PDA

View Full Version : Cnnsi.com- Inside the NFL

silversooner22
4/24/2007, 12:26 PM
A nice little blurb about Paul Thompson and the draft. Its in the 10 Draft Day Lay-ups article

10. New Orleans takes a late-round flyer on Paul Thompson: We'll grant you that the Oklahoma senior quarterback hasn't generated much pre-draft buzz, but you still might want to remember his name and see where he lands on the NFL map. The Saints make sense, because with Drew Brees firmly entrenched as the starter, they'd have the luxury of time to groom a young quarterback with an impressive set of physical skills and intangibles.

Who's Thompson? He's the guy who bailed out coach Bob Stoops and the Sooners last season, leading Oklahoma to an 11-2 record and a surprise Big 12 Championship Game win over Nebraska before the Sooners' memorable Fiesta Bowl overtime loss to Boise State. That despite Oklahoma losing star running back Adrian Peterson for most of the season with a broken collarbone.

Thompson played receiver for most of 2005 after losing his QB job to Rhett Bomar, but when Bomar was kicked off the Sooners team in August 2006, Thompson rode to the rescue. While some in the NFL see him as another Michael Robinson, the ex-Penn State quarterback turned running back, Thompson is worth a look as a passer. He's 6-4, 220 pounds, and runs a 4.6. He has just the one season as a starting quarterback, but for a team that can afford to have a little patience with him, he could provide a huge payoff.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/04/24/draft/index.html

Collier11
4/24/2007, 12:36 PM
I would love to see him make a team as a qb but I just dont see it happening unless maybe on the practice squad, not that I havent been wrong before many a time!

OU-HSV
4/24/2007, 12:38 PM
nice little read. Thanks for posting

Big Red Ron
4/24/2007, 12:52 PM
woot

Seamus
4/24/2007, 12:53 PM
The thing with the NFL is that the 6-4, 220 guy with a single year as a starter will usually get the look before the 6-0, 195 who threw for 12,000 in college. They NFL is so enamored with filling the prototypical QB uniform.

LittleWingSooner
4/24/2007, 01:06 PM
He has a better shot at making a team at QB then RB or WR.

Seamus
4/24/2007, 01:38 PM
I don't see him as an RB, but it's not unreasonable for him to make it as a receiver.

LittleWingSooner
4/24/2007, 01:41 PM
His 40 time is just way too slow to make it in the NFL there.

Big Red Ron
4/24/2007, 01:43 PM
He can make all the tough throws. It's the short, swing and crossing routs he usually misses. If he gets drafted by a team that can bring him along slowly, he has a better shot than Nate to make it as a QB.

Big Red Ron
4/24/2007, 01:44 PM
His 40 time is just way too slow to make it in the NFL there.Care to guess what D. Jarrett's 40 time is? How about Jerry Rice's?

Collier11
4/24/2007, 02:30 PM
He can make all the tough throws. It's the short, swing and crossing routs he usually misses. If he gets drafted by a team that can bring him along slowly, he has a better shot than Nate to make it as a QB.

Nate played 3-4 years as a backup and practice squad qb, PT will be hard pressed to match that

LittleWingSooner
4/24/2007, 02:31 PM
But he doesn't have half the experience those guys had at WR and he's not as athletic as either of those 2.

Big Red Ron
4/24/2007, 02:36 PM
Nate played 3-4 years as a backup and practice squad qb, PT will be hard pressed to match thatPaul's athleticism will make him an extremely valuable back up. Paul can throw the ones that Nate struggled with too. The deep out which has to be a laser or it'll get picked is one pass in particular that Nate just didn't have the zip for.

I just really think Paul's upside is way higher than Nate's.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nate but there are tons of "Nate Hybl" type QB's holding clip boards in the NFL right now.

Heck, I think Nate will make another team before it's all said and done.

SoonerBBall
4/24/2007, 03:11 PM
Paul's athleticism will make him an extremely valuable back up. Paul can throw the ones that Nate struggled with too. The deep out which has to be a laser or it'll get picked is one pass in particular that Nate just didn't have the zip for.

