PDA

View Full Version : olevetonahill talks cars and graciously answers questions about cars

OUHOMER
4/23/2007, 07:41 PM
Took car to the shop, they called and said it was ready so I go and pick it up.
Here’s what I find out when I get there

1. They did not test drive it, because it was low on gas..
2. They said the catalytic converter glowed red after just idling for 15 mins. I asked what would cause that, "I don't know I didn't run a diagnostic on it" after I installed the distributor. Must be a clogged converter.

I drove it less than a mile, I thought it was a little doggy. I went in worked out, got some gas. After that I didn't think it would get me home. It idled rough, and had no power at all. I drove it aprox 4 miles to get home. I could smell the heat from the catalytic converter.

OK, head job, water pump, spark plugs, new distributor,

what else and when do I stop pumping money into this pit.

Anyway, I have not gone out there and looked but the consensus is now. Clogged converter.

You are not going to believe this ****. I go out and start looking the exhaust over to see how hard it is to take converter off. I put my hand over exhaust and there seemed to be plenty of exhaust exiting the pipe. I could smell raw fuel. So I am thinking for some reason the engine is not burning the fuel.

I look at the so called new distributor, and the front bank had all 3 plug wires just laying there. There not even hooked to the distributor. WTF. The back 3 look loose. So at the most I am running on 3 cylinders.

I am sure glad this shop was closed saturday. Because it would not be a good time for me to show up.
And why is the check engine light not coming on? Also the so called new distributor looks like it has a used cap on it. I can not tell you how upset I am right now.

So I take back and left it in front of there gate Sunday afternoon. I called the owner at 0800 am this morning. I told him I found out what was wrong, and I asked him to go out and inspect the work he did on my car and call me back.

Too say the least he was very humble, and apologized over and over. Then come to find out the distributor he installed was bad as well.

Anyway its seems to be fixed now, daughter says it still a little sluggish. So we are going to drive it for a few days to how it goes.

olevetonahill
4/23/2007, 07:57 PM
Sounds like they installed a used dist. :mad:
what yr and make again ?
I do believe Id be askin for a partial refund at least .
Hell If I fix one Im gonna TEST drive that bitch . if its low on Gas , Im gonna put some in ( charge you fro it tho ;) )
Hell I wanta kick his *** .
*******s like that give us all a bad name . :mad: :mad: :mad:

OUHOMER
4/23/2007, 08:02 PM
Thats what i told them, I would have paid for the damn gas. I tell ya, if they would have been working saturday, I may have spent the weekend in jail.
The owner was ****ed too. No telling what kind of discussion he had with the mechanic.

olevetonahill
4/23/2007, 08:02 PM
Talk to me here . hell I hate havin to run back an to at my email .

olevetonahill
4/23/2007, 08:04 PM
Thats what i told them, I would have paid for the damn gas. I tell ya, if they would have been working saturday, I may have spent the weekend in jail.
The owner was ****ed too. No telling what kind of discussion he had with the mechanic.

Hell I dont blame ya Bro . So what make and model again , Ive forgotten .

OUHOMER
4/23/2007, 08:05 PM
1999 chrylser sebring convertible 2.5 L v6

sanantoniosooner
4/23/2007, 08:06 PM
no problem.

They're going to have to give you your own folder for this crap.;)

Did you get the photos?

soonerboomer93
4/23/2007, 08:15 PM
see what happens when you buy an american car??

:pop:

OUHOMER
4/23/2007, 08:18 PM
see what happens when you buy an american car??

LOL, Its a Mitsubishi motor

olevetonahill
4/23/2007, 08:32 PM
1999 chrylser sebring convertible 2.5 L v6
Ok bro Ill ck in the am /pm . But I think you can take that convertor out .
youll get better milage and performance if you can ,

olevetonahill
4/23/2007, 08:33 PM
LOL, Its a Mitsubishi motor
Yup Ford Probe / mazda 626 =
plus several others .

olevetonahill
4/23/2007, 08:35 PM
no problem.

