PDA

View Full Version : 10 Items or Less does not mean 15 or 20

MamaMia
4/17/2007, 03:29 PM
and if all the check out lines are long and you have a basket full of groceries, the polite thing would be to offer the person behind you with just a couple of things to go on ahead. We are raising a generation of rudelings. By the time the hillbilly redneck osu woman in front of me had 1/3rd of her bags full of junk food loaded in her beat up orange and black pick up truck, I was already checked out, paid up and leaving the parking lot with my blackberry IZZE and banana chips.

Howzit
4/17/2007, 03:30 PM
I always figured that was more of a guideline...

Hamhock
4/17/2007, 03:37 PM
i recently discovered banana chips and i love them.

OCUDad
4/17/2007, 03:39 PM
Is a six-pack one item or six?
Is more than one of the same item counted as only one? (Like is 12 bottles of 7-Up one item or 12?)
If I have a bag of grapes, does each count as a separate item?

...deep philosophical questions I have often pondered...

Frozen Sooner
4/17/2007, 03:43 PM
Huh. The express lanes here are 15 items or less.

Hatfield
4/17/2007, 03:45 PM
i think it is polite to allow people to go ahead of you in line.

that doesn't mean i think it is rude to not allow people to go ahead of you in line.

oklaclarinet
4/17/2007, 03:46 PM
In Poteau, the express lanes are 20 items or less, but I've always thought 20 was a quite a large number for the express lane. However, we just finally got the self-checkout, so life is a whole lot better.

VeeJay
4/17/2007, 03:52 PM
Mama - when you gettin' somethin' to put in the crock pot?

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 03:52 PM
If it's sold as a unit, it's one item. If it's sold individually, each one counts as an item.

the a-holes I hate are the one's that go to Sam's or Costco and park two full carts in different lanes waiting to see which lane moves faster. I was behind a lady and as we neared the register her husband joined us with a full cart. I kindly suggested he might avoid that in the future because it comes across a little rude. He said they were together and I didn't lose any place. I said I was behind one full cart, and now I'm behind two.

My threshold for a-holes is pretty low.

frankensooner
4/17/2007, 03:54 PM
I have noticed that it is usually the novice checkers in the "express" lanes.

crawfish
4/17/2007, 04:00 PM
When I was a checker at Skaggs in Norman, I would regularly send people with >10 people out of my line in the express lane (when there were lots of people in line). My manager yelled at me about it once, told me that I was ruining goodwill with a customer. I told him that we were gaining goodwill with all the customers behind him.

Truth is, I was burned out and bitter. But it made me feel better. :)

Hatfield
4/17/2007, 04:05 PM
If it's sold as a unit, it's one item. If it's sold individually, each one counts as an item.

the a-holes I hate are the one's that go to Sam's or Costco and park two full carts in different lanes waiting to see which lane moves faster. I was behind a lady and as we neared the register her husband joined us with a full cart. I kindly suggested he might avoid that in the future because it comes across a little rude. He said they were together and I didn't lose any place. I said I was behind one full cart, and now I'm behind two.

that is pretty bushleague

crawfish
4/17/2007, 04:05 PM
I have noticed that it is usually the novice checkers in the "express" lanes.

We always tried to stay out of the express lane. However, I seemed to always **** off the managers, so I usually found myself stuck in 'em.

yermom
4/17/2007, 04:10 PM
open more lanes, ****ers :mad:

VeeJay
4/17/2007, 04:10 PM

Right on. That's happened to me, recently.

I would fully support a "Logan's Run" type elimination system where deadly gamma rays fire from the ceiling, reducing the lane changers to a pool of smoldering liquid carbon on the floor. Then, you could just move the cart out of the way and re-claim your rightful place in line.

SicEmBaylor
4/17/2007, 04:11 PM
I think an item constitutes each bar code scanned. So one bag of grapes would be 1 item in the same way as a 6 pack of coke were an item UNLESS they are in some way separated requiring each can to be individually scanned.

Mjcpr
4/17/2007, 04:11 PM
When I was a checker at Skaggs in Norman, I would regularly send people with >10 people out of my line in the express lane (when there were lots of people in line). My manager yelled at me about it once, told me that I was ruining goodwill with a customer. I told him that we were gaining goodwill with all the customers behind him.

