PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with Southwest...fly ExpressJet!

SoonerStormchaser
4/19/2007, 12:45 PM
Ok...before I begin my next rant on Southwest...here's the original complaint:
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91987

Now...here's the rest of the story...

Because of the aforementioned (in the other thread) mechanical delay, the plane was running over 1.5 hours late on Friday when it landed in Austin. The flight then got delayed even further because of the nasty weather moving through Dallas (and we all know what happens to the Dallas area airports when severe weather even comes within 50 miles of them...that's right, they SHUT DOWN). Soooooo...the delay got ballooned to over 3 hours.

Mrs. SoonerStormchaser called me when I got to El Paso...she and my stepdaughter were checked in at OKC just in case the flight was only a few minutes late...but no one at the Southwest counter told her that it would probably be 9:40 before she left (original departure of 7:35).

Here's the long and short of what happened afterward (as written to me by my wife):
1. Flight was delayed early in the morning…..mechanical?
2. Delay only showed 30 minute(?) delay when I headed to airport.
3. Once at the airport, it was showing an hour delay…..then a hour later….another hour, then another. They stated weather delay.
4. Announcements at airport were that it was on a ATC hold at Austin (announced that twice)….then we heard Dallas was having bad weather…..then we heard that the plane had left Austin….then we heard that the plane was sitting at the airport unable to get a gate at Dallas. We heard that the plane was in route to OKC….and we were expected to leave at 11:05PM…but then they told us at 10:45 that another SWA plane would be arriving at our gate and that was NOT going to be our plane….they were using that gate to deplane another flight….then they had to move that plane out of the way for ours to get the gate….while NONE of the other gates were being used for other flights. At this point, we were the only ones in that area of the airport.
5. When the delays first started, I acquired about whether or not our flight would be making it at all…..they said that a cancellation would NOT be likely in our case. Then I asked about them putting me on a USAirways flight that left at 10:30PM (the same current departure time as the SWA flight)….but it was a non-stop flight. They told me that they don’t share with that airlines, but they could refund my money on my flight instead.
6. They called all the people going on to Vegas up to the podium and told each of us that the flight would not be going to Vegas that night (they could not tell me why)….it would terminate in PHX….and offered us lodging choices in OKC or PHX. I chose PHX and got a Hilton voucher and a $10 food voucher (both for 2 people). I asked them if I went to Phoenix if we would get our luggage….she said yes…that the luggage could not get to Vegas because the flight terminated there.
7. Our flight didn’t leave OKC until 11:30PM and arrived around 11:30PM (Phoenix time). Our bags did not come out on the conveyor belt. Went to luggage services (along with A LOT of other people) and found out that our luggage was being held until the first flight out the next day. They told me that it would take 45 minutes to an hour to locate the bags and get them to us. Meanwhile we were TIRED (was 1:30AM central time) and needed to catch the shuttle bus. I called the Hilton people for the shuttle….and then we waited 30 minutes (not secure area) for it to show up. It was 1AM Phoenix time before we went to sleep.
8. Vegas passengers were treated like crap….they acted like the flight was originally terminating in Phoenix….apologized to the passengers for getting them to their destination late…..without apologizing to us that didn’t get to OUR destination!
9. I lost out on my $300/night reservation in Vegas. Was apart from my husband for 12 extra hours out of a less than 48 hour time frame.
Other passengers were offered toiletry kits…..we got nothing
10. The Hilton’s shuttle only runs on the half hour and hour….so we had to be downstairs at 6:25 AM to catch the shuttle to be at the airport to check in and get our boarding passes to catch the 7:20AM flight. The hotel’s restaurant didn’t open that early….so our food vouchers were worthless. Spent mega bucks at the airport on snack crap.
11. I asked the agent that morning if they had applied that flight to my RR account and he took my RR card….checked the number and told me it was on there…..he lied.

So the long and short of it is that, because of the fact that Southwest flies mechanical disasters through Dallas, Mother Nature caught them with their pants down...and my wife and stepdaughter got screwed majorly out of nearly HALF their weekend trip to Las Vegas...while I'm holed up by myself in a $350 a night room at Paris.
Southwest is about to get a massive complaint letter from me and my wife...and I'm done flying them for the forseeable future unless I get one hell of an apology.

