PDA

View Full Version : Will Florida repeat as NC?

oupride
4/18/2007, 09:11 AM
Whats the chances Florida will repeat as football NC? They are rated high in pre-season and seems had another great recruiting class. I watched the spring game and the color guy had them in his top 5.

StuIsTheMan
4/18/2007, 09:14 AM
NO CHANCE IN HELL!!!

http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/521/vincemcmahonuf0.jpg (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/)

The_Red_Patriot
4/18/2007, 09:20 AM
I hope they arent Brett Hart

http://www.grandstandsports.com/images/11143.jpg

BEST THERE IS, BEST THERE WAS AND THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!

oKOIhoma fan
4/18/2007, 09:22 AM
How are they going to repeat if we are going to win it?

snp
4/18/2007, 09:25 AM
It's going to be reeeal tough to beat USC this year.

badger
4/18/2007, 09:36 AM
It's not true! It's DAMN not true!
http://library.thinkquest.org/CR0214220/www/images/angle.jpg
If you think Florida's gonna whoop a$$ and repeat, give me a hell yeah!
http://www.carlson316wrestling.net/stonecoldtribute/austin4.jpg
(crickets chirp)

StuIsTheMan
4/18/2007, 09:42 AM
AND OU IS GONNA LAYETH THE SMACKETH DOWN ON YOUR CANDY ASSES

http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/4669/therockns0.jpg (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/)

PAW
4/18/2007, 10:51 AM
Losing 9 starters on D will make it tough for them to repeat.

SteelClip49
4/18/2007, 11:58 AM
With them being in the SEC, I find it hard to believe. 1 loss and all you have to do is hope others around the country have 1 loss.

I say the winner of Miami/OU goes to New Orleans.

fwsooner22
4/18/2007, 12:30 PM
Wow

OSUAggie
4/18/2007, 12:34 PM
With them being in the SEC, I find it hard to believe. 1 loss and all you have to do is hope others around the country have 1 loss.

Maybe for the Sugar Bowl does Miami make it into that statement... Maybe.

JDawg2303
4/18/2007, 01:33 PM
First, I hate people ranking teams based on their spring games because that doesn't tell you anything about the upcoming season. Like OU, coaches don't show their entire playbook, there's no pressure on the QB (can't be sacked), and you don't really see those players that have already established their position or coaches keep out as to see the rest of the team (mostly new players or bench warmers vieing for a spot).

Second, it's hard to say. Being in the SEC, like everyone has said before me, it's going to be tough especially losing your primary signal caller. Granted Tebow will be good but does anyone really expect him to play on Leak's level. He can't run it all the time. So no, I don't think Florida will repeat. I'm sure they'll have a great year and maybe a SEC title but I doubt they'll get to the title game.

OU-HSV
4/18/2007, 01:44 PM

I was with you until "Miami" made it in your post here. IMHO I don't think they're going to be in the national championship scene this year, except for the fact that we'll need to beat them enroute to the national championship. :D
The SEC will once again be a tough conference to go through undefeated IMO.

footballfanatic
4/18/2007, 03:25 PM

Agreed--but only as spectators. One team--new coach, no proven stars on offense.
The other team--lame QB choices and marginal running game will limit a run.

sooner94
4/18/2007, 03:46 PM
Losing 9 starters on D will make it tough for them to repeat.

You nailed it.

Everyone got so caught up in how good Chris Leak and Tim Tebow were last year, there wasn't much talk about the Gator D. That was a damn good D, just ask Ohio St.

RedstickSooner
4/18/2007, 04:06 PM
SEC teams don't repeat.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/18/2007, 04:31 PM
The other team--lame QB choices and marginal running game will limit a run.I think OU will be vastly improved on the OL this year, and everyone knows our RB's are excellent.

Okla-homey
4/18/2007, 08:01 PM
Didn't you get the memo? the ghost of Bear Bryant has taken up residence in the brain of Saban. No one else in the SEC has a chance.

OUinFLA
4/18/2007, 08:40 PM
Didn't you get the memo? the ghost of Bear Bryant has taken up residence in the brain of Saban. No one else in the SEC has a chance.

That would explain why Saban emailed me and asked that a missing kidney be returned.