I just really think Paul's upside is way higher than Nate's.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nate but there are tons of "Nate Hybl" type QB's holding clip boards in the NFL right now.

Heck, I think Nate will make another team before it's all said and done.

I love me some Paul Thompson, but a deep ball thrower he is not.

Big Red Ron
4/24/2007, 03:17 PM
I love me some Paul Thompson, but a deep ball thrower he is not.Deep out, where the receiver has to cut to the out of bounds line was his best pass to Kelly. He throws the ball hard and on a line. That is the pass that most college QB's don't have, he does. He needs some work on his touch but he's got the tools to become a good QB.

Seamus
4/24/2007, 03:19 PM
Paul is more athletic than Steve Largent. Damn, I would have loved seeing Largent play in the Stoops era.

Big Red Ron
4/24/2007, 03:24 PM
Paul is more athletic than Steve Largent. Damn, I would have loved seeing Largent play in the Stoops era.Steve was an athletic freak. No way is Paul more athletic as a WR, as a QB obviously Paul is.

Desert Sapper
4/24/2007, 03:53 PM
Paul is athletic enough to make it as a WR. He might throw a little from the WR, but no way he is an NFL QB.

OU-HSV
4/25/2007, 08:29 AM
Paul is athletic enough to make it as a WR. He might throw a little from the WR, but no way he is an NFL QB.
I tend to disagree. I think he'd make a good backup for some team out there.
Heck, look at Seneca Wallace. I never thought he'd make it in the nfl at QB. I mean, I just looked it up, he was the 110th overall pick (4th round) in the '03 draft. He's listed at 5-11 196 Lbs. Paul is definitely larger than that, and IMO just as athletic as Seneca. (He may be a little slower than Seneca though as far as straight line speed..I'm not sure about that one).
But I've got faith that Paul will make it as a solid backup QB, if a team w/a good QB coach takes him in and gives him a shot at it. But I think he could also make it at WR in the NFL.

Seamus
4/26/2007, 12:26 AM
Steve was an athletic freak. No way is Paul more athletic as a WR, as a QB obviously Paul is.

Maybe my memory is getting cloudy (probably), but I recall a guy with average to below-average speed and not-spectacular jumping ability but who ran the most disciplined routes EVAR and had hall of fame hands. I don't remember him as a prototypical "athlete" as much as a guy who out-thought and out-hustled the opposition.

If I'm wrong, it won't be the first or last time :)

8timechamps
4/26/2007, 01:31 AM
Keep in mind, we never got to see a full time, dedicated, 4 year QB with PT. Give him some serious NFL type coachin' along with being the understudy of a guy llike Brees! Man, you never know.

All I know is that I'll be pullin' like hell for PT to get a chance...just a chace. If anyone deserves the prayers and support of us Sooner fans, it's PT. I don't think most of us will ever fully realize what he did for us last year.

I think he could be a solid 3rd string guy somewhere. That, along with a few zeros at the end of his paycheck would be great for a guy with the work effort and heart like PT.

goingoneight
4/26/2007, 01:43 AM
Talk of Yoda, we all seem to speak.

Heh...

footballfanatic
4/26/2007, 03:31 PM
Deep out, where the receiver has to cut to the out of bounds line was his best pass to Kelly. He throws the ball hard and on a line. That is the pass that most college QB's don't have, he does. He needs some work on his touch but he's got the tools to become a good QB.

I love it. PT is going to be a good NFL QB, but Vince Young would barely be able to play tight end. Needless to say, objectivity has never been a huge point for a lot of posters here.

OKC-SLC
4/26/2007, 07:54 PM
I love it. PT is going to be a good NFL QB, but Vince Young would barely be able to play tight end. Needless to say, objectivity has never been a huge point for a lot of posters here.
You can **** off any time you want.

Big Red Ron
4/26/2007, 08:00 PM
I love it. PT is going to be a good NFL QB, but Vince Young would barely be able to play tight end. Needless to say, objectivity has never been a huge point for a lot of posters here.Hey dipstick, isn't there like, the biggest sheep in the galaxy in Texas waiting for your services?

