PDA

View Full Version : UFC 70 - Mirko Cro Cop – The Biggest Year of His Life

KC//CRIMSON
4/19/2007, 05:10 PM
This is a really good write up with the coolest cat in MMA. Plus, don't forget - this UFC event will be free this time on Spike TV.:cool:

Cro Cop has seen a lot in his 32 years, more than most people ever will. From competing around the world as a kickboxer and mixed martial artist to being a member of the elite ATJ-LUCKO unit of the Croatian Special Police and of his home country’s Parliament. But in a life full of eventful years, 2007 may be the one he will look back and remember most.

So far, the native of Vinkovci has shaken up the mixed martial arts world by joining the roster of the UFC after a successful run in Japan’s Pride organization, he made his Octagon debut with a first round stoppage of Eddie Sanchez in February, and this week he will travel to Manchester, England for a heavyweight title elimination bout against Gabriel Gonzaga.

That’s not it though. A win over Gonzaga will net him a proposed August bout with UFC Hall of Famer and current heavyweight champ Randy Couture, and by November, his term in Parliament will end and free him up – not for some leisure time, but for a return to ATJ-LUCKO.

Think of that schedule next time you complain that you’re too busy. But despite his hectic life and the high-pressure of each of his pursuits, Cro Cop carries a poker face not seen since Joe Louis was wrecking heavyweight boxers with his fists back in the 30’s and 40’s. So during an international media conference call with Cro Cop Tuesday afternoon, the question had to be asked – where does this serenity come from?

“Good question,” he chuckled. “I don’t know. I just feel that way. I’m calm and I’m very concentrated.”

So, no nerves?

“No. Every fighter has a feeling before the fight, but it’s nothing special. It’s just my job, it’s a job I like to do and I’ve trained all my life for this. I’m a professional.”

That he is, and when it comes to fighting, Cro Cop is all business. There are no loud declarations of dominance, no incendiary trash talking. Like UFC light heavyweight boss Chuck Liddell, Cro Cop likes to fight and he likes to knock people out - and not necessarily in that order. It’s an attitude that has garnered him legions of loyal fans both here and abroad, and that number is growing with each fight.

But after a career in Japan, it was interesting to see how Cro Cop would react to the ‘in your face’ style of some of the American media when he decided to sign with the UFC. He admits that there was an adjustment.

“It’s hard to compare it,” he said. “I have been fighting in Japan for so long, so I can say that I have a special relationship with the media in Japan through my manager Mr. (Ken) Imai. In Japan, he was taking care of those kinds of things. I would just appear at the press conference and most of them I received in my house in Croatia, so I did not have a chance to face the media too much face to face like it is in the States. But I will adapt. I am a professional and I will adapt myself.”

If today’s teleconference was any indication, the soft-spoken Croatian should be just fine, as he fielded scores of questions from a press corps eager to hear from the most feared heavyweight striker in the organization. But such demand will only grow higher with a win on Saturday over Gonzaga, as the UFC 70 main event will be aired on Spike TV, where millions may be seeing Cro Cop perform for the first time. He’s ready for that type of pressure.

“The key is that I will do my best,” said Cro Cop about his fight with the Brazilian ground ace. “And I think that Gabriel Gonzaga won’t have answers on everything that I can offer to him.”

Gonzaga is no pushover though, as the BJJ world champion is undefeated in the UFC thus far at 3-0, with none of his three bouts going the distance.

“Gabriel Gonzaga is a solid fighter, a good fighter,” said Cro Cop. “I saw some of his fights and he’s a tough guy. He won’t hesitate to fight toe-to-toe if he has to. He’s a first-class wrestler and I have to be careful. Of course I will try to keep the fight in the standup position as long as possible. He will try to put the fight on the ground, but we will see. I don’t want to underestimate Gonzaga.”

It’s on the ground where most believe Cro Cop will be at his biggest disadvantage. The Zagreb resident admits that while he would rather stand up and strike with his opponent, he’s not intimidated by Gonzaga’s ground game either.

