PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Tribute To VaTech.

LoyalFan
4/18/2007, 08:18 AM
I've just left a message with Ann Deal, Coach Stoops' secretary, suggesting that when the Sooners take the field in September they be wearing some sort of tribute to the Hokies.
I suggested either the VT logo decal, made smaller perhaps, on the backs of the Sooners' helmets or in the form of a patch atop the shoulder pads OR in front/to one side. Another idea I offered was that of a small square patch, divided diagonally, with the two primary Hokie colors.
If adopted, (and I hope it is, soon,) an announcement of OU's intention might spur other schools to follow suit. This idea, I realize, will not alleviate the pain and grief caused by a madman. It might, in some small way, be tangible proof to the wonderful folks at VT that OU and it's team truly share in their sorrow.
Any reader who feels this is an appropriate gesture is encouraged to let the folks at "Headquarters" know such.
May God bless and comfort all those affected by this tragedy.

LoyalFan.

Boomer.....
4/18/2007, 08:22 AM
Great idea. Props for taking action on trying to get it done.

OU4LIFE
4/18/2007, 08:28 AM
I like the small square idea.

I hope this gains some momentum.

LoyalFan
4/18/2007, 08:37 AM
I like the small square idea.

I hope this gains some momentum.

I hope all here will call Bobbo's sec'y and make our feelings known. Those with connections to Joe C., Sherry C., Coach Golloway, Coach Capel, and whomever might help should pick up the phone or send an Email...and soon.

LF

badger
4/18/2007, 08:39 AM
Okies love Hokies :)

StuIsTheMan
4/18/2007, 08:43 AM
Okies love Hokies :)

was thinking the same thing G1!

LoyalFan
4/18/2007, 09:10 AM
was thinking the same thing G1!

Great! Now get on the phone/computer and let's make this HAPPEN!

LF

Collier11
4/18/2007, 10:21 AM
This would be great! Lets show what kind of people we are in Oklahoma!!!!

OU-HSV
4/18/2007, 11:25 AM
nice work LF

OU-HSV
4/18/2007, 11:34 AM
Has anyone checked this out yet?? Soonersports.com messages to Va Tech. Pretty neat deal.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=300&ATCLID=867762&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=300&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

SteelClip49
4/18/2007, 11:53 AM
forget the colors. I say wear a small VT emblem patch with a black rememberance ribbon within the VT. Or the #32 with each number in a different color.

All_Day_28
4/18/2007, 12:09 PM
forget the colors. I say wear a small VT emblem patch with a black rememberance ribbon within the VT. Or the #32 with each number in a different color.
#32??

Collier11
4/18/2007, 12:10 PM
For the students that were killed

All_Day_28
4/18/2007, 12:10 PM
I've just left a message with Ann Deal, Coach Stoops' secretary, suggesting that when the Sooners take the field in September they be wearing some sort of tribute to the Hokies.
I suggested either the VT logo decal, made smaller perhaps, on the backs of the Sooners' helmets or in the form of a patch atop the shoulder pads OR in front/to one side. Another idea I offered was that of a small square patch, divided diagonally, with the two primary Hokie colors.
If adopted, (and I hope it is, soon,) an announcement of OU's intention might spur other schools to follow suit. This idea, I realize, will not alleviate the pain and grief caused by a madman. It might, in some small way, be tangible proof to the wonderful folks at VT that OU and it's team truly share in their sorrow.
Any reader who feels this is an appropriate gesture is encouraged to let the folks at "Headquarters" know such.

LoyalFan.
This is a great idea.. way to take action.. hopefully everyone else will get involved to.. I know the classy people we have in our Athletic Department will make something happen..

Seamus
4/18/2007, 01:35 PM
Love the idea. Much http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif to you. Hope it comes to pass.

JDawg2303
4/18/2007, 01:37 PM
Great idea!! I like the patch on the jersey the best followed by a decal on the helmet as a close second (or do both).

soonersweetie
4/18/2007, 02:22 PM
Great idea! Keep us advised if anyone hears anything regarding this.

LoyalFan
4/18/2007, 02:49 PM
#32??