Has Vince proven that he's a great or even good NFL passer yet? No, his wheels will keep him around for a while but if he has half the career that Mike Vick has had, I'll be amazed.

I think Paul is a better passer than Vince.

footballfanatic
4/26/2007, 08:37 PM
Hey dipstick, isn't there like, the biggest sheep in the galaxy in Texas waiting for your services?

Has Vince proven that he's a great or even good NFL passer yet? No, his wheels will keep him around for a while but if he has half the career that Mike Vick has had, I'll be amazed.

I think Paul is a better passer than Vince.

Well, let's compare them against their competition. Pt threw 3 ints against the best defense he played--Texas. His final game against BSU wasn't exactly a gem either. VY had two of the greatest performances in college football history in two Rose Bowls. Yes, he's not the best passer in the league--yet, but he's something much better--he's a winner. Odds are that Paul Thompson has had his time at QB. Of course, I could be wrong, but for anyone at this point to claim that PT is better passer than VY is just not being objective. That said, Thompson is local kid, and I wish him the best.

Big Red Ron
4/26/2007, 09:46 PM
Well, let's compare them against their competition. Pt threw 3 ints against the best defense he played--Texas. His final game against BSU wasn't exactly a gem either. Well, he only had one shot at ut. Vince didn't do squat against OU until his final season. Remember this?http://www.burntorangenation.com/images/admin/vinceou03.jpg

Paul did lead us on a must have 90 yard drive in the fourth quarter, of the Big XII Championship game, against Nebraska.

It really is too bad that that dumbasss Bumar came to OU and Chuck Long made the massive mistake of playing him instead of Paul.

OU-HSV
4/27/2007, 10:13 AM
Well, let's compare them against their competition. Pt threw 3 ints against the best defense he played--Texas. His final game against BSU wasn't exactly a gem either. VY had two of the greatest performances in college football history in two Rose Bowls. Yes, he's not the best passer in the league--yet, but he's something much better--he's a winner. Odds are that Paul Thompson has had his time at QB. Of course, I could be wrong, but for anyone at this point to claim that PT is better passer than VY is just not being objective. That said, Thompson is local kid, and I wish him the best.
He's a winner :confused:
Come on dude, I don't know the numbers for sure and I'm not wasting my time looking it up. But what did he win in the nfl so far.....6 games or less for his team w/some real sketchy stats?? Then he got a media hype shoe-in to the pro-bowl, right?
Let's wait and see how he does after he gets a few seasons under his belt before we claim he's the greatest thing to ever hit the nfl. :rolleyes:

sooner518
4/27/2007, 10:24 AM
VY couldnt even sniff Rusty Hilgers' jock strap!!!

footballfanatic
4/27/2007, 01:41 PM
He's a winner :confused:
Come on dude, I don't know the numbers for sure and I'm not wasting my time looking it up. But what did he win in the nfl so far.....6 games or less for his team w/some real sketchy stats?? Then he got a media hype shoe-in to the pro-bowl, right?
Let's wait and see how he does after he gets a few seasons under his belt before we claim he's the greatest thing to ever hit the nfl. :rolleyes:

I don't care that VY went to the Pro Bowl, nor do i care that he didn't throw 48 TDs. He had eight wins, and was one quarter from leading his team into the playoffs. (they lost to NE, but he still put up 24 points aginst them) He had four fourth-quarter comebacks, one victory coming over the champ Colts. Plus, they only lost by a few points to them in their other game. The guy may never have great stats, but he wins games. It's incredible that some people still don't think he's great.

Collier11
4/27/2007, 01:46 PM
I cant dog VY, he isnt a great passer but I feel like he will be a great qb and whoever said he isnt better than vick is crazy! Vick is the most overrated qb in the league. VY almost took that scrap heap of a team to the playoffs

footballfanatic
4/27/2007, 01:55 PM
I cant dog VY, he isnt a great passer but I feel like he will be a great qb and whoever said he isnt better than vick is crazy! Vick is the most overrated qb in the league. VY almost took that scrap heap of a team to the playoffs

Vick may have problems, but people forget that he was one bad quarter against the Eagles from taking his team to the Super Bowl.

