PDA

View Full Version : Starting Line-up Next Year

IronHorseSooner
4/23/2007, 01:38 PM
I know it's early, and we still have some opportunities out there, but what do y'all think it will be? Here's my take (assuming that we don't get Lucas):

PF- Blake Griffin
PF- Taylor Griffin
SF- Tony Crocker
SG- Cade Davis
PG- Bobby Maze

We start with the two Griffins up front. Maybe they can have the same sibling spark that the Paris twins do for the women's team. Tony Crocker showed some good things last year, and has good athleticism and defensive skills. We need a shooter at SG, and Davis is that. If he doesn't produce, watch for Neysmith or Early. The options at point are Maze, AJ, or Neysmith. AJ has not been the same after the injury, and Neysmith is a true frosh.

Just my .02.

Rhino
4/23/2007, 01:49 PM
The only one I'd disagree with you on is Cade Davis. He might be able to play early and all, but I'm betting Capel goes with Godbold as the other wing to give some stability to the lineup.

Frozen Sooner
4/23/2007, 01:58 PM
1-Recruit to be named later.
2-Godbold
3-Crocker/Moose depending on matchups
4-Blake Griffin/Moose depending on matchups
5-Longar Longar

OSUAggie
4/23/2007, 02:17 PM
So what kind of year are you guys expecting, depending on whether or not you're able to fill the final 2 scholarships with anything that might make an immediate impact?

Rhino
4/23/2007, 02:47 PM
If we can't land one of the last big recruits - about like this year. Probably a few more wins and an NIT bid.

Still super early to predict that though.

King Crimson
4/23/2007, 05:44 PM
If we can't land one of the last big recruits - about like this year. Probably a few more wins and an NIT bid.

Still super early to predict that though.

i think that's likely regardless. overachieve and maybe a bubble team. until we have someone who can score the rock i think we're a congenital 40% from the floor team.

projecting the starting 5, no freaking clue.

sooneron
4/23/2007, 09:05 PM
i think that's likely regardless. overachieve and maybe a bubble team. until we have someone who can score the rock i think we're a congenital 40% from the floor team.

projecting the starting 5, no freaking clue.
Yeah, same here.

LittleWingSooner
4/23/2007, 09:57 PM
Longar-C
Griffin-F(Probably Taylor to start the year Blake by years end)
Godbold
Crocker
AJ/Maze

We need someone to step up at the 2 wings desperately or it's a long year.

william_brasky
4/23/2007, 10:35 PM
It doesn't matter who starts.

It matters who finishes.

You've been brasky_pwned. :P

brown town sooner
4/23/2007, 11:14 PM
I'm not sure if Cade will start or not but I know he'll work his tail off and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't crack the starting lineup at some point. He's a shooting guard and Capel has said he wants someone who's going to be able to stop and pop....something they didn't have this year. Cade can also run the floor if need be. We shall see but there is no doubt...they should be better next year than this.

Ash
4/24/2007, 12:33 AM
I think several of the new recruits have a chance to break into the starting five.

Griffin is the most likely, IMO, but I think Neysmith and Davis both have a great shot as well. We'll have to wait and see how long it takes for them to get adjusted to a higher level of basketball and how the returning players have progressed.

But the team needs scorers, better PG play and Griffin brings a lot of skill and athleticism to the team.

Big Red Ron
4/24/2007, 07:27 AM
Longar-C
Griffin-F(Probably Taylor to start the year Blake by years end)
Godbold
Crocker
AJ/Maze

We need someone to step up at the 2 wings desperately or it's a long year.The only way AJ should hit the floor next year is if we're in huge trouble with penalties. He's a Sooner, yes, but he isn't really a D1 player imho. I thought we should have let him go and opened up another scholorship. He could be very good in the NAIA but in the Big XII he's over matched almost every game.

1 Maze/Neysmith/in case of emergency AJ
2 Crocker/Davis/Early
3 Godbold/Early/T-Griff
4 B-Griff/T-Griff/Moose
5 Longer/Moose

SoonerSinger3
4/24/2007, 08:49 AM
Point Guard-Maze or Ugly Boy Johnson
2 Guard-Tony Crocker
2 Guard-David Godbold
Center or wannabe center-Longar
PF-either blake or taylor griffin

LittleWingSooner
4/24/2007, 09:52 AM
The only way AJ should hit the floor next year is if we're in huge trouble with penalties. He's a Sooner, yes, but he isn't really a D1 player imho. I thought we should have let him go and opened up another scholorship. He could be very good in the NAIA but in the Big XII he's over matched almost every game.

1 Maze/Neysmith/in case of emergency AJ
2 Crocker/Davis/Early
3 Godbold/Early/T-Griff
4 B-Griff/T-Griff/Moose
5 Longer/Moose

AJ wasn't near as bad as anyone thinks. AJ/Maze's biggest problems were that they would get a perfect assist and Neal misses a 3 or Longar misses a lay up or Griffin misses an open 5 footer. If we have that happen this year we can have Steve Nash at the point and it won't help a bit. AJ is a lot better player then anyone credits him for.

Big Red Ron
4/24/2007, 10:27 AM
AJ has average to poor ball handling skills, isn't a great shooter and isn't a 3 point threat. Add the fact that he's not a physical guy and we added Neysmith, I just don't see were he gets into a game next season.

LittleWingSooner
4/24/2007, 11:02 AM
I think he has better then average ball handling skills. And he was one of our best 3 point shooters last year with Godbold. If Neal shoots 45% like he did the year before then we have at least 18 wins IMO. But I don't think it'll matter what AJ or Maze shoot next year. They aren't any worse then most of the points we've had since back in the Billy Tubbs days. I can only think of 4 point guards at OU I consider great. McAlister, Blaylock, Ontjes, and White. And Blaylock wasn't really a true point. And Ontjes didn't look like a good point guard if he doesn't have Ryan Minor. He probably has similar numbers to AJ/Maze if he has no Minor.

