PDA

View Full Version : Watermelon

Beef
4/21/2007, 11:01 AM
I hated watermelon growing up but have begun to enjoy it recently. How do you tell when a 'melon is ready to be cut up? By smell?

SoonerStormchaser
4/21/2007, 11:05 AM
Yummy! I loves me some melons!

royalfan5
4/21/2007, 11:40 AM
Watermelon is the most overrated melon.

MamaMia
4/21/2007, 11:56 AM
This time of year I'll only buy them if they're already cut. That way I can examine the flesh and seeds to make sure its good.

Jimminy Crimson
4/21/2007, 12:06 PM
Watermelon is the most overrated vegetable.

:texan:

Preservation Parcels
4/21/2007, 02:28 PM
According to the National Watermelon Board (who knew there was such a thing?)

"1. Look the watermelon over.
You are looking for a firm, symmetrical watermelon that is free from bruises, cuts or dents.

2. Lift it up.
The watermelon should be heavy for it's size. Watermelon is 92% water, most of the weight is water.

3. Turn it over.
The underside of the watermelon should have a creamy yellow spot from where it sat on the ground and ripened in the sun."

In addition, look for a dried out stem. A missing stem may indicate that it was picked too late, and a green stem indicates it's probably under ripe.

Like honeydew, there isn't really any "ripe" smell to a watermelon. For honeydew melons, press the end opposite the stem. If it yields to gentle pressure, it's ripe.

For canteloupe, look for even veining over yellowish, not green skin. The stem end of a ready canteloupe smells sweet and ripe.

Like Mom said, though, this isn't the peak time of year for melons. It's usually at least Memorial Day before the first good American ones start to show up.

85Sooner
4/21/2007, 02:31 PM
when its full of vodka

ChickSoonerFan
4/21/2007, 02:39 PM
According to the National Watermelon Board (who knew there was such a thing?)

"1. Look the watermelon over.
You are looking for a firm, symmetrical watermelon that is free from bruises, cuts or dents.

2. Lift it up.
The watermelon should be heavy for it's size. Watermelon is 92% water, most of the weight is water.

3. Turn it over.
The underside of the watermelon should have a creamy yellow spot from where it sat on the ground and ripened in the sun."

In addition, look for a dried out stem. A missing stem may indicate that it was picked too late, and a green stem indicates it's probably under ripe.

Like honeydew, there isn't really any "ripe" smell to a watermelon. For honeydew melons, press the end opposite the stem. If it yields to gentle pressure, it's ripe.

For canteloupe, look for even veining over yellowish, not green skin. The stem end of a ready canteloupe smells sweet and ripe.

Like Mom said, though, this isn't the peak time of year for melons. It's usually at least Memorial Day before the first good American ones start to show up.

Good info!

And I always feel silly sniffing the cantelopes in the stores, but I do it anyways.

Jimminy Crimson
4/21/2007, 08:42 PM
And I always feel silly sniffing the cantelopes in the stores, but I do it anyways.

:hot:

StoopTroup
4/22/2007, 02:10 AM
I'm just glad it's our State Veggie now.

I guess we know what the Seed Sower is tossing now....

SicEmBaylor
4/22/2007, 02:12 AM
I hated watermelon growing up...
Why do you hate black people?

soonerscuba
4/22/2007, 02:52 AM
I have an instinct for the thump, you can't teach f'n hillbilly.

Boomerbrad
4/22/2007, 11:18 AM
Turn it over.
The underside of the watermelon should have a creamy yellow spot from where it sat on the ground and ripened in the sun.

Ms. Boomerbrad says the yellow spot should be dull, not shiny. Something to the effect that shiny indicates it was picked to early.