PDA

View Full Version : any science gurus splain this?

85Sooner
4/24/2007, 03:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSPzMva9_CE

That is what I could use for Margaritas

how does this work?

yermom
4/24/2007, 03:57 PM
the pressure of the water in the bottle is keeping it from freezing would be my guess, once it's poured out, the water can expand and form into crystals

probably also something about needing to transfer more energy to form the crystals as well

mdklatt
4/24/2007, 04:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSPzMva9_CE

That is what I could use for Margaritas

how does this work?

If you read the comments, some people think it's fake. That doesn't look like ice to me, but gel. There's that stuff that turns to gel and expands dramatically when water hits it. Maybe that's what it is? Those who think it's real say that happens when the pressure is released from supercooled water.

Fraggle145
4/24/2007, 04:00 PM
the pressure of the water in the bottle is keeping it from freezing would be my guess, once it's poured out, the water can expand and form into crystals

probably also something about needing to transfer more energy to form the crystals as well

Think that is correct. Need Ike this is a physics thing.

yermom
4/24/2007, 04:02 PM
i've seen similar when i used to freeze those plastic bottles of lemonade, occasionally i'd time it right that it would be just cold enough that it wouldn't freeze until i opened it

mdklatt
4/24/2007, 04:07 PM
i've seen similar when i used to freeze those plastic bottles of lemonade, occasionally i'd time it right that it would be just cold enough that it wouldn't freeze until i opened it

In the video there's a cut, and then the last bit of remaining water is poured out and "freezes" its way into the bottle. Why didn't that little bit of water flash freeze inside the bottle on its own once the pressure had been released?

yermom
4/24/2007, 04:13 PM
i think that is from the temperature differential between the water in the bottle touching the water in the bowl allowing enough heat to transfer out and form ice

Fraggle145
4/24/2007, 04:17 PM
i think that is from the temperature differential between the water in the bottle touching the water in the bowl allowing enough heat to transfer out and form ice

ya I think so... its sorta like the same idea when you open a beer that is too cold it flash freezes at the top, well somehow they mustve gotten this water to a almost freezing inside the bottle without making the pressure change until it was poured out.

yermom
4/24/2007, 04:20 PM
i think that at the temperature it's at it can't transfer enough heat with the air to crystallize, it needs to hit the bowl

soonerbrat
4/24/2007, 04:34 PM
there was another video right after that...supercooled experiment 4..i think it was just really freaking cold outside.

soonerbrat
4/24/2007, 04:35 PM
he said it was -16C
so that would make it 23F

not THAT cold, but cold enough to freeze water pretty fast.

mdklatt
4/24/2007, 04:38 PM
he said it was -16C
so that would make it 23F

not THAT cold, but cold enough to freeze water pretty fast.

-16 C is 3 F.

yermom
4/24/2007, 04:40 PM
yeah, it looks like the ambient temperature is like -16 Celcius

i think it's in some kind of stable equilibrium that when disturbed is broken and it freezes

soonerbrat
4/24/2007, 04:41 PM
-16 C is 3 F.

that's what i get for trying to calculate in my head.

mdklatt
4/24/2007, 04:41 PM

i think it's in some kind of stable equilibrium that when disturbed is broken and it freezes

That's what happens with freezing rain.

BajaOklahoma
4/24/2007, 04:53 PM
Need Ike this is a physics thing.

Now that he is a Doc, he is too good to hang around us. :mad:

Widescreen
4/24/2007, 04:55 PM
In the video there's a cut, and then the last bit of remaining water is poured out and "freezes" its way into the bottle. Why didn't that little bit of water flash freeze inside the bottle on its own once the pressure had been released?
Why does it always have to be global warming with you? :P

Fraggle145
4/24/2007, 05:00 PM
Why does it always have to be global warming with you? :P

HAHAHAHAHA! :eek: :D

soonerboomer93
4/24/2007, 10:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_H5ZIoZSBo&mode=related&search=

they have kinda the reverse where you should be careful about boiling water in a microwave. if there's nothing to disrupt the surface tension, the water can become super heated, when you pull it out and it moves, the water spew from the cup

Ike
4/25/2007, 08:55 AM

the water has been supercooled prior to the experiments, meaning that it's temperature is below the freezing point of water, but that there is no crystal structure in the bottle to seed the formation of ice. Once the water is poured out, the glass could either have seed crystals in it to induce a flash freeze, or the glass itself can induce the flash freeze.

PS, water has to be pretty pure in order to supercool it far below the freezing point. Tap water in most cities probably won't do.

SoonerAtKU
4/25/2007, 09:01 AM
Same thing goes for superheating water in a microwave, yes? Smooth glass surface with no ridges for bubbles to form, keeps the water liquid at a much higher temp than usual. Then, you go to get your water out, you shake it, and it all boils at once, scalding you all to little bits.

Ike
4/25/2007, 09:04 AM
Same thing goes for superheating water in a microwave, yes? Smooth glass surface with no ridges for bubbles to form, keeps the water liquid at a much higher temp than usual. Then, you go to get your water out, you shake it, and it all boils at once, scalding you all to little bits.

very similar I believe.