PDA

View Full Version : My car battery died today

proud gonzo
4/25/2007, 01:36 PM
So, usually on Mondays and Wednesdays I get out of my journalism class, park by Catlett, and walk somewhere for lunch before orchestra rehearsal. But today I decided to be cheap, so I went to Burger King on 12th and Alameda for lunch. I got back in my car and it wouldn't start. It didn't try to start or go click click. It did absolutely nothing. :les: So I called AAA and they sent out a tow truck to try to jump my car (because this, of course, is the one week GHP's out of town). :norm:

So tow-truck guy shows up and tries to jump my car. It makes the click click noise now, but still nothing. Fortunately, though, Burger King is right next door to O'Reilly Auto Parts. So I walked over and asked a guy from the store to test my battery for me. He said it was pretty much dead. Unfortunately, they aren't allowed to replace batteries...for some weird reason... but the tow-truck guy said he'd replace it for me if the O'Reilly guy would let him use some tools.

So I went next door, bought a new battery, and tow-truck guy replaced it for me. And I missed orchestra rehearsal. So all in all, it's been a pretty good day.
:twinkies:

sanantoniosooner
4/25/2007, 01:44 PM
this is an awesome tool to keep in the trunk (http://toolmonger.com/2006/10/31/hands-on-huskys-portable-acdc-power-system-4/)

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/post-huskypowerhead.jpg

I got one form my wife.

yermom
4/25/2007, 01:53 PM
that thing is pretty cool...

how much are they?

Frozen Sooner
4/25/2007, 01:55 PM
You don't carry your own jumper cables?

edit: I'm just surprised. You generally seem pretty capable of taking care of stuff like this on your own.

C&CDean
4/25/2007, 01:56 PM
So, usually on Mondays and Wednesdays I get out of my journalism class, park by Catlett, and walk somewhere for lunch before orchestra rehearsal. But today I decided to be cheap, so I went to Burger King on 12th and Alameda for lunch. I got back in my car and it wouldn't start. It didn't try to start or go click click. It did absolutely nothing. :les: So I called AAA and they sent out a tow truck to try to jump my car (because this, of course, is the one week GHP's out of town). :norm:

So tow-truck guy shows up and tries to jump my car. It makes the click click noise now, but still nothing. Fortunately, though, Burger King is right next door to O'Reilly Auto Parts. So I walked over and asked a guy from the store to test my battery for me. He said it was pretty much dead. Unfortunately, they aren't allowed to replace batteries...for some weird reason... but the tow-truck guy said he'd replace it for me if the O'Reilly guy would let him use some tools.

So I went next door, bought a new battery, and tow-truck guy replaced it for me. And I missed orchestra rehearsal. So all in all, it's been a pretty good day.

geez. You're such a girl.

sanantoniosooner
4/25/2007, 01:57 PM
that thing is pretty cool...

how much are they?
$90

jumps batteries, airs up flats, built in LED light, built in inverter, and I don't remember what else. From Home Depot
from the site

If you’re considering a portable jump start unit — and you should — Husky’s is one of the better ones we’ve seen. It’d be worth owning for the jump start functionality alone, but its extended feature set (inverter, 12V power, air compressor, area light) make it the ultimate unit to have in the trunk on a trip — or to carry with you if you think your car might have issues. You can air up a flat tire, jump start the car, or even plug your phone charger in to call for help.

proud gonzo
4/25/2007, 02:03 PM
You don't carry your own jumper cables?

edit: I'm just surprised. You generally seem pretty capable of taking care of stuff like this on your own.I think I used to, but now they're in GHP's trunk because he needs them more often... my car's a lot newer (it's a 2001) so it's never had any problems.

Anyway, jumper cables didn't really help in this case. I could change batteries myself, but I didn't have a wrench. Plus the AAA guy offered to do it for me. :D

It was just weird to me that my car was totally fine, and then i stopped for lunch and 15 minutes later my battery was dead. and I didn't leave my lights on or anything.

proud gonzo
4/25/2007, 02:03 PM
$90

jumps batteries, airs up flats, built in LED light, built in inverter, and I don't remember what else. From Home Depot
from the sitethat's pretty cool, but I think I'll just stick with calling AAA ;)

proud gonzo
4/25/2007, 02:05 PM
geez. You're such a girl.what? I didn't have an alternate ride, jumper cables, or tools. Did you want me to whip up a new battery out of Burger King ketchup packets and straws? :P

OUDoc
4/25/2007, 02:06 PM
Martha Stewart could.

sanantoniosooner
4/25/2007, 02:07 PM
that's pretty cool, but I think I'll just stick with calling AAA ;)
AAA doesn't give you the option of being a good samaritan and help someone else out.

If you are in a hurry, it could be a huge help.

I don't get a bonus if you get one though. This is just information.

C&CDean
4/25/2007, 02:07 PM
what? I didn't have an alternate ride, jumper cables, or tools. Did you want me to whip up a new battery out of Burger King ketchup packets and straws? :P

Well, yeah.

StuIsTheMan
4/25/2007, 02:09 PM
So did the tow truck driver at least leave with a "smile on his face"...he deserved one.:D

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/25/2007, 02:12 PM
Putcher cup on, dude...here she comes...

StuIsTheMan
4/25/2007, 02:14 PM
Putcher cup on, dude...here she comes...

why's that?...besides its at home...

proud gonzo
4/25/2007, 02:15 PM
AAA doesn't give you the option of being a good samaritan and help someone else out.

If you are in a hurry, it could be a huge help.

