PDA

View Full Version : Would you parents

Soonrboy
4/23/2007, 01:03 PM
Just tell your kids to quit acting like idiots at school and listen to their teachers? Geez. I hate this time of year. Kids sent to my office for flipping someone off. I feel like flipping the same teacher off sometimes.

OUDoc
4/23/2007, 01:03 PM
They hate it when I tell them what to do. ;)

soonerbrat
4/23/2007, 01:04 PM
My kids aren't allowed to act like idiots or they get their asses kicked.

Bourbon St Sooner
4/23/2007, 01:08 PM
You should show the kids how to do the "read between the lines" flip off. I don't think it's technically a flip off.

Soonrboy
4/23/2007, 01:16 PM

I love parents like you.

OUDoc
4/23/2007, 01:17 PM
My kids aren't acting, but they would get their asses kicked for flipping off the teacher.

skycat
4/23/2007, 01:19 PM
I'll try. But I don't think he has the language skills to understand what I'm saying.

royalfan5
4/23/2007, 01:21 PM
You just need to cultivate a more intimidating aura as principal. Toss the next miscreant through a plate glass window, and see if it helps.

Soonrboy
4/23/2007, 01:42 PM
****, I can't even threaten to spank someone.

Ardmore_Sooner
4/23/2007, 01:45 PM
http://www.thesimpsonsquotes.com/images/skinnerpointing.gif

Frozen Sooner
4/23/2007, 01:49 PM
Just tell your kids to quit acting like idiots at school and listen to their teachers? Geez. I hate this time of year. Kids sent to my office for flipping someone off. I feel like flipping the same teacher off sometimes.

You know, it's awesome some of the stuff I hear from educators anymore.

In the Anchorage School District, it is now policy to allow middle-schoolers unlimited absences without penalty so long as the parent allows it. If the child is out of school for more than two straight weeks, they are withdrawn, but allowed to re-enroll with no penalty and without having to do the makeup work. This allows parents to take little johnny on month-long comp hockey trips. 'Cause, you know, hockey is WAY more important than getting an education.

yermom
4/23/2007, 01:51 PM
damn, i wish i would have gone to school in Alaska

Frozen Sooner
4/23/2007, 01:52 PM
Well, apparently this stems from a court case in Oregon. A child had 56 absences, which was over the limit. However, the kid was brilliant, completed ALL of the schoolwork on time, and was taking courses at the university at the same time. The parents sued over the automatic fail, as their child had completed all of the work and obviously had no need to be there.

yermom
4/23/2007, 01:53 PM
that's teh win

Frozen Sooner
4/23/2007, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I mean, I sympathize with the Oregon parents-there was no real reason to fail that kid.

On the other hand, that kid is the exception, not the rule, you know? It should be handled on a case-by-case basis, but you can't do it that way.

Soonrboy
4/23/2007, 03:03 PM
I've got kids missing 40 plus days, all because the "parents" say that they can't get the kid to get up. I'm in Elementary school, folks. Does not bode well for our overcrowded prison population

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/23/2007, 03:06 PM
If I had to go to the Principal's office...for flipping off a teacher...and my Dad found out about it?

I can haz asswhippin', plxthxbai.

yermom
4/23/2007, 03:07 PM
i'd still like to flip off some of my teachers

Petro-Sooner
4/23/2007, 03:10 PM
I've got kids missing 40 plus days, all because the "parents" say that they can't get the kid to get up.

Wow. Simply amasing.

Dio
4/23/2007, 03:10 PM
This thread is reason #567,872 why we home school.

And reason #1,726 the US is turning into France

yermom
4/23/2007, 03:12 PM
Wow. Simply amasing.

yeah, let them fail then

soonerbrat
4/23/2007, 03:12 PM
my daughter has one teacher i'd like to flip off....

this woman would not let my daughter go into the building during recess to put ice on her head one day when she bumped it..daughter came home with a big lump on her head...

same woman would not let kids in on a freezing day even if they want to do homework instead of play outside - except her own daughter and her two friends who were allowed to stay in..

same woman who needed to have some talk with just the girls, so she LOCKED the boys into a classroom, then forgot about them and went to lunch, leaving them locked in during their lunch break

yeah..the list goes on.

soonersweetie
4/23/2007, 04:17 PM
I've got kids missing 40 plus days, all because the "parents" say that they can't get the kid to get up. I'm in Elementary school, folks. Does not bode well for our overcrowded prison population

That is unbelievable! I would love to have seen the look on my mom/dad's faces if I told them, no I'm not getting up to go school and they can't make me.

