PDA

View Full Version : OU/TX to Play in Dallas' Cotton Bowl through 2015

cjames317
4/19/2007, 12:46 PM
According to the "Ticket". Laura Miller will formally announce this tomorrow morning at 9:00.

Octavian
4/19/2007, 12:47 PM
good

SoonerRecon
4/19/2007, 12:54 PM
my legs are starting to cramp just thinking about it. hopefully with that 50 million renovation they can add another urinal

silverwheels
4/19/2007, 01:43 PM
Awesome. That's where the game should be.

AlabamaSooner
4/19/2007, 01:46 PM
Awesome....keep it at the State Fair.

Dio
4/19/2007, 01:55 PM
Score one for tradition

fwsooner22
4/19/2007, 01:58 PM
Announcement to be on the 50 yard line of the Cotton Bowl. Hope nobody has use the restroom.

I will be too old to worry about it by the time this comes up again.

Hooray for Tradition. Way to go Joe C. and What's his name.

tfoolry
4/19/2007, 02:19 PM
Texas-OU to stay at Cotton Bowl

02:17 PM CDT on Thursday, April 19, 2007
By CHRIS HEINBAUGH / WFAA-TV and DAVE LEVINTHAL / The Dallas Morning News

Dallas Mayor Laura Miller will announce Friday that the future of the Texas-OU game at the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair will be extended through 2015, several Dallas officials said Thursday.

Also Online
Archive: Cotton bowl faces uncertain future

Tell Us: Where should the game be played?
Those officials, who did not wish to be named, said the announcement will be made at a 9 a.m. Friday news conference on the 50-year line of the Cotton Bowl.

The Grambling-Prairie View game, which also is played at the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair, also will be extended through 2015 as well.

"We're going to have some good news to share with the world tomorrow." said a city official familiar with city negotiations with the two schools.

City Council member Mitchell Rasansky confirmed that Ms. Miller twice called him Thursday morning.

“What she basically said is that they reached an agreement through 2015,” Mr. Rasanksy said.

Businessman Pete Schenkel, who’s helped lead negotiations to reach a contract extension for the Texas/OU game, confirmed that there would be an announcement Friday about the Texas/OU game.

He declined to offer details, saying, “I will talk to you tomorrow about it, but just not today. It wouldn’t be the right thing.”

The new contracts – which must be approved by the City Council – include a boost in financial incentives for the two schools, some from funds currently going to the Cotton Bowl Association for the ATT Cotton Bowl Classic. That game is moving to the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Arlington in 2010.

The officials said the contract extension was a direct result of renovations now underway at the aging stadium.

"It is a direct result of our willingness to spend the money to invest in the Cotton Bowl," another official said. "This contract wouldn't have happened without it."

The officials praised Mayor Miller and her negotiating committee in securing the game. The Mayor's office says she will have no comment until Friday's news conference.

In February, organizers of the 77-year-old stadium’s namesake game, the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic, announced they’d move the annual contest to the Dallas Cowboys’ new retractable-roof stadium in Arlington. The move is scheduled to take effect in 2010.

The announcement sowed doubt in the minds of some city leaders about the stadium’s long-term viability. Several Dallas mayoral candidates, for example, have talked of considering withholding the $30 million in “Phase II” stadium improvements unless current or new football tenants signed extended contracts to play in at the Cotton Bowl.

In a Dallas Morning News poll conducted in March, 48 percent of respondent said Dallas shouldn’t used $30 million in public bond money to renovate and upgrade the Cotton Bowl. About 40 percent of respondents said the city should spent the money.

The $30 million in planned improvements would follow an initial, $20 million improvement phase already underway and funded jointly by Dallas City Hall and the State Fair of Texas. This first phase includes an already-installed video scoreboard and the replacement of nearly all of the stadium’s seats.

But several colleges who don’t currently play at the Cotton Bowl have for months been considering playing annual or periodic football there, wooed by State Fair of Texas, business and city officials. The schools include Texas A&M University, Texas Tech University, the University of Notre Dame, Oklahoma State University, Baylor University and Louisiana State University, State Fair officials say.

