PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Starters: Ends? LBs?

htownsooner7
4/23/2007, 05:33 PM
It is pretty well-publicized that possibly OUr biggest losses from last year come at DE and LB. I've heard that John Williams, Auston English, and Davis control their own destiny at DE and that Reed, Lofton, and Baker do the same at LB at this point. Can anyone make the argument that we will be top-notch at these positions? Particularly at end, it looks as though someone needs to step up in a way that they have not done before. It wouldn't cause me so much concern but DE and LB are often your biggest playmakers on the field. Will Reynolds have a say in this once healthy? I'd like to hear some thoughts on this matter. My prediction is that the development of these two positions will determine whether this is a Top 5 nationally ranked defense or not. OUr DTs and DBs will be first class. However, the effectiveness of the unit as a whole remains in question. Thoughts?

bixby28
4/23/2007, 06:15 PM
I couldn't agree more about the DTs and LBs. DT and LB, IMO, are the two positions with questions marks, as far as starters are concerned. If these positions are claimed early, and i think they will be, the defense will be very tough.

Auston English, Mike Reed, and Ryan Reynolds will supply plenty of talent to fill slots. My only concern is that Reed grasps the system by September and that Reynolds keeps healthy.

Collier11
4/23/2007, 09:03 PM
COrrect me if im wrong but Davis is a fullback now? The DE's are gonna be in a rotation with English, Williams, Dotson, and Beal from everything I saw and heard. The LB's will be Lofton, Reynolds(as long as healthy), and Reed with pleasant and baker getting some pt. My own asessment is that the lb's are good and will be fine but we have to get some pressure from our D-line. As good as our DB's are and trust me they are really good, no one can cover for 5-10 seconds without a reciever getting open. That will determine how good we are on D in my opinion

goingoneight
4/23/2007, 09:34 PM
When I met Mike Stoops a long time ago, he said this... and this is why I like him as a DC...

"The quicker you force them to make a play, the better your defense will be..."

IOW... make those damn QB's beat you, don't sit on your damn thumbs and let Colt McCoy or Booger Reid break your coverage down.

htownsooner7
4/24/2007, 09:10 AM
Sorry. I meant Dotson instead of Davis. We have to figure out a way to get that pass rush to "make them play fast." Otherwise, Colt will have time to pick us a part. Herbstreit said that both OU and tu will be ranked in the top 5 if not at the start of the year, very early into it. That makes the RRS HUGE again. Does Reynolds "4-6 months" start from beginning of April? When he comes back, is the expectation that he is an instant playmaker or will it take time?

htownsooner7
4/24/2007, 09:46 AM
On Soonersports.com, they project DJ Wolfe as starting SS. Can that be right?

LittleWingSooner
4/24/2007, 09:55 AM
If Reynolds gets healthy he will start at LB.

DE are Dotson and Williams with Beal and English rotating in.
LBs are Baker, Lofton, and Reed right now. Again Reynolds will start over(probably) if he's healthy.

mxATVracer10
4/24/2007, 09:55 AM
On Soonersports.com, they project DJ Wolfe as starting SS. Can that be right?

Yes it is correct. He made the move there in hopes of getting some PT, and he seems to be doing pretty good there for the most part.

setem
4/24/2007, 10:06 AM
John Williams, if he can stay healthy has the ability to be a all-american DE! He has the size and speed to make some big plays for us.

2 years ago against TCU he was pretty much shutting down his side. He had 2 sacks before he busted his knee in the 1st or 2nd quarter of that game. He blew out his knee again during the preseason last year. We can only hope that he can keep from getting hurt and get a full season in for us.

I really do think we have one of the most underrated players in the big 12 on the other side. Seeing as how no one knows him that well, he should be underrated. The coaches have had nothing but great things to say about Jeremy Beal. That cat can move and lays some serious wood. I see him as a CJ Ah You type player. He might see some time at nose guard when we run our 3 front packages. Even though he is bigger that Ah You he is just as fast.