Wait, on second thought, no I don't. That would have been one hell of a butt whoopin.

I think the most important thing that parents/teachers can teach a child these days is that "THE KIDS ARE NOT IN CHARGE" They have not earned that right yet. When they show some respect and grow up to be responsible young adults, we'll discuss it.

soonersweetie
4/23/2007, 04:18 PM
my daughter has one teacher i'd like to flip off....

this woman would not let my daughter go into the building during recess to put ice on her head one day when she bumped it..daughter came home with a big lump on her head...

same woman would not let kids in on a freezing day even if they want to do homework instead of play outside - except her own daughter and her two friends who were allowed to stay in..

same woman who needed to have some talk with just the girls, so she LOCKED the boys into a classroom, then forgot about them and went to lunch, leaving them locked in during their lunch break

yeah..the list goes on.

Oh, uh, NOT! I would have had that teacher's job in a NY minute. I always tell my kids that the teacher is in charge in my absence. But there is a point where teaching stops and abuse of power takes over.

They would so not like me at that school.

SicEmBaylor
4/23/2007, 04:22 PM
You know, it's awesome some of the stuff I hear from educators anymore.

In the Anchorage School District, it is now policy to allow middle-schoolers unlimited absences without penalty so long as the parent allows it. If the child is out of school for more than two straight weeks, they are withdrawn, but allowed to re-enroll with no penalty and without having to do the makeup work. This allows parents to take little johnny on month-long comp hockey trips. 'Cause, you know, hockey is WAY more important than getting an education.

My senior year of HS I decided it was pointless to come to school 5 days a week, so I took a day off every week which became known as "SicEm's Day Off" and was the sort of many a joke.

Anyway, I just had my dad write doctors notes to excuse me but toward the end of school he went out of town for a few days and I realized that I was one absence over the limit in one of my classes that I had forgot to get a note for. Well, my dad was gone right so there's no way I can get a note and this is the very last day I can turn one in. So the principal sends me down there to see if one of those absences wasn't really a tardy that had been recorded as such by mistake.

I go and explain the situation to my teacher and ask if one of those absences wasn't really a tardy and she said, "well it is now!"

That's my story of how I almost didn't graduate HS.

BajaOklahoma
4/23/2007, 04:31 PM

<sigh> We do too. Texas law requires a district hearing for any child missing 10% (that's 18 days) of the school year. They will have to devote an entire day to our school.
And if I told you some of the stories, you wouldn't believe them.

usmc-sooner
4/23/2007, 04:52 PM
I think my HS principal would have kicked my *** if I flipped off a teacher.

ah the good ole days.

soonerboomer93
4/23/2007, 06:07 PM
In HS i think it was at either 9 or 12 absences (in a semester) you had to go to the committee to stay in school for the semester. The committee was a student, a teacher and the vice principal. Of course, I was nerdy enough to be on the committee, and boy, did I ever hear some interesting stories.

Right now I live in a country where the kids go to school 5-6 days a week. High school kids are often there until 10 pm, studying. Americans are becoming lazy slackers...

Suerreal
4/23/2007, 07:00 PM
Right now I live in a country where the kids go to school 5-6 days a week. High school kids are often there until 10 pm, studying. Americans are becoming lazy slackers...

But we're the best message board posters in world!

- Sue

soonerboomer93
4/23/2007, 07:22 PM
But we're the best slackers in world!

- Sue

fixed ;)

sanantoniosooner
4/23/2007, 07:47 PM
My son has missed 49 days this year with doctor excuse for almost all.

Next year he goes into high school and it'll get hairy if he keeps this stuff up.

SicEmBaylor
4/23/2007, 07:54 PM
My son has missed 49 days this year with doctor excuse for almost all.

Next year he goes into high school and it'll get hairy if he keeps this stuff up.
After 9th and 10th grade you're basically just building on what you already know. In fact, most of HS is exactly that which is why I didn't see the need to go more than 4 days a week.

Seriously though, high school isn't that hard these days he'll be fine.

sanantoniosooner
4/23/2007, 08:00 PM
There isn't that much leniency with a large number of absences. As bad as it has been, we might have to find a program that lets him do work from home. I've heard there are a few of those programs even with the public schools.

olevetonahill
4/23/2007, 08:12 PM
Uhhem
Ive always been hard to wake in the Mornings ,
Dad helped me get to school by openong the window , toss my lazyass out in the snow in my undies , tossing me some clothes, and Yelling NOW GETURASS TO SKOOL .

