PDA

View Full Version : Peterson "moves into" top 5.

OU-HSV
4/24/2007, 01:43 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6731206?MSNHPHMA

msn/foxsports just updated their mock draft. AD is on the front of msn.com right now. They show AD on the rise.

Mock draft: Peterson moves into top five

Derek Harper/NFLDraftScout.com / Sports Xchange
Posted: 1 hour ago

MOCK DRAFT: Round 1
Pick Team Player Pos. School Class Previous Rising/Falling High/Low
1. Raiders JaMarcus Russell QB LSU Junior 1st SAME 1st / 1st
Draft day is almost upon us, and this is still hardly a slam dunk pick. Many insiders believe Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson is the No. 1 name on the Raiders' draft board -- as he is for most of the league's 31 other teams. But a franchise quarterback is still far more valuable than an All-Pro wide receiver, and Russell's all-world arm should eventually prove too enticing for Al Davis to pass up.

2. Lions Calvin Johnson WR Georgia Tech Junior 2nd SAME 2nd / 4th
Trade rumors will continue to swirl around this pick until the Lions deal it or are on the clock Saturday. Picking a receiver in the first round for the fourth time in five years will bring more heat upon embattled GM Matt Millen, but Johnson is simply too talented to drop below No. 2 -- whether it's the Lions or another team like Tampa Bay or Washington trading up to get him. In the Lions' perfect world, Johnson is available, they get a bounty for the pick and slide down a few spots and land Clemson DE Gaines Adams.

3. Browns Adrian Peterson RB Oklahoma Senior 7th (+4) 3rd / 12th
So the Browns brought in Jamal Lewis to be their workhorse. But remember that it's only a one-year deal, and all four teams that reached the conference championship games last season featured a 1-2 punch in the backfield. The Browns need to show significant improvement in 2007 for GM Phil Savage and coach Romeo Crennel to be around next year. Local favorite Brady Quinn would be the more popular choice among the fan base, but Peterson can step and be the immediate big-play back after Lewis' power running has worn defenses down.

4. Buccaneers Gaines Adams DE Clemson Senior 4th SAME 4th / 5th
The Bucs covet Johnson, but drafting Adams certainly wouldn't be a bad alternative. DE Simeon Rice is recovering from shoulder surgery, and Adams' presence could lead to Rice playing elsewhere in 2007. The line could also use an infusion of youth, with Rice (entering his 12th season), Kevin Carter (13th) and Greg Spires (10th) the only ends on the roster with significant NFL experience.

5. Cardinals Joe Thomas OT Wisconsin Senior 5th SAME 3rd / 5th
New coach Ken Whisenhunt wants to protect the passing lanes in front of left-handed QB Matt Leinart and improve the blocking for RB Edgerrin James. Instead of flipping RT Oliver Ross to the left side, where he hasn't played in the pros, or rely on slowing veteran Mike Gandy, the Cardinals can insert NFL-ready Thomas into the slot and immediately upgrade both facets of the offense.

6. Redskins Amobi Okoye DT Louisville Senior 6th SAME 6th / 9th
The revelation last week that Okoye admitted to previous marijuana use during team interviews at the Combine won't affect his draft status. The Redskins are always a candidate to move up or down, but should they keep the pick, they desperately need help along their defensive line. With Cornelius Griffin declining the past two seasons and Joe Salave'a on his last NFL legs, the Redskins need a big body up front. Okoye did an excellent job of keeping blockers off the linebackers behind him while at Louisville, and has a tremendous ceiling as he will be just 19 on draft day.

7. Vikings Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame Senior 3rd (-4) 2nd / 7th
The Vikings would have to be giddy should Quinn fall into their lap. Second-year QB Tarvaris Jackson would be the Week 1 starter right now, but he struggled when thrown into the fire the second half of his rookie season, and appears at least a year away from proving whether he's a legitimate NFL starter. Quinn, meanwhile, comes NFL-ready, having played the past two years for Irish coach Charlie Weis. He'd be a good fit in Vikings coach Brad Childress' West Coast offense, and could challenge for the starting job in training camp.