Ash
4/18/2007, 09:27 PM
If they do, does that make Florida the greatest most bestest program EVARRR!?!

goingoneight
4/18/2007, 10:04 PM
It also makes the SEC the GREATEST CONFERENCE EVAR!!!!

Ash
4/18/2007, 10:44 PM
It also makes the SEC the GREATEST CONFERENCE EVAR!!!!

Well, yah! Of course.

SteelClip49
4/19/2007, 12:04 AM
Alabama repeated twice but both of those repeats are not legit. Bammer loses bowl in 64 season while Ark goes undefeated, 65 Bama goes freaking 9-1-1 and gets a share. Bama loses to USC in Bama in 1978 and the Bammers get a split with USC and well bama went unscathed in 1979.

Therefore, IMO, the guru and mind behind the cfb national title history madness that is I thinks the SEC does not have a legit claim to any repeat national title years despite Bama doing it twice.

goingoneight
4/19/2007, 12:56 AM
Florida was not all that great. Good, but not great. Losing nine defensive starters puts them in a hole, and Tim Tebow has proven nothing except that he can hold onto a direct snap and run it up into a pile for a wasted down, IMHO. The kid may end up being great... I know... but asking him to take over for Leak? That's like asking Bomar to take over for White. There's going to be a downfall. Winning season, but no wet dreams of SEC Champeenship or BCS berth this year is my call. Urban Meyer is a good coach, so he'll have them built back up for contention in 2008, though.

OSUAggie
4/19/2007, 01:03 AM
Florida was not all that great. Good, but not great. Losing nine defensive starters puts them in a hole, and Tim Tebow has proven nothing except that he can hold onto a direct snap and run it up into a pile for a wasted down, IMHO. The kid may end up being great... I know... but asking him to take over for Leak? That's like asking Bomar to take over for White. There's going to be a downfall. Winning season, but no wet dreams of SEC Champeenship or BCS berth this year is my call. Urban Meyer is a good coach, so he'll have them built back up for contention in 2008, though.

Can you imagine the reaction around here if someone suggested that OU was good, not great, after they won a national championship? Oh how I enjoy the palpable irony.

Tebow, while I agree with you a bit more than the following will suggest, did a bit more than just hold on to a snap and waste a down running up the middle. He has shown he has the ability to run the ball effectively, which is a huge deal for a QB in that offense (and something that Leak couldn't do), he threw well enough to prove himself as a commodity, and he was very effective as a true freshman. That's about all you can ask for when you have a true soph QB entering his first year as a starter.

You might try comparing the Tebow takeover from Leak to the Holieway takeover from Aikman instead of Bomar/White.

goingoneight
4/19/2007, 01:10 AM
Why? Bomar was supposed to be "a mobile threat who could throw the ball over that there mountain!!!" and Jason White was quite the effective passing QB, or so that Heisman Trophy says so. You DO remember Florida barely got into the MNC, based solely on USC choking against UCLA and no one wanted to hear more tOSU/Michigan hype, right? Florida, essentially was no different than any other top-10 team in 2006. Anyone in the top ten could have won the MNC had they been selected to go... excepte for vastly overrated tOSU and Michigan, of course. I'll tell you Boise/Florida would have been a good game. Boise/tOSU would have sucked for the so-called Buckeye "defense" having seen what they were capable of. I'm truly happy USC choked, cuz I think on a good day... they were the most talented.

OSUAggie
4/19/2007, 01:17 AM
Why? Bomar was supposed to be "a mobile threat who could throw the ball over that there mountain!!!" and Jason White was quite the effective passing QB, or so that Heisman Trophy says so. You DO remember Florida barely got into the MNC, based solely on USC choking against UCLA and no one wanted to hear more tOSU/Michigan hype, right? Florida, essentially was no different than any other top-10 team in 2006. Anyone in the top ten could have won the MNC had they been selected to go... excepte for vastly overrated tOSU and Michigan, of course. I'll tell you Boise/Florida would have been a good game. Boise/tOSU would have sucked for the so-called Buckey "defense" having seen what they were capable of. I'm truly happy USC choked, cuz I think on a good day... they were the most talented.

I just said it was ironic, not that I didn't think they were just good.

eh, if Boise was playing in the title game, they would've been drilled by anybody they played. They just caught you not giving a ****. Boise wasn't that good of a team, they just played balls out and you weren't interested.

