PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming P.S.

mdklatt
4/20/2007, 11:39 PM
I didn't get a chance to post this in the other thread before Goldilocker got her hands on it.

Here's another nail in the blame-the-sun explanation for global warming. Analyses of daily min and max temperatures have shown that nighttime low temperatures are increasing while daytime high temperatures aren't changing much at all. If you're wondering how the sun can possibly have an effect on nighttime temperatures but not daytime temperatures, give yourself a cookie. On the other hand, that pattern is consistent with an increased greenhouse effect. Imagine that.

colleyvillesooner
4/20/2007, 11:43 PM
You're so going down.

Sooner24
4/20/2007, 11:48 PM
Ever notice how concrete holds heat and is still warm even after the sun goes down? Right now are just about half-way through paving the whole world.

mdklatt
4/20/2007, 11:53 PM
Ever notice how concrete holds heat and is still warm even after the sun goes down? Right now are just about half-way through paving the whole world.

Ever notice how concrete heats up more during the day, too?

colleyvillesooner
4/20/2007, 11:54 PM
Ever notice you guys are nerds?

I did. :D

Widescreen
4/20/2007, 11:55 PM
You know how I know they're gay?

Oh, and Global Warming... BRING IT!

Ardmore_Sooner
4/20/2007, 11:57 PM
Ever notice you guys are nerds?

I did. :D

This coming from a Mavs fan ;)

Ardmore_Sooner
4/21/2007, 12:00 AM
I think people are nuts to believe 100% in all the global warming wackos. Sure things are changing and we may be having a slight affect on it, but all in all to think the world will be unliveable in the next 50 years is assinine.

And P.S. mdklatt, please quit beating this dead horse.

Sooner24
4/21/2007, 12:00 AM
Ever notice how concrete heats up more during the day, too?

It's just holding the heat not making it.

Sooner24
4/21/2007, 12:02 AM
http://www.bjacked.net/LuvToHunt/forums/phpBB2/modules/gallery/albums/album01/Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

mdklatt
4/21/2007, 12:05 AM
It's just holding the heat not making it.

If concrete is effecting nighttime temperatures it would also effect the daytime temperatures.

Ardmore_Sooner
4/21/2007, 12:08 AM
How do you figure? By the time the concrete cools off it will be daytime again absorbing more heat. Retaining the heat and releasing it during the night time.

mdklatt
4/21/2007, 12:09 AM
to think the world will be unliveable in the next 50 years is assinine

Well then it's a good thing nobody says that.

I'm sorry. I'll quit making you read these threads from now on. Did you ever notice that this is the only global warming thread I've started? And the only reason I started this one was because the other one got locked.

Ardmore_Sooner
4/21/2007, 12:11 AM
Well then it's a good thing nobody says that.

Well first, you and all the other global warming nut jobs like to get on their knees to Al Gore, who in turn says that temperatures are going to insane in the next 40 years. Maybe not unliveable, but after going and listening to him he gives you the vibe that it will be Hell on Earth.

Ardmore_Sooner
4/21/2007, 12:12 AM
I'm sorry. I'll quit making you read these threads from now on. Did you ever notice that this is the only global warming thread I've started? And the only reason I started this one was because the other one got locked.

It's cool, just waiting for someone to lock another thread you post in.

Sooner24
4/21/2007, 12:14 AM
THIS WEEK (8-14 APR): Last year was record warm, this year record cold! April is currently tracking as the coldest April in 113 years - a dramatic change from last years #1 warmest ever. Even after some late month moderation, April 2007 will likely keep the month in the top 7 coldest in history. The Southwest is the one exception, but even here temperatures will cool dramatically late in the week. And, the snow is not over! Short range computer models hint at the possibility of a stronger snow storm from Colorado to Wisconsin late in the week into the weekend. This will be the heavy wet variety. The week overall is expected to show the greatest change toward wetter weather in two years - another very big negative for retail sales and for early planting of this years Corn and Bean crop. Weather Trends had forecast this to be the coldest April in 7 years and the wettest in 3 years. It will very likely be the coldest in 10 years and wettest in three. On a more uplifting note, Al Peterlin, Weather Trends International VP, reminds growers, “Planting rates can accelerate quickly after a slow start. Consider 1998 and 2005. In 1998 only about 15 percent of the crop was in the ground by the end of April, in 2005 only about 30 percent. Still, by the last week of May, 93 to 95 percent of planting was complete and final yields were strong.”

NEXT WEEK (15-21 APR): More of the same, although not as wet. Another reinforcing shot of cold air for the East early in the week with more frost and freezes likely in the Middle Atlantic.

http://www.agweb.com/get_article.aspx?pageid=135336&src=gennews

mdklatt
4/21/2007, 12:17 AM
How do you figure? By the time the concrete cools off it will be daytime again absorbing more heat. Retaining the heat and releasing it during the night time.

Concrete gets hotter during the day. If just concrete was influencing temperature records, it would effect the daytime temperatures as well as nighttime temperatures.