“I’ve trained jiu-jitsu a lot and I have some jiu-jitsu experts in my gym,” he said. “I feel comfortable on the ground, even with a jiu-jitsu fighter like Gabriel Gonzaga. I am aware that he used to be a jiu-jitsu world champion, but I am pretty versed in ground fighting now. Of course my background is standup, and I look forward to a fight in the standup position, but even if it goes to the ground, I’m not scared.”

Not surprising from a fighter who has been in the ring with a Who’s Who of MMA over the last five years, including Fedor Emelianenko, Wanderlei Silva, Josh Barnett, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Mark Hunt, Kevin Randleman, Mark Coleman, Heath Herring, and Kazushi Sakuraba.

So facing a fighter with just eight fights to his name in Eddie Sanchez at UFC 67 shouldn’t have even been a concern for Cro Cop. But combine Sanchez’ style and Cro Cop’s first performance in the Octagon with a late arrival into Las Vegas, and it was tougher than it looked.

“Sanchez avoided the fight so it was hard for me,” Cro Cop admitted. “He was running away so I had to run after him. I just don’t like that kind of fight. That was one thing; the second thing was, it was my first time fighting in the cage, so it was a weird feeling. The cage is bigger than the ring, so it was a little bit different.”

But once the kicks he had been practicing on a homemade sandbag since the age of 11 started landing, it was just a matter of time until the fight was over, and Cro Cop pounded out Sanchez at the 4:33 mark of the opening round. It was a good lesson though. Never underestimate any opponent, because you never know what will happen when the bell rings. It’s why Cro Cop won’t discuss a summer fight with Couture.

“Talking about a fight with Randy Couture, I believe is a jinx for me, and I don’t like to talk about it,” he said. “I have an opponent in front of me on Saturday night, and right now I’m concentrating on Gabriel Gonzaga. After that we can discuss all the details of my fight with Randy Couture, but anything before that time, I think is a jinx.”

It’s a good philosophy and one that has worked wonders for Mirko Cro Cop over the years. He'll need that focus for the rest of 2007.

JohnnyMack
4/19/2007, 05:12 PM
I'd still rather watch boxing. I know I'm in the minority, but I would.

KC//CRIMSON
4/19/2007, 05:17 PM
I'd still rather watch boxing. I know I'm in the minority, but I would.

Hey there's nothing wrong with that. I like a good boxing match as well. I really wish Valdi could have stayed around longer. It was fun watching him box. Too bad he'll never get a re-match with Lewis. What could have been.

Fraggle145
4/19/2007, 05:20 PM
when does this thing run? I miss good boxing as well, but I think MMA is bad ace... I wish they still didnt have the weight limit though, I kinda liked it when it was all crazy.

KC//CRIMSON
4/19/2007, 05:22 PM
In other news - This is what FEDOR did to his latest victim the other night. Linland actually had a chance for all of about four seconds.:D

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/fedor/video/x1pw27_fedor-emelianenko-vs-matt-lindland

Melo
4/19/2007, 05:29 PM
I like Cro Cop. And his little hot pants. Rarr...

SoonerBBall
4/19/2007, 08:07 PM
Cro Cop is the ****. I can't wait for his rematch with Fedor now that Pride and UFC are under the same owner.

Sooner_Bob
4/19/2007, 10:07 PM
In other news - This is what FEDOR did to his latest victim the other night. Linland actually had a chance for all of about four seconds.:D

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/fedor/video/x1pw27_fedor-emelianenko-vs-matt-lindland

Linland got one good shot and that was hit . . . Fedor is a freakin' animal.

And speaking of boxing, have you guys seen the PPV cost for De La Hoya and Mayweather? $54.95 or something like that.:eek:

Sooner_Bob
4/19/2007, 10:07 PM
when does this thing run? I miss good boxing as well, but I think MMA is bad ace... I wish they still didnt have the weight limit though, I kinda liked it when it was all crazy.