The Holieway/Aikman thing was more in reference to the offense Aikman ran but Holieway was more suited as compared to the offense Leak ran but Tebow was more suited.

StuIsTheMan
4/19/2007, 11:03 AM

eh, if Boise was playing in the title game, they would've been drilled by anybody they played. They just caught you not giving a ****. Boise wasn't that good of a team, they just played balls out and you weren't interested.

They were a good team...just funny hearing a poke talk about bad teams....again way to go Pot...

AND THATS THE BOTTOM LINE

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/8796/onefingeroj7.jpg (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/)

CAUSE STONE COLD SAID SO!

Ash
4/19/2007, 01:41 PM

The Holieway/Aikman thing was more in reference to the offense Aikman ran but Holieway was more suited as compared to the offense Leak ran but Tebow was more suited.

Last year's Boise squad would have beat your sorry "football" team and most other teams in the North without any trick plays.

So if that's what you mean by "not that good of a team," then I'd agree with you.

OSUAggie
4/19/2007, 01:59 PM
Last year's Boise squad would have beat your sorry "football" team and most other teams in the North without any trick plays.

So if that's what you mean by "not that good of a team," then I'd agree with you.

"Wasn't that good" is a relative statement, and when stated in the context of BCS bowls and/or the national championship game, they weren't that good. Every other team that played in a BCS bowl last year was better than Boise, including the team that Boise beat.

The fact that you use the word "most" when speaking of teams they would beat in the Big XII North validates that point.

Ash
4/19/2007, 02:16 PM
"Wasn't that good" is a relative statement, and when stated in the context of BCS bowls and/or the national championship game, they weren't that good. Every other team that played in a BCS bowl last year was better than Boise, including the team that Boise beat.

The fact that you use the word "most" when speaking of teams they would beat in the Big XII North validates that point.

Nope, I meant everyone except Nebbish -- sorry you got hung up on the semantics.

I agree, overall OU was a better team, but didn't play like it that night. Whatever, I've moved on. Unfortunately, aggie doesn't...

OSUAggie
4/19/2007, 02:22 PM
Nope, I meant everyone except Nebbish -- sorry you got hung up on the semantics.

I agree, overall OU was a better team, but didn't play like it that night. Whatever, I've moved on. Unfortunately, aggie doesn't...

Huh? B/c I don't think quite as highly of Boise as you apparently do, I don't move on?

We beat Nebbish by double digits, so forgive me if you've lost me on the idea that Boise would beat our "sorry "football"" team but not the Huskers.

Boise was obviously a good team in the grand scheme of things, but I don't think they're anywhere near BCS contender material, regardless of what they accomplished that night.

Ash
4/19/2007, 03:17 PM
Huh? B/c I don't think quite as highly of Boise as you apparently do, I don't move on?

We beat Nebbish by double digits, so forgive me if you've lost me on the idea that Boise would beat our "sorry "football"" team but not the Huskers.

Boise was obviously a good team in the grand scheme of things, but I don't think they're anywhere near BCS contender material, regardless of what they accomplished that night.

I've already posted one too many times on this topic. Playing the whatif game with aggies is like kissing your retarded sister, so I'm not going to get into this with you.

I'll just say this, you won't hear OU or Boise whine about being "six minutes" or "five plays" or "ten points" -- or whatever ****ing excuse you've dreamed up -- from having a good season last year. So think what you want about it, nothing will change that fact.

goingoneight
4/20/2007, 12:44 AM
Okay.. so I got a neg from someone... that's cool. They said I was implying Florida "backed into the title game." They did. Anyone remember how narrowly Michigan missed the vote to play in Arizona? The BCS invitation show said it was by like a thousandth of a vote.
If Florida was "great," there would have been no question, put them in there. Ohio State went and laid the egg everyone knew in the back of their minds, tOSU was gonna lay eventually. Florida played with heart, you gotta respect that. But they DID back into the game. They needed someone to lose (USC) and they needed someone to argue that they belonged (Urban Meyer). I don't see why it's so hard to admit that... Hell, we backed into the game in 2003 after we puked down OUr legs against K-State. We needed to look back on OUr supposed "strength of schedule" and overall performance to get us in. Remember SUC and LSU bitching about this? There wasn't much separation from OU and the "National Champion" that year... in fact, it was a dropped TD pass in the endzone to be accurate.
OSUAggie says that Boise caught us not giving a sh!t... so is it possible that a team who can score a TD in 20 seconds or less (USC) got caught with THEIR pants down against UCLA??? NOOOOOO, nevar!!!

