PDA

View Full Version : Capel's style! what do we need to win big?

Collier11
4/20/2007, 03:10 PM
Based off of what I have seen so far, we are going to play alot like A&M under gillispie IMO, really tough D and up tempo on O at times. So what do we need on this team to get back to winning big?
1) a stud pg(lucas) who may not necessarily be a big time shooter, but is good with the ball, can break double teams, and can score when needed
2) I think we need a 6'6'' to 6'8"" SG or SF to break down Defenses off the dribble and run the floor.

IMO, if we had those two type players to go along with some role players, we could win big time in this system. what do you guys think?

crawfish
4/20/2007, 03:13 PM
Lucas ain't coming to OU. That's pretty much decided.

Personally, I'd prefer a 7' guy with a strong inside game and a high 3-point percentage who desires to graduate before going to the NBA. But that's just me. :)

Collier11
4/20/2007, 03:29 PM
The only 7 footers that can score inside and drain the Three dont play Defense and go straight to the NBA

Frozen Sooner
4/20/2007, 04:54 PM
Lucas ain't coming to OU. That's pretty much decided.

Personally, I'd prefer a 7' guy with a strong inside game and a high 3-point percentage who desires to graduate before going to the NBA. But that's just me. :)

I want Teen Wolf.

sooner518
4/20/2007, 05:16 PM
Capel's style is not nearly denim enough

oumartin
4/20/2007, 05:19 PM
Just get to the dance and win!

Ash
4/20/2007, 06:07 PM
The VCU team that upset Duke this year was composed mainly of Capel's players, right? If that's any indication, we'll see aggressive D geared toward creating easy buckets and a balanced half-court offense.

We need a PG, period. But the kid from VCU was very quick and athletic and pushed the tempo of the game on offense and defense. I'm hoping that's the kind of gaurd Capel is recruiting right now.

IMO, we need a another post player. An athletic tough, low-block rebounder/defender.

A couple of fast, athletic wing/"big gaurds", in 6'6" range that can handle well, run the floor and shoot the ball.

OSUAggie
4/20/2007, 09:39 PM
The VCU team that upset Duke this year was composed mainly of Capel's players, right? If that's any indication, we'll see aggressive D geared toward creating easy buckets and a balanced half-court offense.

We need a PG, period. But the kid from VCU was very quick and athletic and pushed the tempo of the game on offense and defense. I'm hoping that's the kind of gaurd Capel is recruiting right now.

IMO, we need a another post player. An athletic tough, low-block rebounder/defender.

A couple of fast, athletic wing/"big gaurds", in 6'6" range that can handle well, run the floor and shoot the ball.

No, it's not an indication. That was a different coach. With a different style. Caple's VCU teams were consistently towards the bottom of the 300+ d-1 teams as far as possessions/game is concerned.

That's not to say that if he got the horses he would hold them back. But I think he has to prove that he's wiling to run at some point in his coaching career before he's labeled anywhere near "uptempo."

crawfish
4/21/2007, 10:01 AM
I want Teen Wolf.

Yeah, but I don't want Teen Wolf, Too.

LittleWingSooner
4/21/2007, 11:50 AM
We won't win with a point guard. We need guys who can score. Outside of Longar Longar I don't think we have a scorer.

Collier11
4/21/2007, 03:09 PM
We won't win with a point guard. We need guys who can score. Outside of Longar Longar missing layups,he is a decent scorer.

FIXED

LittleWingSooner
4/21/2007, 03:40 PM
That's probably fair. Unless we have a point guard that can score 20 a game(which we don't have) I doubt we are much better with a point guard. I fact if Neal makes the shots he made in 05-06, then we have a much better team.

starrca23
4/21/2007, 08:53 PM
I really don't think we have an understanding of Coach Capel's style yet.
Crawfish, why don't you just ask for Dirk Nowitski (sp?). :D

Newbomb Turk
4/21/2007, 08:53 PM
somebody is going to have to be able to shoot the ball from the outside next year. I don't know who that is going to be.

Ash
4/22/2007, 12:47 AM
No, it's not an indication. That was a different coach. With a different style. Caple's VCU teams were consistently towards the bottom of the 300+ d-1 teams as far as possessions/game is concerned.

That's not to say that if he got the horses he would hold them back. But I think he has to prove that he's wiling to run at some point in his coaching career before he's labeled anywhere near "uptempo."

He's already answered questions regarding this.

He has said that his goal is to assemble an athletic team that can pressure the ball and get out in transition for easy buckets.

And thanks for pointing out the obvious about VCU's coaching situation. But that team reflects much of what he was trying to build there. You're not always going to be able to recruit the kind of athletes you need to run "up-tempo" however you want to define it at a school like VCU (or even other schools). You have to adjust to the type of players you have.

OSUAggie
4/22/2007, 02:53 PM
And thanks for pointing out the obvious about VCU's coaching situation. But that team reflects much of what he was trying to build there. You're not always going to be able to recruit the kind of athletes you need to run "up-tempo" however you want to define it at a school like VCU (or even other schools). You have to adjust to the type of players you have.

Well... Most of those kids were there for his final season at VCU. And he still didn't run. New coach comes in, the kids run and press and force the issue. I don't know how much more clear it can be.

Ash
4/22/2007, 03:17 PM
Well... Most of those kids were there for his final season at VCU. And he still didn't run. New coach comes in, the kids run and press and force the issue. I don't know how much more clear it can be.

I wouldn't expect you to know much about the situation, but if you go back to what Capel himself said about the style of basketball he'd like to run here at OU and the situation as he saw it at VCU, it would be clear that you've read him and what kind of style he'd like to have at OU wrong.

LittleWingSooner
4/22/2007, 04:52 PM
Style of play hasn't been the problem at OU since late in the Tubbs era. It's been players really.

Style wasn't a problem last year but if we had an experienced coach it would have been a lot better off

SleestakSooner
4/22/2007, 05:09 PM

Are you seriously going to sit there and try to tell us you are now an expert on VCU basketball as well? I would be very suprised if you have ever watched them play. The only reason I have ever seen them play was that I lived in Richmond and the Sooners visited once.

It's ok to not know everything... stop trying so hard to seem smart cuz it just makes you look like a smart ***.:stunned:

Petro-Sooner
4/23/2007, 12:52 PM
One more year of Cano will solve the problem.

rankin07
4/26/2007, 10:17 AM
Capel's gonna be a bigtime recruiter and with the athletes that he will get and has already gotten I think that the offense will flourish. He will get athletes that OU has not seen in years and the athletes that North Carolina, Duke, and Kansas get. Oklahoma will be back soon! Watch out!