PDA

View Full Version : And the Big XII Gives Us...

Octavian
4/23/2007, 11:07 AM
A football TV contract with...

the NFL Network?

The Big 12 is having trouble finding a taker for its package of Saturday night television games that formerly were shown on Turner Network. The games could end up on Fox Sports Net or the NFL Network in 2007.

The conference had hoped to interest Fox in starting a weekly national football game, but those plans are late in developing.

The best scenario for the conference would be to end up on Fox and the worst would be if they landed on the NFL Network – and that’s not just coming from a Time Warner subscriber in San Antonio. The limited reach of the NFL Network would again push the Big 12 into an unfortunate "stepbrother" perception compared to other Bowl Championship Series-affiliated conferences with wider exposure for their Saturday night games.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/big12/stories/MYSA042007.WEBbig12insider.en.2bd04be4.html

Our TV market isn't as large as the SEC's....but still, the NFL Network?

jeez

royalfan5
4/23/2007, 11:12 AM
Might as well just put them on PBS in that case.

sooner518
4/23/2007, 11:12 AM
dear God help us all.

OSUAggie
4/23/2007, 11:13 AM
This is pathetic. Our TV deals have been **** since day 1.

Collier11
4/23/2007, 11:16 AM
I liked the saturday night games on TBS but oh well, how about the WB??

Big Red Ron
4/23/2007, 11:21 AM
I predict that the NFL network will be bigger than FOXSW in less than two years. It'll be ESPN like in five years and it wouldn't be bad at all to be on there. Our players will get more NFL exposure being mixed in there. I get the channel and like it way better than ESPN already. 2 cents

Rhino
4/23/2007, 11:21 AM
Way to go Weiberg.

OKsooner28
4/23/2007, 11:42 AM
The NFL Network doesn't come in HD, though.

Boomer.....
4/23/2007, 11:53 AM
Anything but FSSW.

OSUAggie
4/23/2007, 11:54 AM
A little #'s breakdown...

SEC - 9 states, 52 million. Kentucky, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida have teams in other BCS conferences.

Big XII - 7 states, 44.1 million people. Iowa is the only state with another institution in a BCS conference.

Big 10 - 8 States, 66.5 million people. Iowa, Indiana and Pennsylvania also have institutions within other BCS conferences or something of the like (Notre Dame).

Pac 10 - 4 States, 52.6 million. No states have a non-member institution within another BCS conference.

Big East - 7 states, 65.8 million. Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and Florida all have institutions in other BCS conferences.

ACC - 7 states, 1 district, 57 million people. Florida, South Carolina and Georgia have institutions in the SEC.

flopshotjoe99
4/23/2007, 12:08 PM

since when?:confused: Dish Network offers it in both regular & HD.:cool:

sooner518
4/23/2007, 12:09 PM
I predict that the NFL network will be bigger than FOXSW in less than two years. It'll be ESPN like in five years and it wouldn't be bad at all to be on there. Our players will get more NFL exposure being mixed in there. I get the channel and like it way better than ESPN already. 2 cents
maybe so, but the fact is that hardly anyone actually receives the NFL Network right now. Until they start packaging it in with regular cable packages, or even digital cable packages (I have Comcast digital cable with all the small sports channels like Sky Sports and Fox Soccer Channel, etccc and I dont get NFL Network), I, and most other people are not going to be able to see these games.

OU-HSV
4/23/2007, 12:19 PM
I get the NFL Network through COX where I live. But what I don't understand is why they've been showing the college spring games and why (from the sound of it) they'll be broadcasting some big12 games this fall. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've been watching the college football stuff they've shown lately..but shouldn't they stick to NFL coverage for their name's sake?
Maybe they should branch out w/another channel called "NCAA Football network" (just a thought)

GrapevineSooner
4/23/2007, 12:20 PM
Gary Bettman must be negotiating this TV deal on behalf of Weiberg.

Big Red Ron
4/23/2007, 12:25 PM
maybe so, but the fact is that hardly anyone actually receives the NFL Network right now. Until they start packaging it in with regular cable packages, or even digital cable packages (I have Comcast digital cable with all the small sports channels like Sky Sports and Fox Soccer Channel, etccc and I dont get NFL Network), I, and most other people are not going to be able to see these games.That sucks, I just have regular old basic direct TV and get NFL network. It'll be everywhere in months. I've had NFL network form almost two years and they have recently been really ratcheting things up.

Tear Down This Wall
4/23/2007, 12:56 PM
Hear me now, believe me later...

Someday, it will all be pay-per-view or subscription. The greedy bastards that run the conferences and networks won't be able to stand not controlling 101% of the whole ball of wax.

sooner518
4/23/2007, 12:57 PM
That sucks, I just have regular old basic direct TV and get NFL network. It'll be everywhere in months. I've had NFL network form almost two years and they have recently been really ratcheting things up.
hopefully the NFL network can gain some footing with Comcast then. I'd like to have it. Directv isnt really an option for me as I live in an apartment close to downtown Denver.