City and State Fair officials have also expressed hope of attracting college football conference championship games and international-class soccer contests to a renovated Cotton Bowl.

City-owned Fair Park, inside which the Cotton Bowl stands, is itself undergoing a slate of renovations, funded by tens of millions of dollars in voter-approved bond funds, as well as State Fair funds.

[email protected], [email protected]

colleyvillesooner
4/19/2007, 02:19 PM
Awesome.

soonernation
4/19/2007, 02:34 PM
OU-Texas to stay at Cotton Bowl

Dallas Mayor Laura Miller will announce Friday that the future of the OU-Texas game at the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair will be extended through 2015, several Dallas officials said Thursday.

Also Online
Archive: Cotton bowl faces uncertain future

Tell Us: Where should the game be played?
Those officials, who did not wish to be named, said the announcement will be made at a 9 a.m. Friday news conference on the 50-year line of the Cotton Bowl.

The Grambling-Prairie View game, which also is played at the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair, also will be extended through 2015 as well.

"We're going to have some good news to share with the world tomorrow." said a city official familiar with city negotiations with the two schools.

City Council member Mitchell Rasansky confirmed that Ms. Miller twice called him Thursday morning.

“What she basically said is that they reached an agreement through 2015,” Mr. Rasanksy said.

Businessman Pete Schenkel, who’s helped lead negotiations to reach a contract extension for the OU/Texas game, confirmed that there would be an announcement Friday about the OU/Texas game.

He declined to offer details, saying, “I will talk to you tomorrow about it, but just not today. It wouldn’t be the right thing.”

The new contracts – which must be approved by the City Council – include a boost in financial incentives for the two schools, some from funds currently going to the Cotton Bowl Association for the ATT Cotton Bowl Classic. That game is moving to the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Arlington in 2010.

The officials said the contract extension was a direct result of renovations now underway at the aging stadium.

"It is a direct result of our willingness to spend the money to invest in the Cotton Bowl," another official said. "This contract wouldn't have happened without it."

The officials praised Mayor Miller and her negotiating committee in securing the game. The Mayor's office says she will have no comment until Friday's news conference.

In February, organizers of the 77-year-old stadium’s namesake game, the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic, announced they’d move the annual contest to the Dallas Cowboys’ new retractable-roof stadium in Arlington. The move is scheduled to take effect in 2010.

The announcement sowed doubt in the minds of some city leaders about the stadium’s long-term viability. Several Dallas mayoral candidates, for example, have talked of considering withholding the $30 million in “Phase II” stadium improvements unless current or new football tenants signed extended contracts to play in at the Cotton Bowl.

In a Dallas Morning News poll conducted in March, 48 percent of respondent said Dallas shouldn’t used $30 million in public bond money to renovate and upgrade the Cotton Bowl. About 40 percent of respondents said the city should spent the money.

The $30 million in planned improvements would follow an initial, $20 million improvement phase already underway and funded jointly by Dallas City Hall and the State Fair of Texas. This first phase includes an already-installed video scoreboard and the replacement of nearly all of the stadium’s seats.

But several colleges who don’t currently play at the Cotton Bowl have for months been considering playing annual or periodic football there, wooed by State Fair of Texas, business and city officials. The schools include Texas A&M University, Texas Tech University, the University of Notre Dame, Oklahoma State University, Baylor University and Louisiana State University, State Fair officials say.

City and State Fair officials have also expressed hope of attracting college football conference championship games and international-class soccer contests to a renovated Cotton Bowl.

City-owned Fair Park, inside which the Cotton Bowl stands, is itself undergoing a slate of renovations, funded by tens of millions of dollars in voter-approved bond funds, as well as State Fair funds.

[email protected], [email protected]

I had a hard time reading it so I fixed some mistakes.

The_Red_Patriot
4/19/2007, 02:38 PM
THANK GOD!

htownsooner7
4/19/2007, 02:47 PM
Check me out at the game last year. http://www.newsok.com/article/2952707/?template=sports/ou. This was in the Oklahoman. Can anyone help me locate some tickets in the OU section this year so I don't have to deal with that again. I will pay fairly. Seriously. Sitting with those folks was a threat to their and my health numerous times. That picture was taken right when they were all yelling at AD as he ran right in front of them before the game. I had to represent..

auto
4/19/2007, 04:06 PM
Praise Jesus. Don't want to give Jerry a dime.