That number includes at least two faculty members, one a valiant elderly Holocaust survivor whose sacrifice saved lived and another instructor from India.

Guys and Dolls, I've not heard from OU yet, but hope you all will add your voices to the effort. Thanks so much for the kind words.

LoyalFan

OU_Sooners75
4/18/2007, 03:30 PM
I say who cares....it wasnt like a plane crashed killing the football team.

Collier11
4/18/2007, 03:42 PM
Thats despicable...even if it has nothing to do with football, it has alot to do with people and family and you need to show some respect!

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/18/2007, 03:47 PM
This is a great idea...but the NCAA would never allow it, because they aren't the brightest when it comes to making decisions

Boomer.....
4/18/2007, 03:48 PM
:mad:

colleyvillesooner
4/18/2007, 03:49 PM

Are you ****ing kidding?

Yeah, OU was way over the line when they honored the fallen with the 9/11 moment of silence and gigantic american flag at the game. It's not like the planes were filled with football players.

you should be perma-baned.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/18/2007, 04:00 PM
Another thing I think they SHOULD do is have like stickers for the different branches of the military on their helmets as well...

Collier11
4/18/2007, 04:14 PM
I emailed Prez Boren just to try and reach out to everyone in power so maybe someone will realize how important it is to us!

OU-HSV
4/18/2007, 04:57 PM
Wow dude, real classy post here :rolleyes:
Have a little respect. Or maybe you were just being sarcastic and forgot your wink.

RedstickSooner
4/18/2007, 06:35 PM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd personally prefer we did as little as possible to publicly acknowledge the despicable act. The sick motherfudgers who do stuff like this do it, at least in part, for the notoriety they'll gain. The more we make mention of it, the more of that notoriety we'll grant that cowardly little punk.

The only time I like to do stuff like this is if it's some sort of call to action -- but I don't know that there's any particular call to action which would be appropriate in this case.

I, uh, have also always kinda thought these sorts of things were cheesy. But that's just a personal opinion -- and is sorta irrelevant, since clearly a bunch of other fans *don't* feel it's cheesy.

Mostly, I just don't see what this would accomplish. The entire nation mourns Virginia Tech's loss. What does a patch on a player's uniform add to that?

I'll prolly get negged to heck & back for this. I'm not trying to be a jerk -- I just don't get this particular form of expression. Seems our efforts would be better served donating to a fund to build a memorial there on VaTech's campus, or somesuch.

Half a Hundred
4/18/2007, 07:46 PM
You know, this would be a nice tribute. Not only that, it would be a huge gesture by OU.

Since it would mean having Maroon and Burnt f'n Orange on our uniform.

Man, Texas goes and ruins a good thing without even trying.

Collier11
4/18/2007, 08:03 PM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd personally prefer we did as little as possible to publicly acknowledge the despicable act. The sick motherfudgers who do stuff like this do it, at least in part, for the notoriety they'll gain. The more we make mention of it, the more of that notoriety we'll grant that cowardly little punk.

The only time I like to do stuff like this is if it's some sort of call to action -- but I don't know that there's any particular call to action which would be appropriate in this case.

I, uh, have also always kinda thought these sorts of things were cheesy. But that's just a personal opinion -- and is sorta irrelevant, since clearly a bunch of other fans *don't* feel it's cheesy.

Mostly, I just don't see what this would accomplish. The entire nation mourns Virginia Tech's loss. What does a patch on a player's uniform add to that?

I'll prolly get negged to heck & back for this. I'm not trying to be a jerk -- I just don't get this particular form of expression. Seems our efforts would be better served donating to a fund to build a memorial there on VaTech's campus, or somesuch.

I see where you are coming from, but id rather honor the innocent and risk giving some scum bag too much publicity rather than doing nothing. I just wish they would keep that piece of sh*ts face and name off the news.

Fraggle145
4/18/2007, 09:39 PM

I like this idea. I think we should put it on the back of the helmet, similiar to the katrina affected states on the SEC helmets. It makes it subtle but poignant.