Anyway, here's a discussion of why urban heat island effect (which is more than just concrete) has been ruled out as a possible explanation:
link (http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2004/12/the-surface-temperature-record-and-the-urban-heat-island/)

mdklatt
4/21/2007, 12:20 AM
THIS WEEK (8-14 APR): Last year was record warm, this year record cold! April is currently tracking as the coldest April in 113 years - a dramatic change from last years #1 warmest ever.

I suppose you think this proves something?

Ardmore_Sooner
4/21/2007, 12:21 AM
First of all, I never said concrete was influencing the temperature. I was just saying that concrete heats up during the day and releases heat after the sun goes down.

Ardmore_Sooner
4/21/2007, 12:22 AM

And you think global warming is completely real?

mdklatt
4/21/2007, 12:23 AM
I was just saying that concrete heats up during the day and releases heat after the sun goes down.

Did I imply otherwise? :confused:

Ardmore_Sooner
4/21/2007, 12:24 AM
Concrete gets hotter during the day. If just concrete was influencing temperature records, it would effect the daytime temperatures as well as nighttime temperatures.

Anyway, here's a discussion of why urban heat island effect (which is more than just concrete) has been ruled out as a possible explanation:
link (http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2004/12/the-surface-temperature-record-and-the-urban-heat-island/)

Yeah this whole post implies it.

mdklatt
4/21/2007, 12:29 AM
Yeah this whole post implies it.

I'm not following....

Ardmore_Sooner
4/21/2007, 12:31 AM
I'm not following....

Haha nevermind. Just showing me links about something that I never even mentioned thinking would be a cause in a raise in global temperature might be implying thats how I think.

Widescreen
4/21/2007, 12:50 AM
Well first, you and all the other global warming nut jobs
I disagree with mdk on the level of human involvement in climate change (mainly due to my awesome weather knowing skillz) but the name calling ain't cool.

Ardmore_Sooner
4/21/2007, 12:53 AM
I disagree with mdk on the level of human involvement in climate change (mainly due to my awesome weather knowing skillz) but the name calling ain't cool.

Compared to a lot of other people around here, thats tame.

OUTromBoNado
4/21/2007, 04:22 AM
Why do you hate climate change?

Howzit
4/21/2007, 06:47 AM
I didn't get a chance to post this in the other thread before Goldilocker got her hands on it.

Here's another nail in the blame-the-sun explanation for global warming. Analyses of daily min and max temperatures have shown that nighttime low temperatures are increasing while daytime high temperatures aren't changing much at all. If you're wondering how the sun can possibly have an effect on nighttime temperatures but not daytime temperatures, give yourself a cookie. On the other hand, that pattern is consistent with an increased greenhouse effect. Imagine that.

So, what you're saying is that if I have not wondered how the sun can possibly have an effect on nighttime temperatures but not daytime temperatures, I can not give myself a cookie?

KABOOKIE
4/21/2007, 08:39 AM
I'm not following....

Hot is relative to temperature. Two different things.

jk the sooner fan
4/21/2007, 08:49 AM

i suppose you think it proves nothing

you're locked in on one thought pattern and one thought pattern only.....and your'e going to go down with that ship come hell or high water

i think its funny

jk the sooner fan
4/21/2007, 08:52 AM
and i have a feeling more people might listen to mdklatt if it werent for the condescending "im so much smarter than the rest of you idiots" tone you take in your lectures....

TopDawg
4/21/2007, 09:15 AM
and i have a feeling more people might listen to mdklatt if it werent for the condescending "im so much smarter than the rest of you idiots" tone you take in your lectures....

It seems like he and Fraggle are saying a lot of the same things. Are people listening to Fraggle?

Nope. Why? Probably because they are "locked in on one thought pattern and one thought pattern only.....and [they're] going to go down with that ship come hell or high water."

jk the sooner fan
4/21/2007, 09:18 AM
It seems like he and Fraggle are saying a lot of the same things. Are people listening to Fraggle?

Nope. Why? Probably because they are "locked in on one thought pattern and one thought pattern only.....and [they're] going to go down with that ship come hell or high water."

no, thats where you're wrong......i agree there is global warming......but i'm able to listen to those that think its something other than humans causing it

TopDawg
4/21/2007, 09:23 AM
but i'm able to listen to those that think its something other than humans causing it

But do you agree with them? I mean, mdklatt listens to those who think it's something other than humans causing it, but he doesn't agree with them.

Okla-homey
4/21/2007, 09:31 AM
I'm no scientist and I concede there are people on here smarter than me. I don't care if even T. Boone Pickens is also contibuting to it, it's real and if there is a significant chance our emissions are making it worse, as the scientific community generally believes, we oughtta at least try to ratchet back on our spewage.

That, and the fact there are serious national security implications of America's addiction to the OPEC controlled crackpipe.

That's why this should be a no-brainer. Even Earl Pitts should "get it": Wake up America...Gas hogs hurt us all.

TopDawg
4/21/2007, 10:03 AM
The crazy thing about global warming right now is that there is no way to know if one side is right and the other side is wrong. But I don't think the two sides are mutually exclusive and that's the frustrating part for me.

