PDA

View Full Version : NCAA may ban text messages

OSUAggie
4/18/2007, 12:22 PM
NCAA may ban text messages

INDIANAPOLIS — Coaches would no longer be allowed to send text messages to recruits under a rule change backed by an NCAA panel.

The NCAA's Division I management council backed the text-messaging ban during its meeting this week. The change will be considered for final approval by the Division I Board of Directors during its April 26 meeting, the NCAA said.

Unlike restrictions on phone calls and in-person visits, there are no coach limits on text messaging.

The text message ban was proposed by the Ivy League amid concerns from school officials and athletes about privacy and the cost recruits sometimes bear for the text messages.

Division I student-athletic advisory council chairwoman Anna Chappell, who played basketball at Arizona and is a graduate student at Oregon, said athletes backed the ban.

"It's intruding on their lives and creating inappropriate relationships with coaches,” Chappell said. "If you don't stop it now, what roads are you going to have to cross later on?”

Atlantic Coast Conference associate commissioner Shane Lyons said the ban would also eliminate loopholes, such as coaches using text-messaging to prod prospects to initiate telephone calls that are impermissible if made by the coach.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/18/2007, 12:36 PM
This will be good for aggie-light, since that technology has yet to make it to stoowater.

OUDoc
4/18/2007, 12:37 PM
Good. Friggin' text messages. :mad:

Rhino
4/18/2007, 12:58 PM
Welcome to 2001, NCAA.

fwsooner22
4/18/2007, 12:59 PM
Somebody at the NCAA office finally figured out how to use the technology

JDawg2303
4/18/2007, 01:25 PM
I think it's a good idea. Allowing text messages will put the NCAA in a precarious situation. Athletes and the schools typically will be charged for each text message. No big deal for the school but it is for the athlete. So either the athlete will be ****ed at the school for using their money or the school will offer to pay for the messages which would be in violation of the "no benefits" rule. Besides phone calls are already hard to monitor (I know OU got caught on this but seriously I bet nearly 80% of all major Universities break the rule at some point, just haven't been caught yet), it would be near impossible to monitor text messages

BASSooner
4/18/2007, 01:39 PM
go against me if you will but I honestly don't see a problem in text messaging. All of the universities do it and it is a recruiting strategy that is along the lines of a phone call. Now I would agree that a text message from an NFL player should be illegal but then again, it would be impossible to monitor that because prospects AND NFL players can erase their text message records.

OU-HSV
4/18/2007, 01:50 PM
Okay, so why ban it all together?....instead, why not just limit text messages as they do phone calls. Or am I misunderstanding this?

Ardmore_Sooner
4/18/2007, 01:53 PM
Can't they just grab someone elses phone to text message the person?

starrca23
4/18/2007, 01:55 PM
Good luck enforcing this!

MichiganSooner
4/18/2007, 02:10 PM
go against me if you will but I honestly don't see a problem in text messaging.

Are you Kelvin Sampson??

RedstickSooner
4/18/2007, 04:10 PM
Besides phone calls are already hard to monitor (I know OU got caught on this but seriously I bet nearly 80% of all major Universities break the rule at some point, just haven't been caught yet), it would be near impossible to monitor text messages

Don't text messages come with a time/date stamp? I would think this would be rather easy to monitor -- although you'd need some method in place of rewarding kids who report violations. Say, $500 if you forward an illegal text message to the NCAA compliance people.

Collier11
4/18/2007, 04:16 PM
go against me if you will but I honestly don't see a problem in text messaging. All of the universities do it and it is a recruiting strategy that is along the lines of a phone call. Now I would agree that a text message from an NFL player should be illegal but then again, it would be impossible to monitor that because prospects AND NFL players can erase their text message records.

The problem is that some players are getting 50 TM's a day from coaches all over the country

Rhino
4/18/2007, 04:20 PM
The problem is that some players are getting 50 TM's a day from coaches all over the country That, and it's really creepy when you hear about a coach 'txtmsgng' with a 17-year-old kid at 1:30 in the morning.

BASSooner
4/18/2007, 05:12 PM
The problem is that some players are getting 50 TM's a day from coaches all over the country
well they can just simply delete them.

yermom
4/18/2007, 05:17 PM

how do these coaches get the numbers?

citing student's privacy or costs, or whatever seems a bit silly

counting them as a call makes more sense, they certainly shouldn't be ignored like they currently are

how do they get phone records? couldn't a coach just go buy a pre-paid cell phone?

are they going to ban myspace and facebook next?

MamaMia
4/18/2007, 11:09 PM
Text messaging can get costly. I banned my daughters text message privileges and they're no worse for the wear. :D

BASSooner
4/19/2007, 01:19 AM
how do these coaches get the numbers?

High school coaches and parents

citing student's privacy or costs, or whatever seems a bit silly
Couldn't agree more

counting them as a call makes more sense, they certainly shouldn't be ignored like they currently are
couldn't agree more yet again

how do they get phone records? couldn't a coach just go buy a pre-paid cell phone?
They can simply delete inboxes and sent text messages. It is nearly impossible to monitor them unless the NCAA and the Federal government decide to work with each other.

are they going to ban myspace and facebook next
wouldn't be surprised

OSUAggie
4/19/2007, 01:21 AM
They can simply delete inboxes and sent text messages. It is nearly impossible to monitor them unless the NCAA and the Federal government decide to work with each other.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't text messages show up on the cell phone bill, regardless of whether or not they've been deleted from the inbox?

the dude
4/19/2007, 04:47 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't text messages show up on the cell phone bill, regardless of whether or not they've been deleted from the inbox?
Yup.

BASSooner
4/19/2007, 11:42 AM
Oh they do but they don't show WHO you have been texting to. It isn't even worthy of being evidence at all.

Rhino
4/19/2007, 11:44 AM
Oh they do but they don't show WHO you have been texting to. It isn't even worthy of being evidence at all. What, they've lost the ability to match people with telephone numbers?

You get an F+.

snp
4/19/2007, 12:18 PM
TISNF

Scott D
4/20/2007, 09:58 AM
makes RJ Mayo's mother look real smart by not allowing coaches to have RJ's cell number.

OSUAggie
4/20/2007, 09:59 AM
Who's RJ Mayo?

Scott D
4/20/2007, 01:08 PM
RJ, OJ....same difference.

Collier11
4/20/2007, 02:13 PM
:mack: :mack: :mack: :mack: :mack: :mack: :mack:

85sooners
4/20/2007, 04:19 PM
:eek:

Piware
4/21/2007, 12:49 AM
Mack Brown has been calling my phone sex number. Should I report it? :P

goingoneight
4/21/2007, 01:57 AM
Did RJ kill somebody??? :confused:

goingoneight
4/21/2007, 01:58 AM
Mack Brown has been calling my phone sex number. Should I report it? :P

Be careful not to get that "busted lip" he tends to give people. ;)

Soonerfan88
4/21/2007, 10:07 PM
I certainly think they should be restricted and monitored. There should be a limit on not only how many but also when they send them. There is absolutely no reason to text (or call) a kid during school hours or at 2am.