John Kochtoston
4/19/2007, 09:17 PM
Texas-OU to stay at Cotton Bowl

Hot Damn!

utex74
4/19/2007, 10:29 PM
I haven't heard anything yet on the subject of this being the first year the home team can select which end of the Cotton Bowl to occupy. Speaking only for myself, I hope Dodds does not choose to exercise that right. I am used to our respective sides, have watched lots of wins (and losses) from our end and it just wouldn't feel right to be on your end of the stadium. As far as you guys taunting our team on their way through the tunnel, if it has any effect at all I think it would be positive as far as getting fired up. And I am pretty sure you would like to stay put as well.

All change is not good.

(if it does not start this year I'm sure someone will correct me)

Suerreal
4/20/2007, 12:04 AM
I'm glad to see that the tradition will continue. I'll have to update my webpage:
Red River Rivalry (http://www.wingingit.us/sports/sooners/redriver.html)

- Sue

goingoneight
4/20/2007, 01:18 AM
This just in, OU/TX to be played through 3015!!! :eek:

Better break out those blueprints, Dallas. :D

goingoneight
4/20/2007, 01:24 AM
Eat it, Jerry World... if I wanted to watch a game in your luxurious stadium, I'll go watch a Cowboys game. Don't fark with tradition...

TexasLidig8r
4/20/2007, 08:50 AM
I haven't heard anything yet on the subject of this being the first year the home team can select which end of the Cotton Bowl to occupy. Speaking only for myself, I hope Dodds does not choose to exercise that right. I am used to our respective sides, have watched lots of wins (and losses) from our end and it just wouldn't feel right to be on your end of the stadium. As far as you guys taunting our team on their way through the tunnel, if it has any effect at all I think it would be positive as far as getting fired up. And I am pretty sure you would like to stay put as well.

All change is not good.

(if it does not start this year I'm sure someone will correct me)

UTex.. apparently it's already a done deal. We will have the tunnel side in 2007.

And.. it feels VERY unnatural to sit on that side. I sat there for the Texas - LSU Cotton Bowl. The feel of the game is very different.

And.. for the entire game, I had this craving for pork rinds and wanting to live in a trailer for some reason... I dont know why.... ;)

leavingthezoo
4/20/2007, 11:37 AM
And.. for the entire game, I had this craving for pork rinds and wanting to live in a trailer for some reason... I dont know why.... ;)

see? it's already making you guys aim higher.

colleyvillesooner
4/20/2007, 11:53 AM
UTex.. apparently it's already a done deal. We will have the tunnel side in 2007.

And.. it feels VERY unnatural to sit on that side. I sat there for the Texas - LSU Cotton Bowl. The feel of the game is very different.

I hear ya. I hope they don't forget to set out the silver spoons on our side to shove up our asses, to get that real "Texas" feel to the game.

OUDoc
4/20/2007, 12:22 PM
That's the native texan in you.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/20/2007, 01:39 PM
the DMN reported today that each school will be getting $850,000, compared to $250,000 that they used to get. That should help make up lost revenue from home-home.

utex74
4/20/2007, 03:46 PM
I hear ya. I hope they don't forget to set out the silver spoons on our side to shove up our asses, to get that real "Txas" feel to the game.

Between this and txLidig8ter that is some funny stuff!!

TAFBSooner
4/24/2007, 07:56 PM
Here's the 2005 briefing (http://www.dallascityhall.com/council_briefings/briefings/120505_CottonBowl.pdf) to Dallas City Council, resulting in this month’s announcement.

Old pictures, upgrade details, assurances that the schools have to sign up first, and renderings of the new additions to the Cotton Bowl.

SicEmBaylor
4/26/2007, 12:38 AM
see? it's already making you guys aim higher.
You da man Lid, but that's pretty damned funny right there ^.

CrimsonandCreamForever
4/26/2007, 03:14 AM

All the other schools on this list, I can kinda understand, but why would the domers care about playing in Dallas?:confused: