PDA

View Full Version : Just announced on radio: Alberto Gonzalez says "I WON'T RESIGN".

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/23/2007, 03:04 PM
Somebody is showing some brass ba*ls. What will happen next with him?

yermom
4/23/2007, 03:08 PM
i'm not resigning either

SicEmBaylor
4/23/2007, 03:09 PM
I'm reasonably sure that even Gene Stipe would be less corrupt in the position.

sanantoniosooner
4/23/2007, 03:10 PM
Why is it that the guy with the longest name around here is also bent on having the longest thread titles?

Compensation?

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/23/2007, 03:11 PM
ANY WHY DO THEY ALWAYS LOOK LIKE THIS?!

OMG!

LOL!

Petro-Sooner
4/23/2007, 03:12 PM
In a couple short sentences can someone educate me on what all is going on with this stuff? I havnt been folllowing any it.

bri
4/23/2007, 03:36 PM
There were minor shenanigans. The usual air of "cover-up" ensued, taking minor shenanigans and giving them the appearance of major shenanigans. Now people are in trouble for lying...when they didn't need to in the first place.

I hope the next bunch are as inept as these guys. This never gets old. :D

FaninAma
4/23/2007, 03:40 PM
The Democrats really need to consolidate their strategy. They are wasting a lot of time and energy striking out at every issue they disagree with Bush over. It really startes to reach a burnout factor with the public and pretty soon the voters even tune out the catterwalling on the important issues.

This Democratically controlled Congress is starting to look more and more like a one-term deal.

yermom
4/23/2007, 03:42 PM
The Democrats really need to consolidate their strategy. They are wasting a lot of time and energy striking out at every issue they disagree with Bush over. It really startes to reach a burnout factor with the public and pretty soon the voters even tune out the catterwalling on the important issues.

This Democratically controlled Congress is starting to look more and more like a one-term deal.

that is what everyone wants anyway, i'm sure

Rhino
4/23/2007, 03:46 PM
LEAHY: Are you, or are you not Alberto Gonzales?
GONZALES: Senator, I, I don't recall.

LEAHY: You've been Alberto Gonzales all your life. You learned how to drive as Alberto Gonzales, you graduated college as Alberto Gonzales, you were confirmed as Attorney General of the United States of America as Alberto Gonzales. Are you telling me that you don't remember whether or not you are Alberto Gonzales?
GONZALES: Senator, in my mind, no, I do not recall.

SPECTOR: Thank you Mr. Chairman and Mr. Gonzales. Mr. Gonzales, it's safe to say that you attended meetings in the White House, is that correct?
GONZALES: Senator, yes people certainly work in the White House. The White House is a place where business takes place every day. Was I ever specifically in the White House?

SPECTOR: That's the question.
GONZALES: Senator, I've been searching my mind for the last few weeks, and I can't seem to recall the answer to that question.

SPECTOR: There are pictures of you at the White House.
GONZALES: Senator, I'm not calling those pictures into question. I believe those pictures. I think those pictures are wonderful objects. I do not oppose those pictures, but those pictures and my recollection can be at odds..

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/23/2007, 03:47 PM
'...yeah, I remember grinding my feet in Eddie's couch...'

Rhino
4/23/2007, 03:49 PM
The Democrats really need to consolidate their strategy. They are wasting a lot of time and energy striking out at every issue they disagree with Bush over. It really startes to reach a burnout factor with the public and pretty soon the voters even tune out the catterwalling on the important issues. This isn't just the Democrats. A good number of Republicans are upset with Gonzales (and calling for his resignation) as well.

85Sooner
4/23/2007, 03:57 PM
This isn't just the Democrats. A good number of Republicans are upset with Gonzales (and calling for his resignation) as well.

alot of rhinos are currently residing in the republican party.

I would just like to get a new set of political puppets guys like
kennedy, spector, shumer, et al need to retire or should I say be retired.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/23/2007, 03:59 PM
IMO, he's a wimpy li'l bastage. He needs to go.

Free the Texas three...the 2 border patrol agents and the deputy sheriff...

sanantoniosooner
4/23/2007, 03:59 PM
alot of rhinos are currently residing in the republican party.

Rhinos have their own political party (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhinoceros_Party_of_Canada)

Other platform promises released by the Rhinoceros Party included:

* repealing the law of gravity,
* reducing the speed of light because it's much too fast,
* paving Manitoba to create the world's largest parking lot,
* providing higher education by building taller schools,
* instituting English, French and illiteracy as Canada's three official languages,
* offering to retrain those constituents who want to become illiterate by enrolling them in a state educational institution,
* tearing down the Rocky Mountains so that Albertans could see the Pacific sunset, or moving them one metre west as a make-work project,
* legalising pot. And pans. And spatulas. And other kitchen utensils,
* building sloping roads and bicycle paths across the country so that Canadians could "coast from coast to coast",
* making all sidewalks out of rubber to prevent inebriated people from hurting themselves when they fall down
* responding to the energy crisis, reducing energy costs for transportation by moving the cities of Montréal 50 km west and Toronto 50 km east,
* abolishing pumping oil out of the ground as that oil is there to keep the earth moving smoothly on its axis and if you withdraw the oil, the whole thing will grind to a halt,
* abolishing the environment because it's too hard to keep clean and it takes up so much space,
* annexing the United States, which would take its place as the third territory, after the Yukon and the Northwest Territories (Nunavut did not yet exist) in Canada's backyard, in order to raise the mean temperature of Canada by one degree Celsius,
* replacing the Canadian Forces with clones of Vladislav Tretiak,
* end crime by abolishing all laws
* making bubble gum the national currency, so that it could be inflated or deflated at will,
* Making the pop bottle the official currency of Canada as the value went up, not down
* Paving the Bay of Fundy to create more parking in the Maritimes
* Demolishing the Rockies and using the resulting gravel to make a national nature trail
* breeding a mosquito that would only hatch in January so that "the little buggers will freeze to death",
* turning Montreal's Saint Catherine Street into the world's longest bowling alley,
* adopting the British system of driving on the left; this was to be gradually phased in over five years with large trucks and tractors first, then buses, eventually including small cars and bicycles last,
* as an energy-saving idea, putting larger wheels on the back of all cars so that they will always be going downhill,
* selling the Canadian Senate at an antique auction in California,
* putting the national debt on Visa,
* declaring war on Belgium because a Belgian cartoon character, Tintin, killed a rhinoceros in one of the cartoons,
* offering to call off the proposed Belgium-Canada war if Belgium delivered a case of mussels and a case of Belgian beer to Rhinoceros "Hindquarters" in Montréal (the Belgian Embassy in Ottawa did, in fact, do this),
* painting Canada's coastal sea limits so that Canadian fish would know where they were at all times,
* counting the Thousand Islands to make sure none were missing,
* running Penny Hoar on a safe sex platform in Toronto,
* running more than one candidate per riding as an MP's salary is certainly enough to support more than one person,
* exploiting acid rain as an electrical energy source by placing dissimilar-metal electrodes in Canadian swimming pools in order to use them as batteries,
* making Canadians stronger by putting steroids in the water,
* banning lousy Canadian winters,
* moving the Vatican to Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville, Quebec to promote tourism,
* putting the West Edmonton Mall on wheels and rolling it to areas of the country suffering from economic depression,
* turning the Louis-Hippolyte Lafontaine tunnel in Montreal into a free carwash by poking holes in the ceiling,
* transforming the Montreal Olympic Stadium into a gigantic beluga aquarium,
* drafting the Queen Mother to sew up the hole in the ozone layer
* building giant domes over several conservative neighbourhoods to keep the dinosaurs, both real and political, in.
* annexing Greenland and creating a cartel with other northern nations in order to sell icebergs to the Saudis; the cartel would be called "Snopec",
* digging a canal from coast to coast, by hand, to reduce unemployment; and then, leveling the Rocky Mountains and using the canal to transport the material east to fill in the Great Lakes, in order to expand Canada's landmass.
* impose an "import quota on lousy winters -- Canadians are sick of being God's frozen people. It's time to get back to the four basic seasons: salt, pepper, mustard and vinegar."
* include the word "fun" in Acts of Parliament, Acts of Provincial Legislatures, and Bylaws of municipalities, from which it was apparently conspicuously absent.

Rhino
4/23/2007, 04:01 PM
alot of rhinos are currently residing in the republican party. Tom Coburn is the farthest right-wing RINO I've ever seen, then.

OklahomaTuba
4/23/2007, 04:01 PM
He isn't overly impressive IMO.

But to resign for firing someone is pretty stupid.

SicEmBaylor
4/23/2007, 04:03 PM
Tom Coburn is the farthest ring-wing RINO I've ever seen, then.
Tom Coburn is definitely a RINO in the sense that the GOP now is quite liberal and he isn't.

Widescreen
4/23/2007, 04:04 PM
Gonzales needs to go. He screwed up and he's obviously covering up. Any time the story starts to be about the individual, it's game over. If this was just a witch hunt (like happens way too frequently) I'd be behind him sticking it out. But he obviously is trying to cover his tracks. And of course Bush is once again loyal to a fault.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/23/2007, 04:16 PM
What I don't get is that the US Attorney is a political position, they serve at the pleasure of the President. So what's the deal is they fire people? I just think Gonzales is a little weasel and I don't trust him, like I don't trust much of the Bushy cabinet. Plus Gonzales has his hand on the prosecution of the Texas Three and the giving of Visas and money, etc. to a know Messican drug smuggler and cartel member.

Tear Down This Wall
4/23/2007, 04:25 PM
In a couple short sentences can someone educate me on what all is going on with this stuff? I havnt been folllowing any it.

(1) People complained about some U.S. attorneys.
(2) Gonzalez sent an underling to research the complaints.
(3) Underling did said research.
(4) Research showed nine attorneys should be fired.
(5) Gonzalez notifed Bush.
(6) They agreed the attorney should be fired...or, of course, given the option to resign.
(7) Said attorneys agreed to resign.
(8) Dickwheel Democratic and Spineless Republican Senators began acting as if something was amiss.

