PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning: Remember

Okla-homey
4/19/2007, 05:46 AM
April 19, 1995: OKC Bombing

http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/15555/2002511137856244407_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2002511137856244407)
CHARLES H. PORTER IV/Associated Press file photo
Oklahoma City fire Capt. Chris Fields carries 1-year-old Baylee Almon, injured in the bombing at the Alfred Murrah Federal Building in downtown Oklahoma City on April 19, 1995. The child later died of her injuries. The photograph won the Pulitzer Prize for photographer Charles H. Porter IV.

Xstnlsooner
4/19/2007, 07:17 AM
I remember this picture so well and how it tore my heart. The lowest
parts of hell are reserved for the depraved such as McVie and the
like! If you're the father of a daughter, you know what I mean.

OU4LIFE
4/19/2007, 07:19 AM
no words.

85Sooner
4/19/2007, 07:57 AM
Happy thirteenth birthday Baylee. I believe she had turned one the day before the tragedy. We havn't forgotten you or the other 167 members of our family that went t see God that day. We never will forget.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
4/19/2007, 08:02 AM
I cannot believe it has already been 12 years. Seems like it was just yesterday. We Will Never Forget...God Bless OKC.

soonerbrat
4/19/2007, 08:02 AM
I will never forget.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
4/19/2007, 08:17 AM
I was just thinking...if you look at the week from April 16-April 22, it has to be one of the most violent weeks in history in terms of casaulties not caused be a war...

4/19/1993 - Waco raid ends in a fire at the Branch Dividian Compound
4/19/1995 - OKC Bombing
4/20/1999 - Columbine High School shooting
4/16/2007 - Virginia Tech shooting

Prayers to all...

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/19/2007, 08:23 AM
:(

I'm proud of us, though. We're a stronger...more proud people because of that day. We will always be an example...one of dignity and strength.

I love you, OKC.

TUSooner
4/19/2007, 09:04 AM
Out of that atrocity came OKC's "finest hour."

The city's reaction made me even prouder to be a Sooner

yermom
4/19/2007, 09:13 AM
i can't believe it's been that long

SoonerJack
4/19/2007, 10:10 AM
my throat hurts

SOONERKAT
4/19/2007, 10:12 AM
No matter how much time I've spent in OKC, and how many memories I have, this is the image that still lingers in my mind when I think of my home town. Whenever I get back there, I drive by the memorial to reflect. I thank God that my uncle was at the airport and not in his office that day. I pray for the families and the children.

Remember.

Bourbon St Sooner
4/19/2007, 10:19 AM
I'll never forget that day. I still remember our house shaking at the time the blast happened. I remember that first image as the Channel 9 helicopter veered around to the north side of the building. I remember standing in line for 3 hours the next day to give blood. It maybe wasn't the best use of time but you feel like you had to do something and that was about the only thing you could do.

picasso
4/19/2007, 10:24 AM
let us not forget Connie Chung.

thank you Connie, for your support, and stuff.

DalHorn
4/19/2007, 10:35 AM
I was sitting in my office in grad school at UNT when this happened. One of few memories from the 90's that's crystal clear.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
4/19/2007, 10:55 AM
I was in my 9th grade Physical Sciences class in Midwest City. We felt and heard the boom, but we just thought it was a sonic boom from Tinker. Later did we find out the real truth. I remember it being a beautiful morning and by the afternoon, it was raining, as if God was crying.

Sooner Eclipse
4/19/2007, 11:01 AM
Worked 5 blocks north of the site. Walked/ran down to see if I could help. As I came south on Robinson and the building came into view, well, still seems surreal after 12 years.

If I live to be 120, that will be one memory that will never leave me. Just stood there for what seems like forever. Don't live there anymore but I try to go by the memorial every time I'm home.

Jimminy Crimson
4/19/2007, 11:12 AM
The ceremony was nice this morning. A beautiful day to remember the 168.

stoopified
4/19/2007, 11:33 AM
I remember this picture so well and how it tore my heart. The lowest
parts of hell are reserved for the depraved such as McVie and the
like! If you're the father of a daughter, you know what I mean.
I have two sons age 3(Ryan James) and 10 days (Jason Charles) but I do undertand exactly what you mean.May the 168 be at peace in hEAVEN and may McVeigh rot in HELL.

ChickSoonerFan
4/19/2007, 11:38 AM
This is one of those things that seems like a lifetime ago yet the impact and memory of it feels like it was just yesterday.

Thoughts and prayers with all invovled....it changed so much.

Okla-homey
4/19/2007, 11:41 AM
I have two sons age 3(Ryan James) and 10 days (Jason Charles) but I do undertand exactly what you mean.May the 168 be at peace in hEAVEN and may McVeigh rot in HELL.

