PDA

View Full Version : What would be more effective at deterring crime?

royalfan5
4/18/2007, 10:54 AM
Concealed weapons or to quote Merle and Willie, wearing your gun outside your pants for all the honest world to feel? I'm just curious to see what people think.

mdklatt
4/18/2007, 10:56 AM
Wearing a holster might deter more crime, but it would also make you the first target if something did happen.

Hatfield
4/18/2007, 11:00 AM
neither

IronSooner
4/18/2007, 11:12 AM
My grandfather's idea to curb hijackings and such was to issue everyone on each flight a handgun.

I would think concealing it would be more of a deterrent, just based on people's innate fear of the unknown.

frankensooner
4/18/2007, 11:16 AM
I think if everyone was walking around with holsters and guns, there might be more shootouts, especially in rush hour traffic. ;) Keep em concealed.

Frozen Sooner
4/18/2007, 11:17 AM
I think having a bunch of people with projectile weapons on a pressurized aluminum tube is kind of a bad idea. Air marshals and trained pilots I'm down with.

jk the sooner fan
4/18/2007, 11:18 AM
i used to carry a gun 24/7.....but had a badge to go with it

when i retired and switched jobs......the feeling of security i had for 15 years was gone, and knocking on some nappy headed ho's door became a little more stressful than in the past

i remember a day in san antonio, me and the fam were on our way to church and had a blowout on 281.....fella pulls over to help because the jack i was using collapsed due to the soft shoulder.....so we're in his trunk digging out his jack and he's got on his sunday go to church clothes, and sticking out from his back belt was a little .25 caliber, safely tucked away

personally, if people are going to carry guns, i'd rather them not be concealed.......just my preference....and i DO think it would be a deterrant

CUinNC
4/18/2007, 11:26 AM
CCW all the way.....

Story is coming out from VT, back last summer, they had the shooting occur off-campus (but it was close-by)...after that a lot of students petitioned to be able to protect themselves.

The University of course said no way....;)

crawfish
4/18/2007, 11:28 AM
Concealed weapons are a deterrent even when nobody around has them...

mdklatt
4/18/2007, 11:29 AM
Concealed weapons are a deterrent even when nobody around has them...

How do we know that for sure?

yermom
4/18/2007, 03:30 PM
people would certainly be more polite ;)

chicks should carry Derringers in their garters again

i like garters :D

crawfish
4/18/2007, 03:47 PM
How do we know that for sure?

Well, if we carried the guns in holsters then the bad guys would know when people didn't have guns...

achiro
4/18/2007, 03:53 PM
people would certainly be more polite ;)

chicks should carry Derringers in their garters again

i like garters :D
Yeah...well, I like CHICKS with garters

mdklatt
4/18/2007, 05:00 PM
Well, if we carried the guns in holsters then the bad guys would know when people didn't have guns...

How much crime is deterred by the that fact that somebody might have a concealed weapon on them? A rational, intelligent person would consider this possibility, but I don't think most crimes are committed by rational or intelligent people.

jk the sooner fan
4/18/2007, 05:13 PM
How much crime is deterred by the that fact that somebody might have a concealed weapon on them? A rational, intelligent person would consider this possibility, but I don't think most crimes are committed by rational or intelligent people.

right now, its next to zero......but arm the streets and let the citizens defense become rampant, and i think those irrational people start becoming a bit more rational

yermom
4/18/2007, 05:19 PM
of course, they may also just shoot the clerk at the 7-11 first before just asking for the register...

proud gonzo
4/18/2007, 05:57 PM
Wearing a holster might deter more crime, but it would also make you the first target if something did happen.
exactly.

How much crime is deterred by the that fact that somebody might have a concealed weapon on them? A rational, intelligent person would consider this possibility, but I don't think most crimes are committed by rational or intelligent people.yes, but even though many places do allow concealed carry permits to be issued, consider how many restrictions there are, still.

SoonerInFla
4/18/2007, 10:23 PM
Maybe a good start would be by putting criminals in jail and leaving em there awhile. This probation until you actually kill some folks isn't working.