PDA

View Full Version : Windy Golf Thread

SoonerAcesUp
4/23/2007, 03:51 PM
Did anybody play yesterday in the 30-40 mph winds? I played and it ridiculous at times. Had to aim 50 yards away from the target at times. Not too enjoyable to me. Anybody a good wind player? I still don't have the knockdown shot or low screamer with the driver as a consistent shot so I tend to struggle if the wind blows more than 20 mph and that seems to be the majority of time in Oklahoma. I usually have a lot of spin on my shots so that doesn't go well with windy conditions. Any tips from the pros?

Newbomb Turk
4/23/2007, 03:58 PM
I played Saturday - it was pretty windy.

I can hit the low screamer :eek: just not when I want to.

OU4LIFE
5/8/2007, 09:10 AM
wow. A golf thread and I missed it?

I'm slipping.

If you are going to play in Oklahoma, you better learn to play in the wind. I'm a pretty good knockdown player. But i've practiced it a lot too. but I don't try it with anything longer than a 5 iron...it's just too hard.

the 5 iron, for me, is good for about 155 into a good wind. I just choke it up, play it back in the stance, 3/4 swing it and finish with my hands low. I can usually count on a consistent fade.

dolemitesooner
5/8/2007, 09:17 AM
I play Disc golf in the wind.....the mud.....the snow...

TopDaugIn2000
5/8/2007, 09:21 AM
my little brothers played yesterday in the state tourney. they were supposed to play 36 holes yesterday and 18 today, but the rain held them up 'til noon yesterday so they only played 18. Not sure if they'll get to play today or not. Certainly not looking too promising.

I was teasing them last night at dinner about standing out in a wide open field waiving metal sticks around while it's lightning like crazy. smarrrrrrt.

SoonerAcesUp
5/8/2007, 09:23 AM
wow. A golf thread and I missed it?

I'm slipping.

If you are going to play in Oklahoma, you better learn to play in the wind. I'm a pretty good knockdown player. But i've practiced it a lot too. but I don't try it with anything longer than a 5 iron...it's just too hard.

the 5 iron, for me, is good for about 155 into a good wind. I just choke it up, play it back in the stance, 3/4 swing it and finish with my hands low. I can usually count on a consistent fade.

I wondered why u didn't reply. I knew u would have some advice but this thread fell apart when you didn't reply to a golf thread.

I've started playing better in the wind this year but I'm still working at it.
Thanks for the tip!

KC//CRIMSON
5/8/2007, 09:31 AM
"A River Runs Through It"

http://hm.smugmug.com/photos/150794223-M.jpg

Cedar Ridge Golf Course -Tulsa,Ok - Tuesday May 8th, 2007 - 8am

SoonerAcesUp
5/8/2007, 09:35 AM

Good thing the tournament was last week!

TopDaugIn2000
5/8/2007, 09:43 AM
the tourney that my brothers are in is SE 29th and Eastern I think. They said all the sand pits were full of water, but the course drained pretty well considering how much rain we've gotten.

Turd_Ferguson
5/8/2007, 09:44 AM
Not a pro but, like OU4Life says, your stance should have the ball about 2-3" behind center and tee'd down(about half of your normal tee hight). Hands should be in front of the club face. This would typically induce a slice or fade, so close the face just a tad....nice easy swing, let the club do the work and wallah! knocked down shot.......or chilly dip:mad:

OU4LIFE
5/8/2007, 10:03 AM

it sure didn't look like that on Sunday. Looked like a nice track. Tough and long form the back tees.

I'd love to play there.

mikeelikee
5/8/2007, 10:09 AM
I'm a member at Cedar Ridge. It is a tough course, for sure. The ladies didn't have much rough to deal with last week, but the wind made it play tougher. Believe it or not, there's only a couple of holes that could be considered to be downwind when the wind is out of the South (as is usually the case). On the other hand, about a half-dozen holes are into the wind.

If you can carve out a single-digit handicap (which I've not been able to do to this point) at Cedar Ridge, you're playing some darn good golf.

dolemitesooner
5/8/2007, 10:11 AM
I'm a member at Cedar Ridge. It is a tough course, for sure. The ladies didn't have much rough to deal with last week, but the wind made it play tougher. Believe it or not, there's only a couple of holes that could be considered to be downwind when the wind is out of the South (as is usually the case). On the other hand, about a half-dozen holes are into the wind.

If you can carve out a single-digit handicap (which I've not been able to do to this point) at Cedar Ridge, you're playing some darn good golf.
Last time I played there I shot a 79

Keep rocking

OU4LIFE
5/8/2007, 10:17 AM

Hi buddy. ;)

yeah, it's tight....I'd be a 12 there.

dolemitesooner
5/8/2007, 10:18 AM
Hi buddy. ;)

yeah, it's tight....I'd be a 12 there.
12 man you suck

OU4LIFE
5/8/2007, 10:21 AM
agreed.

Newbomb Turk
5/8/2007, 11:56 AM
We have a tournament at Lincoln Park in OKC this Saturday. I don't know if we are going to be able to play after the F0 tornado damage and all of the rain.