Face it people, if USC hadn't choked... they were there, Ohio State likely loses by even more. Florida was a good team... but I watched them in several games where they had to gamble to win and they looked hella sloppy like we did at times. Truth is, anyone with the fire inside them could have beaten anyone in the country last year (among the ranked teams). Truth is, if teams played up to their talent level... SC would have probably won it again. For that much, I'm grateful we still have the BCS. You choke it away... whoops, too bad. Part of college ball is embarassment and being humbled. Unfortunately, two of the greatest OU squads I've ever seen were humbled by the team that wanted it more.
If Florida was "great" than so was OU in 2001 and 2002. OU was good, they looked steallar at times, but were just as vulnerable at others... the only difference is the extra loss. I guess we should have "backed OUr way into the game" as well. Wins and losses, and quality name get you into the game. If you're 12-1 USC, you're jumping right in front of 13-0 Boise State any day... not fair, but so.

Having said that, why does it make me an "idiot" to think all of this confusion could simply be solved by pinning the conference champions against eachother in a playoff? Can't win your conference, mister two-loss Texas??? Cry me a farkin' river... if OU or Nebraska loses in the playoff, it's your own damn fault, not some wack point system (current model BCS).

See the two arguments? Which one is simple, cut-and-dry? Which one continues to breed controversy and argument?

OSUAggie
4/20/2007, 12:51 AM
If you're 12-1 USC, you're jumping right in front of 13-0 Boise State any day... not fair, but so.

Come on, Boise plays a pathetic schedule while SC will go play anybody anywhere. It is fair.

Which one is simple, cut-and-dry? Which one continues to breed controversy and argument?

I'll argue against a playoff anyday. The college game is already starting to gravitate toward the NFL way with the ****ing experimental clock bull**** and now the kicking off from the 30 ****. Next thing you know they'll move the hashes closer together.

goingoneight
4/20/2007, 01:08 AM
If you haven't noticed, the "new" clock rules didn't last very long.

And as for the BSU argument, it SEEMS fair... but often times a "difficult schedule" turns out to just be a "name schedule." Meaning that playing Notre Dame, Michigan, UCLA, Oregon... means nothing when they're all overrated. The only way to separate the pretenders fromt eh contenders is to line them up, the best of the best of the best (conference champions), and watch it play out. Then you don't have LSU and USC threatening to sue for custody of the crystal ball. And what's so bad about kicking off fromt eh 30, anyway? You do realize that 90% of the college kickers were kicking it through the uprights regularly, don't you? If you don't like kicks returned for a touchdown, play some damn defense.

OSUAggie
4/20/2007, 01:19 AM
If you haven't noticed, the "new" clock rules didn't last very long.

And as for the BSU argument, it SEEMS fair... but often times a "difficult schedule" turns out to just be a "name schedule." Meaning that playing Notre Dame, Michigan, UCLA, Oregon... means nothing when they're all overrated. The only way to separate the pretenders fromt eh contenders is to line them up, the best of the best of the best (conference champions), and watch it play out. Then you don't have LSU and USC threatening to sue for custody of the crystal ball. And what's so bad about kicking off fromt eh 30, anyway? You do realize that 90% of the college kickers were kicking it through the uprights regularly, don't you? If you don't like kicks returned for a touchdown, play some damn defense.

I'm just not a fan of NFL-ing up the college game. The % of touchbacks was nowhere near 90 when kicking from the 35, though. I'm never going to be in favor of a playoff, regardless of how it's setup. If it did come to a playoff, though, I don't think lining up the conference champions is the way to go unless you re-align the conferences. I don't think the WAC (or C-USA, MAC, Sun Belt, MWC, whatever) champion shouldn be given an opportunity over the runner-up in the other 5 conferences (typically).

