PDA

View Full Version : OU releases info about OU-Texas game

Jay C. Upchurch
4/20/2007, 04:44 PM
The City of Dallas, the State Fair of Texas, the University of Oklahoma
and University of Texas have entered into an agreement that will keep
the AT&T Red River Rivalry at the Cotton Bowl through 2015.

The game has been played in Dallas since 1929 and long since evolved
into one of college football's greatest rivalry games.

The move to keep the game at the same location pleased OU Athletics
Director Joe Castiglione.

"Because of its prominent history and unique atmosphere, the setting of
the Red River Rivalry truly represents one of the most special games in
all of college football," Castiglione said. "We are grateful for the
relationship we share with the State Fair and City of Dallas. They have
identified a number of ways to upgrade and expand the Cotton Bowl
Stadium and enhance the atmosphere of a venerable old stadium.

"The University of Oklahoma and the University of Texas have nearly 80
years invested in this great tradition. As we look forward to
continuing in Dallas, we are genuinely excited about all of the plans to
improve and expand the Cotton Bowl Stadium. Both universities can
involve many more fans in this special fall classic."

The previous agreement was set to run out after the 2010 game.
Improvements at the Cotton Bowl and commitments to future enhancements of the game cleared the way for a five-year extension.

To date, Cotton Bowl renovations have totaled $20 million. Dallas
residents voted in November to approve another $30 million in bonds for
additional improvements.

OU SID Report

Collier11
4/20/2007, 04:57 PM
Why cant they just move the entire state fair to Arlington so we can play in a stadium that doesnt look like the titanic

goingoneight
4/21/2007, 09:32 PM
Same reason we don't move it to home and home... it f*cks with generations of tradition. You can just feel the history in that place when you're there... even hours before the game, you can sit in your seat with but three people around you and talk for hours about past matchups, the upcoming game, or the teams in their respective futures. I personally don't care about making the Cotton Bowl into a state of the art toy for Texans to keep pumping their chest about. If it gets facility updates (restrooms) and maybe a few thousand more seats, I'm all for playing it there another 71 years. But that's just me... I don't know what I'm talking about... among games I've seen there... I've been to see the biggest OU victories and the most painful losses, and I've never once thought that changing the tradition would be good. When I'm shaking my keys, looking at a scoreboard that reads 65-13, screaming "GO-HOME-TEX-AS!!!" or getting cups and programs thrown at me by whorn fans when we're down... I still feel like this is, in fact... the most special rivalry event in all of football period. And don't tell me that some NFL rivalry does it better. NFL fans, players and coaches have no oyalty to any "team." The RRS is something that will continue to sell out, even if John Blake and Mike Gundy were to be hired as HC's and both teams were winless. :eek:

AlabamaSooner
4/21/2007, 09:50 PM
Same reason we don't move it to home and home... it f*cks with generations of tradition. You can just feel the history in that place when you're there... even hours before the game, you can sit in your seat with but three people around you and talk for hours about past matchups, the upcoming game, or the teams in their respective futures. I personally don't care about making the Cotton Bowl into a state of the art toy for Texans to keep pumping their chest about. If it gets facility updates (restrooms) and maybe a few thousand more seats, I'm all for playing it there another 71 years. But that's just me... I don't know what I'm talking about... among games I've seen there... I've been to see the biggest OU victories and the most painful losses, and I've never once thought that changing the tradition would be good. When I'm shaking my keys, looking at a scoreboard that reads 65-13, screaming "GO-HOME-TEX-AS!!!" or getting cups and programs thrown at me by whorn fans when we're down... I still feel like this is, in fact... the most special rivalry event in all of football period. And don't tell me that some NFL rivalry does it better. NFL fans, players and coaches have no oyalty to any "team." The RRS is something that will continue to sell out, even if John Blake and Mike Gundy were to be hired as HC's and both teams were winless. :eek:

Well said. My thoughts exactly.

Ardmore_Sooner
4/22/2007, 12:28 AM
A Fletcher's corny dog wouldn't taste the same in Arlington!

MamaMia
4/22/2007, 12:53 AM
I want the OU/texas game to stay right there in Dallas. I just hope that they continue to improve the place. If they made it home and home it wouldn't be much different than any other game. If the game gets moved to the Cowboys stadium in Arlington, Jerry's people, many of whom are horns, will get all the good seats and he'll have all his big wig Texas fans up in the clubs. It would be just awful.

utex74
4/22/2007, 09:53 PM
I want the OU/texas game to stay right there in Dallas. I just hope that they continue to improve the place. If they made it home and home it wouldn't be much different than any other game. If the game gets moved to the Cowboys stadium in Arlington, Jerry's people, many of whom are horns, will get all the good seats and he'll have all his big wig Texas fans up in the clubs. It would be just awful.

I am not aware of a UT connection with Jerry Jones. I think he would have the club suites filled with pigs from Arkansas. Either way, the Cotton Bowl is the way to go.

And a brief topic on hornfans shows that we do NOT want to sit in the tunnel side this year, regardless of what the people in power are going to do. Don't know why they care anyway. It's not like it affects them any.