OU-HSV
4/27/2007, 03:01 PM
I don't care that VY went to the Pro Bowl, nor do i care that he didn't throw 48 TDs. He had eight wins, and was one quarter from leading his team into the playoffs. (they lost to NE, but he still put up 24 points aginst them) He had four fourth-quarter comebacks, one victory coming over the champ Colts. Plus, they only lost by a few points to them in their other game. The guy may never have great stats, but he wins games. It's incredible that some people still don't think he's great.
I'm not saying the guy isn't a good QB or isn't going to be a good nfl QB...I'm saying why all the hype after the guy has only been pro 1 season and only has 8 or whatever wins behind him. Yes he's hella athletic and ended up having a good college career w/many wins...but I'm not sold on him as a stud nfl QB yet. He hasn't earned it in the pros yet.

CU Sooner
4/27/2007, 03:15 PM
The real reason VY had some success was he had Brandon Jones to save him!:D

sooner518
4/27/2007, 03:19 PM
Vick may have problems, but people forget that he was one bad quarter against the Eagles from taking his team to the Super Bowl.
i think VY is a hell of a player, but you just spewed 2 aggy quotes in 2 posts... "one quarter away from blah blah blah"

<:stunned:> "6 minutes away from a 10 win season!!!!" <:stunned:> :D

Seamus
4/27/2007, 03:23 PM
It's incredible that some people still don't think he's great.
He was incredible in the 12-0 RRS. I loved his performance :texan:

footballfanatic
4/27/2007, 03:46 PM
I'm not saying the guy isn't a good QB or isn't going to be a good nfl QB...I'm saying why all the hype after the guy has only been pro 1 season and only has 8 or whatever wins behind him. Yes he's hella athletic and ended up having a good college career w/many wins...but I'm not sold on him as a stud nfl QB yet. He hasn't earned it in the pros yet.

"only has 8 wins..." I guess you don't know how hard it is for a rookie QB with a weak supporting cast to win 1 game in the pros. He won 8. That's pretty damn good.

yermom
4/27/2007, 04:30 PM
8 wins out of how many starts?

i'd take him over Ron Mexico...

Fraggle145
4/27/2007, 05:08 PM

**** off! dip ****!

footballfanatic
4/27/2007, 05:54 PM
**** off! dip ****!

You have a problem. Sounds like you need to learn to express yourself in a more healthy way.

Fraggle145
4/27/2007, 05:59 PM
You have a problem. Sounds like you need to learn to express yourself in a more healthy way.

http://jamesrwinter.typepad.com/northcoast_exile/images/bigcup_4.jpg

footballfanatic
4/27/2007, 06:03 PM

That's more like it.

OU-HSV
4/28/2007, 07:07 AM
8 wins out of how many starts?

i'd take him over Ron Mexico...
I've been forced to look this up. He had 13 starts (so for you shorthorn fans and aggies, that means he won 8 and lost 5).
Again I'm just saying people should give him more time before they claim he's an NFL great. 8 wins/year won't cut it in the NFL.

Young completed 184 of 357 passes for 2,199 yards (51.5%) with 12 touchdowns and 13 interceptions Stellar numbers there :rolleyes:
Yeah he had over 500 rush yds and 7 rushing tds too, blah blah blah. Let's see what he does in the next couple seasons.

XingTheRubicon
4/28/2007, 09:25 AM
NFL Playoff wins:

PT - 0
VY - 0

Ability to count to 20:

PT - yes
VY - mumbling toward the end

OSUAggie
4/28/2007, 09:36 AM
Keep in mind, we never got to see a full time, dedicated, 4 year QB with PT. Give him some serious NFL type coachin' along with being the understudy of a guy llike Brees! Man, you never know.

All I know is that I'll be pullin' like hell for PT to get a chance...just a chace. If anyone deserves the prayers and support of us Sooner fans, it's PT. I don't think most of us will ever fully realize what he did for us last year.