8. Falcons
(from Texans) LaRon Landry FS LSU Senior 7th SAME 6th / 8th
Deep coverage was a significant problem for the Falcons last year, particularly on the side of FS Chris Crocker. Landry is capable of starting at either safety spot, and as one of the draft's top defensive playmakers, he could take over for Crocker early in his rookie season. That would also give the new coaching staff more time to determine if Jimmy Williams is a better long-term fit at corner or safety.

9. Dolphins Levi Brown OT Penn State Senior 10th (+1) 8th / 14th
The line was a concern before LT Damion McIntosh left as a free agent. There's no strong candidate to fill the all-important spot, and Brown is capable of stepping in as the starter from Day 1. Some teams rate him higher than Thomas, and Brown would provide an immediate boost for the running game.

10. Texans
(from Falcons) Jamaal Anderson DE Arkansas Junior 13th (+3) 10th / 19th
The Texans could use more help in the secondary, and adding another pass rusher could kill two birds with one stone. Mario Williams, last year's No. 1 overall pick, struggled to just 4.5 sacks last season, but he was the team's only true pass rushing threat. Adding the highly athletic Anderson would give the team bookend pass rushers to attack opposing quarterbacks before they can attack the secondary.

11. 49ers Adam Carriker DE Nebraska Senior 17th (+6) 11th / 19th
The 49ers are seeking versatile linemen as they continue to implant more of coach Mike Nolan's preferred 3-4 scheme. Carriker has a good combination of size and speed that would allow him to play end or tackle, and he's the type of blue-collar worker the team needs to do the dirty work in the trenches.

12. Bills Patrick Willis LB Ole Miss Senior 12th SAME 11th / 12th
With London Fletcher-Baker and Takeo Spikes sent packing this offseason, the Bills need linebacking help across the board. Willis has been one of the draft's most impressive workout warriors, and has the potential to step in right away in place of Fletcher-Baker as a run-stuffer on the inside.

13. Rams Alan Branch DT Michigan Junior 9th (-4) 9th / 13th
Concerns about possible stress fractures or shin splints in both legs only add to a growing list of red flags about this once-surefire top 10 pick. He failed to impress at his Pro Day, but he still has too much potential as a run-stuffer to fall any further in this draft. The Rams' run defense was pitiful last season, and a major reason has been their inability to adequately fill this hole for many years.

14. Panthers Reggie Nelson S Florida Junior 14th SAME 14th / 17th
The Panthers have a glaring need at strong safety, but FS Mike Minter took a $1.3 million pay cut to stay with the team this season, which he has already announced will be his last. If Nelson can plug the hole on the strong side for a season and learn from the savvy Minter on the field, he can slide to the free side in '08.

15. Steelers Leon Hall CB Michigan Senior 15th SAME 7th / 15th
The Steelers have a bigger need at outside linebacker, but it's doubtful they view one as worthy of this selection. The team is young at cornerback, and Ike Taylor is coming off a very disappointing season after signing a big contract. Hall has big-game experience and can have an immediate impact for a Steelers team seeking a quick rebound season.

16. Packers Marshawn Lynch RB California Junior 19th (+3) 16th / 19th
Ready or not, Lynch would have a chance to make an immediate impact for the Pack, whose roster right now features Vernand Morency, Noah Herron, Arliss Beach and P.J. Pope at running back. Lynch's versatility is what should intrigue the Packers the most. Not only is he capable of leading the rushing attack, but he is an excellent receiver who would provide QB Brett Favre with another weapon underneath now that TE Bubba Franks is clearly on the backside of his career.