They're going to have to give you your own folder for this crap.;)

Did you get the photos?
No kiddin hell we have a sticky TV thread . :D

soonerboomer93
4/23/2007, 08:39 PM
yeah, and my pos 86 mustang had a mazda motor in it

once they start intermixing with the american companys too much, well...

sanantoniosooner
4/23/2007, 08:43 PM
I sent you another photo.

The piece with the X looking part is the part I've wiggled and made the noise stop.

I've specifically stated this in a way that you will know what I'm talking about, but cryptically enough for people to make a joke out of it. ;) I'll give you a call if you have any more questions.

BTW, you can also see in that photo that the wire in question isn't frayed.

sanantoniosooner
4/23/2007, 08:49 PM
yeah, and my pos 86 mustang had a mazda motor in it

once they start intermixing with the american companys too much, well...
I don't think so. The Probe was initially supposed to be the next stage Mustang and the hard core Mustang fans raise such a stink over the car being an import and front wheel drive that they backed off the idea.
http://www.performanceprobe.com/text/info/history.htm

soonerboomer93
4/23/2007, 10:05 PM
I don't know, when they worked on it after the head gasket blew, I was told it was a mazda motor

but that was like 10+ years ago

olevetonahill
4/23/2007, 10:16 PM
I don't know, when they worked on it after the head gasket blew, I was told it was a mazda motor

but that was like 10+ years ago
4 Cyl. LX right ?

rufnek05
4/23/2007, 10:32 PM
i'm looking for a used trany for a 65' ford ranchero that'll fit the 289. know where i can get a good deal on one?

olevetonahill
4/23/2007, 10:44 PM
i'm looking for a used trany for a 65' ford ranchero that'll fit the 289. know where i can get a good deal on one?
918-649- 5588 ( my bad ) call my cell
Yup I have one :cool:
Measure the tail shaft .

soonerboomer93
4/23/2007, 10:56 PM
4 Cyl. LX right ?

yup

goingoneight
4/23/2007, 10:56 PM
I don't understand why people still go to the troule of getting used parts under the hood outside of maybe a bracket or something... distributors, alternators, water pumps, pulleys, tensioners, everything down to cylinder heads... you're not biting the bullet that hard by buying or using new parts, and it lasts (and warranties) longer. I'm of course talking about the servicemen, not the customer, my friend. I work on and with Mercedes, Ford, GMC and Caterpillar engines, adn this is always the case, car OR truck.

Spend $55.00 to pull your own part of a junk vehicle and pray it works... or buy the brand new or remanufactured part for $75-$80 with sometimes a limited lifetime warranty. Seems to me like sacrificing a pizza and beer might be worth not having to work on the damn thing again. But it's the boss's and the customer's money, so "NOOOO... go cheap and get it outta here to help my bay times!!!" :mad:

I feel your pain...

olevetonahill
4/23/2007, 11:04 PM
I don't understand why people still go to the troule of getting used parts under the hood outside of maybe a bracket or something... distributors, alternators, water pumps, pulleys, tensioners, everything down to cylinder heads... you're not biting the bullet that hard by buying or using new parts, and it lasts (and warranties) longer. I'm of course talking about the servicemen, not the customer, my friend. I work on and with Mercedes, Ford, GMC and Caterpillar engines, adn this is always the case, car OR truck.

Spend $55.00 to pull your own part of a junk vehicle and pray it works... or buy the brand new or remanufactured part for $75-$80 with sometimes a limited lifetime warranty. Seems to me like sacrificing a pizza and beer might be worth not having to work on the damn thing again. But it's the boss's and the customer's money, so "NOOOO... go cheap and get it outta here to help my bay times!!!" :mad:

I feel your pain...
I kinda sorta agree , But a Reman part aint much better than a used part im HO

I bought a reman starter for a 460 engine , changed that Mofo 5 times still no worky . went out back pulled a used 1 and nary a prob .