King Crimson
4/24/2007, 11:17 AM
i wouldn't say McCallister was a true pg. he was a scorer.

Michael Johnson was a true pg. MJ would have been a more heralded Sooner had he played on better, more talented teams. He did a lot of things well.

Big Red Ron
4/24/2007, 12:00 PM
I think he has better then average ball handling skills. And he was one of our best 3 point shooters last year with Godbold. If Neal shoots 45% like he did the year before then we have at least 18 wins IMO. But I don't think it'll matter what AJ or Maze shoot next year. They aren't any worse then most of the points we've had since back in the Billy Tubbs days. I can only think of 4 point guards at OU I consider great. McAlister, Blaylock, Ontjes, and White. And Blaylock wasn't really a true point. And Ontjes didn't look like a good point guard if he doesn't have Ryan Minor. He probably has similar numbers to AJ/Maze if he has no Minor.Bleh, your BBall IQ ain't very high. I can tell you follow the Sooners and are a good fan but if you think AJ is anything but an NAIA or D II two guard, I have some bridges you might be interested in. He loses his job to a Freshman, book it.

LittleWingSooner
4/24/2007, 12:23 PM
i wouldn't say McCallister was a true pg. he was a scorer.

Michael Johnson was a true pg. MJ would have been a more heralded Sooner had he played on better, more talented teams. He did a lot of things well.

Michael Johnson wasn't any better then the guys we have right now. He had guys that could score around him though. That was the biggest difference with him.

LittleWingSooner
4/24/2007, 12:24 PM
Bleh, your BBall IQ ain't very high. I can tell you follow the Sooners and are a good fan but if you think AJ is anything but an NAIA or D II two guard, I have some bridges you might be interested in. He loses his job to a Freshman, book it.

AJ was recruited by a lot of schools. He's a D1 talent or else he wouldn't have been a 3 or 4 star(whatever it was)

I don't think he's any worse then the point guards we had under most of Sampson's tenure.

LittleWingSooner
4/24/2007, 12:34 PM
I'm not saying we need lousy point guard play next year, far from that.

But we need guys to step up at scoring. That was our problem last year. Our point guards had no options outside of Carter and somedays Longar Longar.

Crocker played bad most of the year but showed promise in a few games. Godbold became our best 3 point shooter by the years end(AJ ended up leading that category), which is just sad. Griffin was a solid rebounder and sometimes he looked damn good on offense. Most of the time he looked like he didn't know what a basketball was on offense.

We lose our only consistent offensive weapon from the end of last year and really for all of last year in Carter. That hurts the offense a ton. I doubt a Blake Griffin or any of the freshmen come in and score 15 a game. I hope we get a JUCO that can do that. But it's tough for any player to come in and just be a scoring threat.

I think we get 12-15 a game from Longar. I hope he improves to closer to 20 a game because we really need that. Crocker needs to score 15 a game also. Godbold and AJ may need to score 10+ for us to score enough to win.

stoopified
4/25/2007, 06:38 AM
Its off the original topic but Ricky Grace is the best point guard I've seen at OU(Mookie was the 2 guard).followed by Terry Evans( he could dish or bury you from 3).TMac wasn't atrue point because he NEVER met a shot he didn't likeand IMHO was the most OVERRATED guard in OU history.He is living proof that if you take enough shots you don't have to be a good shooter to score.

As for the original point of this post my starting 5:
L2/Blake/Cade/Godbold/only God Himself knows.

crawfish
4/25/2007, 08:16 AM
Its off the original topic but Ricky Grace is the best point guard I've seen at OU(Mookie was the 2 guard).followed by Terry Evans( he could dish or bury you from 3).TMac wasn't atrue point because he NEVER met a shot he didn't likeand IMHO was the most OVERRATED guard in OU history.He is living proof that if you take enough shots you don't have to be a good shooter to score.

As for the original point of this post my starting 5:
L2/Blake/Cade/Godbold/only God Himself knows.

Terry Evans? He was just as likely to commit a silly turnover as he was to make a big play. We've had plenty of better PG's than Evans: Quannas, Ontjes, Brent Price, just to name a few.

LittleWingSooner
4/25/2007, 08:28 AM
Brent Price wasn't really a point guard either. I forgot about Evans and Grace, those were solid points also. Grace was really good. If you look at the points under Tubbs they were usually more 2s than they were point guards. Under Sampson we've had mostly point guards that play a much smaller role. Scoring about 8-10 ppg at the most and about 2-5 assists a game. The best 2 (Quannas an Ontjes) were good leaders and made their team better. But if you put a guy like AJ, Michael Johnson, or Heskett in those situations, there isn't a big drop off with those teams, because the point guard only had to feed it to great players like Price, McGee, Minor, and Ere.

stoopified
4/26/2007, 09:50 AM
Terry Evans? He was just as likely to commit a silly turnover as he was to make a big play. We've had plenty of better PG's than Evans: Quannas, Ontjes, Brent Price, just to name a few.This proves just how subjective player evaluation is because I saw Evans play his ENTIRE creer and he was NOT turnover prone IMO,at least no more so than any other Tubbs point.He has an OUTSTANDING A/ TO ratio and if I'm not mistaken is STILL the school assist leader.I can't find last years media guide to confirm the numbers but I am 99% sure of the accuray.Quames,Ontjes were nice points steady and all but noting more.Neither was the offensive threat that Evans was.