PDA

View Full Version : Recruitniks: any info on this one?

Octavian
4/20/2007, 02:23 AM
There's some discussion on texags (http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=862970&forum_id=9) about us being interested in one of their '08 commits.

Keon Furch (http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=187&p=8&c=1&nid=2696158) - WR - Paris, TX

Aggies just had their fourth de-commit of their '08 class. They're getting jittery and hoping this isn't #5.

Anyone know anything about him or the story?

TIA.

Octavian
4/20/2007, 10:55 AM
okay, so texags pulled that thread. It's gone.

It was in their recruiting forum late last night and isn't there this morning...that link will direct you to the front page...not the Furch thread.

Maybe just aggy jibberish, but keep your ears open. They were saying he's a teammate of Stephen Good, and there was mutual interest between him and our staff.

Collier11
4/20/2007, 03:04 PM
I know that they have two commits looking at us plus I think one already decommitted to us. I couldnt give you names off the top of my head though

soonerdave79
4/20/2007, 06:12 PM
I think Britt Mitchell was an aTm recruit

King Crimson
4/20/2007, 08:33 PM
okay, so texags pulled that thread. It's gone.

texags takes the Pravda approach to bad news. erase it.

that site is one of the funniest on the net.

insuranceman_22
4/20/2007, 09:38 PM
Looks good for us. Stephen Good is a Paris, Tx. kid & classmate of Furch, that may very well be working in our favor. I saw Paris play last season, and Good was a freakin animal. a&m has another guy from the Paris, Tx. secondary committed, I wouldn't be surprised to see him looking around some too. I don't remember much about Furch, but if Stoops likes him, he's gotta be an excellent player. Collier is right, B. Mitchell was the other a&m decommit that came to us.

snp
4/25/2007, 12:45 PM
We're not offering Furch unless he has a really impressive senior year. He's already been up to Norman and worked out for the coaches and they didn't offer.

Damion Square and Leroy Chevalier are the other two A&M decommits. They're both teammates at Yates. Square is getting some national attention, inlcuding from us, while Chev isn't as coveted.

goingoneight
5/2/2007, 02:31 AM
Star receivers aren't going to go somewhere that they'll be stand-in blocking backs for the option.

OSUAggie
5/2/2007, 01:09 PM
Star receivers aren't going to go somewhere that they'll be stand-in blocking backs for the option.

You threw for 1 yard more per game than A&M... :confused:

Collier11
5/2/2007, 01:42 PM
When these receivers committed to us, I think we had a young lad named Bomar who was supposed to be a God-send! Unfortunately that didnt work out but we still have some young guys that look really good after a couple of down years, that is why we still get good receivers. Do you think you would have gotten bowman without a good qb like Reid?

OSUFAN11
5/2/2007, 01:43 PM
When these receivers committed to us, I think we had a young lad named Bomar who was supposed to be a God-send! Unfortunately that didnt work out but we still have some young guys that look really good after a couple of down years, that is why we still get good receivers. Do you think you would have gotten bowman without a good qb like Reid?

Probably! Bowman followed his coach to OSU.

OSUAggie
5/2/2007, 01:49 PM

Reid wasn't exactly in the "good" category when Bowman transferred. Bowman came because of Gunter Brewer. Fedora's system (probably more with how it's talked about rather than what it actually does) is what currently attracts receivers to OSU, even though we run quite a bit out of it.

It's all perception. OU will land big-time receivers b/c of the fact that they're OU, but they do throw the ball some, and probably will throw it more once the QB position becomes a bit more stable.

It seems A&M is being labeled as a spread option team that never throws the ball, and their name can't overcome that perception except among a few folks in SE Texas.

Collier11
5/2/2007, 01:57 PM
Reid hasnt played like a HS all-american but the fact is that he was very hyped as a highschooler

Frozen Sooner
5/2/2007, 01:59 PM
The difference is that OU threw for one more yard per game even with the best back in the country for half the season and a first-year starter at QB who was playing receiver until two-a-days. ATM put up those numbers with a QB who's supposed to be a stud and was the starter going into spring ball. Not only that, but OU has been a team that consistently throws the ball well since 1999, while ATM hasn't been a team noted for throwing the ball well under Franchione.