I almost refuse to use reman parts anymore .
just sayin .
you buy em , bring em to me Ill put em on if you insist .

olevetonahill
4/23/2007, 11:07 PM
yup
They 1/2 way told ya the thruth .
It was a Mazda head and Intake on a ford 4 banger .
Oh and far as I know Mustang aint ever been FWD . just sayin :eek:

soonerboomer93
4/23/2007, 11:10 PM
it also had a funky transmission

took like a month and 3 tries for them to get it fixed and working

olevetonahill
4/23/2007, 11:15 PM
it also had a funky transmission

took like a month and 3 tries for them to get it fixed and working
POS C-4 if I remember

Ike
4/24/2007, 11:39 AM
alright, a friend of mine has a 1992 Nissan Sentra (auto trans) that has a starter motor thats going south on him. He wants to take it to a mechanic, but would prefer to be able to drive it there rather than tow it. We wanted to see if we could give the starter a couple of taps with a hammer to get it to crank, but everything is packed in there so tightly, that we can't even find the damn thing.

Where the hell is it?

CUinNC
4/24/2007, 11:44 AM
Anyone got, or can get a tailgate for a '93 full-size Bronco? (rust-free of course)

I got a helluva truck, just a spotty t-gate and i don't need all the glass, motors, etc

PEEM me if somebody's got the hook-up;)

olevetonahill
4/24/2007, 12:14 PM
Ike when I go into the shop later Ill look in my book . I dont think they are that hard to change , buts its been awhile since Ive worked on one .
CU you can get an after market replacement gate , for pretty cheap , you have to put all your parts into it and paint it . Ill look up the place to order it and Pm you you in awhile also .

CUinNC
4/24/2007, 12:25 PM
Ike when I go into the shop later Ill look in my book . I dont think they are that hard to change , buts its been awhile since Ive worked on one .
CU you can get an after market replacement gate , for pretty cheap , you have to put all your parts into it and paint it . Ill look up the place to order it and Pm you you in awhile also .

Thanks mucho - I saw some one time on e-bay, but didn't know if the weight & material would be OK - (read: made in Asia)

If you can hook me up with something I can be safe with, I WILL be sending ya something from NC....

I talked to a couple local shops & I think they're adding like 20% or more just to order the darn thing...

mxATVracer10
4/24/2007, 03:07 PM
Oh and far as I know Mustang aint ever been FWD . just sayin :eek:

It hasn't been, but like SAS said, what eventually came out as the Probe was originally going to be the new 'stang. Fortunately, Ford listened to the consumers and canned that idea though :texan:

OUHOMER
4/24/2007, 03:13 PM
Olevet may have gotten him a full time job here. :D

olevetonahill
4/24/2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks mucho - I saw some one time on e-bay, but didn't know if the weight & material would be OK - (read: made in Asia)

If you can hook me up with something I can be safe with, I WILL be sending ya something from NC....

I talked to a couple local shops & I think they're adding like 20% or more just to order the darn thing...
Ok CU
here ya go .
Call certifit
1-800-655-9775 , in Raleigh . Or theres another one I dont remember the towns name
That # is 704-921-9400
I just called and and after market One is 158 .50
They are made over seas , But Ive never had a major Prob with em .. You may have to do some drilling or something but nothing Major .
Good luck .

olevetonahill
4/24/2007, 03:55 PM
alright, a friend of mine has a 1992 Nissan Sentra (auto trans) that has a starter motor thats going south on him. He wants to take it to a mechanic, but would prefer to be able to drive it there rather than tow it. We wanted to see if we could give the starter a couple of taps with a hammer to get it to crank, but everything is packed in there so tightly, that we can't even find the damn thing.

Where the hell is it?
Ike , If im looking at this rite , it should be On the back side of the engine about 1/2 way down , You may need to jack the car up and hit it from underneath .

olevetonahill
4/24/2007, 03:57 PM
Olevet may have gotten him a full time job here. :D
I dont mind hell it may help keep me outta trouble

Howzit
4/24/2007, 04:03 PM
I wanna play.

I have a 2004 Acura TL with about 30k miles. How often do the injectors need to be cleaned out, and is that something that can be done with an additive, or is that something that needs to be done by a mechanic?