Hopefully the 30-yard line will be the home of kickoffs in college about as long as the clock rules existed.

goingoneight
4/20/2007, 01:29 AM
I'm just not a fan of NFL-ing up the college game. The % of touchbacks was nowhere near 90 when kicking from the 35, though. I'm never going to be in favor of a playoff, regardless of how it's setup. If it did come to a playoff, though, I don't think lining up the conference champions is the way to go unless you re-align the conferences. I don't think the WAC (or C-USA, MAC, Sun Belt, MWC, whatever) champion shouldn be given an opportunity over the runner-up in the other 5 conferences (typically).

Hopefully the 30-yard line will be the home of kickoffs in college about as long as the clock rules existed.

That's called making it a challenge. Look, if in 2004, there was a playoff... Texas would have ****ed and moaned for years to come about OU losing to someone I don't really remember all that well because "we done winn'd are B-C-S bowl game!" So what, sit at home and cry about it if Boise State loses in the first round, you should have taken care of business during the regular season. That goes back to why the current for is so good, you WANT every week to count for something.

OSUAggie
4/20/2007, 01:31 AM
That's called making it a challenge. Look, if in 2004, there was a playoff... Texas would have ****ed and moaned for years to come about OU losing to someone I don't really remember all that well because "we done winn'd are B-C-S bowl game!" So what, sit at home and cry about it if Boise State loses in the first round, you should have taken care of business during the regular season. That goes back to why the current for is so good, you WANT every week to count for something.

Do you also believe that the best 65 teams in the country play in the NCAA basketball tournament?

goingoneight
4/20/2007, 01:43 AM
Do you also believe that the best 65 teams in the country play in the NCAA basketball tournament?

Dude, you're swaying to the other side of the argument. I never said if you win 'X' amount of games, you're in the tourney. I never said 65 teams deserve to get in... I'm saying the conference championship doesn't mean **** if you aren't putting the best of your league into the dance. If you want to continue sending teams to the Krispy Kreme Powdered Sugar Doghnuts Bowl with a 6-6 record, then on with the bowl games. They'll likely never disappear anyway, but this current BCS system follows three things... name teams, highlight reels and win/loss records.

Show me the negativity, in detail, to playing off for an outright National Championship. Bet you can't say who would have won the tourney last year, could you? No one could... that's what makes it great... week to week, form day one. You win your Conference Title, you're in... otherwise, book a motel in Compton for the Ghetto Bowl and smile for the photo when you beat mighty North Texas.

OSUAggie
4/20/2007, 01:58 AM
Dude, you're swaying to the other side of the argument. I never said if you win 'X' amount of games, you're in the tourney. I never said 65 teams deserve to get in... I'm saying the conference championship doesn't mean **** if you aren't putting the best of your league into the dance. If you want to continue sending teams to the Krispy Kreme Powdered Sugar Doghnuts Bowl with a 6-6 record, then on with the bowl games. They'll likely never disappear anyway, but this current BCS system follows three things... name teams, highlight reels and win/loss records.

Show me the negativity, in detail, to playing off for an outright National Championship. Bet you can't say who would have won the tourney last year, could you? No one could... that's what makes it great... week to week, form day one. You win your Conference Title, you're in... otherwise, book a motel in Compton for the Ghetto Bowl and smile for the photo when you beat mighty North Texas.

The 65 teams was in reference to the 10+ teams that get into the tourney by winning their **** conference, which is basically what you're proposing (conference winners squaring off).

And no, I couldn't tell you who was going to be the champion. Because, a lot of times, a tournament doesn't produce the best team as the champion. That's why tournaments suck in football. It's a crap shoot.

The current formula guarantees that arguably the two best teams at the end of the season will play one another for the national championship. No tournament can guarantee that.

goingoneight
4/20/2007, 02:12 AM
Putting Ohio State up against someone turned out to be a crap shoot also. I don't recall, as I've blocked it form my memory, but it seems we didn't belong in one of those MNC games, too. So what if the Mountain West/CUSA Champs teams never advance the first round... that's where you see the traditional power shine through. It still leaves the door open for good teams like OU 2000, USC 2004, Miami 2001, Texass 2005 to win out. If they choke, well then they're not National Champs, are they?

goingoneight
4/20/2007, 02:16 AM
I'm out for tha night... I'll continue this convo, later if you care for my input, OSUAggie. All jokes aside, I'm just staing my case as you are.