I think he could be a solid 3rd string guy somewhere. That, along with a few zeros at the end of his paycheck would be great for a guy with the work effort and heart like PT.

Wasn't he a full-time, dedicated QB for more than 4 years @ OU?

Big Red Ron
4/28/2007, 09:40 AM
Wasn't he a full-time, dedicated QB for more than 4 years @ OU?Why do you come here?

OSUAggie
4/28/2007, 09:48 AM
Is that a no?

Big Red Ron
4/28/2007, 09:55 AM
Is that a no?yes. running the scout team burried on the depth chart at QB and playing receiver for a year should answer your question.

OSUAggie
4/28/2007, 10:03 AM
Buried on the depth chart = 2nd team?

For the record, I don't think his chances in the NFL are very good.

I do agree with you that he does have the ability to make the very difficult throws, but I don't think he's consistent enough as a QB and he struggles with the deep ball; and I think he plays too stiff to make it at another position in the NFL.

Big Red Ron
4/28/2007, 10:11 AM
He was the back up for one year. Don't you have a team to follow?

Desert Sapper
4/28/2007, 10:16 AM
I tend to disagree. I think he'd make a good backup for some team out there.
Heck, look at Seneca Wallace. I never thought he'd make it in the nfl at QB. I mean, I just looked it up, he was the 110th overall pick (4th round) in the '03 draft. He's listed at 5-11 196 Lbs. Paul is definitely larger than that, and IMO just as athletic as Seneca. (He may be a little slower than Seneca though as far as straight line speed..I'm not sure about that one).
But I've got faith that Paul will make it as a solid backup QB, if a team w/a good QB coach takes him in and gives him a shot at it. But I think he could also make it at WR in the NFL.

I think he could start for somebody as a WR. He has good hands, he's not as slow as he sounds (4.6 is actually not that bad and he HAS run faster before), and he's tall. How many people thought TO was going to be the center of all media attention when he was at Tenn-Chatt? Paul is a leader, Paul is an athlete, and Paul could be a very good starter for somebody somewhere. Just not at QB. I wish him the best.

Desert Sapper
4/28/2007, 10:23 AM

The word F-word wasn't ****ed, so I feel very offended right now.

Fraggle145
4/28/2007, 02:19 PM
The word F-word wasn't ****ed, so I feel very offended right now.

:O

picasso
4/28/2007, 02:23 PM
Buried on the depth chart = 2nd team?

For the record, I don't think his chances in the NFL are very good.

I do agree with you that he does have the ability to make the very difficult throws, but I don't think he's consistent enough as a QB and he struggles with the deep ball; and I think he plays too stiff to make it at another position in the NFL.
he threw a TD pass on oSu in '03 with his eyes shut.

I was asleep when it happened but my old lady woke me up in time to see the end.

LittleWingSooner
5/20/2007, 08:06 PM
Paul is more athletic than Steve Largent. Damn, I would have loved seeing Largent play in the Stoops era.

Largent was one of the faster players of his era. And was a great athlete. Thompson is just a good athlete. Probably not a great one compared to other players. I don't know if PT can make the NFL at all. But if he can it's at QB. It's the position he played 90% of his career at OU and it's the position he's played most of his life.

goingoneight
5/20/2007, 09:16 PM
There are many QB's who get picked up and groomed into great QB's despite what the know-it-alls say about them going into the draft/free agency. Paul is big enough, more than strong enough, smart enough, calm enough and coachable. Add his leadership skills and the NFL knopw-it-alls would be drooling over him if he was called upon to pass more in 2006. Imagine if Paul was the QB in 2003. No Adrian Peterson or Allen Patrick to run 35 magical plays up the middle, and he's forced to throw it more. He CAN make it, as long as they keep him around long enough. Someone with a quality QB like Green Bay to stay in for another couple of years maybe so PT can grow in the system.

Collier11
5/20/2007, 09:22 PM
Imagine if Paul was the QB in 2003.

I usually agree with you and stick up for you, but PT isnt half the qb JW is. He may have great leadership skills but he just wasnt that good. SORRY!