Thanks!

olevetonahill
4/24/2007, 04:17 PM
I wanna play.

I have a 2004 Acura TL with about 30k miles. How often do the injectors need to be cleaned out, and is that something that can be done with an additive, or is that something that needs to be done by a mechanic?

Thanks!
I change My fuel filter every 10,000 miles
The injectors Shouldnt ever have to be , It wouldnt hurt to use an injector cleaner about that often also , I dont really think its needed , but it wont hurt .
As far as injectors go Ive never really had a prob with any on any car .Some Of my Customers tell ME that they are bad and insist that I change em . I just tell em since they know so much to get it done .:P

Howzit
4/24/2007, 04:34 PM
The injectors Shouldnt ever have to be , It wouldnt hurt to use an injector cleaner about that often also , I dont really think its needed , but it wont hurt .
As far as injectors go Ive never really had a prob with any on any car .Some Of my Customers tell ME that they are bad and insist that I change em . I just tell em since they know so much to get it done .:P

Thanks again.

olevetonahill
4/24/2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks again.
Yo welcome bro
Hell I get 1 or 2 kids a year , that as soon as they get a ride or thier license They show up , I make em help me and do some cleaning . and they learn ;)

Zbird
4/24/2007, 07:25 PM
LOL, Its a Mitsubishi motor Don't know about the 99, but the 97's were assembled in Mexico

soonerboomer93
4/24/2007, 07:54 PM

some of the best steel in the world comes out of asia (sumitomo and hyundai)

actually, my friends over here wish they could get the amican version of Hyundai's because they're made with better steel then the korean versions

OUDoc
4/24/2007, 08:00 PM

That often? Damn, I'll bet I change mine after 50-60,000. Oops.:O

sanantoniosooner
4/24/2007, 08:11 PM
http://www.carcare.org/Industry/pdf/Service_Intervals_color.pdf

olevetonahill
4/25/2007, 05:20 AM
That often? Damn, I'll bet I change mine after 50-60,000. Oops.:O
Doc as the filter clogs up with the crap its keeping outta ur Injectors . the Harder your fuel pump is working . Remember Its a small 12 volt motor INyour fuel tank , Now Ive seen a lot of em Burn up , IE go out after the vehicle has stopped , My theroy is that theyve been working harder than necessary, the fuel is Low in the tank , the motor on the pump heats up , and when Stopped Gas splashes back up on em cool em off to fast . Like water on a lite bulb .
If that makes sence

ChickSoonerFan
4/25/2007, 09:52 AM
Why do my blinkers stop working when it rains?

Seriously.....it really seems to happen when it rains. Then they start working again.

olevetonahill
4/25/2007, 09:56 AM
Why do my blinkers stop working when it rains?

Seriously.....it really seems to happen when it rains. Then they start working again.
Neither side works when its raining ?

ChickSoonerFan
4/25/2007, 09:58 AM
Neither side works when its raining ?

Random....and sometimes I will turn them on and they don't work, then they just start blinking. Very strange.

olevetonahill
4/25/2007, 10:02 AM
But when they quit is both sides or just one ?

ChickSoonerFan
4/25/2007, 10:06 AM
But when they quit is both sides or just one ?

I would say both, but usually what happens is I try the blinker, it doesn't work, so I try the other side, it may or may not work. If it doesn't work on the other side, I keep trying back and forth, then they both start working. Make sense?

olevetonahill
4/25/2007, 10:12 AM
Yup this purely a WAG tho but
sounds like maybe a loose or corroded connection , there is a junction type connector at the rear of most cars an trucks . that would be where I would start lookin

CUinNC
4/25/2007, 10:19 AM
Ok CU
here ya go .
Call certifit
1-800-655-9775 , in Raleigh . Or theres another one I dont remember the towns name
That # is 704-921-9400
I just called and and after market One is 158 .50
They are made over seas , But Ive never had a major Prob with em .. You may have to do some drilling or something but nothing Major .
Good luck .

That is Awesome Man - this is at least 160-175 cheaper than the local tools have been quoting me - i knew they were pirates, but damm...

