PDA

View Full Version : golf thread - instruction style

fadada1
4/23/2007, 12:33 PM
so this past friday, i got to see jim hardy teach (at oak hill) for about 2 1/2 hours. for those of you that know, he's the "one plane" swing guy. VERY interesting stuff. definitely a different way of thinking and approaching the swing.

great stuff.

OU4LIFE
4/23/2007, 12:35 PM
I love listening to him.

I have the dvd. His stuff seems VERY correct. It works for me anyway.

I'd love to hear your thoughts....feel free to peem me or e-mail.

SicEmBaylor
4/23/2007, 12:40 PM
Hey Fad, I took your free swing advice and coupled that with stuff I've read online and I think I have improved my swing slightly.

I'm taking a golf class next semester here at Baylor, so hopefully I'll improve some more after that.

OU4LIFE
4/23/2007, 12:45 PM
learn your own swing dude, seriously.

Being able to know what your faults are is huge and will allow you to make corrections on your own in between lessons.

SicEmBaylor
4/23/2007, 12:49 PM
learn your own swing dude, seriously.

Being able to know what your faults are is huge and will allow you to make corrections on your own in between lessons.

My swing is just absolutely atrocious. I played a lot of golf in middle school but quit until relatively recently. In MS my swing wasn't nearly as bad as it is now.

It's the slice...I have to practically face 90 degrees to the left when I swing in order for the ball to go somewhat straight down the fairway.

OU4LIFE
4/23/2007, 01:03 PM
a bad slice can be fixed pretty quickly given a little effort and patience.

Mjcpr
4/23/2007, 01:04 PM
Just call it a power fade and act like you mean to do it.

OU4LIFE
4/23/2007, 01:07 PM
power fades generally go farther than 180, Squeek.

fadada1
4/23/2007, 01:08 PM
I love listening to him.

I have the dvd. His stuff seems VERY correct. It works for me anyway.

I'd love to hear your thoughts....feel free to peem me or e-mail.
really great stuff. i was talking with my boss about his stuff. my take on it, is that it's a very difficult swing (single plane) to learn - especially if you are just taking up the game. but once you get the principle behind it, it's very efficient and "trustworthy". but i don't think it's for everyone. the trick as a teacher, that i'll face" is not to try to push someone in that direction if they don't belong there. hardy was good at doing this.

what's interesting to me is that this "swing theory" is very counter-intuitive. the idea of an over-the-top move (while swinging left) and finishing with your weight on the heals, makes the ball go straight, is a complicated swing/movement thought. that's why i think it's difficult to learn - especially if you grew up in the 2-plane era (which most of us have).

Condescending Sooner
4/23/2007, 01:10 PM
Just call it a power fade and act like you mean to do it.

Exactly. Has been working for me for years, except when I pull out the one duck hook per round. Then I act like I was trying to "work" the ball, and just overdid it a tad.

Mjcpr
4/23/2007, 01:10 PM

Not mine, Hairy.

:D

Mjcpr
4/23/2007, 01:11 PM
Exactly. Has been working for me for years, except when I pull out the one duck hook per round. Then I act like I was trying to "work" the ball, and just overdid it a tad.
Oh yeah, you overcooked that one.

OU4LIFE
4/23/2007, 01:12 PM
I'm a one-planer naturally though, due to my body shape. So it's been fairly easy for me to simply eliminate the majority of the 2-plane stuff.

From what I've gleaned from the DVD is he talks of 'feels' more than actual movements. In what I have experienced so far, all of the teachings are extremes in order to get the 'feel'. If that makes any sense.

Fugue
4/23/2007, 01:14 PM
planes, teachings

this thread has a Zen like feel to it.

sooneron
4/23/2007, 01:39 PM
My swing is just absolutely atrocious. I played a lot of golf in middle school but quit until relatively recently. In MS my swing wasn't nearly as bad as it is now.

It's the slice...I have to practically face 90 degrees to the left when I swing in order for the ball to go somewhat straight down the fairway.
First of all, your swing prolly wasn't that great in MS. People just have selective memory. This works with women as well, btw.

Try this. Before you hit a ball, take a practice swing standing over the ball like you would normally, just be sure to miss on the practice swing by lifting the club up at the right moment. Then take a regular swing at the ball. I'll bet 20 bucks you hit it more straight nine times out of ten.