Saturday night on Spike TV . . .

Blue
4/19/2007, 10:14 PM
De La Hoyas gonna get spanked by Mayweather on the 5th. Should be a decent fight though.

OU4LIFE
4/20/2007, 07:39 AM
it's just hard to even FIND a good boxing match anymore. At least with the MMA guys you get action and aggressiveness in just about every fight.

I just don't see anyone beating Fedor for quite a while. That guy is amazing, and he's young enough to hang for a while. But, with the way Cro Cop kicks, anything could happen.

springs sooner
4/20/2007, 08:39 AM
I just don't see anyone beating Fedor for quite a while. That guy is amazing, and he's young enough to hang for a while. But, with the way Cro Cop kicks, anything could happen.

i agree with you here. Fedor is pretty darn tough. I cant wait for the rematch between cro cop and fedor. I have a feeling this fight will not go to a decision

KC//CRIMSON
4/20/2007, 03:32 PM
it's just hard to even FIND a good boxing match anymore. At least with the MMA guys you get action and aggressiveness in just about every fight.

I think the only thing that will stop Fedor from winning a fight, is bleeding. The dude bleeds like a stuffed pig. He has a record of 17-1 and his only "loss" was because of a cut he got in a fight early on in his career. He was totally pwning the guy but he just could not stop bleeding and the ref called it. If I remember correctly, they re-scheduled that fight and Fedor stomped a mud hole in him, quick. Can't remember his name though.

But just like in the Linland fight above, he barely gets tagged and starts dripping all over the place. Thin skin I guess.;)

sanantoniosooner
4/20/2007, 04:05 PM
The dude bleeds like a stuffed pig.
new one on me.

KC//CRIMSON
4/21/2007, 09:14 PM
Damn. The okie got put to sleep.

KC//CRIMSON
4/21/2007, 09:31 PM
There is no god. I give up. Un-*ucking believable.

TMcGee86
4/21/2007, 11:00 PM
Cro cop could be dead. That was brutal.

I think his leg is shot.

unbelievable

usmc-sooner
4/21/2007, 11:14 PM
his foot was facing backwards. the Pride fighters are getting there asses kicked we'll see about Jackson and Liddell. I wasn't too impressed with Jackson's last fight.

HskrGrl
4/21/2007, 11:15 PM
Cro cop could be dead. That was brutal.

I think his leg is shot.

unbelievable

I called my dh and asked him if Cro Cop was dead! DAAAAAAMMMN! :eek:

tbl
4/21/2007, 11:17 PM
That was amazing.... Got knocked the F out Cro-Cop style (ironic?), and no telling what happened by his own weight falling cold on his leg.

Wow... Unbelievable...

I liked Matt Serra's interview. "It was almost worth it to win just so I can punch that guy in the face". Its nice to see another guy out there that hates Matt Hughes like I do, yet he's able to actually do something about it. I hope he THROTTLES Hughes....

I still can't believe Cro-Cop got jacked like that... That was effing crazy... CRAZY I TELL YA!!!!

HskrGrl
4/21/2007, 11:19 PM
I hate Matt Hughes, too!

I still can't believe that Cro Cop got up off the ground without a stretcher. His leg is going to be messed up!

tbl
4/21/2007, 11:19 PM
So far, it looks like the UFC is coming out on top (as I knew it would). Most people figured it the other way around, but not so... Thats not to say that Cro Cop isn't still a bad mofo... but man... that was brutal.

I hope the Natural can handle this Gonzaga guy. I mean, he was pretty exciting and all... but I want my champs speakin da engles.

tbl
4/21/2007, 11:23 PM
BTW, how about Bisping straight DOMINATING that dude tonight? I was shocked it wasn't stopped some time in the first. He was just beaning the dude left and right with no defense to stop him. It was kind of brutal, really. I was pretty shocked when it looked like Bisping was gonna get choked in 2, but apparently round 1 had done its damage, so back to beating the crap out him...