That second number is in Charlotte - Certi-fit body parts...I already called the Raliegh place & I can pick it up when it comes in....Thanks!!

Olive, gonna PM you to get an addy, I want to send you some stuff as a big thanks & howdy - all legal of course...:D

ChickSoonerFan
4/25/2007, 10:21 AM
Yup this purely a WAG tho but
sounds like maybe a loose or corroded connection , there is a junction type connector at the rear of most cars an trucks . that would be where I would start lookin

uuuhhhh...so who do I take this to to have it looked at? :O

I understood "rear of the car"

:)

ChickSoonerFan
4/25/2007, 10:22 AM
Oh...and THANKS!! Really. I do appreciate it, it is nice of you to give advice on this topic, it is a huge help.

olevetonahill
4/25/2007, 10:22 AM
That is Awesome Man - this is at least 160-175 cheaper than the local tools have been quoting me - i knew they were pirates, but damm...

That second number is in Charlotte - Certi-fit body parts...I already called the Raliegh place & I can pick it up when it comes in....Thanks!!

Olive, gonna PM you to get an addy, I want to send you some stuff as a big thanks & howdy - all legal of course...:D
Glad I could help
Oh and its Olevet ;)
BSG calls me olive :D

CUinNC
4/25/2007, 10:23 AM
some of the best steel in the world comes out of asia (sumitomo and hyundai)

actually, my friends over here wish they could get the amican version of Hyundai's because they're made with better steel then the korean versions

Thanks, I was just worried that it would be a blind sorta deal w/no recourse..

At least if I go domestic, I can always pull into their yard, should something go sour....;)

olevetonahill
4/25/2007, 10:25 AM
uuuhhhh...so who do I take this to to have it looked at? :O

I understood "rear of the car"

:)
:D
Try the next time you have ur oil changed while they are in the pit to look at your wiring underneath , If you smile sweet at em they can prolly do it easy .

ChickSoonerFan
4/25/2007, 10:28 AM
:D
Try the next time you have ur oil changed while they are in the pit to look at your wiring underneath , If you smile sweet at em they can prolly do it easy .

Got it!! THANKS!!! I think I can handle that. ;)

CUinNC
4/25/2007, 10:32 AM
Glad I could help
Oh and its Olevet ;)
BSG calls me olive :D

Damm rookies - comin' outta the woodwork...:D

Petro-Sooner
4/25/2007, 02:44 PM
Hey Olevet, I've got a 99 Yukon, 115,000 miles, and the accelarator vibrates when its pushed. Even when its on crusie control I'll put my foot on it and can still feel it. Its not a bad shake but enough that its pretty annoying. I've looked and looked for a culprit but still nothing. Your 2 cents?? And also, thanks!!!

olevetonahill
4/25/2007, 02:53 PM
Petro , does it do it all speeds ? say ur goin 25 gosse it some and you get vibration, just certain speeds ? give me all the detail you can .

Petro-Sooner
4/25/2007, 02:57 PM
I'll get back to you on that. I believe it is at all speeds. I'll check this evening. It seems to come and go. Sometimes worse than other times. I'll get back to you.

olevetonahill
4/25/2007, 02:59 PM
I'll get back to you on that. I believe it is at all speeds. I'll check this evening. It seems to come and go. Sometimes worse than other times. I'll get back to you.
Do you feel it in the steering wheel also or just Throttle pedal ?

CUinNC
4/25/2007, 03:03 PM
Olevet - you've got PM'd by me - when you have the time...Thanks again..

olevetonahill
4/25/2007, 03:06 PM
Olevet - you've got PM'd by me - when you have the time...Thanks again..

Ill go there
But you dont have to send me anything , I enjoy helping if I can .

CUinNC
4/25/2007, 03:09 PM
Ill go there
But you dont have to send me anything , I enjoy helping if I can .

Nope - go there.....thanks;)

Petro-Sooner
4/25/2007, 04:15 PM
Do you feel it in the steering wheel also or just Throttle pedal ?