OU4LIFE
5/8/2007, 12:06 PM
east or west course?

Newbomb Turk
5/8/2007, 12:14 PM
I'd MUCH rather play the west, but the tournament is on the east. I'm not even sure which part of the course took the most damage.

r5TPsooner
5/8/2007, 12:37 PM
The 1st thing I have learned since living here the past month is that I will have to switch out my shafts to help offset the wind.

It looks like I'll be going back to some DG's real soon.

picasso
5/8/2007, 12:48 PM

what hole is that with the crazy 90 degree dogleg left? 3 or something.
I've played there about 3 times. that was one crazy hole, hit maybe a 3 wood and then a 5 iron as I recall.

I did bird numba one my first time out.:)
my best friend's FIL used to be a member there. he went back to Indian Springs because he said Cedar had too many stuffy shirted old farts.

OU4LIFE
5/8/2007, 01:04 PM
the west is the better course, IMO.

good luck. I was supposed to play Twin Hills yesterday and today, but we got rained out.

Newbomb Turk
5/13/2007, 03:34 PM
From what I saw yesterday, the west course took most of the damage. If you drive in from the north on Grand Blvd, there is quite a bit of tree damage on 7 & 8. There was a little bit of tree damage on the east side, but not bad. I was shocked we didn't have to stay on the cart paths - it was still really soggy.

OU4LIFE
5/14/2007, 07:22 AM
how did you play?

Newbomb Turk
5/14/2007, 07:37 AM
how did you play?

not so well. I was pulling a bunch of shots to the left for some reason. I don't play enough or practice at all anymore, so I can't expect too much.

Luckily for me, it was a scramble so I didn't have to play my own ball everytime. I did roll in 3 straight birdie putts for our team on the back 9 though - each was 15 feet or more.

It was a beautiful day, and I had fun.

OU4LIFE
5/14/2007, 08:09 AM
They've moved our OGA event to Lincoln West now, since we were rained out at Twin Hills.

I haven't played the west course in years. I need to get down there for a practice round.

Any suggestions?

picasso
5/14/2007, 08:55 AM
how did you play?
me? 81 Friday at the Oaks. not bad when you consider I had a triple on #10. Finally hitting my irons like I want.

OU4LIFE
5/14/2007, 09:16 AM
Nice job Tommy Two Gloves.

picasso
5/14/2007, 09:19 AM
Nice job Tommy Two Gloves.
heh.

OU4LIFE
5/14/2007, 09:24 AM
me? 81 Friday at the Oaks. not bad when you consider I had a triple on #10. Finally hitting my irons like I want.

We had a bunch of the guys from Lakeside down Saturday.

I clipped them, played just ok, but I had 4 birdies and posted a 75.

cha-ching.

picasso
5/14/2007, 09:30 AM
nice! Always good to defend the home turf.

ever find that ball on that one hole?

OU4LIFE
5/14/2007, 10:02 AM
I don't know what you are talking about. I have both my balls right here.

sanantoniosooner
5/14/2007, 10:04 AM
When I saw "windy" and "golf" in the title, I knew 4life would be in the mix.

picasso
5/14/2007, 10:12 AM
When I saw "gay" and "golf shoes" in the title, I knew 4life would be in the mix.
fixed.

OU4LIFE
5/14/2007, 10:56 AM
dude, you can hate on my game, but lay off the sweet kicks.

I rock the coolest golf shoes, and you hate it cause I got game too.

We can't all just wear 'brown' with everything.

picasso
5/14/2007, 11:00 AM
I actually wear black shoes because I love Mike Tyson.

OU4LIFE
5/14/2007, 11:08 AM
you wear black shoes with white socks and shorts.

goober.

Newbomb Turk
5/14/2007, 11:35 AM
Any suggestions

Well it's not like I play the West a bunch, so I'm no expert. I don't know if you've played it since they redid part of it. It's pretty nice for a city course, and usually in good shape.

The greens on the west are usually faster than you will find on a city course. I don't know how well you read greens, but for me the greens on the west are confusing. Lately I've found that its better to pay attention to the "lay of the land" than to trust what your eyes tell you.

picasso
5/14/2007, 12:02 PM
you wear black shoes with white socks and shorts.

goober.
ankle socks, and I wear black sometimes. please, I don't need fashion advice from you of all people. keep sportin them bugle boy carpenter pants.

OU4LIFE
5/14/2007, 12:16 PM
dude, you totally need fashion advice.

popped collars are NOT in, neither are sweatervests.

oh, and the 80's called, they want their jean shorts back.

picasso
5/14/2007, 07:33 PM
dude, you totally need fashion advice.

popped collars are NOT in, neither are sweatervests.

oh, and the 80's called, they want their jean shorts back.
haha. I have not worn jean shorts in 10 years ya wanker.

and the popped collar is coming out if I'm getting too much sun. looks better on me than on Phil.

Newbomb Turk
5/14/2007, 07:44 PM
looks better on me than on Phil.

you got the man-boobs to match?

picasso
5/14/2007, 08:38 PM
you got the man-boobs to match?
yes but mine are hard, and ripe.

Newbomb Turk
5/14/2007, 09:05 PM
how you doin?