Big Red Ron
5/20/2007, 10:43 PM
I see Paul's college career as similar to Tom Brady's. Who was what a seventh round pick and ran a 5.9 40.

You never know sometimes.

goingoneight
5/20/2007, 10:49 PM
I usually agree with you and stick up for you, but PT isnt half the qb JW is. He may have great leadership skills but he just wasnt that good. SORRY!

I agree, the point I was trying to make was that we didn't let him throw it in the manner JW and Josh did. I should have worded it differently. No offense to Paul, but I, too... believe JW pwns.

birddog
5/20/2007, 11:09 PM
Largent was one of the faster players of his era. And was a great athlete.

hmmm. steve seems to think he was too small and too slow.

Perhaps Hall of Fame wide receiver Steve Largent put it best. Largent, who left the game with more catches, yards, and receiving touchdowns than any player to come before him, was considered too small and too slow when he entered the league in 1976. Largent was drafted by the Houston Oilers, but shortly thereafter he was shipped to the Seattle Seahawks for a future eighth-round selection.

"Scouting is two parts science, one part art," says Largent. "The science part everybody gets--height, weight, speed, and so on and so forth. But the one part that is always hard to measure is the art, and that has to do with competitiveness, heart, and knowledge of the game. That's the piece of the puzzle that everybody wishes was a science, but it's really not."

LittleWingSooner
5/20/2007, 11:14 PM
hmmm. steve seems to think he was too small and too slow.

Perhaps Hall of Fame wide receiver Steve Largent put it best. Largent, who left the game with more catches, yards, and receiving touchdowns than any player to come before him, was considered too small and too slow when he entered the league in 1976. Largent was drafted by the Houston Oilers, but shortly thereafter he was shipped to the Seattle Seahawks for a future eighth-round selection.

"Scouting is two parts science, one part art," says Largent. "The science part everybody gets--height, weight, speed, and so on and so forth. But the one part that is always hard to measure is the art, and that has to do with competitiveness, heart, and knowledge of the game. That's the piece of the puzzle that everybody wishes was a science, but it's really not."

When Jerry Rice goes into the Hall he'll probably say he was too slow and too small. Same with Emmitt Smith. Doesn't mean it was actually true. You can't compare Paul Thompson to a hall of famer. He's not that good.

birddog
5/20/2007, 11:32 PM
Largent was one of the faster players of his era. And was a great athlete. Thompson is just a good athlete. Probably not a great one compared to other players. I don't know if PT can make the NFL at all. But if he can it's at QB. It's the position he played 90% of his career at OU and it's the position he's played most of his life.

pay attention to what i'm quoting, gizmo. steve ran in the high 4's.

Big Red Ron
5/20/2007, 11:42 PM
When Jerry Rice goes into the Hall he'll probably say he was too slow and too small. Same with Emmitt Smith. Doesn't mean it was actually true. You can't compare Paul Thompson to a hall of famer. He's not that good.Jerry Rice never ran a 40 better than 4.7 and when he was playing for the Raiders, it was more like 4.9.

I doubt anyone was comparing Paul to a hall of famer.

olevetonahill
5/20/2007, 11:58 PM
Future Headline
Paul Thompson Leads the Pack to the Super bowl .:D

olevetonahill
5/21/2007, 02:37 AM
To me the Thing with PT is Hes a TEAM player .
If it helps the Team win he will tote the water bucket
Plus IMHO hes an Athlete Above and beyond Most

goingoneight
5/21/2007, 02:54 AM
Packs win the Super Bowl and all they needed was a legend to retire. :D

Seamus
5/21/2007, 03:34 AM
Largent was one of the faster players of his era.

You sure your VCR wasn't stuck on fast forward?

Or maybe your eyes were just moving slow?

LittleWingSooner
5/21/2007, 09:35 AM
Jerry Rice never ran a 40 better than 4.7 and when he was playing for the Raiders, it was more like 4.9.

I doubt anyone was comparing Paul to a hall of famer.

Someone compared him to Largent.

okienole3
5/21/2007, 05:55 PM
Someone compared him to Largent.

Seriously, are you or are you not NickZepp?