Just the throttle peddle. I'll take a closer look but I do not believe it is enough to actually SEE the throttle pedal vibrate. But you can definatly feel it on your feet. More tomorrow.

olevetonahill
4/25/2007, 04:19 PM
Just the throttle peddle. I'll take a closer look but I do not believe it is enough to actually SEE the throttle pedal vibrate. But you can definatly feel it on your feet. More tomorrow.
Ok let me know . Hell Ill be on here for a few more hrs . check the speeds that you notice it , your gauges , and wether or not your ck engine lite or service engine comes on an off .

Petro-Sooner
4/25/2007, 04:25 PM
I wont be at a computer til in the morning. Engine lights never come on indicating a problem. This has been going on for well over a year now. I ask dad about it and he noticed it but didnt seem to consurned. However, I drive it every day and I'd like to find a fix.

olevetonahill
4/25/2007, 04:28 PM
I wont be at a computer til in the morning. Engine lights never come on indicating a problem. This has been going on for well over a year now. I ask dad about it and he noticed it but didnt seem to consurned. However, I drive it every day and I'd like to find a fix.
OK if you go home by an Orielly stop in tell em I said to scan it for you , see if theres anycodes .

Petro-Sooner
4/25/2007, 04:32 PM
I take it you mean to scan to see if any troubles are showing up? ie engine lights that should be on?

olevetonahill
4/25/2007, 04:36 PM
I take it you mean to scan to see if any troubles are showing up? ie engine lights that should be on?
Kinda but not neccessarily any lites . all the 95s and up have what they call an OBD2 . My scanner will tell me more about what that engine is doing than even I want to know .;)

soonerboomer93
4/25/2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks, I was just worried that it would be a blind sorta deal w/no recourse..

At least if I go domestic, I can always pull into their yard, should something go sour....;)

oh, I understand, that's why I would focus on who you're buying from (I never buy off e-bay unless i know who's selling it). There's crap parts coming from everywhere, Mexico, Asia, Europe and the US. It's not so much where anything is made, it's who makes it (at least to me). It is good that you found someone close to purchase it from.

Ike
4/26/2007, 01:24 PM
Ike , If im looking at this rite , it should be On the back side of the engine about 1/2 way down , You may need to jack the car up and hit it from underneath .

Thanks. We were able to squeeze a mallet inbetween a bunch of wires and cords from the top and get her going.

Now I have a follow-up that is entirely unrelated to this issue. On my 1999 grand am, I have this intermittent annoyance that, from time to time, the clicker from the blinkers just like to go off on their own. sometimes it can continue to do this for an entire trip. It appears to happen randomly, with a slight preference for happening right after the blinker turns off. When it happens, the blinkers are not blinking...it's just making the click-click, click-click noise. A lot. WTF is going on?

TIA.

Shneeg11
4/26/2007, 01:32 PM
OleVet, my car continually overheats, and I have replaced a stuck thermostat twice, and a water pump once, and on the 30 minute drive from the city to norman to come back to school, it overheated again, i let it cool down a night, and barely made it back to norman before it overheated again...any advice PLEASE!!??

-Shneeg

Ike
4/26/2007, 01:43 PM
OleVet, my car continually overheats, and I have replaced a stuck thermostat twice, and a water pump once, and on the 30 minute drive from the city to norman to come back to school, it overheated again, i let it cool down a night, and barely made it back to norman before it overheated again...any advice PLEASE!!??

-Shneeg

flush the radiator?

sanantoniosooner
4/26/2007, 01:46 PM
flush the radiator?
yeah, if it's not losing coolant that's what I'd check. Probably needs more than flushing though. I'd find a radiator shop and see if it can be rodded out. Replacement might be the cheapest way out.

Petro-Sooner
4/26/2007, 02:47 PM
OK, I went by O'Reillys and asked about the scan do-hickey but they wanted a couple hundred bucks to rent the thing. Even though I would get that money back but the guy said that you really needed to know how to read it and that a reading may not indicate that necassary problem. Anywho, It really only "shakes" when the accelerator is being applied. TIA.

sanantoniosooner
4/26/2007, 02:49 PM
autozone will scan it for you for free.

