PDA

View Full Version : A thought on the possible Strategy in Iraq

85Sooner
4/24/2007, 10:15 AM
I was reading this article.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=070424134010.0b19xyx9&show_article=1

It basically says that the iranian people are up in arms because of a crackdown on clothing and headscarves worn/not worn by women.

I think everyone agrees that Iran is controlled by the mullahs and the pres is a puppet for them.

Up until now Iran and iraq have been the major power in the middle east. The US was only in and around Saudi. Now, with afganistan and iraq, it seems the US is nearly surrounding Iran. That can't make them too happy.

That said there have been theories that the people of iran have not been happy with their government.

OK That said, we now know that 2/3rds of the 70 million iranians are under 30 years of age. Thats 46 million 30 or under

Inflation is at a 24% pace and unemployment is at 11%. Mich Rich may be able to comment more on that but it doesn't sound good and it sounds as if it is getting worse.

Could it be that that the US is in position to help any overthrow of the iranian government attempted by the people? The relationship that was iran/iraq was a bad one and for years country unity was held together in defense of each country.That relationship no longer exists, so its (irans) government has to find another issue to keep the people together and their chest thumping against the US may be their attempt to creat the issue and unite the country against the US. I don't think its working based on what I read in the article. Now Iran seems to be sending alot of its weapons and military operatives to iraq, and while there are attacks, we are picking them off one by one. While we are there iran has to stay busy doing what their doing, meanwhile the country is going down the tubes and the youth of the country is cleraly more westernized than the mullahs.

I really believe that with a little forsight history will see the US position as the correct one. Only time will tell, but I think a few politicians need to be looking forward. Anyway I thought it was an interesting theory.

Mjcpr
4/24/2007, 10:17 AM
Why not, I think we've pretty much mastered it now.

TUSooner
4/24/2007, 10:37 AM
I think it's a great idea, but here's the tricky bit. Many Iranians are fed up with the Mullahs and all that, but many of them are still nationalistic enough not to want to snuggle up too close to Uncle Sam (and Cousin Dubya). Supporting a new revolution would require wisdom, insight, and subtlety. The Bush admin would make a total balls-up of it, and the Democrats wouldn't have the balls to try it. Nice dream, though!

King Crimson
4/24/2007, 10:37 AM
Up until now Iran and iraq have been the major power in the middle east. The US was only in and around Saudi. Now, with afganistan and iraq, it seems the US is nearly surrounding Iran. That can't make them too happy.

incorrect. the US has been active in both Iran and Iraq for quite some time (remember the Shah, Rummy with Saddamn). not to mention colonial activity, esp. the British. their being unhappy is more a product of the past *and* present....than a newly discovered problem with "being surrounded".

and it's hardly a current conclusion that iraq and afghanistan are equal to being "US". Military presence, yes. stable, open, enthusiastic representatives of our foreign policy, no.

JohnnyMack
4/24/2007, 10:40 AM
Where's my tin-foil hat?

85Sooner
4/24/2007, 10:53 AM
incorrect. the US has been active in both Iran and Iraq for quite some time (remember the Shah, Rummy with Saddamn). not to mention colonial activity, esp. the British. their being unhappy is more a product of the past *and* present....than a newly discovered problem with "being surrounded".

and it's hardly a current conclusion that iraq and afghanistan are equal to being "US". Military presence, yes. stable, open, enthusiastic representatives of our foreign policy, no.

I think my thought goes with what you said. The US as well as other countries have been involved behind the scenes so to speak with iraq and Iran.however the iranians were united against the iraqies and the iraqies were united against the iranians.

The interactions in the past have been more covert and the iran/iraqi governments were allowed to spew the "america is evil" garbage which has led to a generation of radicals hijacking thye muslim religion.

Now our actions are more overt. That combined with the openess of the internet (information from other areas than the dictatorships) etc.... combined with 2/3rds of the populations which has grown up with more western accomodations IMO equals an opportunity of a lifetime to let the middle east implode on itself.

