PDA

View Full Version : Holy Carp

sanantoniosooner
4/19/2007, 08:10 AM
link (http://www.kmov.com/topstories/stories/kmov_topstories_070418_scalping.200d0aeb.html)

Go-kart scalps woman

02:47 PM CDT on Wednesday, April 18, 2007

KING 5 News

Grand Prix has received at least two warnings from L&I in four years

LAKEWOOD, Wash. – It appeared to be simply a freak accident.

A family's night out at a go-kart raceway in Pierce County turned tragic after a woman was scalped by the go-kart she was driving.

But now, Faye Brown's family is learning what happened to her isn't so rare, and they're trying to prevent it from happening again.

Back in January, the Browns decided to try out the go-karts at Grand Prix Raceway in Lakewood. Faye Brown was in a go-kart by herself. She was wearing a helmet with her long ponytail hanging behind her.

"She was in the first group," says Faye's husband Greg. "I believe she was one of the first cars coming around in the first lap."

All of the sudden, something went wrong.

"I saw a go-kart and a bald headed person leaning over, and it was my wife," says Greg.

Faye's ponytail had gotten caught in the spinning rear axle of the go-kart – her scalp ripped from her head.

What was left is gruesome to describe.

"Her bare bone skull was exposed," says Greg. "It was gone, all the way down to the skull."

Faye, whose long black mane was her pride and joy, has spent the last four months going through skin grafts and physical therapy for whiplash.

"Her long hair was her crowning glory," says Greg. "It was her identity and to have so violently ripped off her head, she could have been killed in this thing."

KING 5 has learned at the time of the accident, Grand Prix was operating without a permit. They declined to talk to KING 5 on camera.

Grand Prix has received at least two warnings from the Department of Labor and Industries in the last four years. It wasn't until L&I ordered the company to cease operations last month that it underwent an inspection. Grand Prix was forced to make changes and was finally granted a permit by the state.

Among the changes after Grand Prix reopened were the track rules sign, which included a rule to properly secure hair.

In a written statement, the company says it "has always strived to ensure its patron's safety," and that they "flew in (an inspector) from Florida in order to complete the inspection in a timely fashion."

The Browns are taking action. They have contacted the State Attorney General's Office and have hired an attorney.

"We're going to do everything we can to find out what happened," says Brown. "And make sure it doesn't happen again, because she's not the first."

L&I says the prosecutor's office could pursue misdemeanor charges against Grand Prix for operating without a permit.

There have been a number of similar accidents at go-kart facilities around the world. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, at least two young girls have been killed.

OUDoc
4/19/2007, 08:13 AM
Ouch.

OU4LIFE
4/19/2007, 08:22 AM
man, that sucks.

but if your hair is your 'crowning glory'...well...

sanantoniosooner
4/19/2007, 08:26 AM
man, that sucks.

but if your hair is your 'crowning glory'...well...
eerily similar to a biblical story of Absalom, who was terribly proud of his hair and died in battle because he got it caught in a tree while fleeing on a donkey

He himself, having long hair, was caught by his hair in the boughs of an oak-tree, and as David had strictly charged his men to deal gently with the young man, Joab was informed. What a common soldier refused to do even for a thousand shekels of silver, the king's general at once undertook. Joab thrust three spears through the heart of Absalom as he struggled in the branches and his ten armour-bearers came around and slew him.

yermom
4/19/2007, 08:39 AM
well, i know where i'm not going in Washington

OU4LIFE
4/19/2007, 09:07 AM

you could just get a haircut, hippie.

soonerboomer93
4/19/2007, 11:07 AM

aww c'mon, "exposed skull cap" is the new tribal tattoo

beat the rush and expose it early

MamaMia
4/19/2007, 11:20 AM
This is one law suit I would not call 'frivolous'. :eek:

sanantoniosooner
4/19/2007, 11:23 AM
I wish the story would have given some details about reattachment. I'm sure they sewed it back on.

StuIsTheMan
4/19/2007, 11:23 AM

And it is the Single Mom Capitol of the World...

yermom
4/19/2007, 11:24 AM
This is one law suit I would not call 'frivolous'. :eek:

i don't how much i agree, i mean tame your mane, Beyonce

of course i've had similar yet much less dramatic things happen :O

yermom
4/19/2007, 11:26 AM
And it is the Single Mom Capitol of the World...

is that a euphemism? :D

http://www.mofos.net/isupportsinglemomstshirt.gif

Hatfield
4/19/2007, 11:28 AM
http://www.uwm.edu/~ambauter/carp.bmp

StuIsTheMan
4/19/2007, 11:44 AM
is that a euphemism? :D

http://www.mofos.net/isupportsinglemomstshirt.gif

Nah that does not apply...the strip clubs there are the SUCC...Portland has way better ones

StoopTroup
4/19/2007, 03:50 PM
"We're going to do everything we can to find out what happened," says Brown. "And make sure it doesn't happen again, because she's not the first."

Don't they know what happened?