Petro-Sooner
4/26/2007, 02:53 PM
Thats what the O'Reilly guy said but I asked him if those guys knew what they were doing or if they would know how to properly diagnosis the vehicle. I got an, "yeah right" look, so I didnt bother driving across town.

sanantoniosooner
4/26/2007, 02:56 PM
Thats what the O'Reilly guy said but I asked him if those guys knew what they were doing or if they would know how to properly diagnosis the vehicle. I got an, "yeah right" look, so I didnt bother driving across town.
well it always depends on who you get, and they can't always be specific. But a little bit of vague information is better than none at all :D And is it surprising that they wouldn't have anything good to say about a competitor?

Of course, for me, the O'Reilly's is across the street from the Autozone. I'd rather buy parts from O, but the zone is more helpful for troubleshooting.

olevetonahill
4/26/2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks. We were able to squeeze a mallet inbetween a bunch of wires and cords from the top and get her going.

Now I have a follow-up that is entirely unrelated to this issue. On my 1999 grand am, I have this intermittent annoyance that, from time to time, the clicker from the blinkers just like to go off on their own. sometimes it can continue to do this for an entire trip. It appears to happen randomly, with a slight preference for happening right after the blinker turns off. When it happens, the blinkers are not blinking...it's just making the click-click, click-click noise. A lot. WTF is going on?

TIA.
Sounds like the Flasher is going bad
But can you give a lil More detail ?

olevetonahill
4/26/2007, 05:35 PM

-Shneeg
How Hot ? and Is it low on Water when you check it ?
Kinda Car is it ?

olevetonahill
4/26/2007, 05:42 PM
OK, I went by O'Reillys and asked about the scan do-hickey but they wanted a couple hundred bucks to rent the thing. Even though I would get that money back but the guy said that you really needed to know how to read it and that a reading may not indicate that necassary problem. Anywho, It really only "shakes" when the accelerator is being applied. TIA.
me thier # ill call em and chew datass.
How long since the Fuel filter was changed ? , Next check ur Motor mounts , then work back from there .
Hope Ive helped . You prolly want to put a can bottle , Of injector cleaner and a bottle Of Heet see if it helps , its fairley cheap and does a lot of good .

olevetonahill
4/26/2007, 05:44 PM
well it always depends on who you get, and they can't always be specific. But a little bit of vague information is better than none at all :D And is it surprising that they wouldn't have anything good to say about a competitor?

Of course, for me, the O'Reilly's is across the street from the Autozone. I'd rather buy parts from O, but the zone is more helpful for troubleshooting.
I guess since Ive had an account with O for almost 20 yrs , I send some one there and they Jump to help em . Just sayin ;)

Petro-Sooner
4/27/2007, 09:10 AM
me thier # ill call em and chew datass.
How long since the Fuel filter was changed ? , Next check ur Motor mounts , then work back from there .
Hope Ive helped . You prolly want to put a can bottle , Of injector cleaner and a bottle Of Heet see if it helps , its fairley cheap and does a lot of good .

Fuel filter was changed when the fuel pump was replaced a month or so ago. Not familiar with Heet. What does it do?

GottaHavePride
4/27/2007, 11:28 AM
Hah. So just to update olevet on my car's AC:

I'm in Kansas this week. We dropped the car off at the shop Wed. morning, the guy said "oh yeah, I drove one of these for years, the AC actually has to be overcharged to keep those pressure switchs from going off." I got the car back about 6 pm, drove downtown (10 minute drive) to a rehearsal. At the end of rehearsal (10 pm) I get in the car and head home - halfway back the "LOW A/C REFRIGERANT -- SERVICE A/C SOON" message comes up on the screen in the car. Needless to say, I was ****ed.

Took the car back yesterday and said "OK, now how about we try actually fixing the car?" They now assume it must be one of the pressure switches going bad (like you told me, and like I told them) but they claim none of their suppliers have those switches anymore. Then the parts department interrupts the guy on the phone to tell him a company in Nebraska has them, but we can't get them here till Monday.

