PDA

View Full Version : Firing up the ol grill this weekend

Petro-Sooner
4/20/2007, 10:43 AM
for the first time this season. Was thinking about puting some corn on the cob on but I've never made it this way. Do I just put it on and turn it ever so often til tender? This way sounds about right but everyones recomendations are welcome. I'm sure you would have to be pretty stupid to screw up corn. :D

Okla-homey
4/20/2007, 10:56 AM
for the first time this season. Was thinking about puting some corn on the cob on but I've never made it this way. Do I just put it on and turn it ever so often til tender? This way sounds about right but everyones recomendations are welcome. I'm sure you would have to be pretty stupid to screw up corn. :D

The amibiguously ghey guy on Good Eats grilled some leeks last night. He sliced them lengthwise, brushed them with oil, seasoned with kosher salt and grilled them briefly just until grill marks appeared. Then he placed them all in a big foil pouch, drizzled with balsamic vinegar and let them steam that way inside the foil until tender. If I knew where to buy leeks, I'd try it.:D

leeks, the underappreciated onionesque vegetable

CUinNC
4/20/2007, 10:56 AM
De-Silk 'em
roll the husk back up & leave on
soak 'em in salt water for a few hours
throw 'em on the grill w/husk

can't lose & damm good:pop:

TopDaugIn2000
4/20/2007, 11:27 AM
De-Silk 'em
roll the husk back up & leave on
soak 'em in salt water for a few hours
throw 'em on the grill w/husk

can't lose & damm good:pop:

agree. cept I soak em for about 30-45 minutes, it's long enough.

Petro-Sooner
4/20/2007, 11:36 AM
I've never heard of the salk water soak. I take it this is for flava?

TopDaugIn2000
4/20/2007, 11:38 AM
actually I don't put salt in the water.

the reason for the soak is so the husk won't get all burned and stuff.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/20/2007, 11:40 AM
Clean 'em up real good but leave the husks. Butter, salt & pepper the corn really good and put the husks back on. Cook them on the top rack of the grill until they're as tender as you like them.

Pull the husks off, put them on the main rack let them brown up a little - or as brown as you like it.

Pull them off the grill and put more butter, salt & pepper. And right before you serve it - squirt it with fresh lime juice. I know...I thought the same thing when I read the recipe but the corn and the butter and the lime all together...deelishus.

You might not do it this way every time like I do but you guys should try it at least once just because it's really, really good.

Beef
4/20/2007, 11:41 AM
I love putting a little chili powder on grilled corn. Yum.

setem
4/20/2007, 11:41 AM
I've never heard of the salk water soke. I take it this is for flava?

I think it is add/lock in moisture so they don't burn up on you!

...and flava!:D

Get you a big tub of melted butter to dip em en after you grill em. It will be just like at the fair!:pop:

CUinNC
4/20/2007, 11:46 AM
agree. cept I soak em for about 30-45 minutes, it's long enough.

That 3 hours is for beer drinkin'....;)

PS - you can add sugar to the water instead, in case it's early corn & not too sweet yet...

Xstnlsooner
4/20/2007, 11:55 AM
I never shut my grill down, only the week there was ice on the ground.
We grill 2-4 times a week. Why stop in winter?

TopDaugIn2000
4/20/2007, 11:57 AM
I never shut my grill down, only the week there was ice on the ground.
We grill 2-4 times a week. Why stop in winter?

wurd.

TexasLidig8r
4/20/2007, 12:01 PM
Clean them and peel the husks back but leave on. Butter, salt & cayene pepper the corn, then wrap the ears with bacon and put the husks back on. Grill them until tender.

YWIA.

Fugue
4/20/2007, 12:08 PM
wurd.

wurd wurd

I grilled in the snow this year. Teh Win.

Fugue
4/20/2007, 12:09 PM
oh, and grill some garlic in foil while your grilling the corn so you can squirt the liquidy garlic on it lata.