If we can find some depth behind those guys we should be pretty darn good up front.

setem
4/24/2007, 10:08 AM
Yes it is correct. He made the move there in hopes of getting some PT, and he seems to be doing pretty good there for the most part.

Yikes! I am not a big fan of the double post but this had to the said! Why would DJ want some Paul Thompson??? Are they gay now?

OHHHH! You were talking about playing time...right? DJ gets smoked just about every damn game!

htownsooner7
4/24/2007, 02:36 PM
I don't love having Wolfe as our starting SS. Downgrades my opinion of our secondary altogether from being a strong secondary to a strong cover secondary. I like a playmaking SS like Roy W. Did Clayton just not pan out? I know he had a few rough games but in the beginning of last year, that's all anyone could talk about... how strong, fast, etc.. he was. Now..

MojoRisen
4/24/2007, 06:34 PM
Christ what about Nick Harris???

I would be playing Smith CB, Walker CB and Holmes spelling them both-

SS Nick Harris hands down- Keenan Clayton 2nd - We have Darien Williams at FS and Wolf could spell him potential.

Do you guys think Wolf is better than Nick Harris? I would have him on the field every play if I could. "Harris"

bixby28
4/24/2007, 06:40 PM
I don't think Wolfe is better than N. Harris. Harris is huge, even for a SS and, IMO, should start, down after down.

LittleWingSooner
4/24/2007, 07:03 PM
Harris will be the N-Back. I think Wolfe will do well at safety.

CatfishSooner
4/24/2007, 07:10 PM
Wolfe PSHHHH...

rankin07
4/25/2007, 06:57 PM
I am very curious about lamont robinson he was very highly recruited and I still think he will make a big impact before he leaves OU

illinisooner
4/25/2007, 09:39 PM
Wolfe at safety? He knows that position requires hitting/tackling, not pushing people out of bounds or just hanging on and dragging them down, right? I've got to believe that's based purely on spring performance, remember Williams didn't even play and Franks played pretty well too. Gotta believe Harris or Clayton will see alot of time at SS, and IIRC, Davis got moved back to DE given our lack of depth. Thought I read that somewhere, but could be wrong.

illinisooner
4/25/2007, 09:46 PM
I just looked at the depth chart and it's a little confusing. Brian Simmons starting over Brandon Walker? Auston English being the backup at both end positions is kind of weird, but that's just our lack of depth I suppose. Our two most talented DT's are in the same spot, but it really doesn't matter because of the four man rotation. MLB is Mike Reed or Ryan Reynolds...I always figured Reynolds would start over Baker and Reed was a lock to be in the middle. And finally, Williams is backing up Harris at SS...IMO those are our two best safeties, why not have them both on the field?

LittleWingSooner
4/26/2007, 10:24 AM
Williams didn't play this spring because he was injured.

soonerspudman
4/26/2007, 11:29 AM
Comment on DT's, but first, the OU website has on 07 depth chart posted, assume this is post-spring, pre-fall? Two observations:

1) Check out our starting O-line, although many intangibles go into success, the #1s average 6'5" and 314 lbs. That's worth a double-take for anyone.

2) The depth chart has no designated starter at DT, and most notebaly Stoops/Venables has Granger and McCoy pitted against each other. I like this a lot. I've felt for several years one key missing component to the teams's success has been domination on the interior D-line. Based on their talent alone, both Granger and McCoy should be starters, however the coaches are sending an unmistakable message - the DTs need to step up this year in a big way. That's the right thinking, Granger and McCoy are both first-team all american potential, they need to be challenged to achieve greatness. I look forward to seeing how the whole DT package plays out next fall...

East Coast Bias
4/27/2007, 06:52 PM
I am hoping all this talk of Wolfe starting doesn't harken back to our tendency to give players with seniority an edge over players with talent? The best safeties should start and Wolfe isn't one of the best....