PDA

View Full Version : SO Dog Whisperers

OCUDad
4/19/2007, 09:18 PM
What causes a dog who has been dependably housebroken since he was a puppy start to have "accidents"? Spike is 5; we've had him since he was 2-1/2 (he was adopted), and except for a day or two when we first got him, he's been excellent in his bathroom habits. Lately (last 4 out of 5 days), I come home from work to find a small pile in exactly the same place on the kitchen floor. He knows he's done a bad thing; he's usually in his bed looking all embarrassed.

His diet hasn't changed; his routine hasn't changed; his feeding time hasn't changed; he gets lots of love when Mrs. Dad and I are home, and usually sleeps on the family room couch when we're not.

He doesn't appear to be sick. When we let him out in the mornings and evenings, he does his thing like the good little dog he's always been. Only difference lately is the little "welcome home" pile, always in the same place on the kitchen floor.

Let the discussion begin. Maybe there'll be some help mixed in among the usual.

jk the sooner fan
4/19/2007, 09:21 PM
it could be that the first occurrence was simply because he couldnt wait, and if that scent is still there on the floor.....he'll keep going there till its gone

OCUDad
4/19/2007, 09:22 PM
We've washed the floor every time it happens. A friend recommended putting bitter apple spray down in that spot... might be stronger than the floor cleaner?

King Crimson
4/19/2007, 09:27 PM
one of my buddies adopted a german shepherd a few years ago. he was a real sweetheart of a dog and loyal like hell. but something had happened to him in his past--like his former owner beat him or something. seriously he would get really angry sometimes and pace around in circles....and **** in places or cower aggresively at some people at times.

dogs have memories. and if they;ve been mistreated (not by you, obviously), they don't forget. and things trigger that. you don't know what those things are.

jk the sooner fan
4/19/2007, 09:28 PM
bitter apple on that spot might work, but it also may cause him to go in another spot

wouldnt hurt to try it

yermom
4/19/2007, 09:40 PM
one of my buddies adopted a german shepherd a few years ago. he was a real sweetheart of a dog and loyal like hell. but something had happened to him in his past--like his former owner beat him or something. seriously he would get really angry sometimes and pace around in circles....and **** in places or cower aggresively at some people at times.

dogs have memories. and if they;ve been mistreated (not by you, obviously), they don't forget. and things trigger that. you don't know what those things are.

i kinda understand what you mean here, but it sounds funny

Sooner24
4/19/2007, 09:47 PM
New baby or anything out of the ordinary at the house?

Blue
4/19/2007, 09:49 PM
He doesn't appear to be sick.

Might want to take him to the vet anyway. Our dog did this, but it was foul and we knew her time was coming. She was disoriented as well.

Not sayin your dogs dying though.:D

OCUDad
4/19/2007, 09:50 PM
There's been no change in Spike's life or environment since forever. If the bitter apple spray doesn't do the trick and he starts going elsewhere, I guess I'll take him to the vet.

picasso
4/19/2007, 10:05 PM
did his mother love him when he was a puppy?

Blue
4/19/2007, 10:07 PM
I bet thats it. He wasn't breastfed. :D

OCUDad
4/19/2007, 10:52 PM
did his mother love him when he was a puppy?Is this a question from personal experience?

Beef
4/20/2007, 09:49 AM
Nature's Miracle is the best for getting up smells.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/20/2007, 09:52 AM
U T I !!

jk the sooner fan
4/20/2007, 10:10 AM
U T I !!

dude, dogs dont poop out their pee hole

TheHumanAlphabet
4/20/2007, 10:14 AM
Oh, pile as in pile, not puddle...

Sorry!

Put his food at the pile spot.

StuIsTheMan
4/20/2007, 10:16 AM
Porbabaly came from a nine dog litter

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/8243/dogwa3.png (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/)