Petro-Sooner
4/20/2007, 12:16 PM
Well, why we're on the subject I just remembered I have some good sized shrimp that have been in the freezer. Other than salt, pepper, butter, maybe some lemon juice, what or how could they be improved before puting them also on the grill? I know I could go to the food network site for the answer but you guys are far more entertaining.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/20/2007, 12:17 PM
oh, and grill some garlic in foil while your grilling the corn so you can squirt the liquidy garlic on it lata.

And on ur staykes...

Taxman71
4/20/2007, 12:18 PM
I take a simple approach. Soak them for a minimum of 30 minutes straight from the store. Throw them directly on the grill as is for 20 minutes on high heat then flip halfway and grill for another 15 minutes. Then take them off, peel the husks back to make a nice handle, apply butter and salt and enjoy. The corn doesn't burn or blacken and is very moist. Sometimes I do tear off the husk to avoid a messy cleanup after they blow all over the yard (that is, what the dogs don't eat first).

Beef
4/20/2007, 12:18 PM
Dirrrrrrrty garlic.

Beef
4/20/2007, 12:20 PM
For those watching their fat intake, spray fake butter is teh **** for grillin'.

Fugue
4/20/2007, 12:29 PM
Dirrrrrrrty garlic.

:hot:

Fugue
4/20/2007, 12:32 PM
And on ur staykes...

oh yeah, stank breaf is a small price to pay for the wonder that is garlic.

Mjcpr
4/20/2007, 12:34 PM
For those watching their fat intake, spray fake butter is teh **** for grillin'.

Pipe down, fatty.....this ain't a thread for our kind.

Mjcpr
4/20/2007, 12:35 PM

Will this work for garlic salt? Or the minced garlic in a jar you can get at the Wal Marts?

CUinNC
4/20/2007, 12:38 PM
Well, why we're on the subject I just remembered I have some good sized shrimp that have been in the freezer. Other than salt, pepper, butter, maybe some lemon juice, what or how could they be improved before puting them also on the grill? I know I could go to the food network site for the answer but you guys are far more entertaining.

De-Flower 'em
roll the shell back up & leave on
soak 'em in beer for a few hours
throw 'em on the grill w/shell

can't lose & damm good:D

Fugue
4/20/2007, 12:39 PM
Will this work for garlic salt? Or the minced garlic in a jar you can get at the Wal Marts?

i would use g powder if I had to. G salt is really salty and the minced is good but you end up chewing the texture. None are as good as the melty garlic that squirts outta the clove.

Mjcpr
4/20/2007, 12:41 PM
De-Flower 'em

Do they put up much of a fight?

Hamhock
4/20/2007, 12:41 PM
The amibiguously ghey guy on Good Eats

you are dead to me. dead. to. me.

Fugue
4/20/2007, 12:42 PM
Do they put up much of a fight?

some are very willing

Mjcpr
4/20/2007, 12:44 PM
some are very willing

Those are probably the ones I've seen with the floppy swimmerets.

Petro-Sooner
4/20/2007, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I never picked up on any gay vibe from him. I like how he tries to explain the science behind cooking. Now there are a couple others on that network I've thought very could well be the gehy.

Fugue
4/20/2007, 12:48 PM
Those are probably the ones I've seen with the floppy swimmerets.

:hot:

TUSooner
4/20/2007, 01:28 PM
The best and easiest grilled corn: (I'll bet jerk has done this.)
Husk the corn, and prepare a big pot of very salty water on the side. Put the nekkid ears of corn RIGHT ON THE WHITE-HOT COALS. Turn them a few times as they pop and sizzle a little and get a little bit black an scorched. Take 'em off the coals and drop them in the salty water to rinse and soak for a minute or 2. Take 'em out of the water and eat them barehanded. No butter, no salt, no fancy-asz cork cob sticker-holder-dealies. I dare you to try it.

Fugue
4/20/2007, 01:32 PM
for me, corn is just a vehicle for the salt, butta and garlic.
a rented vehicle at that, if you know what I mean.

Mjcpr
4/20/2007, 01:33 PM
for me, corn is just a vehicle for the salt, butta and garlic.
a rented vehicle at that, if you know what I mean.

I don't remember eating vehicle!!

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/20/2007, 01:45 PM
:les: EAT IT LIKE IT'S RENTED!!!