I am looking at it from the perspective of 2 entities, the iranian government and the iranian people. Our foreign "policy" effected their government more than their people.

soonerscuba
4/24/2007, 10:56 AM
Iran's youth revolution is the OSU football of geo-political movements. People have been talking about this for while, but I think, when the rubber meets the road, they stick with religious rule.

85Sooner
4/24/2007, 10:59 AM
Iran's youth revolution is the OSU football of geo-political movements. People have been talking about this for while, but I think, when the rubber meets the road, they stick with religious rule.

but I think their youth are a bit like our youths in general. more caring about self than country. (exceptions noted for the men and women that have served and are serving our country)

Ike
4/24/2007, 11:43 AM
while we may have shown that we suck at nation building (then again, is there anyone thats any good at it?), we are still #1 in nation un-building.

I don't think we are in any position to influence political change in Iran. It just wouldn't go over very well. A lot of Iranians may hate being ruled by the mullahs, but given their past experiences with the US tinkering in their politics, they'd probably choose the mullahs over any US influenced government any day.

jk the sooner fan
4/24/2007, 11:52 AM
fwiw - we've done nation building in MANY more places than iraq and have been VERY successful

i think iran is a big bite to chew - thats a huge risk to take thinking that the people will rise up and overtake their government....we thought something like that would happen in iraq as well

but if we havent learned that people living under oppression for years and years dont rise up unless we truly have their backs......then we never will

i also think that iran is just chomping at the bit waiting for us to pull out of iraq.......i really think they'd make a move on iraq - and if you think gas is expensive now.......just wait!

OklahomaTuba
4/24/2007, 12:15 PM
Giving the Mullahs a quarter of the worlds oil reserves would make our economy go south in no-time, and Iran knows it. This is why they are funding and arming the "insurgents" and supporting AQ.

We have to stay and get Iraq stable. If we don't, and run away like a bunch of pussies as the dims would have us do, it won't be pretty for us here at home.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/24/2007, 12:46 PM
... if we havent learned that people living under oppression for years and years dont rise up unless we truly have their backs......then we never will.

i also think that iran is just chomping at the bit waiting for us to pull out of iraq.......i really think they'd make a move on iraq - and if you think gas is expensive now.......just wait!A lot of folks in the congress are so power hungry that they are blinded to your above points, or refuse to face those obvious facts.

StuIsTheMan
4/24/2007, 01:18 PM
I say let McDonalds and Burger King go and put up a few franchises over there in Iran. They will be XBOX play'n, dorito eat'n RED BLOODED AMERICANS like the rest of us in No Time! Just my 2 1.3 cents

Vaevictis
4/24/2007, 04:37 PM
The issue with the US specifically trying to install a new regime in Iran is that, well, we've done that before. And the Iranians didn't like it much the first time, and we sure as hell didn't like the form the blowback took (this regime, actually).

If we want this done, it probably shouldn't be us, because even if the presumption that the Iranians are ready for a regime change is true, if it was us doing it, there'd be a lot of resistance from the local populace just because it was us doing it.

OklahomaTuba
4/24/2007, 05:14 PM
Unfortunatly, since Iran wants to builds nuke, then their regime must change.

Or, we destroy their ability to threaten us.

OklahomaTuba
4/24/2007, 05:16 PM
It looks likes impeaching Cheney and then running away is all part of the dims plan. Nice.

What a disgrace these people have become.

yermom
4/24/2007, 05:22 PM
impeach Cheney? i haven't heard of that one... what did they catch him doing this time? ;)

85Sooner
4/24/2007, 06:58 PM
impeach Cheney? i haven't heard of that one... what did they catch him doing this time? ;)

Dennis Kuncinich (sp) is filing paperwork today. Making himself look like the *** he is.

yermom
4/24/2007, 07:16 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200704/s1906096.htm

heh, yeah. that sounds pretty stupid

OklahomaTuba
4/24/2007, 07:55 PM
And according to Herry Reid, The top general in Iraq, Petraeus, is a lair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV4DIURvbwY