PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide....

TUSooner
4/26/2007, 02:17 PM
I'm not much of a partyin' guy these days, but I'm getting into the NO Jazzfest Saturday to work in a beer booth for a few hours. Then I get turned loose to eat, drink, and listen. From 5:30 til 7, the two biggest closing acts (if you dont count Ludacris and Linda Hopkins, "die große Diva des Blues und Gospel" - and I don't) are Rod Stewart and Norah Jones -- at totally opposite ends of the grounds.

I saw Rod a coupla times in the old days, and I'm not sure if I really want to hear the same songs I've heard a thousand times. If I thought he'd sing some of the jazz standards that he's recorded lately, I'd probably sit tight right there, but, ironically, I expect more old rock than jazz from him at the "jazz" festival.
Norah could be intriguing (plus she's younger and better looking than Rod). I'm tending toward checking out Norah for "something different", with the option of schlepping over to Rod if "different" turns out to be "dull."

Your enlightened views (or any others) are welcome!

C&CDean
4/26/2007, 02:20 PM
All the earlier acts are always way better than the "big" acts. Just sayin'.

slickdawg
4/26/2007, 02:24 PM
I'd pick Rod, given those choices.

TUSooner
4/26/2007, 02:25 PM
All the earlier acts are always way better than the "big" acts. Just sayin'.

True dat, and there's a ton of 'em.
Here's the whole Saturday line up.
http://www.nojazzfest.com/music/april-28.php
The beer booth is right by the Acura Stage. I'm looking forward to Rockin Dopsie & the Zydeco Twisters, and I hope Johnny Rivers does "Secret Agent Man" :D

C&CDean
4/26/2007, 02:33 PM
Sonny Landreth, Tab Benoit, and Richie Havens would be a few to hit.

TUSooner
4/26/2007, 02:40 PM
Sonny Landreth, Tab Benoit, and Richie Havens would be a few to hit.
Indeed. I'm pretty (as in very) ignorant, but a local piano guru I know really touts Sonny Landreth's slide guitar. I might get to hear him in the park outside my office in a week or 3.

C&CDean
4/26/2007, 02:40 PM
You need to go Friday too. Van Morrison, Dr. John, Big Al Carson, and Percy Sledge.....holy ****, did you look at the next weekend? ZZTop, Counting Crows, Better than Ezra, George Benson, Allman Brothers, Steely Dan, Harry Connick Jr, Taj Mahal, etc.

TUSooner
4/26/2007, 02:47 PM
You need to go Friday too. Van Morrison, Dr. John, Big Al Carson, and Percy Sledge.....holy ****, did you look at the next weekend? ZZTop, Counting Crows, Better than Ezra, George Benson, Allman Brothers, Steely Dan, Harry Connick Jr, Taj Mahal, etc.
Next weekend I have to go to Memphis. :rolleyes:
Tomorrow is that "job" thing I do to get groceries.
Even a Tragically Unhip dude such as I can see there's enough good tunes out there to make you salivate like Pavlov's ****ing dog.

slickdawg
4/26/2007, 02:49 PM
Will Terrence and Philip be there singing Uncle fu**a?

GottaHavePride
4/26/2007, 03:25 PM

Are you insane? Norah Jones, unlike Rod Stewart, can sing. Go hear her. Rod Stewart's voice makes me want to stab my eardrums out after 30 seconds.

Beef
4/26/2007, 03:26 PM
NTTAWWT