17. Jaguars Brandon Meriweather FS Miami (Fla.) Senior 24th (+7) 17th / 30th
The Jaguars have gone offense in the first round in each of the past four years, but it would be shocking if they don't address the other side of the ball this year. They need to upgrade at safety and end, and Nelson, Anderson and Carriker figure to be high on their wish list. Barring one of those three, the Jaguars could pull a mild surprise by reaching a bit for Meriweather. He has first-round talent, but an off-field incident and an ugly role in the Florida International brawl last season created significant red flags. That said, he has the skill and experience to fill in for the free-agent loss of Deon Grant.

18. Bengals Darrelle Revis CB Pittsburgh Junior 18th SAME 13th / 18th
Tory James quietly exited stage left after losing at least a step last season (recently signed with the Patriots), and Deltha O'Neal is coming off a sub par year of his own. The team hit pay dirt with Johnathan Joseph last year, and could create one of the league's better tandems for the next several years by pairing him with Revis.

19. Titans Robert Meachem WR Tennessee Junior 11th (-8) 11th / 19th
David Givens (knee) might not be ready in time for training camp and Drew Bennett left for St. Louis as a free agent. That leaves Brandon Jones and a group of uninspiring wideouts for QB Vince Young to play catch with. Meachem is big, fast and has excellent hands. If the Titans want to see Young develop the passing game, they have to provide playmakers downfield.

20. Giants Chris Houston CB Arkansas Senior 25th (+5) 20th / 26th
The Giants revamped their secondary last offseason with less than stellar results. Corey Webster is coming off a disappointing injury-plagued sophomore season, and Sam Madison continues to slow with each passing year. Houston has tantalizing upside, although No. 20 might be a bit of a reach for a corner who has shown some issues with deep coverage and holding onto potential picks.

Big Red Ron
4/24/2007, 01:49 PM
hmmm

OU-HSV
4/24/2007, 01:53 PM
Just F.Y.I. I gave this it's own thread since it's foxsports. The other draft threads I saw were cnn or yahoo, and so on. I'm all for a Mod merging all these draft threads into one huge azz mega draft thread.

Plus I thought it was interesting they say he's on the rise. Like anything has changed in the last week to make them think he should rise. Or like he should've fallen in the first place.

Big Red Ron
4/24/2007, 01:55 PM
I'm glad you posted it. I was just refereing to some of the guys they have moving up or down.

I like how they mention the Titans and say something like, "With all the receivers that left, all they have is Brandon Jones and a bunch of nobodys."

OSUAggie
4/24/2007, 01:55 PM
He must be eating better, ridding all concerns of his health.

OU-HSV
4/24/2007, 02:02 PM
I'm glad you posted it. I was just refereing to some of the guys they have moving up or down.

I like how they mention the Titans and say something like, "With all the receivers that left, all they have is Brandon Jones and a bunch of nobodys."
That is pretty funny what they said about the titans. I think Meachem will be a stud in the nfl though, he'd be a good grab for the titans.

OU-HSV
4/24/2007, 02:07 PM
He must be eating better, ridding all concerns of his health.
:D

Big Red Ron
4/24/2007, 02:22 PM
I wonder if the Titan Receivers that left realized that Vince would be using his wheels more than his cannon?

Big Red Ron
4/24/2007, 02:30 PM
24.Patriots (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?statsId=17)
(from Seahawks)Aaron Ross (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/draft/prospect?contentId=8790985&year=2007)CBTexasSenior26thhttp://msn.foxsports.com/id/2955960(+2)24th / NRhttp://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/NFL/TeamLogo/Medium/17.gif (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?statsId=17) CB Asante Samuel continues to grumble about the franchise tag the team slapped on him this offseason, and the Patriots might only have him to pair up with Ellis Hobbs for another season at best. The depth behind them is a mishmash of slowing veterans and players who have struggled to stay healthy. Ross has good size at 6-feet-1, and provides additional value as a potential big-player return man. I didn't realize that Ross was a "big play return man." I don't understand how he and the Safety from UT are rated so high but UT had one of the worst secondaries in the Big XII. Weren't they ranked in the 90's?

sooner94
4/24/2007, 02:57 PM
I didn't realize that Ross was a "big play return man." I don't understand how he and the Safety from UT are rated so high but UT had one of the worst secondaries in the Big XII. Weren't they ranked in the 90's?