SicEmBaylor
4/23/2007, 08:13 PM
There isn't that much leniency with a large number of absences. As bad as it has been, we might have to find a program that lets him do work from home. I've heard there are a few of those programs even with the public schools.

My sister had that issue. She was diagnosed with Wegener's Disease and suffered total kidney shutdown her 7th grade year. She did an online home school program through Muskogee until she got her transplant and got the Wegener's into remission.

SoonerGirl06
4/23/2007, 09:29 PM
****, I can't even threaten to spank someone.

That might be the reason why kids are flipping off the teachers.

I remember the days if you misbehaved, a student got sent to the office for a couple of licks from the principal. You could hear the swats all the way down the hall. Made your buttcheeks pucker like nothing else.

Fraggle145
4/23/2007, 09:42 PM

I remember the days if you misbehaved, a student got sent to the office for a couple of licks from the principal. You could hear the swats all the way down the hall. Made your buttcheeks pucker like nothing else.

Dude, I got swats at least once every year except for 4th grade at least until I hit 10th grade. Always worked for me.

olevetonahill
4/23/2007, 09:52 PM

Hell My butt still remembers the days . You missed behaved . The teach just made you bend over at the desk as the class watched . and that bigassedoleboard with holes drilled init went
Whoosh , SMACK datass:(
you went back to yer desk sat very gingerly done and kept your mouth shut .
Not to many yrs ago . well it was to, 30 or so . ( damn im gettin old )
A shop teacher here in S/E Ok , used a fan belt wrapped around his wrist and smackedatass .

SicEmBaylor
4/23/2007, 09:54 PM
I never had a teacher even so much as raise her voice to me. In middle school I did get detention once for 3 tardies and the principal thought it was so funny he came down and said, "I'm glad to see that you got detention at least once!"

I said, **** off *******.

SoonerGirl06
4/23/2007, 09:56 PM
Hell My butt still remembers the days . You missed behaved . The teach just made you bend over at the desk as the class watched . and that bigassedoleboard with holes drilled init went
Whoosh , SMACK datass:(
you went back to yer desk sat very gingerly done and kept your mouth shut .
Not to many yrs ago . well it was to, 30 or so . ( damn im gettin old )
A shop teacher here in S/E Ok , used a fan belt wrapped around his wrist and smackedatass .

It wasn't that many years ago Olevet... cause I'm not old and I remember it being done.

Of course, I never went to the prinicpals office. I was just tooo sweet and innocent. ;) :D

oklaclarinet
4/23/2007, 09:58 PM
Some schools still use swats.

OCUDad
4/23/2007, 10:00 PM
I say give all these smart-a$$ kids an hour with Alec Baldwin. He'll straighten them out.

soonerbrat
4/24/2007, 08:11 AM
Oh, uh, NOT! I would have had that teacher's job in a NY minute. I always tell my kids that the teacher is in charge in my absence. But there is a point where teaching stops and abuse of power takes over.

They would so not like me at that school.

I have no idea why they won't get rid of that woman. She's a big liar as well as being an idiot. And the thing is...it's a good school..probably better than a lot of private schools.

soonerbrat
4/24/2007, 08:12 AM
Dude, I got swats at least once every year except for 4th grade at least until I hit 10th grade. Always worked for me.

obviously it worked if you got swats every year :rolleyes:

soonerbrat
4/24/2007, 08:16 AM
Oh..and I heard a related funny story last night...

One of my poker buddies' wives is a junior high bio teacher...at least every year there's at least one kid that's a real troublemaker...so she'll give that kid a hall pass and tell him to go around asking other female teachers for fallopian tubes for a biology experiment..and they always fall for it

the other teachers play along and tell him
"mine are all tied up" or "i'm using mine right now"

Okla-homey
4/24/2007, 08:19 AM
If you're worried about this sort of thing and you're a teacher, get a job at a private school...a little less money, but the kids are better behaved and so far, still no deadly school violence to report...except that Amish tragedy, and that was not perpetrated by a student.

sanantoniosooner
4/24/2007, 08:36 AM
If you're worried about this sort of thing and you're a teacher, get a job at a private school...a little less money, but the kids are better behaved and so far, still no deadly school violence to report...except that Amish tragedy, and that was not perpetrated by a student.
eh.....MOST private schools.

I've been in some Catholic schools down here that had a pretty rowdy group of students.

Okla-homey
4/24/2007, 08:44 AM
eh.....MOST private schools.

I've been in some Catholic schools down here that had a pretty rowdy group of students.