Keep in mind, many of the spineless dickwheel Senators were former attorneys, some of whom worked as U.S. attorney. And, then, as now, they serve at the pleasure of the President. This President decided to can nine of them, which is well within his right.

Rhino
4/23/2007, 04:30 PM
How can you recall all that and our Attorney General can't?

FaninAma
4/23/2007, 04:32 PM
IMO, he's a wimpy li'l bastage. He needs to go.

Free the Texas three...the 2 border patrol agents and the deputy sheriff...

I agree. That seems to be a lesson forever lost on Bush and his administration....no amount of bending over for the Democrats in an attempt to be bipartisan will ever stop their efforts to inflict political injury to his weakened administration.

And it does coem from both parties. It has long ceased being about what is good for the country. All politics now is about consolidation od maintenance of political power.

FaninAma
4/23/2007, 04:34 PM
What I don't get is that the US Attorney is a political position, they serve at the pleasure of the President. So what's the deal is they fire people? I just think Gonzales is a little weasel and I don't trust him, like I don't trust much of the Bushy cabinet. Plus Gonzales has his hand on the prosecution of the Texas Three and the giving of Visas and money, etc. to a know Messican drug smuggler and cartel member.

Again, Bush got himself into hot water by trying to reach out to the opposition. He should have taken a page out of Clinton's book and fired the whole lot of them.

85Sooner
4/23/2007, 04:47 PM
Again, Bush got himself into hot water by trying to reach out to the opposition. He should have taken a page out of Clinton's book and fired the whole lot of them.

AND SHOULD HAVE DONE IT ON DAY ONE.

85Sooner
4/23/2007, 04:57 PM
Tom Coburn is definitely a RINO in the sense that the GOP now is quite liberal and he isn't.

there ya go.

Hatfield
4/23/2007, 05:39 PM
He isn't overly impressive IMO.

But to resign for firing someone is pretty stupid.

i don't think he should resign for firing them.

i think he should resign for showing the world what an incompetent buffoon he is.

Hatfield
4/23/2007, 05:40 PM
How can you recall all that and our Attorney General can't?

actually i don't think he can recall at this moment that he can't recall....at the moment after searching his memory

Okla-homey
4/23/2007, 05:47 PM
The thing that bugs me about this, is it's much ado about nothing.

W could have gone on TV and said, "look, I'm the decider when it comes to executive branch officers who aren't appointed to specified terms and who serve at my pleasure. I decided I was no longer pleasured. I then called the AG and asked him to drop the hammer on 'em. They weren't bad lawyers, I just didn't like their politics. In short, my boy Alberto fired 'em because they were'nt toeing the line on prosecuting stuff we felt needed prosecution."

Unfortunately, that option was deemed (by somebody) to be politically untenable, but it sure would have been refreshing.

85Sooner
4/23/2007, 07:01 PM
What this has to do with is the Scooter libby fiasco. The dems are all up in arms because they want to turn any mis statement into a crime. Not sure why the repubs are so in on it but would bet it has to do with them trying to gain favor to get their bills heard. Its the only thing that makes logical sense.

Widescreen
4/23/2007, 07:08 PM
W could have gone on TV and said, "look, I'm the decider when it comes to executive branch officers who aren't appointed to specified terms and who serve at my pleasure. I decided I was no longer pleasured. I then called the AG and asked him to drop the hammer on 'em. They weren't bad lawyers, I just didn't like their politics. In short, my boy Alberto fired 'em because they were'nt toeing the line on prosecuting stuff we felt needed prosecution."
This is exactly it in a nutshell. Politicians will never learn. They ALWAYS resort to misdirection even when there's nothing to misdirect and it makes them look like criminals even when they aren't doing something criminal (which may be rare anyway). Bush should've said exactly what happened on day 1 - because it doesn't seem anything was done incorrectly. Instead we're in the whole "I don't remember" phase. :mad:

jk the sooner fan
4/23/2007, 07:26 PM
The thing that bugs me about this, is it's much ado about nothing.

Unfortunately, that option was deemed (by somebody) to be politically untenable, but it sure would have been refreshing.

in a nutshell, this has been one of Bush's biggest failures as a president - he takes the high road too often and legs those against him take and fire shots at will....he never defends his actions.....drives me nuts

SicEmBaylor
4/23/2007, 07:35 PM
The firing of the US attorneys isn't really the problem for me since the President can legally do it even if it is a shameless political move by Rove.

My problem is that Gonzales is limp wristed and virtually useless as an Attorney General. I watch a LOT of C-SPAN and from this issue to a whole host of other issues, I have yet to hear him legitimately answer one question.

Rhino
4/23/2007, 08:35 PM
Not sure why the repubs are so in on it but would bet it has to do with them trying to gain favor to get their bills heard. Its the only thing that makes logical sense. Or that they want to do what's right and distance themselves from a lying, spineless AG.