PDA

View Full Version : AD's Agent a crook?

Suerreal
4/25/2007, 08:12 AM
What a lovely thing to learn 3 days before the draft...

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ap-marketingagent-charges&prov=ap&type=lgns

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- A marketing agent representing former Oklahoma Sooner running back Adrian Peterson is facing felony charges of commercial bribery and theft.

Bill Henkel, managing director of 10 Sports Marketing, turned himself in to the Johnson County, Kan., sheriff's office on Friday, deputy Tom Erickson said. Henkel posted $10,000 bond and was released the same day.

The charges are related to a sports memorabilia deal that Henkel, the former football marketing director of International Management Group's football division, negotiated involving San Diego Chargers star LaDainian Tomlinson, the Johnson County prosecutor's office said.

In August 2005, Henkel allegedly solicited a kickback for a marketing deal involving the Pro Bowl running back, then received a portion of the kickback without the knowledge of Tomlinson or IMG. A complaint issued by the district attorney's office places the value of the theft between $1,000 and $25,000.

- Sue

sooner518
4/25/2007, 08:25 AM
<:stunned:>Those gooners are finally exposed for the cheaters that they are and this proves it!!! Team on the rise, team on the rise!! <:stunned:>

Texas Golfer
4/25/2007, 09:44 AM
What really bothers me is that there seems to be an anti-OU media bias. This article has AD's name in the headline to indicate a possible involvement yet AD's name is only mentioned in the first and last paragraphs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ap-marketingagent-charges&prov=ap&type=lgns

Marketing agent for Peterson charged with bribery, theft

April 24, 2007

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- A marketing agent representing former Oklahoma Sooner running back Adrian Peterson is facing felony charges of commercial bribery and theft.

Bill Henkel, managing director of 10 Sports Marketing, turned himself in to the Johnson County, Kan., sheriff's office on Friday, deputy Tom Erickson said. Henkel posted $10,000 bond and was released the same day.

The charges are related to a sports memorabilia deal that Henkel, the former football marketing director of International Management Group's football division, negotiated involving San Diego Chargers star LaDainian Tomlinson, the Johnson County prosecutor's office said.

In August 2005, Henkel allegedly solicited a kickback for a marketing deal involving the Pro Bowl running back, then received a portion of the kickback without the knowledge of Tomlinson or IMG. A complaint issued by the district attorney's office places the value of the theft between $1,000 and $25,000.

"To make it clear, there are no charges against LaDainian Tomlinson," said Brian Burgess, a spokesman for the district attorney's office.

A message left for Henkel by The Associated Press on Tuesday was not immediately returned. His attorney, Cheryl Pilate in Kansas City, Mo., said the case will be "very vigorously defended."

"Mr. Henkel has said he'll allow the loyalty of the players he represents to speak for itself as the matter gets resolved," Pilate said.

A spokesman for IMG had no immediate comment.

Among the witnesses listed on the district attorney's complaint are Tomlinson, his business manager, Lamar Andrews, and his agent, Tom Condon.

Condon, who also represents Peyton and Eli Manning, worked for IMG until last year, when he left to join Creative Artists Agency. A message left for Condon by The Associated Press on Tuesday was not immediately returned.

Cleveland-based IMG filed a lawsuit against Henkel last year, accusing him of breaking the nonsolicitation part of his employment agreement by trying to steal clients when he founded 10 Sports Marketing in Overland Park, Kan.

Tomlinson supported IMG's claims in a signed affidavit, stating Henkel tried to persuade him to leave IMG for Henkel's firm.

Peterson, the runner-up for the Heisman Trophy in 2004, ran for 4,045 yards in three seasons with the Sooners. He is expected to be the first running back taken in this weekend's NFL draft.

Beef
4/25/2007, 10:25 AM
I think you're reading too much into this.

picasso
4/25/2007, 10:30 AM
won't hurt AD a bit. I'm sure publicist and agent types are a dime a dozen.

Texas Golfer
4/25/2007, 10:39 AM
I think you're reading too much into this.

It's not like I'm on some kind of crusade. But the only reason I even clicked on the media report was because of AD's name in the title of the article (with a negative slant) yet the article had nothing to do with AD.

Like on the other thread about AD being on the cover of SI, it says "Adrian Peterson: High Draft or High Risk".

There just seems to be a negative slant from the media lately.

Ruuuuuufus
4/25/2007, 10:54 AM
AD's agent is Tom Condon of CAA Football. That guy is just a marketing schmuck

Texas Golfer
4/25/2007, 11:09 AM

AD and Tomlinson shared both Condon and Henkel.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/25/2007, 11:15 AM
An agent a crook? Sorry nope dont believe it

TheUnnamedSooner
4/25/2007, 12:06 PM
AD and Tomlinson shared both Condon and Henkel.

Well, at least they used a condon.

Suerreal
4/25/2007, 01:08 PM

Thanks for the clarification. The article said marketing agent, and I didn't appreciate the difference.

I guess a marketing agent is mainly for pursuing shoe, energy drink, and toilet paper endorsement contracts? AD sure would look pretty in one of those Gatorade ads with the brightly colored perspiration drops. Mmmmmm...

- Sue

the dude
4/25/2007, 03:58 PM
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]It's not like I'm on some kind of crusade. But the only reason I even clicked on the media report was because of AD's name in the title of the article (with a negative slant) yet the article had nothing to do with AD.

I see what you're saying and agree. Not sure why they'd use AD there - Tomlinson would've been a more recognizable name and would get more clicks than AD... i don't get how these people think sometimes.

Soonermagik
4/25/2007, 04:44 PM
Well, at least they used a condon.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fwsooner22
4/25/2007, 05:03 PM
Yawn!

T_Boner
4/25/2007, 09:46 PM
I always assumed all agents were crooks???

goingoneight
4/25/2007, 10:08 PM
I always assumed the NFL was a joke, but that's just me.

[Team A fan] Yippee Skippy, we got Brady Quinn!!! Team on the rise!!!
(Team A trades BQ to team B)
[Team A fan] Gawdamn Domers never work out in the league anyways...
(nobody around to see... Team A fan puts Super Bowl Champion merchandise on)
[Team A fan] GOOOOOOOO COLTS!!!