Exactly what I thought over the weekend when I saw both of those guys as projected 1st rounders in a mock draft. And there is a lot of talk about Tarel (spelling?) Brown being very highly regarding, with character issues holding him back.

OU-HSV
4/24/2007, 03:35 PM
I didn't realize that Ross was a "big play return man." I don't understand how he and the Safety from UT are rated so high but UT had one of the worst secondaries in the Big XII. Weren't they ranked in the 90's?
interesting point

OSUAggie
4/24/2007, 03:55 PM
UT also wasn't great running the ball but a few linemen will get drafted. Stats don't necessarily prove how talented one might be.

mxATVracer10
4/24/2007, 03:57 PM
anyone notice that it has AD listed as a Sr.? :confused:

Widescreen
4/24/2007, 05:03 PM
I wish I had a job where I could throw players names in a hat and draw them out randomly every week. Because it's pretty obvious the way these players move around on that board, there isn't much thought to it beyond "hey, let's screw with the readers by mixing these players up thus making some fans mad and others happy. They'll keep paying attention to us that way." :rolleyes:

snp
4/24/2007, 05:54 PM
10. Texans
(from Falcons) Jamaal Anderson DE Arkansas Junior 13th (+3) 10th / 19th
The Texans could use more help in the secondary, and adding another pass rusher could kill two birds with one stone. Mario Williams, last year's No. 1 overall pick, struggled to just 4.5 sacks last season, but he was the team's only true pass rushing threat. Adding the highly athletic Anderson would give the team bookend pass rushers to attack opposing quarterbacks before they can attack the secondary.

Texans taking another DE with their first pick?

goingoneight
4/24/2007, 07:59 PM
UT also wasn't great running the ball but a few linemen will get drafted. Stats don't necessarily prove how talented one might be.

OSUAggie... you have no idea the irony of that statement. :D

come September, we'll hear about how talented a certain team is because of their "stats" against Florida Atlantic, Sam Houston State, Rice... not just an aggie thing... there were several people who took a trip to the spank bank after we beat almighty Middle Tennessee A&M State Tech before the Cotton Bowl last year.

Stick around, I guarantee you'll see it. :D

sooneron
4/24/2007, 09:57 PM
Who knew that AD was a Sr?!! We did all that conjecturing about him returning next year for no reason!

OSUAggie
4/24/2007, 09:57 PM
OSUAggie... you have no idea the irony of that statement. :D

come September, we'll hear about how talented a certain team is because of their "stats" against Florida Atlantic, Sam Houston State, Rice... not just an aggie thing... there were several people who took a trip to the spank bank after we beat almighty Middle Tennessee A&M State Tech before the Cotton Bowl last year.

Stick around, I guarantee you'll see it. :D

Ah yes, but the necessarily I threw in there allows me to talk about the most powerful offense in the world being as good as the stats indicate... ;)

FlatheadSooner
4/24/2007, 10:10 PM
There's going to be a lot of last minute head scratching..........."what IF those REALLY were just knick-knack injuries"???? :rolleyes:

GO ADRIAN !!!!!!!! :cool:

Suerreal
4/24/2007, 10:25 PM
Since the only change in the top 8 is a flip flop of AD & Brady Quinn, it looks like the only people to have changed their opinion is the management of the Cleveland Browns.

And they've been vacillating between AD & Quinn since AD committed to the draft. Although everybody does it, speculating at this point is kind of like using a super close-up camera to determine whether a spinning coin is heads up or tails up 4 feet off the ground.

Wonder if AD jinxed himself saying publicly that he anticipates being a Brown? (Speculating is contagious...) ;)

- Sue

OU-HSV
4/25/2007, 08:04 AM
I just heard on the radio that the 49ers may be trying to trade up to #2. And that K.C. is possibly shopping Larry Johnson out.