Phil
4/23/2007, 09:55 AM
Word from my sources is that the people in power are not, in fact, going to have the Horns sitting in the wrong side of the stadium, contrary to all expectations.

soonerboy_odanorth
4/23/2007, 04:46 PM
Don't know if this has been posted before, but it includes an artist's rendering of the expanded Cotton Bowl on p. 23 of 34...

http://www.dallascityhall.com/council_briefings/briefings/120505_CottonBowl.pdf

JDawg2303
4/23/2007, 05:00 PM

Amen Brother! Preach on!! Plus if anyone has ever been to one, the night before is AWESOME!! You are practically trapped (the area is blocked off) in the Westend of Dallas screaming and arguing (and the occasional fight) between the Chosen Sooners and the Damned whorns. That alone makes the trip worth it. :D

soonerlaw
4/23/2007, 05:34 PM
What about the actual Cotton Bowl game (Jan. 1). People hate sitting in the cold in Dallas at 9:00 a.m. to watch it. I think it is inevitable that it will move to Arlington, and with the facilities, they will possibly try to make it a BCS game. My concern is how that will affect the October games. Is OU-SAXET played in the cotton bowl and the Cotton Bowl played in Arlington?

Oh well, Dallas had the opportunity to have the stadium in their city but turned it down so the Dallas Cowboys can play in Arlington, Tarrant County, Texas.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/23/2007, 05:52 PM
Don't know if this has been posted before, but it includes an artist's rendering of the expanded Cotton Bowl on p. 23 of 34...

http://www.dallascityhall.com/council_briefings/briefings/120505_CottonBowl.pdf

Not bad, thanks!

BoomerJack
4/24/2007, 12:20 PM
It appears that my worst fears about the RRW will not come to fruition. Not for a few more years, at least.

I noted on this board many times in the past that the OU & UT athletic directors would eventually have to move the game to home & home to generate revenue. And thought that it would happen sooner than later. But now it seems that won't be an issue for another 6 - 7 years. Hopefully, whatever the State Fair and City of Dallas does to upgrade the Cotton Bowl will convince the two programs to continue the game in that venue.

And kudos for the post above from "goingoneight". I agree 110%

arenateam
4/24/2007, 12:45 PM
sounds good.

Dio
4/24/2007, 01:44 PM
What about the actual Cotton Bowl game (Jan. 1). People hate sitting in the cold in Dallas at 9:00 a.m. to watch it. I think it is inevitable that it will move to Arlington, and with the facilities, they will possibly try to make it a BCS game. My concern is how that will affect the October games. Is OU-SAXET played in the cotton bowl and the Cotton Bowl played in Arlington?

Oh well, Dallas had the opportunity to have the stadium in their city but turned it down so the Dallas Cowboys can play in Arlington, Tarrant County, Texas.

In Miami, the CoCaines play in the orange bowl, but the Orange Bowl is played at the Dolphins Stadium.

Herr Scholz
4/24/2007, 01:58 PM
What about the actual Cotton Bowl game (Jan. 1)?
The Cotton Bowl game has already announced it will be moving to Jerryworld in a couple of years. Done deal. In fact, that freed up the city of Dallas to subsidize UT and OU more with the money they used to give the Cotton Bowl game participants. Worked out well for us.

And for the record, there's no connection between that piggy Jerry Jones and the Longhorn faithful. Jones hates the Longhorns so much, he'd rather draft Kavika Pittman over Tony Brackens.

soonerboy_odanorth
4/24/2007, 02:30 PM
And for the record, there's no connection between that piggy Jerry Jones and the Longhorn faithful.

Except, of course, the pig-like behavior and appearances.... :P

Herr Scholz
4/24/2007, 07:17 PM
Except, of course, the pig-like behavior and appearances.... :P
Behavior maybe. But let me remind you that Playboy magazine named UT as the school with the #1 hottest co-eds in the nation just a few years ago. ;)

goingoneight
4/24/2007, 07:42 PM
... and which alumni wrote that article???

utex74
4/24/2007, 07:44 PM
Word from my sources is that the people in power are not, in fact, going to have the Horns sitting in the wrong side of the stadium, contrary to all expectations.

I and 90% of all Longhorn fans (who attend the game) sure hope you are right. The game just wouldn't look right. We want to stay in the north end.

Herr Scholz
4/25/2007, 10:28 AM
... and which alumni wrote that article???
Are you insinuating we don't have super hot chicks down here?

tru2ou
4/25/2007, 12:53 PM
I've never been on a major college campus that didnt have super hot chicks.

It's all perception and who's writing the story...

In fact, here's a link to someone who thinks UF has the second worst looking women in the SEC...biased?

http://www.sportsline.com/spin/story/9920854

- tru

MiccoMacey
4/25/2007, 01:43 PM
Are you insinuating we don't have super hot chicks down here?

Since I'm counting you as one of the hotter ones, ...no. :D

Herr Scholz
4/25/2007, 03:26 PM
Since I'm counting you as one of the hotter ones, ...no. :D
Well, I am pretty easy on the eyes...

fwsooner22
4/25/2007, 03:32 PM
I've never been on a major college campus that didnt have super hot chicks.

It's all perception and who's writing the story...

In fact, here's a link to someone who thinks UF has the second worst looking women in the SEC...biased?

http://www.sportsline.com/spin/story/9920854

- tru

Ever walked the campus of TCU........there are a few but most are well from the north.........;) ;)