PDA

View Full Version : Blue Angels lose a jet and a pilot.

Sooner in Tampa
4/21/2007, 06:28 PM
:(
BEAUFORT, S.C. — A Navy F-18 Blue Angel (javascript:siteSearch('F-18 Blue Angel');) plane crashed during an air show Saturday, according to televised reports. The county coroner's office said one person was killed, but it was not immediately clear who died.
Witnesses said the planes were flying in formation during the show at a Marine air base, and then one dropped down below the trees and apparently crashed. "The next thing I seen was just a big black cloud of smoke," Gerald Poop, who lives nearby, told a cable news outlet.
At the Blue Angels command headquarters at Pensacola Naval Air Station (javascript:siteSearch('Pensacola Naval Air Station');) the petty officer duty said he "had no comment at this time." A woman who answered the phone at the county coroner's office said one person died in the crash. She refused to give her name or other details.
More than 100,000 were expected to attend the air show, and the Blue Angels were the main attraction. The elite aerial-demonstration team, which is based at Pensacola, recently celebrated it's 60th anniversary.
Beaufort is about 35 miles northwest of Hilton Head.

olevetonahill
4/21/2007, 06:33 PM
well, **** , ****, **** .:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Prayers for the family , The Entire Team , and all the Ground crew .

Tailwind
4/21/2007, 06:52 PM
Ditto. :(

SoonerInFla
4/21/2007, 06:54 PM
That's terrible. Here's a link with alot of coverage and photos.
Lt. Cmdr. Kevin Davis of Pittsfield, Mass was the pilot that lost his life. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

sooneron
4/21/2007, 07:08 PM
sad to hear

Newbomb Turk
4/21/2007, 07:57 PM
that stinks. Watched those guys a few years ago in OKC, and they were awesome.

Jimminy Crimson
4/21/2007, 08:45 PM
Sad news. Never want to see that...

On a sidenote, (and not to threadjack, but) why are eyewitnesses always such hicks?

GottaHavePride
4/22/2007, 01:03 AM
On a sidenote, (and not to threadjack, but) why are eyewitnesses always such hicks?

Editing. A tv news editor's job is to make absolutely everyone interviewed sound like a tard. It's their specialty.

Oh, and that sucks. Although to be honest, as tight formations as those guys fly, I'm shocked accidents are as rare as they are. Those pilots have my total respect.

olevetonahill
4/22/2007, 01:10 AM
Editing. A tv news editor's job is to make absolutely everyone interviewed sound like a tard. It's their specialty.

Oh, and that sucks. Although to be honest, as tight formations as those guys fly, I'm shocked accidents are as rare as they are. Those pilots have my total respect.
GHP those guys practice more than any CCW permit holder . They are Dayum good . I dont think this was because of the flying . what little Ive heard it must hav been a Mechanical malfucntion .
we will see .
Why I said Prayers for the Ground crew .

StoopTroup
4/22/2007, 01:57 AM
Gerald Poop...

I'd get that name changed.

Penguin
4/22/2007, 02:06 AM
Sad story.

Great name, however. You can call me Mr. Poop, Professional Hick Eyewitness. "The next thing I seen was just a big black cloud of smoke. And that's about when them aliens done showed up."

VMG
4/22/2007, 08:31 AM
From the video, looks like the show was all but over and '6' went down making the rejoin for the re-entry break. There are many posssible causes that I won't speculate about, but the bottom line is another family grieves today...

Okla-homey
4/22/2007, 08:50 AM
Sad news. Never want to see that...

Not to make light of the tragedy in any way, but the Hornet crashed into a trailer park in Beaufort, SC. That's a pretty "hick-centric" accident site by definition. The good news for those folks on the ground is they'll get all new stuff. When the military loses a jet and it destroys private property, those people are "made whole" (and then some.)

Prayers for the family of the downed brown-shoe.

Sooner in Tampa
4/22/2007, 08:52 AM
Super Sad...we just saw the Angels a couple of weeks ago here at the MacDill Airfest.

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/4069/dscf2767pe5.jpg

Prayers to all.

Sooner in Tampa
4/22/2007, 08:54 AM
Not to make light of the tragedy in any way, but the Hornet crashed into a trailer park in Beaufort, SC. That's a pretty "hick-centric" accident site by definition. The good news for those folks on the ground is they'll get all new stuff. When the military loses a jet and it destroys private property, those people are "made whole" (and then some.)

Prayers for the family of the downed brown-shoe.
We were stationed in Beaufort for 5 years and we still back from time to time. Trailers parks are pretty common...and I can assure they have a very ecclectic mix in these trailers...very ecclectic.

Ruuuuuufus
4/22/2007, 04:26 PM
That's the same pilot that Stoops rode with last year.

http://tinyurl.com/yokgzt

Okla-homey
4/22/2007, 06:43 PM
Good thing none of us are superstitious

picasso
4/22/2007, 10:15 PM

http://tinyurl.com/yokgzt
whoa. just saw that.

GottaHavePride
4/22/2007, 11:24 PM
GHP those guys practice more than any CCW permit holder . They are Dayum good . I dont think this was because of the flying . what little Ive heard it must hav been a Mechanical malfucntion .
we will see .
Why I said Prayers for the Ground crew .

Oh, I know. I was just commenting on the incredible skill of those pilots.

Sooner in Tampa
4/23/2007, 05:46 AM

http://tinyurl.com/yokgztHe is the "media" pilot. He is the one who takes up all the special high profile passengers.

Sad as hell.