PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know anything about Louisville Kentucky?

royalfan5
4/19/2007, 09:25 PM
I just applied for a job there. I've been there for the National FFA convention, it seemed nice. Anybody know anything about living there? TIA

oumartin
4/19/2007, 10:01 PM
you will have to pay kentucky income tax.

King Crimson
4/19/2007, 10:12 PM
it's a nice city. they had one of the best sabbath-y hard rock/metal/"grunge"/bad brains bands of the late 90s: Kinghorse. if KH was from seattle they'd have been huge.

i use those monikers in parody of music mags of the time (minus Bad Brains, BB was awesome), only. Kinghorse rocked, and folded.

edit: Kinghorse probably owed more to the DC hardcore scene (Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Fugazi, etc.) than anything "grunge". I also believe Slint was from Louisville. Slint rocks.

SoonerStormchaser
4/19/2007, 10:25 PM
I know there's a big race track there where horsies like to run.

Blue
4/19/2007, 10:27 PM
They did invent the "Slugger"...

GottaHavePride
4/19/2007, 10:41 PM
They have a strip club that advertises "hundreds of beautiful women, and two ugly ones".

jk the sooner fan
4/20/2007, 05:45 AM
actually its three ugly ones

i lived at fort knox, just 40 miles south of Luahvull, for 2 and a half years....its a beautiful state/area....and luahvull is a nice city....but ummmm, well...the peeps are a tad different there

Okla-homey
4/20/2007, 06:48 AM
watchyer cornhole dude.

TUSooner
4/20/2007, 07:37 PM
I've been to the Louisville Slugger factory.
I peed in the Louisville football team's locker room at Papa John stadium.
Muhammad Ali is from there.
It seemed like a nice place, overall.
You missed the Run for the Rodents rat races at Spaulding U. last week.
Glad I could help!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/20/2007, 07:42 PM
Kentucky Derby. It's near Fort Knox, if you need some money.

jk the sooner fan
4/20/2007, 08:00 PM
i'm one of the few you'll meet thats been inside fort knox.....and i do mean the vault!

olevetonahill
4/20/2007, 08:24 PM
Does "DELIVERANCE " RING A BELL

phead903
4/22/2007, 04:39 PM
I lived in "lou-uh-vull" for 4 years - very neat city. It has the southern charm you will find further down in Dixie, but is also close enough to the north so that it's not completely insular. It does have some northern industriousness to it - UPS is headquartered there, Captial One, Brown & Williamson, and other tobacco and spirits companies are there. Derby Week is a lot of fun and there is a pretty good arts environment there.

It is only about 1 1/2 hours from Cincinnati, close to Indianapolis and you can be in Chicago in 5 hours or so. There is a lot of history in Kentucky, as it was the 15th state (after Ohio and the original 13).

Weather wise, it is a lot like Tulsa - hot, humid summers, more ice than snow in the winter, but longer spring and fall periods.

When I lived there, there wasn't a lot of good things being said about the public schools. There are a lot of Catholic schools and a lot of people that work in Louisville actually live in Southern Indiana because of the schools.

The University of Louisville has a very well respected engineering school, and Bellarmine University has the 1st graduate business school in the state. Spaulding University is well known for its nursing school, so higher education is pretty good there.

There are a lot on old neat neighborhoods in Louisville that have some neat restaurants and bars.

Probably more than you wanted to know, however I would recommmend it highly.

Sooner24
4/22/2007, 05:28 PM
i'm one of the few you'll meet thats been inside fort knox.....and i do mean the vault!

I heard the president can't even get in there.

jk the sooner fan
4/22/2007, 05:33 PM
I heard the president can't even get in there.

oh thats not true, they give tours fairly often - but you have to have a reason.....since i was CID there, we wrote the protection plan for the head guy in charge of the vault - as a result, myself and my boss got a tour

i would imagine every colonel/general thats ever commanded fort knox has peeked inside

soonerbrat
4/22/2007, 05:46 PM
my dad used to live there and I would stay there in summertime..i really liked it. quite charming

jk the sooner fan
4/22/2007, 07:05 PM
phead903's description is spot on - i liked it because of the 4 seasons....not sure i'd agree with the ice over snow though.....the two winters i lived there we got LOTS of snow - but they get more just across the ohio river

PrideTrombone
4/22/2007, 08:07 PM
The downtown area seemed pretty slow when i was there. Everything closed at 6, but there was one bar/Italian restaurant right near the Ohio river called Bearno's.