PDA

View Full Version : Tax Question

Sooner in Tampa
4/17/2007, 04:20 PM
Since today is the deadline, I thought I would ask. My buddy just told me that I do NOT have to file a tax return IF the government owes me money. :eek: I know that it is stupid not to...but we were discussing the "Tax Deadline" and he told me that it doesn't apply to us, since we know we are getting a return (we went to H&R Block...they worked up our taxes, and then wanted to drop a $275 bill on us.)
I am going to file with Turbo Tax, but now that I am not under the gun...I think.

So is this straight scoop...the Deadline doesn't apply to me??

Frozen Sooner
4/17/2007, 04:26 PM
Your friend is incorrect. The deadline for filing a federal 1040 is today.

However, it's not likely that they will assess you penalties or fees if they owe you money.

Question: Why would you not file your return as soon as possible if they owe you money? Just feeling generous?

Sooner in Tampa
4/17/2007, 04:28 PM
Your friend is incorrect. The deadline for filing a federal 1040 is today.

However, it's not likely that they will assess you penalties or fees if they owe you money.

Question: Why would you not file your return as soon as possible if they owe you money? Just feeling generous?I like Uncle Sam ;)
Not any one reason...just lazy this year. We normally file in early Feb.

Hamhock
4/17/2007, 04:45 PM
i agree with your friend

soonerboomer93
4/17/2007, 07:05 PM
you do have to file, you're just not assed penalties

my accountant told me I didn't have to do an extension or state return yet in colorado because they will owe me money. But I can't do my federal until I meet certain criteria for being out of the country

OUHOMER
4/17/2007, 08:24 PM
I say, test the system man, Don't file. lets see what happens.:D

Sooner in Tampa
4/18/2007, 05:35 AM
H & R Block told me that I do have to file...it is just that the deadline doesn't matter. I will get it done sometime this week.

BTW, I am glad that I did not try TurboTax last night...I heard on the radio that they got overwhelmed and people were waiting over an hour for confirmation.

SoonerInFla
4/18/2007, 06:28 AM
H & R Block told me that I do have to file...it is just that the deadline doesn't matter. I will get it done sometime this week.

H&R Block told one of my co-workers the same thing. He got stuck here at work on the river and can't go in for a couple more weeks.

Hamhock
4/18/2007, 07:54 AM
the related penalties (underpayment, failure to file, etc.) are all based on the tax owed.

i've never, ever, ever heard of an issue being raised by the IRS for not filing on time when a refund is due. it is conceivable that, if you have a boat load of income being reported to the IRS, they may come looking for a return after a few years.