The sisters must be slipping. Back in the day, a penguin could lock a kid up with a single stare.;)

jk the sooner fan
4/24/2007, 08:52 AM
i had a teacher my senior tell me to "fu** off"......she constantly spoke about her old english sheep dog "huggy bear".....she went on and on and on and on about that damn dog, so i asked her "you'd marry that dog if you could wouldnt you?'

she told me to **** off and sent me to the principle

shortest time in that office EVER!

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/24/2007, 08:54 AM
...which is why I didn't see the need to go more than 4 days a week...

Oh, man...this is cracking me up.

In the sad, head-shaking kinda way.

Soonrboy
4/24/2007, 09:13 AM
My school is pretty cool, with very hard working teachers. Out of 640 kids and as many families, you're going to have some whoppers, it doesn't matter where you teach.

MamaMia
4/24/2007, 10:00 AM
I have a story with a happy ending I would like to share. :)

My little sister in Nebraska had to send her 14 yr. old son to live with us in Oklahoma because apparently parents are not allowed to spank their kids there. She and my brother in law tried everything but his behavior was getting worse and they had no control and no options left. They even tried to get him into that boys ranch but the people there said he wasn't far gone enough for them.

He got arrested so I drove all night. I had to pick him up from the juvenile hall the next morning. I changed into my suit and high heels in a Texaco across the street from the court house; now thats love right there! :P

I spent all morning getting papers signed by judges so I could take him out of state because he and some of his fellow children in crime had broken out some school windows. I never did spank him but one day as he was walking out of the house after being grounded for talking back, I told him that he was not going to the video arcade or anywhere else for that matter. My husband wasn't home at the time so I guess he thought he could get by with it. He said "Oh yeah?...watch me", and he started to walk out the door. I grabbed his shoulders and went to sit him down in a chair to give him a good talking to. Well, the chair accidentally tipped over with us on it. I ended up on top of him, pinning him to the ground. He was bigger than me but he thought I had floored him on purpose and he got this shocked 'Holy Mother of God' look on his face, so I just went with it. :D I threatened him within an inch of his life; all 120 lbs of me. I told him that he wasn't going anywhere. You should have seen the look on his face. It was priceless. He still talks about when Aunt ****** floored his *** and how that was the first day he started turning his life around. I will never ever tell him that it was purely unintentional.

He was making straight As the first semester we had him. He started loving the Sooners and went on to earn a scholarship to OU. Now hes a successful businessman. He also has a wonderful sense of humor, and I just adore him. :)

Mjcpr
4/24/2007, 10:04 AM
When do we get to hear about the happy ending?

royalfan5
4/24/2007, 10:12 AM
I have a story with a happy ending I would like to share. :)

My little sister in Nebraska had to send her 14 yr. old son to live with us in Oklahoma because apparently parents are not allowed to spank their kids there. She and my brother in law tried everything but his behavior was getting worse and they had no control and no options left. They even tried to get him into that boys ranch but the people there said he wasn't far gone enough for them.

He got arrested so I drove all night. I had to pick him up from the juvenile hall the next morning. I changed into my suit and high heels in a Texaco across the street from the court house; now thats love right there! :P

I spent all morning getting papers signed by judges so I could take him out of state because he and some of his fellow children in crime had broken out some school windows. I never did spank him but one day as he was walking out of the house after being grounded for talking back, I told him that he was not going to the video arcade or anywhere else for that matter. My husband wasn't home at the time so I guess he thought he could get by with it. He said "Oh yeah?...watch me", and he started to walk out the door. I grabbed his shoulders and went to sit him down in a chair to give him a good talking to. Well, the chair accidentally tipped over with us on it. I ended up on top of him, pinning him to the ground. He was bigger than me but he thought I had floored him on purpose and he got this shocked 'Holy Mother of God' look on his face, so I just went with it. :D I threatened him within an inch of his life; all 120 lbs of me. I told him that he wasn't going anywhere. You should have seen the look on his face. It was priceless. He still talks about when Aunt ****** floored his *** and how that was the first day he started turning his life around. I will never ever tell him that it was purely unintentional.

He was making straight As the first semester we had him. He started loving the Sooners and went on to earn a scholarship to OU. Now hes a successful businessman. He also has a wonderful sense of humor, and I just adore him. :)
Guess my mom missed the memo on the no spanking.

MamaMia
4/24/2007, 10:12 AM
When do we get to hear about the happy ending?Well, if getting straight A's, earning a scholarship to OU and becoming a successful businessman isn't 'happy ending' enough for you, theres more. He has been dating this wonderful girl for 3 years now and they just announced their engagement. I'll let you know when the great niece or nephew is on the way. :D