Truth is, I was burned out and bitter. But it made me feel better. :)

Did you win the newish Malibu?

Fraggle145
4/17/2007, 04:12 PM
Two Things:

(1) If you use self check out... DONT BE RETARDED! Scan. bag. repeat. DONT TAKE ANYTHING OFF OF THE SHELF BEFORE YOU ARE FINISHED. The directions arent in spanish (unless you want them to be). DONT PUSH ALL OF THE BUTTONS TO PAY, STICK YOUR DAMN MONEY IN AND WALK AWAY.

(2) If you use the self checkout... DONT BRING TWO ****IN CARTS FULL OF **** TO CHECK OUT!!! GO DO THAT IN A NORMAL LINE. you'll notice by the lack of space in the bagging area that it is not for your day long shopping spree.

YWIA.

Czar Soonerov
4/17/2007, 04:45 PM
I got behind a chick int he self check out lane the other day. She she would drop her stuff into the bag and then pick it up right away and not press the [skip bagging] button, so the checkout girl had to come over and mash her security code. This happened a minimum or 10 times (I am not exaggerating.) Then she couldn't find the code for celery :rolleyes:. When she finally finished, she paid with a check. I didn't even know you could pay with a check in the self checkout. So first she fills out the check, then the checker chic had to come back over and validate the check or whatever they do with checks.

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 04:45 PM
I think an item constitutes each bar code scanned. So one bag of grapes would be 1 item in the same way as a 6 pack of coke were an item UNLESS they are in some way separated requiring each can to be individually scanned.
You pretty much set the same parameters I did with different terminology.

Howzit
4/17/2007, 04:50 PM
I got behind a chick int he self check out lane the other day. She she would drop her stuff into the bag and then pick it up right away and not press the [skip bagging] button, so the checkout girl had to come over and mash her security code. This happened a minimum or 10 times (I am not exaggerating.) Then she couldn't find the code for celery :rolleyes:. When she finally finished, she paid with a check. I didn't even know you could pay with a check in the self checkout. So first she fills out the check, then the checker chic had to come back over and validate the check or whatever they do with checks.

She's buried in your yard now.

Isn't she?

Fraggle145
4/17/2007, 04:50 PM

**** OFF! DIP ****!

MamaMia
4/17/2007, 07:47 PM
Mama - when you gettin' somethin' to put in the crock pot?I'm afraid I have discovered that buying a new crock pot is way too complicated nowadays. ~sigh~

Dio
4/17/2007, 11:06 PM
The last 2 times I tried the "Auto Center Shortcut" at the Moore Wal-Mart (because they've taken out the self-checkout, dammit), there was some chick running a cart full of groceries through there. Son of a bitch!

SicEmBaylor
4/17/2007, 11:21 PM
The last 2 times I tried the "Auto Center Shortcut" at the Moore Wal-Mart (because they've taken out the self-checkout, dammit)
What's the difference?

VeeJay
4/17/2007, 11:25 PM
You should always check your cart full of groceries out of the Lawn & Garden Center. Duh.

Ash
4/17/2007, 11:33 PM
I expect most of the slobs in line to be clueless, but what really ****es me off is when the cashier is a complete ****nut.

My latest favorite happened at Albertsons. Nobody in line had a lot of crap, but it still took forever. Why? Because, after scanning an item, our cashier had to chat with other cashiers or anyone that walked by.

Just scan my groceries!

jk the sooner fan
4/18/2007, 06:28 AM

i'm really glad i wasnt behind her in that line.....i'm not sure i could have bitten my tongue enough...

yermom
4/18/2007, 06:50 AM
yeah, i would have been explaining it to her

i have training in such things though ;)

jk the sooner fan
4/18/2007, 06:53 AM
yeah, i would have been explaining it to her

i have training in such things though ;)

i'll never forget the guy in front of me at the self checkout line.....it was his very first time and he wasnt smarter than the machine.....made for VERY good comedy.....especially when he started cursing out wal-mart and their lack of extra cashiers......i said "there are plenty of cashiers, you just chose to go here so you wouldnt have to wait....and now we're all waiting on you"