Which is fantastic, since my car's coming back to Oklahoma on Sunday. :mad:

olevetonahill
4/27/2007, 12:54 PM
Fuel filter was changed when the fuel pump was replaced a month or so ago. Not familiar with Heet. What does it do?
It helps get moisture out of your fuel system ,
Try those 2 things and let me know , If it doesnr help theres a few other quick easy things to try .

olevetonahill
4/27/2007, 12:55 PM
Hah. So just to update olevet on my car's AC:

I'm in Kansas this week. We dropped the car off at the shop Wed. morning, the guy said "oh yeah, I drove one of these for years, the AC actually has to be overcharged to keep those pressure switchs from going off." I got the car back about 6 pm, drove downtown (10 minute drive) to a rehearsal. At the end of rehearsal (10 pm) I get in the car and head home - halfway back the "LOW A/C REFRIGERANT -- SERVICE A/C SOON" message comes up on the screen in the car. Needless to say, I was ****ed.

Took the car back yesterday and said "OK, now how about we try actually fixing the car?" They now assume it must be one of the pressure switches going bad (like you told me, and like I told them) but they claim none of their suppliers have those switches anymore. Then the parts department interrupts the guy on the phone to tell him a company in Nebraska has them, but we can't get them here till Monday.

Which is fantastic, since my car's coming back to Oklahoma on Sunday. :mad:
GHP give me your cars details again ? Ill see If I cant get you one . I know Its a caddy but dont remember the year and type .

GottaHavePride
4/27/2007, 02:46 PM
GHP give me your cars details again ? Ill see If I cant get you one . I know Its a caddy but dont remember the year and type .

Heh. It's ok, they're on the way here; it'll just have to wait a week or so until I can come back up here and have it installed.

olevetonahill
4/27/2007, 02:52 PM
Heh. It's ok, they're on the way here; it'll just have to wait a week or so until I can come back up here and have it installed.
bro there easy to change , A small wrench maybe , Ive changed em with just my hands.

GottaHavePride
4/27/2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah, my dad wants to make these guys do it though, since the first time around they charged him to basically assume they knew what was wrong and do stuff that really didn't need to be done without bothering to check out the car first.

olevetonahill
4/27/2007, 03:08 PM
GHP
I just called Oriellys
there are 2 switchs on your ride . My cost is 23 bucks for 1of em an 17 for the other so around 40 bucks Max . like I said they are an easy replacement
Id say get your money back from the idiots ;)

GottaHavePride
4/27/2007, 03:09 PM
GHP
I just called Oriellys
there are 2 switchs on your ride . My cost is 23 bucks for 1of em an 17 for the other so around 40 bucks Max . like I said they are an easy replacement
Id say get your money back from the idiots ;)

I will pass that info along. ;)

olevetonahill
4/27/2007, 03:11 PM
I will pass that info along. ;)
If you want to try it feel free to call me Ill walk you thru it .

soonerboy_odanorth
4/27/2007, 05:41 PM

-Shneeg

Let me guess: GM... maybe an Olds Alero with the 3400 6 cylinder vtec engine?

If so, let me give you some advice: Do whatever you can to just get it running, clean it up, and get straight to a dealer to take whatever trade-in value they will give you. Either that or shoot it.

Sounds to me like you have a blown intake manifold gasket, which costs mucho bucks. And I only bring it up because that GM engine is infamous for that being a problem... like it was on my car... a cute little '99 black Olds Alero... and I went through two water pumps, and a thermostat replacement, and two gasket replacements, until I finally had a mechanic tell me to do what I just told you. He said that particular engine also was known for cracked blocks, which he suspected was my problem after I gave him the sob story on all I had to have done to it. (And in case anyone is wondering I am religious about regular maintenance, oil changes etc.)

So run, run away very fast, from that car.

And never....

EVAR...

buy GM.

If you car isn't a GM piece o' **** please disregard.

Petro-Sooner
4/27/2007, 08:40 PM
Oh yeah. Thanks!!!!! Seriously.