Mjcpr
4/23/2007, 01:45 PM
A lot of people say my swing reminds them of Tiger Woods. With a little Phil Mickelson mixed in on my short game. And Ben Hogan.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/23/2007, 05:57 PM
A lot of people say my swing reminds them of Tiger Woods. With a little Phil Mickelson mixed in on my short game. And Ben Hogan.

Why do you hate Jack Nicklaus?

Mjcpr
4/23/2007, 06:38 PM
Why do you hate Jack Nicklaus?

He just can't hang, that's all.

OU4LIFE
4/24/2007, 07:56 AM

Hogan was a one-planer.

jus sayin.

OU-HSV
4/24/2007, 08:04 AM
:D I can sympathize :O
Sounds like we need to start a soonerfans golf group. I went out a few weeks ago for the first time in 6 or 7 months and shot 60 on the front 9 and 52 on the back 9. I wasn't too upset cause it had been so long since I've played. But I'd like to get below 100 again. My best score last summer was a 95.

OU4LIFE
4/24/2007, 08:19 AM
I'm still waiting on the golf forum.

picasso
4/24/2007, 08:38 AM
a bad slice can be fixed pretty quickly given a little effort and patience.
oh boy, here we go again.

OU4LIFE
4/24/2007, 09:33 AM
oh boy, here we go again.

notice that I did NOT offer any advice.

wank.

Mjcpr
4/24/2007, 09:34 AM

wank.

Do you think it has anything to do with the grip?

picasso
4/24/2007, 09:47 AM

wank.
not complete without your brother SuperSooner.

OU4LIFE
4/24/2007, 09:47 AM
it's possible.

or not.

landrun
4/24/2007, 10:55 AM
I'm a 4 plane swing guy myself. :P

Hogan's book makes it look simple but a single plane is difficult and to me, seems flat. Nick Faldo claims to follow Hogan's theory but I read his book and it messed me up ... for years to follow. I still struggle with a very flat swing plane even today. It just seems 'natural' but when I look at videos of my swing it is a very poor swing. :(

what's interesting to me is that this "swing theory" is very counter-intuitive. Yeah. Its counter-productive too. :)

the idea of an over-the-top move (while swinging left) and finishing with your weight on the heals, makes the ball go straight, is a complicated swing/movement thought. that's why i think it's difficult to learn And near impossible to produce a good shot with too.

After reading that I see why golf swings can be so bad. :)

What a player really needs to do is incorporate the fundamental of re-routing the swing at the top, while rotating the club in their hands so as to strike the ball with the heel of the club through the hitting area. This is of course done while hitting against a firm left side and holding off your wrist in the hitting area, keeping the clubhead square to the target line, yet the face of the club wide open, thus striking the ball cleanly with the heel of the club, sending the ball between your legs hitting your competitor standing behind you squarely in the nut-sack, incapacitating him for the remainder of the afternoon and thus leaving you to be declared the winner of the round by default.

But that's just how I play. :)

OU4LIFE
4/24/2007, 10:59 AM
well said.

and i'm not playing with you.

fadada1
4/24/2007, 03:56 PM
I'm a 4 plane swing guy myself. :P

Hogan's book makes it look simple but a single plane is difficult and to me, seems flat. Nick Faldo claims to follow Hogan's theory but I read his book and it messed me up ... for years to follow. I still struggle with a very flat swing plane even today. It just seems 'natural' but when I look at videos of my swing it is a very poor swing. :(

Yeah. Its counter-productive too. :)
And near impossible to produce a good shot with too.

After reading that I see why golf swings can be so bad. :)

What a player really needs to do is incorporate the fundamental of re-routing the swing at the top, while rotating the club in their hands so as to strike the ball with the heel of the club through the hitting area. This is of course done while hitting against a firm left side and holding off your wrist in the hitting area, keeping the clubhead square to the target line, yet the face of the club wide open, thus striking the ball cleanly with the heel of the club, sending the ball between your legs hitting your competitor standing behind you squarely in the nut-sack, incapacitating him for the remainder of the afternoon and thus leaving you to be declared the winner of the round by default.

But that's just how I play. :)

heh. that's GOLD, jerry. GOLD!!!!

sorry i missed all this conversation yesterday. when it gets above 75 degrees in april (in rochester), people go nuts.