Anyone know how much it would cost to just add on NFL Network to a Comcast digital cable package although I already pay way too much for my cable that I really rarely watch.

OSUAggie
4/23/2007, 01:00 PM

Someday, it will all be pay-per-view or subscription. The greedy bastards that run the conferences and networks won't be able to stand not controlling 101% of the whole ball of wax.

Well, the Big Ten is supposed to have its own network this coming season. The SEC is talking about doing the same when their contracts run out in 2009.

SoonerLB
4/23/2007, 01:03 PM
I agree on the NFL ratcheting things up statement above. They have made it public for a while now that they are on the move to expand, etc.
Fine with me if they give us a fair shake. I'm pretty tired of ESPN and their slanted take on college football, which seems to include a general dislike of the Big 12. Of course, I'm always for anything that gets more college games available, my fall addiction must be fed!

Tear Down This Wall
4/23/2007, 01:11 PM
Everything has to be killed. Everything. No stone can be left unturned. And, really, it started with us, Georgia, and Notre Dame back in the 80s.

Well, the pendulum has swung. I just don't care anymore. I've got a season ticket package. I've got a very basic $12 cable package that gives me maybe 40 channels, most of which I don't watch.

I've got no ESPN, FOX Sports, no cable news...nothing. And, it hasn't bothered me. It's just my small way of saying, 'Screw you all.' These fights over which station is going to be on which service is nothing but ball hair to me.

What the dickwheels need to do is just let you choose which channels you want and which ones you don't. You know, have a deal where you can choose your own 20-30 channels and get on with it. All you're doing in buying a package is floating crappy stations that shouldn't survive anyway.

The_Red_Patriot
4/23/2007, 01:13 PM
Just another example of a S**T commissioner we have in Kevin Weiberg.

IronHorseSooner
4/23/2007, 01:28 PM
Just another example of a S**T commissioner we have in Kevin Weiberg.

Here, here!!!

JohnnyMack
4/23/2007, 02:00 PM

I get some of its broadcasts in HD from Cox.

trey
4/23/2007, 02:03 PM
i just hate it when they want to televise more games, especially in HD. :rolleyes:

soonersweetie
4/23/2007, 02:15 PM

Unfortunately, you are probably right.

My thought process and rationalization for purchasing the extra sports packages is that over the long run, it is cheaper to do that than sit a sports bar for 8-10 hours a day on a weekend. (Notice I said cheaper, not necessarily more fun ;)

RFH Shakes
4/23/2007, 02:56 PM

I watched a few pro games last year (thursday nights I think) on NFL network and they were in HD. Last year during the season I think cox had an nfl network hd channel. I think it says COXHD now. Must be a seasonal thing.

Sabla
4/23/2007, 07:07 PM
It(NFL Network) is not in HD on Directv yet.

AlbqSooner
4/23/2007, 07:43 PM
I get Comcast here in Albq - see Sooner 518 above. I would go to DirectTV but then I have the problem getting broadband on my computer. Other than that, I like living here.

bluedogok
4/23/2007, 07:47 PM
It(NFL Network) is not in HD on Directv yet.
It is suppose to be on full time before the season starts. It has to do with the bandwidth being added with the new sat being launched in June. The games were in HD last year on channel 95. The regular broadcasts were still in SD on 212.

I have DirecTV and Time Warner (through Earthlink) for my cable modem. It can be done although it may cost $10 more a month, to me it is worth it for Sunday Ticket and most of its games in HD.....CBS needs to catch up.

Ash
4/23/2007, 08:12 PM
I get the NFL Network through COX where I live. But what I don't understand is why they've been showing the college spring games and why (from the sound of it) they'll be broadcasting some big12 games this fall. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've been watching the college football stuff they've shown lately..but shouldn't they stick to NFL coverage for their name's sake?
Maybe they should branch out w/another channel called "NCAA Football network" (just a thought)

Dont' worry, that's probably in the works...and it'll cost you to see it.

TripleOption14
4/23/2007, 08:43 PM
Sorry boys but as long as they put the game on TV is all that I care about. I'm one of the lucky few who gets the NFL network and it has become one of my favorite channels!!! Especially now with all the draft stuff that they do. Being a football guy through and through it maybe the greatest channel every made! Football 24/7.

And one more thing. Not to sound like a salesman or anything but Directv is friggin SWEETTTT. If your a big football person like I am Directv is WELL worth the investment. That NFL ticket 6-screen is something to behold if you have a big screen TV. If you get a chance to switch you should SERIOUSLY think about it.

soonerboomer93
4/23/2007, 08:55 PM

uh, yes it does

soonerboomer93
4/23/2007, 08:58 PM
actually, the NFL Network is pushing really hard to be part of basic cable packages, ala ESPN

goingoneight
4/23/2007, 09:17 PM
We could put the North on Comedy Central... no?

goingoneight
4/23/2007, 09:21 PM
Sorry boys but as long as they put the game on TV is all that I care about. I'm one of the lucky few who gets the NFL network and it has become one of my favorite channels!!! Especially now with all the draft stuff that they do. Being a football guy through and through it maybe the greatest channel every made! Football 24/7.