Pretty good fight tonight, especially considering I didn't have to watch it in a sports bar with a bunch of *********s...

HskrGrl
4/21/2007, 11:27 PM
I could tell from the time he was fighting on TUF 3 that he was going to be a great new face for the UFC.

usmc-sooner
4/21/2007, 11:52 PM
So far, it looks like the UFC is coming out on top (as I knew it would). Most people figured it the other way around, but not so... Thats not to say that Cro Cop isn't still a bad mofo... but man... that was brutal.

I hope the Natural can handle this Gonzaga guy. I mean, he was pretty exciting and all... but I want my champs speakin da engles.

exactly, the pride fighters don't look all that dominating.

I guess it's hard to look dominating laying on your back counting the lights.

Fraggle145
4/22/2007, 05:58 AM
All I can say after tonights fight is: wow.

Sooner_Bob
4/22/2007, 01:01 PM
That was an amazing kick . . . I hope Cro Cop's leg is ok too.

That was the first time I've seen Gonzaga fight and I was pretty impressed. He can move for a big guy. It might be kinda cool to see him fight Fedor.

Time to go watch my copy of Cage Rage 21 now . . . :D

SoonerBBall
4/22/2007, 01:54 PM
Damn. Just damn. I had Cro Cop winning that one in a walk, and he turns around and gets ktfo. Gonzaga is the real deal.

TMcGee86
4/22/2007, 03:16 PM
I agree, Pride is looking like teh suc right now.

And I am glad as I have never watched Pride and the fans of it seem so sure of their superiority good to see them put in their place.

UFC = teh win!!

KC//CRIMSON
4/22/2007, 04:06 PM
So after one fight UFC is pwning Pride fighters? Please. Rampage (1-0), Cro Cop (1-1), Silva (Champ)
I can't wait until they mix all these fighters together.

Regardless, the talent level is still stronger in the light heavyweight and heavyweight divisions of Pride.

This isn't the first time Cro Cop has been ktfo either. He'll be back just like last time after Randlemen.

KC//CRIMSON
4/22/2007, 04:42 PM
exactly, the pride fighters don't look all that dominating.

I guess it's hard to look dominating laying on your back counting the lights.

I guess it's hard to be open minded when you're a USA homer too......:P

Sooner_Bob
4/22/2007, 07:18 PM
I finally got around to finishing Cage Rage 21. It was sorta ho hum . . . I was looking forward to seeing Turner and Sapp instead it was Turner and Tank, and Tank did what Tank does best. He got gassed and gave up.

usmc-sooner
4/22/2007, 08:31 PM
I guess it's hard to be open minded when you're a USA homer too......:P

I was just basing that on the total destruction of Cro Crop, even Fedor didn't dominate him like that. The guy that Arlowski beat was a Pride fighter as well. Rampage didn't look all that impressive in his UFC debut. We'll have to wait and see about the rematch with Chuck.

KC//CRIMSON
4/22/2007, 09:42 PM
I was just basing that on the total destruction of Cro Crop, even Fedor didn't dominate him like that. The guy that Arlowski beat was a Pride fighter as well. Rampage didn't look all that impressive in his UFC debut. We'll have to wait and see about the rematch with Chuck.

Werdum is not even in the top twenty Pride heavyweights. He's only had six fights.

And Rampage has a really good chance to repeat a victory over Liddell. Depends on which Rampage shows up. If it's old school Rampage, look out.

usmc-sooner
4/22/2007, 10:12 PM
I think Pride fighters got way overrated. Rampage kicked the crap out of Chuck but Cro Crop looked like he was way over rated. I imagine Fedor is to. Chuck wins big or loses big. The natural took him apart and then in rematches Chuck owned him.