I don't get a bonus if you get one though. This is just information.well, that's true about the in a hurry part. But as far as being a good samaritan, I don't stop to help people. If I saw a big wreck or something, i'd probably stop to help people. But when it comes to people broken down on the side of the road... maybe if i was a guy I'd stop and help. But generally I don't think that's a great idea when you're a tiny, blonde chick. I guess I'd rather be overly-cautious than too trusting.

So did the tow truck driver at least leave with a "smile on his face"...he deserved one.:Dhe smiled when i said "thanks". How's your spekker feel?

slickdawg
4/25/2007, 02:15 PM
what? I didn't have an alternate ride, jumper cables, or tools. Did you want me to whip up a new battery out of Burger King ketchup packets and straws? :P

I'd call you McGonzo if you could.

sanantoniosooner
4/25/2007, 02:18 PM
pg.........a person in need is not always a stranger on the highway.

Sometimes they are friend in the next parking spot.

You don't have to justify anything.

StuIsTheMan
well, that's true about the in a hurry part. But as far as being a good samaritan, I don't stop to help people. If I saw a big wreck or something, i'd probably stop to help people. But when it comes to people broken down on the side of the road... maybe if i was a guy I'd stop and help. But generally I don't think that's a great idea when you're a tiny, blonde chick. I guess I'd rather be overly-cautious than too trusting.
he smiled when i said "thanks". How's your spekker feel?

I got a million of them here but my nooby sence is telling me to leave well enough alone so...And Spek smeck...LA DE FICKEN DAH!!!

TheHumanAlphabet
this is an awesome tool to keep in the trunk (http://toolmonger.com/2006/10/31/hands-on-huskys-portable-acdc-power-system-4/)

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/post-huskypowerhead.jpg

I got one form my wife.

'zactly! My wife has one as well. One non-functioning battery too many. She got it from Sears for around $100.

Actually after we bought this, I was tinkering with the battery (a side poster) and found the pos post was not tight in the battery. A couple of turns on the wrench and the thing was in tight and started off just fine. Another incident happened about 2 months later. The Mrs. had tools to tighten it, did so and it started fine after that. Damned side post batteries!!!

proud gonzo
4/25/2007, 02:20 PM
pg.........a person in need is not always a stranger on the highway.
Sometimes they are friend in the next parking spot.
well, that's true, i guess.

yermom
4/25/2007, 02:21 PM
'zactly! My wife has one as well. One non-functioning battery too many. She got it from Sears for around $100.

Actually after we bought this, I was tinkering with the battery (a side poster) and found the pos post was not tight in the battery. A couple of turns on the wrench and the thing was in tight and started off just fine. Another incident happened about 2 months later. The Mrs. had tools to tighten it, did so and it started fine after that. Damned side post batteries!!!

yeah, i've always hated the side post batteries

sanantoniosooner
4/25/2007, 02:27 PM
nice of you to almost concede it.:D

olevetonahill
4/25/2007, 03:32 PM
But if they are a friend you can always call AAA and say your the driver ;)

proud gonzo
4/25/2007, 03:37 PM
But if they are a friend you can always call AAA and say your the driver ;)true! :D

sanantoniosooner
4/25/2007, 03:39 PM
yeah, you just gotta devote all that time to hang around.

soonerboomer93
4/25/2007, 07:07 PM

well, aren't you really a female McGuyver????

soonerboomer93
4/25/2007, 07:08 PM
Putcher kevlar on, dude...here she comes...

fixed

ChickSoonerFan
4/25/2007, 08:24 PM
But if they are a friend you can always call AAA and say your the driver ;)

My AAA stuff says it works even if I am just a passenger in the car.

Oh, and PG...I had a dream about you last night, I was trying to find your house because you and GHP were having a party/tailgate thingy at your house and you had invited the SF crowd, only I couldn't find it so I was trying to decide if I should call you or GHP for directions, and I think I had a fellow SF poster with me. Then I realized I didn't have your phone numbers.

Anyways, that is the second dream I have had about another female poster that involved driving and directions...only the first one was VK and she called ME for directions..I think. Which is never a good idea. Or maybe I called her, I would have to go find the thread.

That's all. Didn't mean to jack your thread. :)

soonerboomer93
4/25/2007, 08:25 PM
huh

olevetonahill
4/25/2007, 08:33 PM
My AAA stuff says it works even if I am just a passenger in the car.

Oh, and PG...I had a dream about you last night, I was trying to find your house because you and GHP were having a party/tailgate thingy at your house and you had invited the SF crowd, only I couldn't find it so I was trying to decide if I should call you or GHP for directions, and I think I had a fellow SF poster with me. Then I realized I didn't have your phone numbers.

Anyways, that is the second dream I have had about another female poster that involved driving and directions...only the first one was VK and she called ME for directions..I think. Which is never a good idea. Or maybe I called her, I would have to go find the thread.

That's all. Didn't mean to jack your thread. :)

Go on .

Soonerus
4/25/2007, 09:44 PM
PG, that's just part of college life...we have all had to deal with weird car issues in college that we don't deal with later...it is part of the "fun" of college...sorry for your inconvenience though....

SicEmBaylor
4/25/2007, 10:46 PM

Heh, that's a coincidence. Mine died today today on campus. I apparently turned the headlights on (I have no clue why) and then went to class...5 hours later it was dead in the parking garage. I had to have a friend come and give me a jump start.

proud gonzo
4/25/2007, 11:12 PM
hehehe

SicEmBaylor
4/25/2007, 11:14 PM
hehehe
We're twinkies!

proud gonzo
4/25/2007, 11:15 PM
I don't know what you mean by that, but it frightens me a little...

olevetonahill
4/25/2007, 11:20 PM
We're twinkies!
No way in hell are you :twinkies: with PG .
SHE knows how to use Jumper cables ;)