It seems like most of the arguments that I hear are limiting the debate to two sides. We're either causing it or we're not. But I think there's more to it. I look at the evidence that there is warming on other planets and think "okay, maybe there is something to that. Maybe the solar system is just getting warmer." But then I look at the evidence that CO2 is a greenhouse gas and greenhouse gasses make earth warmer and I think "we should do something about our CO2 output."

Sure, maybe Mars is getting warmer just like earth, so the increase in CO2 isn't the only culprit here. But it certainly seems scientifically verifiable that our increased output of CO2 isn't helping things. So while we may not be able to do anything to keep the sun from continuing to increase our global temperatures, if we can slow down the rate at which it does so, why don't we try?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/21/2007, 10:31 AM
Sure, maybe Mars is getting warmer just like earth, so the increase in CO2 isn't the only culprit here. But it certainly seems scientifically verifiable that our increased output of CO2 isn't helping things. So while we may not be able to do anything to keep the sun from continuing to increase our global temperatures, if we can slow down the rate at which it does so, why don't we try?It's about Big Brother, the Nannystate, and ever increasing govt. restrictions, laws and punitive taxes. The left is not talking voluntarism.

Howzit
4/21/2007, 10:40 AM
'Cause I can have all the cookies I want.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/21/2007, 10:48 AM
'Cause I can have all the cookies I want.You must control your own diet.

royalfan5
4/21/2007, 10:55 AM
I'm no scientist and I concede there are people on here smarter than me. I don't care if even T. Boone Pickens is also contibuting to it, it's real and if there is a significant chance our emissions are making it worse, as the scientific community generally believes, we oughtta at least try to ratchet back on our spewage.

That, and the fact there are serious national security implications of America's addiction to the OPEC controlled crackpipe.

That's why this should be a no-brainer. Even Earl Pitts should "get it": Wake up America...Gas hogs hurt us all.
One of the things that always cracks me up about OPEC is that they essentially took the whole structure of OPEC lock, stock, and barrel from the Texas Railway Commission.

Howzit
4/21/2007, 10:57 AM
You must control your own diet.

I do control it.

Think I'll have another cookie.

Fraggle145
4/21/2007, 11:00 AM
All I try to do is give the facts and present everyone with the data to make up their own mind. Sorry if I come across as overbearing sometimes. Basically I dont want it to be a political issue but it is. To me all of the evidence is there. You may think i am locked into one thought pattern, but I am not. Many of you could be said to be locked into an anti-GW thought pattern. And as I have said before we could do this without having to make big brother come around, it is mostly going to fall on the gov forcing big business to give us better alternate products instead of them forcing us to buy what they are willing to sell, JMHO.

I am not a nutjob and I dont suck on Al Gore's nuts k plz thx.

Howzit
4/21/2007, 11:08 AM
All I try to do is give the facts and present everyone with the data to make up their own mind. Sorry if I come across as overbearing sometimes. Basically I dont want it to be a political issue but it is. To me all of the evidence is there. You may think i am locked into one thought pattern, but I am not. Many of you could be said to be locked into an anti-GW thought pattern. And as I have said before we could do this without having to make big brother come around, it is mostly going to fall on the gov forcing big business to give us better alternate products instead of them forcing us to buy what they are willing to sell, JMHO.

I am not a nutjob and I dont suck on Al Gore's nuts k plz thx.

You can have a cookie.

If you want one.

Don't let mdklatt tell you otherwise.

TopDawg
4/21/2007, 11:55 AM
It's about Big Brother, the Nannystate, and ever increasing govt. restrictions, laws and punitive taxes. The left is not talking voluntarism.

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

C'mon dude...come up with something REAL for once. If humans causing global warming was proven as an absolute fact, and the left supported doing something about it you'd still be absolutely against it.

Well...if Rush Limbaugh was.

usmc-sooner
4/21/2007, 12:19 PM
I think people are nuts to believe 100% in all the global warming wackos. Sure things are changing and we may be having a slight affect on it, but all in all to think the world will be unliveable in the next 50 years is assinine.

thank you.

usmc-sooner
4/21/2007, 12:28 PM

you're wrong I listen to Fraggle Fraggle Rocks :D

but mdk is an alarmist on damn near every topic available.

Ardmore_Sooner
4/21/2007, 12:41 PM
When all those who support global warming start using alternate resources EFFECTIVELY without this carbon credit crap, and things start to change then I will back it. Until then I find it hard to believe that all this is happening and all those who support it are flying leer jets and riding around in stretch limos.

Waiting for how TodDawg is doing his part in.....

jk the sooner fan
4/21/2007, 12:49 PM
wait.......topdawg is saying there ARE scientists out there who believe something contrary than what mdklatt is preaching? because to read what he writes, every scientist that believes anything opposite of what he says - are a bunch of wackjobs

look - i respect your opinions and your belief on the matter.....i wish you'd afford me the same respect rather than jump up and down like a 4 year old at the pool trying to get his mothers attention - telling me i'm stupid for not believing your side

Ardmore_Sooner
4/21/2007, 12:54 PM
We are all stupid man, you just now getting the memo? :D

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/21/2007, 01:25 PM
Goldilocker...

heh.