On that note...I flew ExpressJet from Ontario, CA (connecting from a Southwest flight from LAS-ONT) to here (SAT) last Sunday. If there's anyone up in OKC who flies here (or the LA area...or Albuquerque...or that ****hole 50 miles north of me) regularly, FLY EXPRESSJET!!! It may be only a 50-seat Embraer ERJ-145, but you get the following in-flight services:
1. FREE MEALS!!!
2. FREE SATELLITE RADIO (do you know of any other airline that flies regional jets that has IFE?)
3. $1 BEERS (yes, we're talking the whole can)

Ok...I'm done...back to Nav School.

Mjcpr
4/19/2007, 12:46 PM
Wow, that really ****ed you off didn't it?

:D

SoonerStormchaser
4/19/2007, 12:49 PM
Ya think?

I was even talking to the FA's on my Southwest flight to Ontario about all the crap going on...they were :stunned:

soonerbrat
4/19/2007, 12:53 PM
I flew USAirways on the way back from Vegas last time...I made it to PHX, but the plane was over the weight limit, so they asked for volunteers to stay in PHX overnight...in exchange for a hotel voucher and a round trip ticket anywhere in the lower 48...the difference between being over the weight limit and under was 5 people. now THAT is scary

on that same trip, my friends flew with worryfreevacations.com - they had to land in tulsa because of bad weather in OKC..their flight was canceled after a while and it turned out that worry free was not so worry free..they left them to fend for themselves in tulsa, no hotel, no flight, no rental car.

Mixer!
4/19/2007, 02:45 PM
heh. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18024484/)

StoopTroup
4/19/2007, 03:35 PM
SW is the fun airline.

Scott D
4/19/2007, 03:48 PM
Personally I'm waiting for you to just start your own airline since you will probably hate ExpressJet in the next month or two.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
4/19/2007, 04:26 PM
My sister-in-law's boyfriend just got hired as a pilot for XJet! Both are great airlines though.

mdklatt
4/19/2007, 04:31 PM
but the plane was over the weight limit, so they asked for volunteers to stay in PHX overnight

A flight to OKC overweight? Nah, couldn't be! :D

mdklatt
4/19/2007, 04:43 PM
(and we all know what happens to the Dallas area airports when severe weather even comes within 50 miles of them...that's right, they SHUT DOWN).

If severe weather is effecting one of the departure corridors the traffic managment folks will institute a ground stop. Or, you might have a ground stop because of severe weather effecting the arrival at your destination. They don't shut the airports down unless something is on top of the airport (and technically the airport still isn't shut down; a pilot can still request a takeoff or landing clearning at his own risk).

The reason airline personnel give you for any delays is often wrong, either beause they don't know or they're making stuff up. Not surprisingly, the reason for a delay is usually blamed on weather or ATC, even if it's the airline's fault. We were being told that a flight was being delayed by weather, even though there was no significant weather anywhere close to the route of flight, or indeed anywhere in the airspace we would be flying through. They stuck to their story until a flight crew came running to the gate. The delay had nothing to do with weather, and everything to do with our flight crew being delayed on their inbound flight.

SoonerStormchaser
4/19/2007, 10:28 PM
Yah klatt...that's happened to me a LOT on jetBlue...

SoonerStormchaser
4/21/2007, 11:04 AM
UPDATE:

Well ladies and gentleman...I flew up here last night...my flight from Houston-Hobby to here was delayed an hour.

Anyone care to guess why? That's right...MECHANICAL!

Oh, and if you're flying tomorrow on the last Southwest flight from here to Love Field and from Love Field to San Antonio...you're screwed cause I'm on it.

My last foreseeable flight on Southwest will be next Friday...then I'm switching to ExpressJet.

Frozen Sooner
4/21/2007, 11:15 AM
So, you'd prefer that they just take off with mechanical trouble?

SoonerStormchaser
4/21/2007, 11:35 AM
Would you prefer to keep flying on planes that have lots of mechanical trouble?

Frozen Sooner
4/21/2007, 11:37 AM
Well, no. That's why I'm glad they keep them on the ground until they get them fixed.

SoonerStormchaser
4/21/2007, 12:44 PM
You totally missed my point.

Scott D
4/21/2007, 01:09 PM
I'd prefer if you never flied again. Clearly the only consistency in this matter is you tend to **** up flights :D

SoonerStormchaser
4/21/2007, 03:38 PM
Well...then pray for our military...cause they're screwed with me becoming a nav.

royalfan5
4/21/2007, 03:41 PM
Well...then pray for our military...cause they're screwed with me becoming a nav.
You'll only be navigating one flight at a time though, right? So the other planes will be fine then.