BTW that guy that Arlowski beat supposedly trained Cro Crop. I've got no allegiance to Pride or UFC but it seems like Pride followers seem to geek out over this stuff.
Heck I could care less unless they want to fight me.

I don't see why the Pride followers take it personel and take it so hard when their big boys are getting laid out and counting stars.

OU4LIFE
4/23/2007, 08:02 AM
From what I saw, Cro Cop got up and walked out of the cage. And didn't looks to me like he was even limping, so it must not have been as bad as it looked, when your completely limp, the body is pretty flexible. ;)

see, ya'll outta listen to ole Randy C when he makes a prediction...he's been right damn near every time.

Mirko was afraid to kick after Gonzaga caught the first one and dropped him.

Gonzaga - Couture is going to be a war.

KC//CRIMSON
4/23/2007, 01:54 PM
I think Pride fighters got way overrated. Rampage kicked the crap out of Chuck but Cro Crop looked like he was way over rated. I imagine Fedor is to. Chuck wins big or loses big. The natural took him apart and then in rematches Chuck owned him.

BTW that guy that Arlowski beat supposedly trained Cro Crop. I've got no allegiance to Pride or UFC but it seems like Pride followers seem to geek out over this stuff.

I don't see why the Pride followers take it personel and take it so hard when their big boys are getting laid out and counting stars.

You just lost all credibility right there.....Have you ever seen this guy fight? Go watch any of his fights on youtube. Check out Fedor vs Randlemen (if that doesn't impress you, nothing will) or Fedor vs Hunt, Cro Cop, etc....

Fedor would destroy anyone in the UFC. Anyone.

Also, Cro Cop was not overrated. Sometimes even the best get beat by a lesser opponent. Remember OU vs Boise St?;)

TMcGee86
4/23/2007, 04:09 PM
I've got no allegiance to Pride or UFC but it seems like Pride followers seem to geek out over this stuff.

Exactly! Pride guys are like wine snobs. It's like you could never understand why they are so superior so they dont need to waste time explaining it to you.

usmc-sooner
4/23/2007, 04:15 PM
You just lost all credibility right there.....Have you ever seen this guy fight? Go watch any of his fights on youtube. Check out Fedor vs Randlemen (if that doesn't impress you, nothing will) or Fedor vs Hunt, Cro Cop, etc....

Fedor would destroy anyone in the UFC. Anyone.

Also, Cro Cop was not overrated. Sometimes even the best get beat by a lesser opponent. Remember OU vs Boise St?;)

Dude you act like you got a personal relationship with these guys all I was saying is that even Fedor didn't dominane Cro-Crop like that UFC guy did. I think the guy who whipped Cro Crop would have a really good chance against Fedor. That dude jumped on Cro Crop from the beginning and never let up.

Cro Crop looked over rated to me. Was I suppposed to be impressed by the brutal butt whipping he took?

sanantoniosooner
4/23/2007, 04:21 PM
I wish you guys would shut up and post some video links to said beating.:)

SoonerAcesUp
4/23/2007, 04:30 PM
That knock-out of Cro Cop was very impressive! I couldn't believe he walked out of the place after how the replays looked. The funny part was when the referee covered his eyes when he first saw the leg bent back and then realized he had to get his leg out.

KC//CRIMSON
4/23/2007, 06:25 PM
Dude you act like you got a personal relationship with these guys all I was saying is that even Fedor didn't dominane Cro-Crop like that UFC guy did. I think the guy who whipped Cro Crop would have a really good chance against Fedor. That dude jumped on Cro Crop from the beginning and never let up.

Cro Crop looked over rated to me. Was I suppposed to be impressed by the brutal butt whipping he took?

The guy who beat Cro Cop (Gabe Gonzaga) would get beat down nine times out of ten by Fedor. Again, Cro Cop was overrated? Have you seen the guys fight resume? To say that is crazy talk. He's fought every top MMA fighter in the world and beat 95% of them. Would you also say the Sooners were way overrated, the last few seasons? Every great fighter has a bad day.