OSUAggie
4/20/2007, 02:34 AM
Putting Ohio State up against someone turned out to be a crap shoot also. I don't recall, as I've blocked it form my memory, but it seems we didn't belong in one of those MNC games, too. So what if the Mountain West/CUSA Champs teams never advance the first round... that's where you see the traditional power shine through. It still leaves the door open for good teams like OU 2000, USC 2004, Miami 2001, Texass 2005 to win out. If they choke, well then they're not National Champs, are they?

OU deserved to be in that game, regardless of the beating you took.

And if the Mountain West/CUSA Champs never move on past the first round or whatever, that proves that they don't belong and it's a ****ing waste to have them. If you're gonna do a playoff or tournament or whatever, it needs to be capped at 8 teams and they should be chosen by a selection committee instead of having conference champions. Also, you need to get rid of the conference system as it exists today, and move on to a regional division format in an effort to even things out.

This is a reason I don't like the playoff. It's a slippery slope to being NFL-junior.

Fraggle145
4/20/2007, 02:51 AM
OU deserved to be in that game, regardless of the beating you took.

And if the Mountain West/CUSA Champs never move on past the first round or whatever, that proves that they don't belong and it's a ****ing waste to have them.

Amen to that.

If you're gonna do a playoff or tournament or whatever, it needs to be capped at 8 teams and they should be chosen by a selection committee instead of having conference champions.

Nope. 4 team playoff everyone else can suck it. Here's why: (1) maintains the importance of the regular season, (2) there typically arent more than 3 undefeated teams, (3) If you are a one loss team that doesnt get in, well hey you shouldna lost, (4) As a fan I dont have to pay to travel to 3-4 different friggin games, (5) and dont tell me we can make it the bowls and then make some of them home games to reduce expenses, cuz that still sucks.

Also, you need to get rid of the conference system as it exists today, and move on to a regional division format in an effort to even things out.

I like the old conference ties. granted there are some new ties but it is better than making it regional like the NFL

This is a reason I don't like the playoff. It's a slippery slope to being NFL-junior.

I'll bite on this. The NFL sucks.

insuranceman_22
4/20/2007, 10:37 PM
Florda will not win the MNC! They'll be good, but Defense lost a lot & Tebow still has some growing to do. Doubt they'll win the SEC, maybe not even the East.......God I'm so ready for the season to get here!!!!

goingoneight
4/21/2007, 01:44 AM
Florda will not win the MNC! They'll be good, but Defense lost a lot & Tebow still has some growing to do. Doubt they'll win the SEC, maybe not even the East.......God I'm so ready for the season to get here!!!!

I'm not hating on the Gators at all, I was personally glad to see them shut up the Buckeye-lovin' media. I don't like it when the media drools over someone, I didn't like it when they called OUr 2003 and 2004 teasm the "greatest team EVAR" long before season's end. I don't like when someone gets annointed the Heisman after four wins against East Popcorn State... I just said that while Florida was good and won the MNC... it's not like they'd be a shoe-in for the title again like USC was in 2005 before Texass cheated them (the "touchdown" that kept Texass alive). You have good teams, who survive hectic schedules, and you have lucky teams who have everything bounce their way, and you have great teams... who dominate from day one, and nothing blemishes their end-all accomplishments. Florida wasn't lucky, and they weren't "great..." or else you'd still be seeing highlights of their season and you'd still see the massive ESPN hard-on for them.

Urban Meyer and UF will most assuredly be a favorite for his division in the SEC, but I'm thinking 2-3 losses just based on breaking their new defense in (lost 9 starters) and they lost their primary offensive weapon. Like us in 2001, great defense, both quarterbacks would eventually be great, but they weren't the immediate replacement OU needed for Heupel due to inexperience and injury. I'm a Sooner first and foremost, and since Arkie and Bama have been an embarassment as of late, I'm back to rooting for Florida... I used to like them when Spurrier and Stoops were there cuz they usually played FSU.

snp
4/21/2007, 03:10 AM

What do you have against fun :confused:

Kickoffs are one of the most fun plays to watch. Touchbacks suck.

MiccoMacey
4/21/2007, 09:07 AM
No way Florida wins.

USC is the team to beat this year.