BTW, it wouldnt hurt to post the phone #, so that those of us that dont know where to look to find it can call. TIA

Collier11
4/18/2007, 10:04 PM
Wow dude, real classy post here :rolleyes:
Have a little respect. Or maybe you were just being sarcastic and forgot your wink.

This isnt a situation that calls for sarcasm or joking. That is not acceptable!!!

birddog
4/18/2007, 10:08 PM

**** off, dip****.

really classy.

birddog
4/18/2007, 10:15 PM
http://www.techsideline.com/message_board/football/

here's a v-tech message board. nott sure if there is a more popular one, or not

MamaMia
4/18/2007, 10:58 PM

LoyalFan.You are very thoughtful. :)

OU-HSV
4/19/2007, 07:14 AM
This isnt a situation that calls for sarcasm or joking. That is not acceptable!!!
That's what I'm saying

footballfanatic
4/19/2007, 09:09 AM
Here's a different thought. It's nice to have sympathy for the people that suffered through this ordeal, but ultimately, a patch is a cosmetic act. A far more impactful action would be to contact your representative to campaign to make it impossible for people who have been diagnosed as mentally unstable (like that sick loser had been) to walk into a gun store and purchase handguns. I'm not saying guns should be outlawed, but I do think we need far more stringent ways to keep sick people from legally purchasing firearms. Of course, some will argue that people can still acquire them in another way, but if we can reduce the chance of it happening again by a simple and intelligent way, we should do so.

Collier11
4/19/2007, 10:18 AM
Here's a different thought. It's nice to have sympathy for the people that suffered through this ordeal, but ultimately, a patch is a cosmetic act. A far more impactful action would be to contact your representative to campaign to make it impossible for people who have been diagnosed as mentally unstable (like that sick loser had been) to walk into a gun store and purchase handguns. I'm not saying guns should be outlawed, but I do think we need far more stringent ways to keep sick people from legally purchasing firearms. Of course, some will argue that people can still acquire them in another way, but if we can reduce the chance of it happening again by a simple and intelligent way, we should do so.

That is very true and if you want to start a petition I will consider signing it. But, you cant calculate how big little things like honoring the fallen with a patch or decal can help! Just the Nats wearing the VT hats the other night was very powerful and some of the family members talked about how much it meant that everyone cared so much. It will not only show how much we care as a community, but also how much their lives meant to us and that this loser
isnt going to affect our lives or theirs. Cosmetic yes but helpful, yes!

Soonermagik
4/19/2007, 10:36 AM

I can surely say you don't speak for me. I think your comment was insensitive and demeans those lives who were lost. You sir, are lucky I am not a moderator or you would be gone. :mad:

AggieTool
4/19/2007, 10:33 PM
Of course commemorating the VT is desirable. I'm just curious as to the appropriateness of a single team effort vice the efforts of the conference and associated affiliates to do likewise.

Either way, I'm sure the genuine sympathy for the victims will manifest itself in a myriad of ways by all entities in the collegic sports world.

I pray that as much effort is focused towards all the schools improving and vetting their security posture and readiness.
After all, we just announced a big weakness in the security of our large educational institutions...didn't we?

All_Day_28
4/19/2007, 10:53 PM
I can surely say you don't speak for me. I think your comment was insensitive and demeans those lives who were lost. You sir, are lucky I am not a moderator or you would be gone. :mad:
what he said:cool:

goingoneight
4/20/2007, 02:19 AM
I actually have a Sooner Jersey with the number 32 on it. I don't know whose number it was, as far as which Sooner legend good enough to sell jerseys it belonged to... but it's an authentic jersey like the guys currently wear... heh... WITHOUT A NAMEPLATE!!!

Fraggle145
4/20/2007, 02:52 AM

I think he has been baned already.

85Sooner
4/20/2007, 08:03 AM

HOw bout 31. Lets not give the shooter any credit

King Crimson
4/20/2007, 08:04 AM

good point 85.

Soonermagik
4/20/2007, 10:20 AM
I think he has been baned already.

Good!!!

