PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Tribute To VaTech

LoyalFan
4/18/2007, 08:21 AM
I posted this on the Football Board. I hope my friends here will support the idea.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1867671#post1867671

Thanks,

LoyalFan

colleyvillesooner
4/18/2007, 08:44 AM
Sounds good.

LoyalFan
4/18/2007, 08:50 AM
SOunds good.

Thank you. Now, get on the phone or Email and let them know you support the plan, OK?
Let's get 'er done, Sooners.
Those with "connections" at Joe C's office and the other team sports can help here too. It might be good if ALL OU teams offered this tribute during the 07-08 seasons.

LF

Hamhock
4/18/2007, 09:04 AM
what did we do for the osu plane crash?

LoyalFan
4/18/2007, 09:08 AM

I don't know, but will bet that some form of expression of sympathy and support was evidenced. The enormity of the VaTech tragedy, and it's very nature, is what prompted my suggestion. In no way do I minimize the dreadful event that befell OSU.

LF

Pricetag
4/18/2007, 09:39 AM
Well, we let them totally kick hell out of us at basketball, for one.

Osce0la
4/18/2007, 10:14 AM
I imagine there would be many schools planning to do something like this...

All of the FSU players had a 95 sticker on the back of their helmets after Miami's Bryan Pata was shot and killed last season...

I think this is a great idea and I will propose this idea on the Seminole boards as well...

AggieTool
4/18/2007, 01:53 PM
Obviously a commendable gesture, but I'm sure there will be some conference/affiliate sponsored tributes etc. If the schools start going nuts with recognizing the tragedy individually, we could end up with a zillion yellow ribbons tied to trees, little red ribbons on lapels, and fluorescent wrist bands on every hand.

The best recognition I can think of for individual schools to undertake, is to review their security/emergency procedures, conduct drills with local emergency services and law enforcement, and increase vigilance, i.e. common sense security measures used at most office buildings.

LoyalFan
4/18/2007, 02:54 PM
Obviously a commendable gesture, but I'm sure there will be some conference/affiliate sponsored tributes etc. If the schools start going nuts with recognizing the tragedy individually, we could end up with a zillion yellow ribbons tied to trees, little red ribbons on lapels, and fluorescent wrist bands on every hand.

The best recognition I can think of for individual schools to undertake, is to review their security/emergency procedures, conduct drills with local emergency services and law enforcement, and increase vigilance, i.e. common sense security measures used at most office buildings.

Well, perhaps a "zillion yellow ribbons" mighn't be so bad, but if it's OK with you, I'll keep trying to advance the original idea. I'm quite certain that most, if not all, schools are already reviewing their security arrangements.

Come on, folks! Get on the line to the Football Office, Joe C., Sherry, Jeff, Sonny, etc, and let's get this done.

Thanks more than you know!

LF

Boomer_Sooner_sax
4/18/2007, 03:01 PM

Didn't they wear Orange warm-up shirts with the 10 and ribbon on it at GIA and then threw them in to the student section? I could be crazy. Also, every Big XII team wore an orange and black Big XII logo on their basketball jerseys.

AggieTool
4/18/2007, 04:31 PM
I'm quite certain that most, if not all, schools are already reviewing their security arrangements.

I certainly hope you are correct. Especially since this incident has drawn the attention of those overseas who also wish to do us harm.

BTW, Is there anyone here actually affiliated with OU that can verify an increased interest in security/emergency procedures???

I haven't heard of anything going on at any schools thus far.

Okla-homey
4/18/2007, 04:46 PM
Nice idea. I respect the sentiment and intentions. Truly. However, I think that, just perhaps, the ACC should take the lead on this so that there is something standardized and immediately identifiable. If schools outside the conference want to join in, I think that's something better left to the conferences to decide.

Example, after Katrina, all the C-USA schools wore a single hurricane flag sticker on the back of their helmets for the season as a sign of solidarity for Tulane which took a major hit. I'm not aware if any other conference did anything like that. In the end, the conference is the school's extended family, and it's right and proper for the conference to set the tone outside the affected university. Granted, this is just my opinion, and it is not meant in anyway to detract from the sentiment.

To sum up, I think I'd rather OU not do anything unilaterally.

proud gonzo
4/18/2007, 05:35 PM
Not quite the same scale tributes, but there are a couple of groups on facebook trying to get the colors of that website changed until the end of the semester. Also, a lot of people are planning to wear orange and maroon monday the 23rd

AggieTool
4/18/2007, 05:50 PM
Nice idea. I respect the sentiment and intentions. Truly. However, I think that, just perhaps, the ACC should take the lead on this so that there is something standardized and immediately identifiable. If schools outside the conference want to join in, I think that's something better left to the conferences to decide.

Example, after Katrina, all the C-USA schools wore a single hurricane flag sticker on the back of their helmets for the season as a sign of solidarity for Tulane which took a major hit. I'm not aware if any other conference did anything like that. In the end, the conference is the school's extended family, and it's right and proper for the conference to set the tone outside the affected university. Granted, this is just my opinion, and it is not meant in anyway to detract from the sentiment.

To sum up, I think I'd rather OU not do anything unilaterally.

That's kinda what I was thinking too.

Rogue
4/18/2007, 08:46 PM
I like the idea here just as much as I did on the football board.