Collier11
5/2/2007, 01:59 PM
Being a big time school helps OU obviously, but it doesnt hurt that we have had Heupel and JW as heisman finalists since Stoops has been here, and we have some great young talent! Perception is everything and even though we have moved towards being more of a running team, we have a great rep as a passing team since Stoops. Plus, we have out several WR's in the NFL and we have a future 1st rd pick right now

OSUAggie
5/2/2007, 02:07 PM
I think it'll be interesting to see how well the receiver position is recruited in the next couple of years for you guys. Wilson hasn't exactly passed the ball a whole lot since he's been calling the shots (again, instability at QB probably has a bit to do with that). I want to see how much he plans on throwing with all those horses in the backfield being there the next few years.

Was Tennell the only "big time" receiver you've landed in the last 2 classes?

fwsooner22
5/2/2007, 02:16 PM
I think it'll be interesting to see how well the receiver position is recruited in the next couple of years for you guys. Wilson hasn't exactly passed the ball a whole lot since he's been calling the shots (again, instability at QB probably has a bit to do with that). I want to see how much he plans on throwing with all those horses in the backfield being there the next few years.

Was Tennell the only "big time" receiver you've landed in the last 2 classes?

It might have something to do with who is already here!

4 Malcolm Kelly Jr.
80 Adron Tennell So.
1 Manuel Johnson Jr.
8 Brandon Caleb So.
9 Juaquin Iglesias Jr.
81 Fred Strong

OSUAggie
5/2/2007, 02:24 PM
No disrespect to the others on that list, but Kelly's the only one that is currently at a level that would 'scare off' competition.

I like Johnson and Iglesias a lot, but they're not quite there yet, I don't think. Tennell obviously has a lot of potential. Caleb and Strong... eh. They're nice players and all, but nothing that would keep anybody else away.

Collier11
5/2/2007, 02:30 PM
But, Tennell and Caleb were big time recruits and we are currently in on 6 top 150 receivers so I think we will be fine. Also, iglesias was a 3 star that turned into a pretty good receiver so we have also shown to develop well

Rhino
5/2/2007, 02:32 PM
Was Tennell the only "big time" receiver you've landed in the last 2 classes? Including the class we signed in February, yes, Tennell (3) is the only bigtime receiver in the last two classes.

He was highest rated WR since Malcolm Kelly (6), Eric Huggins (8) and Manuel Johnson (13) in 2005.

birddog
5/2/2007, 10:49 PM
Caleb and Strong... eh. They're nice players and all, but nothing that would keep anybody else away.

what do you know about caleb? he's a friggin sophomore.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=1707878

OSUAggie
5/4/2007, 10:22 AM
what do you know about caleb? he's a friggin sophomore.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=1707878

So who's he going to keep away? Someone that covets being a gunner?

starrca23
5/5/2007, 04:56 PM
I think the point may be that our recievers (that do play) are so good that this guy barely sees the field, and he was ranked 17th in his class.

Oh, and you didn't answer the question...what do you know, Aggie?

insuranceman_22
5/6/2007, 10:28 PM
Here's the truth of whole deal. We've had the best running back in the country for the last three years. When White was here, we ran and threw pretty much at will.....very successful! The last two years we haven't had the QB ability, but we've still had the RB to rely on. Now that he's gone, is our stable of RBs in trouble......don't think so. Just because Kelly, Johnson & Iggy have been the wide-outs for several years, don't think even briefly that we don't have talent behind them.....just like we did at RB when AD left. They may not have been 5 star guys on the recruiting boards out of high school, but they can play. Also, it would certainly appear that we're getting much stronger at the QB position. Bradford, Nichol and the commit Jones. K. Wilson is going to have a chance to show a little more diversity on the offensive side of the ball this year.....and barring injuries (lots of them, with a seasoned but still young offensive line), OUr offense may be really, really good in the 08 season.

Jello Biafra
5/6/2007, 10:50 PM
No disrespect to the others on that list, but Kelly's the only one that is currently at a level that would 'scare off' competition.

I like Johnson and Iglesias a lot, but they're not quite there yet, I don't think. Tennell obviously has a lot of potential. Caleb and Strong... eh. They're nice players and all, but they would be starters full time at osu.

fixed.