Anyway, now the UFC and Pride is all one Corporation. Well, see what happens.

KC//CRIMSON
4/23/2007, 06:28 PM
Exactly! Pride guys are like wine snobs. It's like you could never understand why they are so superior so they dont need to waste time explaining it to you.

This coming from a guy who has said he has never watched or kept up with Pride MMA.

Whether you believe me or not, I'm a fan of both Corporations. But saying that the UFC LHW and HW division is better than Pride's is like saying the WAC is better than the Big12. Seriously.

usmc-sooner
4/23/2007, 06:40 PM
The guy who beat Cro Cop (Gabe Gonzaga) would get beat down nine times out of ten by Fedor. Again, Cro Cop was overrated? Have you seen the guys fight resume? To say that is crazy talk. He's fought every top MMA fighter in the world and beat 95% of them. Would you also say the Sooners were way overrated, the last few seasons? Every great fighter has a bad day.

Anyway, now the UFC and Pride is all one Corporation. Well, see what happens.

he got his *** beat by someone I've never heard of. I can understand a fluke knockout but this guy just dominated him. He caught his kick took him down and beat his ***, let him up and laid him out.

I don't have any care whatsoever as to UFC or Pride. I like Liddell and the Natural, I've been watching UFC longer so I'm more familiar with the UFC.

I mean you're the one who rails on Liddell cause of his one loss to Jackson. Maybe that was his one bad fight.

I watched Fedor and Cro Crop fight and Fedor didn't look as impressive as Gonzaga and it would even be close. Not that Fedor might not beat Gonzaga.

KC//CRIMSON
4/23/2007, 07:12 PM
he got his *** beat by someone I've never heard of. I can understand a fluke knockout but this guy just dominated him. He caught his kick took him down and beat his ***, let him up and laid him out.

I don't have any care whatsoever as to UFC or Pride. I like Liddell and the Natural, I've been watching UFC longer so I'm more familiar with the UFC.

I mean you're the one who rails on Liddell cause of his one loss to Jackson. Maybe that was his one bad fight.

I watched Fedor and Cro Crop fight and Fedor didn't look as impressive as Gonzaga and it would even be close. Not that Fedor might not beat Gonzaga.

Honestly, I don't care for Chuck Liddell. I don't think he's really fought anyone worth a ****. That division in the UFC has been pretty weak. I can think of maybe six to eight guys that could walk in and take the title. Now, that the UFC and Pride is under the same ownership, hopefully we will get to see this fights.

As far as your comment that Gonzaga looked more impressive against Cro Cop than Fedor. That's a little deceiving. It was two totally different fights. Fedor and Cro Cop was all stand up, and the other was mostly grappling. Cro Cop took a few elbows on the ground against Gabe, but nothing that really did any damage. Not to take anything away from Gabe, but I really think Cro Cop just got lazy and underestimated his opponent. If you watch the video it looks like Cro Cop was expecting a kick to the mid section and never expected Gabe to reach that high and tag him on the head. Helluva shot though. Kevin Randlemen did the exact same thing to Cro Cop, but with his fist. CC will bounce back, the guy is a warrior.

usmc-sooner
4/23/2007, 07:21 PM
As far as your comment that Gonzaga looked more impressive against Cro Cop than Fedor. That's a little deceiving. It was two totally different fights. Fedor and Cro Cop was all stand up, and the other was mostly grappling. Cro Cop took a few elbows on the ground against Gabe, but nothing that really did any damage. Not to take anything away from Gabe, but I really think Cro Cop just got lazy and underestimated his opponent. If you watch the video it looks like Cro Cop was expecting a kick to the mid section and never expected Gabe to reach that high and tag him on the head. Helluva shot though. Kevin Randlemen did the exact same thing to Cro Cop, but with his fist. CC will bounce back, the guy is a warrior.

no doubt, I like Cro Crop.