Yoiu know, for what its worth, I refuse to use the bastard's name, because in his twisted way, he derived pleasure from knowing his name was immortalized by his vile act. Instead, I just refer to him indirectly while always being careful to attach some kind of derogatory reference. But that's just me.

Rhino
4/19/2007, 11:49 AM
Can't believe it's been that long.

Dio
4/19/2007, 11:54 AM
I remember the day it happened, they would come on TV saying "The rescue workers need more work gloves, batteries, etc.". Then about an hour later, they'd come back on and say "we've got more of that stuff than we could ever use, quit bringing that and bring this other stuff." In my mind that was the day we went from being "crappy old OKC" to "Oklahoma City, By God!"

Jimminy Crimson
4/19/2007, 12:23 PM
By the way, for any of you in the metro area, there is no museum admission today, as in -- its free to go today.

NormanPride
4/19/2007, 12:40 PM
God Bless those lost, and God make us stronger through adversity.

soonersweetie
4/19/2007, 02:41 PM
I will always remember. Living out here in CA, everyone seemed so distant from it. Everyone but my family. I remember freaking out and spending all day glued to the tv. My son was the one that first saw it on tv that morning before school. He was 6 yrs old and he said mom, you might want to see this. I'm thinking what toy could he want now then I saw the Murrah bldg and just froze.

People out here in CA thought it was sad but just carried on like normal. I was amazed. I was like, how can you just go through your normal day and not be affected? I think it was because it was my connection to home, being born & raised in OK. Although I may not have known those people personally, they felt like my relatives.

To this day, I think of little Bailee Almon and all the little kids in the nursery and to some extent think of them as mine (even though they aren't).

What a horrific day that was.

Oh and if you haven't had the chance to tour the museum, it is a must. They did a wonderful job.

tulsaoilerfan
4/19/2007, 04:36 PM
I remember sitting there crying like a baby and thinking of all those poor children; my son was just over a year old then, and i couldn't quit thinking about how i would react if that was him in that photo; i think that's the most powerful photo i have ever seen.

Rogue
4/19/2007, 06:09 PM
Sophomore year at OU.

When they put the chain link fence around the site, the stuff (letters, stuffed animals, pictures, etc) that was stuck to it was gut-wrenching. Some people from what must have been every small town in America sent in very personal items and words that choked me up the times I went there.

OKC-SLC
4/19/2007, 09:10 PM
I hadn't seen that picture since we had a little girl 18 months ago. And I think, therefore, this is really the first time I've SEEN it.

:(

I'm proud of us, though. We're a stronger...more proud people because of that day. We will always be an example...one of dignity and strength.

I've always been a fan, BSG. And you're spot on, again.

King Crimson
4/19/2007, 09:18 PM
hard to believe that was 12 years ago, for sure.

McVeigh was arrested in Perry, where my paternal family is from. i remember watching the national media footage and seeing the Kumback Cafe in the background on the square in Perry.

so weird.

i also remember thinking that if the trial had not been moved to Denver, mcveigh would have been dead in a week or two. effin hillbilly style.

Soonerus
4/19/2007, 09:23 PM
Worked 5 blocks north of the site. Walked/ran down to see if I could help. As I came south on Robinson and the building came into view, well, still seems surreal after 12 years.

If I live to be 120, that will be one memory that will never leave me. Just stood there for what seems like forever. Don't live there anymore but I try to go by the memorial every time I'm home.

I worked downtown too...unreal, the thrust,the blast,the people, walking down the middle of Robinson on glass, being expelled from Downtown by noon....unbelievable...the carnage, the kids, the multiple sad stories, friends that died...I will never, never forget...

1stTimeCaller
4/19/2007, 11:41 PM
I renovated the Byron G. Rogers Courthouse where the bastard was tried and convicted. In a sick sense of whatever, I went in his holding cell and just sat there for about 30 minutes one day before we demo'd it.

It gave me a slight sense of satisfaction to know what a dirty, ****ty little cell that bastard had to sit in while being tried for killing my friend Rosslyn's mom, Peggy.

picasso
4/20/2007, 12:27 AM
hard to believe that was 12 years ago, for sure.

McVeigh was arrested in Perry, where my paternal family is from. i remember watching the national media footage and seeing the Kumback Cafe in the background on the square in Perry.

so weird.

i also remember thinking that if the trial had not been moved to Denver, mcveigh would have been dead in a week or two. effin hillbilly style.
the former Perry police chief who helped lead the procession out of the courthouse (famous played clip) moved to my hometown about 8 or so years ago. he was a nice guy and a lousy golfer. he died not long ago.

the big door of our oilfield supply building shook that morning. we're just 100 something miles from there.

Jimminy Crimson
4/20/2007, 03:59 AM
I pass by the OKC Nat'l Memorial just about every day, and I try to stop and walk around every now and again just to pay my respects, but I really can't believe it's been so long...

NEVER FORGET 4-19-95