Scott D
4/21/2007, 05:48 PM

well with your track record it'll probably be a short stint before they decide it's safer to put you in a forgotten bunker that has already had the tactical warhead removed ;)

Jerk
4/21/2007, 05:53 PM
I hate riding in the back of an airliner.

You almost have to be a Baptist or a Hot-Air ballon pilot to want to do that. Really, you have no control over your own fate.

With that said, I'd stick to SW. They have an excellant safety record.

Penguin
4/21/2007, 05:58 PM
Almost any mechanical writeup can ground a flight. I was a dispatcher with a commuter airline. My favorite incident was when a pilot wrote up a broken radar on a plane in Lancaster, PA. His next flight was to Pittsburgh and there wasn't a single shower in the eastern half of the US. Maintenance begged him not to write it up. He did anyway.

Here's a clue. Airlines don't have maintenance workers at every stop. We had to call in a contract maintenance worker. It was a Sunday and he didn't believe in working on Sundays. Luckily, we always had a stand-by plane with a stand-by crew at all times in PIT. That was a 2 or 3 hour inconvenience for some passengers. We would have been screwed if that stand-by plane was tango uniform, too.

Oh, I have all kinds of wonderful stories. But, if I told them all, people wouldn't want to fly anymore.

SoonerStormchaser
4/21/2007, 09:41 PM
Stand-by plane...now there's a thought...especially since the mechanicals occur at a location where their CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS are also located.

SoonerStormchaser
4/22/2007, 07:26 PM
THE SAGA CONTINUES!

My flight to Dallas was supposed to be leaving right now! So why am I still at home? CAUSE OF A GAWDAMN ATC delay in LAS VEGAS!!! I'll be lucky as hell if they hold my plane in Dallas for San Antonio...or else I'm royally screwed.

I swear to God...if a butterfly flaps his wings in China...my flights get delayed!

Scott D
4/22/2007, 09:46 PM
yep, it's you.

SoonerGirl06
4/22/2007, 09:58 PM
THE SAGA CONTINUES!

My flight to Dallas was supposed to be leaving right now! So why am I still at home? CAUSE OF A GAWDAMN ATC delay in LAS VEGAS!!! I'll be lucky as hell if they hold my plane in Dallas for San Antonio...or else I'm royally screwed.

I swear to God...if a butterfly flaps his wings in China...my flights get delayed!

I'd start carrying a lucky rabbits foot if I were you.

By the way... could notify me of any future plans to fly out of DFW? I want to make sure I'm on a totally different flight than yours.

Nothing personal of course... :D

SoonerStormchaser
4/22/2007, 11:42 PM
Ok ladies and gents...here's the flight plan for this next weekend:

Friday
Southwest to Houston-Hobby, leaving San Anton around 6:50 pm...connecting to Oklahoma City, arriving around 9:40 pm.
**NOTE- This'll be my LAST Southwest flights for awhile...as I'm gonna give them some time off to recover from the rash of mechanicals that seems to plague them when I fly.**
Sunday
I'm flying Northwest through Memphis, departing OKC around 3:50 pm and arriving in San Anton around 9:40 pm.

Now for the big warning:

If you're flying ExpressJet from SAT-OKC on Friday evenings for the ENTIRE MONTH OF MAY and/or flying ExpressJet from OKC-SAT on Sunday evenings for the ENTIRE MONTH OF MAY, you are hereby warned that I am on those flights.

Now you know...so stay clear. And Norm...WHAT THE HELL DID YOU GIVE ME??

TheHumanAlphabet
4/23/2007, 10:31 AM
This is why I will NEVER, EVER fly SWA. Not a great airline, IMO. Not to say this couldn't and hasn't happened on a Main Line carrier, but atleast, you can build up status and have some perks, not the case with Southworst.

I hope Expressjet works out. I hated those EMB 145 when they flew for Continental, too small for the long hauls they were doing, but the new amenities seem really good. I wonder if Continental would have dumped them if they had those amenities when they were Continenetal Express. BTW, The EMB 145 have been replaced with CRJs - not good.

SoonerStormchaser
4/23/2007, 11:55 PM
So Dean, how is AA going for ya?