PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Awake??

Shneeg11
4/26/2007, 03:08 AM
I should not have waited until the last minute to write a philosophy paper!! I'm bored, and looking for excuses to not write it.... This is my first thread too, its pretty pointless, but if anyone else reads this, i am sorry for wasting your time. you will never get this 30 seconds back, but if you are a slow reader, you will never get this 2 minutes back. I hate Les Miles...

soonerboomer93
4/26/2007, 03:13 AM
i should neg you for taking that 5 minutes of my life.......

Shneeg11
4/26/2007, 03:30 AM
That wouldn't be very polite, but isn't it like 5:30 over there? so you don't really count for still being awake... but whats the business in Korea?

Shneeg11
4/26/2007, 03:32 AM
o ya, i got the five minute joke...if it was a joke, or i just completely made fun of you reading slow, which i feel bad about, my bad....i was gonna make a hooked on phonics joke, but decided against it

SteelClip49
4/26/2007, 04:24 AM
only 45 posts and you got to post a new thread. hmmmm

Shneeg11
4/26/2007, 04:27 AM
ya, I'm a noob, i have read these for awhile, but never really posted or anything, b/c i do it really just to see other people's opinions, but every now and then i chime in, i thought it was supposed to be 100 posts, but it lets me

SteelClip49
4/26/2007, 04:34 AM
hell, you have a lot of green speks already. Took me 120+ to receive a total of 3.

BTW, I know how you feel about procrastinating. I have a freakin broadcast news package assignment due by friday (last day of classes before finals) and this has to be the worst one I have done yet. Oh well, as long as I make a B on it I will be ok.

King Crimson
4/26/2007, 04:35 AM
i've got grading to do, so the procrastination thing is familiar to me.

write the paper.

Shneeg11
4/26/2007, 04:51 AM
I'm writing it, IMO philosophy is sooo boring tho, but I'm workin on it. grading? what do you teach?

King Crimson
4/26/2007, 05:03 AM
I'm writing it, IMO philosophy is sooo boring tho, but I'm workin on it. grading? what do you teach?

i teach Media Studies at Colorado.

what's the paper about?

Shneeg11
4/26/2007, 05:13 AM
Thats cool, It's about Hard Determinism and in particular the views of Roderick Chisholm in "Human Freedom and the Self" BLAH! You grading papers? or projects? and is that an upper level course?

King Crimson
4/26/2007, 05:20 AM
papers. the class i have now is the Information Society, it's a lower division class. Media Studies is an inter-disciplinary quasi-department that combines telecom, econ, poli sci, soc, and journalism....to a degree.

don't know anything about Chisholm....but it's clear that hard determinsim and "freedom and the self" are going to be at odds.

Shneeg11
4/26/2007, 05:29 AM
ya, they are, reading things that philosophers write is fairly difficult for me to understand, but that is very true, ya, i'm still a freshman trying to figure out what i want to do with my life. I'm thinking about marketing, because i started out pre-med, but i couldn't cut it in my chem class. Although that could be contributed to a lack of effort.

King Crimson
4/26/2007, 05:46 AM
you don't have to figure out what you want to do with your life right now, just hammer out this paper and be done with it. find a quotation that seems central to this Chisholm cat's argument and work off that. explain it.

what yer prof is prolly looking for is some combo of freedom and determination. things like history and social place in the world are determining aspects of our "agency"/freedom in the world. we don't choose these things, they choose us. speaking english is a good example....no one chooses to speak english per se, we are born into a set of circumstances whereby that's what we do. in that sense, we are structured/determined by our social and historical circumstances.

Shneeg11
4/26/2007, 05:52 AM
Thanks King, thats real good advice, and nice example! I'm impressed, but I mean you are the prof, and I am the student. What's the craziest thing you have ever seen in one of your classes?

King Crimson
4/26/2007, 06:01 AM
I'm just some dude. i have a job like everyone else...

craziest thing, I don't know. I'm only about 6 years into the whole professional teaching gig......to be honest, students are pretty funny. they think they are getting away with all kinds of stuff "that you don't see". the laptop in the classroom thing is pretty funny as are student emails about missing class. they run the gamut: sick, grandmothers and g-paws drop dead like flies around midterms and when papers are due, electricity went out so my alarm clock didn't go off, locked out of the house, my roommates had a party and i couldn't study, so i had to party too, etc.

Vaevictis
4/26/2007, 06:05 AM
I'm busy gathering documentation for my business school application.

Fun, fun fun.

This after getting about 4 hours of sleep in the last 24 hours, having had to study for a test in one of my least favorite classes ever. Absolutely thrilling.

Shneeg11
4/26/2007, 06:07 AM
Thats a pretty modest outlook on things. Haha, it's funny sitting in a lecture and you have people on laptops instant messaging, and playing games and such. I can't believe someone actually used the excuse of partying. There would be absolutely no sympathy for that. I guess honesty is the best policy..... but they probably would have been better off not saying anything. Do you plan on staying in Colorado for awhile?

Vaevictis
4/26/2007, 06:11 AM
I also just noticed I have 3200 posts on here. This is starting to get into the territory where I begin calculating how much money I would have earned if I had worked instead of hanging out here.

Shneeg11
4/26/2007, 06:15 AM
haha, but would it have been as much fun and informative?

Vaevictis
4/26/2007, 06:19 AM
Fun? Maybe not.

Informative? Man, you are new here. About the only thing less informative than the SO is being on the receiving end of an ice pick to your frontal lobe.

LoyalFan
4/26/2007, 06:19 AM
Yes, *$&^^@~!, I AM awake.