I can't stand Dana White but I'm pumped to see some of the potential up coming fights.
I think Gonzaga will beat the Natural although I'll be pulling for Randy. I fired up to see Liddell and Jackson, I want to see more matches of Wandelie Silva.

tbl
4/23/2007, 07:29 PM
Cro Crop is most definitely not overrated... The guy can beat anybody on a given day. Saturday just wasn't his night. He'll be back... with fierceness.

Watch out for Bisping in the LH class. That guy is tough as nails, and as well rounded as he is, he might give ole Chuck a run for the money. Personally I think Chuck will get through Rampage... but I guess we'll see.

Sooner_Bob
4/23/2007, 09:39 PM
Dear Dana,

Please, please don't go all Vince McMahon on us and let UFC/Pride turn into WWE RAW/Smackdown . . . please.

Sincerely,

MMA fans everywhere

Sooner_Bob
4/23/2007, 09:41 PM
I wish you guys would shut up and post some video links to said beating.:)

I think the replay was/is on tonight on Spike TV.

TMcGee86
4/23/2007, 10:09 PM
This coming from a guy who has said he has never watched or kept up with Pride MMA.

Whether you believe me or not, I'm a fan of both Corporations. But saying that the UFC LHW and HW division is better than Pride's is like saying the WAC is better than the Big12. Seriously.

Yeah I'm not saying UFC is better, I am just saying I dislike the way Pride fans act as though UFC is a joke.

And I'm sure not all act that way but it just seems to me anytime you bring up UFC with anyone who is a big fan of Pride, they just laugh at your utter stupidity.

And I totally agree, at least from what I have seen in the HW division it was no contest up until just recently and even then Pride is much more deep.

LHW in Pride is deeper but I will hold off to see how Liddell does in the rematch before I declare Pride a runaway favorite.

But you are right, someone would have to be totally uninformed to deny the lack of talent in the HW division in UFC.

rufnek05
4/23/2007, 10:10 PM
i saw the replay tonight. i think cro-cop is the better fighter over all, but gabe had his night. and cor-cop just didn't see that leg kick to the head coming. it was a great knock out though. better than the arlofski fight. that was a bunch of dancing around for 15 minutes.

KC//CRIMSON
4/23/2007, 11:12 PM
Cro Cop Interview 04/23/07

Quote:
Although the KO he suffered looked deadly, Mirko's head doesn't hurt him. But, he is having problems with a swollen right ankle.
"I won't be doing anything for 2 weeks, won't even drink vitamins and proteins. I have to clean up my organism. Full of spite, I wanted to train the same evening I got back to Croatia, but I know it would be contraproductive", Mirko says.
He is feeling guilty for letting down his fans, especially those who came to Manchester to support him. And he doesn't care about those who took pleasure in his calvary.
"I don't have to justify myself to anyone. Besides being an amateur boxer for 2 years, thus being paid trips to a few tournaments, the country's sport system didn't invest in me. I am my own investment."
He doesn't have an excuse for his bad performance. He can't even explain what happened to him. Although, he can manage to describe the state he was in.
"I don't have an alibi. It happens in cycles to me. It looks like I blew myself out [I'm not sure I translated this well ] after winning the Pride OWGP belt. I wasn't happy even with my first UFC performance. This time I also didn't decide to engage an exchange of punches. I didn't have warrior spirit in me. I was lost."
He adds that besides no initiative, he also didn't have a strategy.
"All of that didn't have anything to do with the quality of my preparations and the shape I was in, but it had to do with my focus on the fight and my opponent. Before the fight I was nervous, I was thinking about all sorts of stupid things, I was just in a bad state. Unfortunately, I seem to be that type. I need a rough wake-up call in order to focus again."
He says he didn't even see the high-kick:
"After 3 or 4 elbows to the temple, I had blurry vision when I stood up."
Mirko is announcing changes in his training session. He is going to introduce elbows and elbow defence, which wasn't present in Pride.
"I'm not used to elbows, but that's my problem. I'm also goint to do exercises for my injured ankles."