HokieToTheCore
4/20/2007, 10:32 PM
All, it took a couple days for my account to be activated here, but now that it has, I just wanted to say thanks for all of your support. My father was a Sooner (and a Cowboy), and I am a Hokie (class of '91). I was touched when bigdog came to techsideline.com to share your collective thoughts and for the invitation to stop by here. But I was not at all surprised that the Sooner Nation would be supporting us - my Dad has always said that the biggest hearts are in Oklahoma.

Thanks.

colleyvillesooner
4/20/2007, 10:33 PM
Welcome. Are prayers are with you all.

Blue
4/20/2007, 10:36 PM

wasn't it 32 and the dip****?

Collier11
4/21/2007, 11:37 AM
yes

Seamus
4/21/2007, 12:25 PM

F'n A, Collier. Dang straight. :(

birddog
4/21/2007, 10:54 PM
All, it took a couple days for my account to be activated here, but now that it has, I just wanted to say thanks for all of your support. My father was a Sooner (and a Cowboy), and I am a Hokie (class of '91). I was touched when bigdog came to techsideline.com to share your collective thoughts and for the invitation to stop by here. But I was not at all surprised that the Sooner Nation would be supporting us - my Dad has always said that the biggest hearts are in Oklahoma.

Thanks.

actually, it was birddog. ;) feel free to join us over here anytime.

OU_Sooners75
4/22/2007, 02:44 PM
My apologies to anyone that found my comment offensive or in bad taste.

What I was trying to say was not stated properly.

I find the VT shootings as horrible as any tragedy. I have kept the victims and their family in my thoughts and prayers.

With that said, this is what I was trying to say when I posted in this thread:

I could see the football team doing a tribute four or five months afterwards if this or something just as tragic happened to the VT football team. I wouldn't understand why just the OU football team would do a tribute and not the entire University and/or the entire athletics program.

I know my previous post ****ed quite a few off. But this was my intent in the post I made. Once again, I apologize to those that got offending or upset about my previous post. Next time I will think out my post before creating it.

Thanks.

Collier11
4/22/2007, 10:27 PM
I have no problem letting it go, I found it offensive and at the best, I felt you just didnt think before saying what you said. I think there is a little less patience with message boards than actual speech because you have to think about it, type it, then submit it so there should be time between thought and conclusion that you should have caught the abrasiveness of it. That being said, people say/write stupid stuff all the time and Im sure I have before as well so I have no problem accepting your apology and taking your word that you didnt mean it to sound so bad!

OU-HSV
4/23/2007, 10:21 AM
My apologies to anyone that found my comment offensive or in bad taste.

What I was trying to say was not stated properly.

I find the VT shootings as horrible as any tragedy. I have kept the victims and their family in my thoughts and prayers.

With that said, this is what I was trying to say when I posted in this thread:

I could see the football team doing a tribute four or five months afterwards if this or something just as tragic happened to the VT football team. I wouldn't understand why just the OU football team would do a tribute and not the entire University and/or the entire athletics program.

I know my previous post ****ed quite a few off. But this was my intent in the post I made. Once again, I apologize to those that got offending or upset about my previous post. Next time I will think out my post before creating it.

Thanks.
Now this post makes a lot more sense. I can't speak for everyone else, but I appreciate & accept your apology.

8timechamps
4/25/2007, 11:38 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but when I saw the "little" things being done in sports to honor the folks at VT (The Nationals wearing VT hats during a game, the Red Sox with the VT logo on their green caps in a game, the stickers on all 43 NASCAR drivers at the race in Phoenix) it made me realize how sports don't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but sports has always been a good distraction after such horrific events.

I think a small tribute (whether it be a sticker, patch, etc.) is more than a nice gesture, it's a requirement.

I'll never forget going to NYC two weeks after the OKC bombing and seeing a banner on a building that said "WE (heart) OKC". "Little" acts like that (and what has been proposed) reach much deeper and go far further than most realize.

Collier11
4/25/2007, 11:42 AM
Whether we can admit it or not, sports is engrossing and healing in many ways so when those who we follow with a passion for many of us decide to honor those who were affected in a bad way, it means alot to many people!!!

colleyvillesooner
4/25/2007, 11:53 AM
Now this post makes a lot more sense. I can't speak for everyone else, but I appreciate & accept your apology.

Ditto