And one more thing. Not to sound like a salesman or anything but Directv is friggin SWEETTTT. If your a big football person like I am Directv is WELL worth the investment. That NFL ticket 6-screen is something to behold if you have a big screen TV. If you get a chance to switch you should SERIOUSLY think about it.

Damn, salesman... :D Now all we need is the 100-word-per-minute disclaimer that tells you all the loopholes and hidden fees. :D

I got Digital Cable, it does the trick, I saw ever OU game over the course of the last 50 or 60 that I haven't attended through Cox. I used to have DTV until birds, trees, flies and rainstorms farked it up. I hear the reception is better now, though. :)

goingoneight
4/23/2007, 09:29 PM
What the dickwheels need to do is just let you choose which channels you want and which ones you don't. You know, have a deal where you can choose your own 20-30 channels and get on with it. All you're doing in buying a package is floating crappy stations that shouldn't survive anyway.

Yeah, that is what I've always said... but then what happens when nobody chooses FOX?

:les: INSIDE COWBOY FOOTBALL!!! with Mike Gundy

Or See BS (CBS)???

:les: SEC IS THE GREATEST CONFERENCE IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME!!! NFL INCLUDED!!!

I know those are air channels, but there is a market out there for BS channels like Home Shop Network that not even a bed-ridden retiree would choose. They throw all the extras in there, and eventually, channels like HSN make a profit they would have otherwise never had. Mostly cuz someone is bored and it's the only clear picture they can get... that kinda stuff.

PrideTrombone
4/23/2007, 09:56 PM
Jesus, can we please fire Kevin Weiberg already? Dude is the worst major conference commissioner in the country.

insuranceman_22
4/23/2007, 10:34 PM
This is brutal! Lots of work needs to be done! Maybe they should've tried HBO!

Soonerus
4/23/2007, 10:41 PM
why...berg....why...

goingoneight
4/24/2007, 12:00 AM
Jesus, can we please fire Kevin Weiberg already? Dude is the worst major conference commissioner in the country.

I don't really know about that... the PAC 10 just promoted Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder in their officiating crew...

Texas Golfer
4/25/2007, 10:10 AM

I get the NFL Network now only because I switched from Time Warner Cable to DirecTV. Most, if not all, cable companies don't carry NFL Network and most viewers subscribed to a cable company.

Until the cable companies and the NFL Network can work out some sort of deal, most of the country won't be able to watch Big XII games which will hurt OU and our conference.

goingoneight
4/25/2007, 10:13 PM
I'm a firm believer that while the NFL teams are clearly better, as it is the highest level of football to be played... the most popular sport is college football.

I predict a designated college football network within three years (a real CFB network, not CSTV or ESPNU). And before anyone scoffs at my prediction... look at all the channels that already exist, despite how boring they are to the average Joe. Golf Channel, woot! Home Shopping Network, wow! Game Show Network, alright!!! All those viewerless preacher channels, OMG!!! :eek:

OUTromBoNado
4/26/2007, 12:06 AM
I liked the saturday night games on TBS but oh well, how about the WB??

Agreed. Saturday night games are the absolute best! The game just looks better at night. You get the tension building up the whole day...not to mention the population of drunkytown before the game even starts.

I personally loved the games on TBS. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they all national coverage, not regional?

Either way, the NFL Network would suck hardcore. Hell, most of New York City doesn't even get the NFL Network. Don't you guys remember all the crap that flew around because whatever bowl Rutgers was in was being televised on the NFL Network...and the NFL Network wasn't even available wherever Rutgers is?

Shneeg11
4/26/2007, 07:25 AM
Agreed. Saturday night games are the absolute best! The game just looks better at night. You get the tension building up the whole day...not to mention the population of drunkytown before the game even starts.

I personally loved the games on TBS. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they all national coverage, not regional?

Either way, the NFL Network would suck hardcore. Hell, most of New York City doesn't even get the NFL Network. Don't you guys remember all the crap that flew around because whatever bowl Rutgers was in was being televised on the NFL Network...and the NFL Network wasn't even available wherever Rutgers is?

I could be wrong, but I think the cable company subscribed to the NFL Network before the bowl game was played, so they will be able to watch big 12 games

Big Red Ron
4/26/2007, 08:59 AM

Either way, the NFL Network would suck hardcore. Hell, most of New York City doesn't even get the NFL Network. Don't you guys remember all the crap that flew around because whatever bowl Rutgers was in was being televised on the NFL Network...and the NFL Network wasn't even available wherever Rutgers is?Yeah, and now it will make the cable companies pay even more to put the NFL network on TV.