Quote:
Croatian fighter Mirko Cro Cop is healing consequences of a hard defeat to Gabriel Gonzaga in the UFC 70 tournament in Manchester, Great Britain. Shocking pictures of unconscious Cro Cop lying in the cage looked unreal since we were used to see exactly the opposite ones for years.
Mirko had similar experiences with Kevin Randleman in Pride and Michael McDonald in K-1. He lost by KO to both of them [that's not true, although it says so in the article], and both times he succeeded to comeback to the top. Although his charisma got seriously hurt, if not destroyed, Mirko claims he has the motivation and strength for a new comeback.

Q: Do you feel any health consequences from Manchester episode?
A: I don't have headaches, nor any visible consequences from Gonzaga's high-kick. If it weren't for the pain in the right ankle, I'd already be training. However, I have to passively rest for two weeks. The ankle is swollen, but I don't think anything is broken, otherwise I wouldn't be able to walk. Still, I'll go to see a doctor one of these days and have it scanned."

Q: You seemed absent in the cage?
A: I wasn't myself against Gonzaga. I just couldn't decide to begin an exchange of punches, to go forward. Something similar happened to me in my last fight vs. Sanchez, but I still won that fight. These things happen to me in cycles. First I learn a lesson in the ring, then I go wild and win in streaks. However, there are no alibies for this defeat, and I am not looking for any.

Q: What determined the outcome?
A: Gonzaga's elbows to my temple. When I got up, my vision was blurry and I didn't even see that right high-kick.

Q: Did you make any mistakes in the preparation for the fight?
A: The preparations were great and are not the problem. Right before the fight I was apathetic, no good, couldn't focus and I fought without any strategy.

Q: What will your future in the UFC look like?
A: I will definitely come back stronger. It's out of place to talk about the belt, but I will respect the contract. Of course, provided there are no new injuries. However, I don't know what could make me fight more after I work off the remaining 4 fights.

Q: When can we expect you back in the ring?
A: I believe I'll fight again in the UFC at the end of August or beginning of September. I expect to get a chance to rematch Gonzaga. Thanks to everyone who came to Manchester for me, and all who called me wishing me good luck. I got more than 200 calls and I couldn't answer everyone.

OU4LIFE
4/24/2007, 08:06 AM
The guy who beat Cro Cop (Gabe Gonzaga) would get beat down nine times out of ten by Fedor.

Dude, you are SO wrong here.

Fedor would take all 10 of those. 9 by submission.

Sooner_Bob
4/24/2007, 10:28 PM
Anyone know what the future holds for Fedor? Is he scheduled to fight on an upcoming UFC or Pride event anytime soon?

Sooner_Bob
4/24/2007, 10:45 PM
You guys need to watch this . . . it's hilarious. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdYvabv54UU)

KC//CRIMSON
4/24/2007, 10:56 PM
Anyone know what the future holds for Fedor? Is he scheduled to fight on an upcoming UFC or Pride event anytime soon?

He just fought two weeks ago. The link to the video is in this thread. Other than that, this is all they have so far - http://www.pridefc.com/pride2005/schedule.htm

In other news, Big Nog is coming over to the UFC. This should be really interesting. (and by interesting, I mean we'll see what he has left in the tank, the guy has been in some MAJOR battles through out his career) He's still one of the best around and his ground game is second to none.) Scroll down to see his fight resume.:cool:

http://www.pridefc.com/pride2005/index.php?mainpage=fighters&fID=116

Sooner_Bob
4/24/2007, 11:21 PM
He just fought two weeks ago. The link to the video is in this thread. Other than that, this is all they have so far - http://www.pridefc.com/pride2005/schedule.htm

Yeah, I saw that fight . . . I really hope he doesn't stay with BoDog. But why wouldn't he just stay close to home, fight and still get paid?