Tried to crash at Midnight, set alarm for 0630 so as to launch bassboat on time. Cat kept licking my face and hands. Got up, went to Taco Cabana. Came home bearing goodies. Ate some. Went back to bed 0200. Cat resumed perverted acts.
Finally drifted off circa 0230. Awoke with full bladder at 0330. Been up ever since.
Will spend 10 hours annoying the bass between spurts of driving boat at Mach-something. Will drive 'er on the trailer at dark then dodge deer back to town.
Wot fun!

Help meeeeeee!

LF

Shneeg11
4/26/2007, 06:23 AM
Fun? Maybe not.

Informative? Man, you are new here. About the only thing less informative than the SO is being on the receiving end of an ice pick to your frontal lobe.

Haha, I'm really not that new, I don't have many posts, but I've been reading for awhile, and its hard to display emotion, i guess i should have used a smiley, because the informative part was completely sarcastic, it is quite entertaining though.

and man LF, I wish I was going fishin with ya, it would be a lot better than writing this paper, best of luck to ya with the fishin, which ways the wind blowin? if it's out of the west, fishins the best, if it's out of the east, fishins the least...i forgot the north and south ones, so i'll spare you

Vaevictis
4/26/2007, 06:26 AM
... i guess i should have used a smiley, because the informative part was completely sarcastic, it is quite entertaining though.

Heh, me too :D

Shneeg11
4/26/2007, 06:28 AM
The ice pick quip was pretty creative though, well done....

Vaevictis
4/26/2007, 06:29 AM
Rawr.

King Crimson
4/26/2007, 06:30 AM
i wish we still had Taco Cabana in Boulder.

Shneeg11
4/26/2007, 06:35 AM
Taco Cabana is soo good! we still have one in Norman, it is so much better than Bell or Bueno, and Taco Mayo is not even in the conversation. The three taco combo, or fajita nachos is what its all about. I will give Taco Bell the edge on cost tho, it is really cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Vaevictis
4/26/2007, 06:38 AM
Meh, time to go do some work.

Damned roadside kit isn't checking in, gotta go see what's wrong with it.

Shneeg11
4/26/2007, 06:39 AM
Best of Luck to ya V

Vaevictis
4/26/2007, 06:39 AM
Heh, it's probably just that the cell phone software crashed and needs to be reset.

Probably be back in 20-30 minutes, assuming I don't get myself run over.

Shneeg11
4/26/2007, 06:41 AM
You are probably already gone, but what is it you do for a living?

LoyalFan
4/26/2007, 06:41 AM
and man LF, I wish I was going fishin with ya, it would be a lot better than writing this paper, best of luck to ya with the fishin, which ways the wind blowin? if it's out of the west, fishins the best, if it's out of the east, fishins the least...i forgot the north and south ones, so i'll spare you

Well, on Beautiful Canyon Lake, The Jewel Of The Texas Hill Country, the best winds, so far as fishability goes, are Southeast, mild Northeast, and Northwest, due to the orientation of the lake.
Frankly, Canyon bass are so stewpit that we catch 'em in any wind.
Get a screaming Easterly, Norther, or Southerly and it get tough for the guy on the trollmotor, in most desirable areas.

Well, time to inject self with 100 ccs of pure caffeine...

Hope your paper turns out well. I made a ton of $$ in college writing for the meatheads and idlers.

LF

Shneeg11
4/26/2007, 06:42 AM
Thank ya, haha, i've made some money doing that as well. good luck on the fishing LF, what you throwin?

soonerboomer93
4/26/2007, 06:47 AM
I'm just some dude. i have a job like everyone else...

craziest thing, I don't know. I'm only about 6 years into the whole professional teaching gig......to be honest, students are pretty funny. they think they are getting away with all kinds of stuff "that you don't see". the laptop in the classroom thing is pretty funny as are student emails about missing class. they run the gamut: sick, grandmothers and g-paws drop dead like flies around midterms and when papers are due, electricity went out so my alarm clock didn't go off, locked out of the house, my roommates had a party and i couldn't study, so i had to party too, etc.

heck, if they're gonna be that honest, i'd be like, word...

Shneeg11
4/26/2007, 06:54 AM
Haha, there's another outlook, at this point in my life, I would say that too, but if I was the prof, I doubt that would fly

SteelClip49
4/26/2007, 08:17 AM
Well, I have been at UCO since 6am working on a news package, which I am 3/4 done, and just killing time here before my 930 class. Last Day is tomorrow folled by finals next week. This has been one hell of a year. Too bad I could not say that about my 2 years at OU.

BTW Shneeg, what is your major?

Vaevictis
4/26/2007, 08:18 AM
You are probably already gone, but what is it you do for a living?

Student and research assistant.

Almost done with MS ECE, once I'm done there, either go earn some money, or get my MBA. Not sure yet.

Shneeg11
4/26/2007, 09:03 AM
Well, I have been at UCO since 6am working on a news package, which I am 3/4 done, and just killing time here before my 930 class. Last Day is tomorrow folled by finals next week. This has been one hell of a year. Too bad I could not say that about my 2 years at OU.

BTW Shneeg, what is your major?

OUathdept, my major right now is letters, i started out with pretty lofty goals, i started out zoology-biomedical sciences to go pre-med, now letters to go pre-law, but i may go into marketing, or something business related, and then if i still want to, i will take the LSAT, but we will see, whats yours?

C&CDean
4/26/2007, 09:18 AM
Geez. This thread made my ****ing eyes bleed.

SteelClip49
4/26/2007, 10:54 AM
geez shneeg...you are quite the go-getter. While you are at it, why not run for POTUS.

Broadcasting major, Business administration minor.