PDA

View Full Version : NBA Ref Suspended for Treatment of Tim Duncan

jdsooner
4/17/2007, 03:15 PM
NEW YORK (AP) -- NBA referee Joey Crawford was suspended indefinitely by commissioner David Stern on Tuesday for his conduct toward Tim Duncan, who contends the official challenged him to a fight.

Crawford, who has worked more playoff games than any active ref, ejected Duncan from a game in Dallas on Sunday. He called a second technical foul on the San Antonio Spurs star while he was on the bench.

"He looked at me and said, 'Do you want to fight? Do you want to fight?"' Duncan said. "If he wants to fight, we can fight. I don't have any problem with him, but we can do it if he wants to. I have no reason why in the middle of a game he would yell at me, `Do you want to fight?"'

Crawford's suspension will last at least through the NBA finals. He apparently will have to meet with Stern after that to discuss reinstatement.

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said the league has not ruled out any penalties against Duncan. The Spurs said they did not yet have a comment.

Stern said Crawford's actions "failed to meet the standards of professionalism and game management we expect of NBA referees."

"Especially in light of similar prior acts by this official, a significant suspension is warranted," Stern said in a statement. "Although Joey is consistently rated as one of our top referees, he must be held accountable for his actions on the floor, and we will have further discussions with him following the season to be sure he understands his responsibilities."

Crawford comes from an officiating family. His brother, Jerry, is a major league umpire, as was his father, Shag.

Joey Crawford is in his 29th season as an NBA referee. He has officiated more than 2,000 games during the regular season and 252 in the playoffs, including 36 in the NBA finals.

But his temper has gotten him noticed before, especially in Game 2 of the 2003 Western Conference finals, a matchup involving the same teams as in Sunday's game. Crawford called four technical fouls in the first 10-plus minutes, leading to ejections of then-Mavs coach Don Nelson and assistant Del Harris.

Crawford also called a technical in a recent game against Duncan, who said Sunday that Crawford has a "personal vendetta against me."

Duncan was called for his first technical foul Sunday with 2:20 remaining in the third quarter for arguing about an offensive foul. Crawford hit him with the second technical 1:16 later after Duncan was on the bench laughing about a call that went against the Spurs.

With Duncan gone, the Mavericks rallied to beat the Spurs, ending San Antonio's chance of earning the No. 2 seed in the Western Conference.

Speaking to a pool reporter before Duncan spoke, Crawford was asked about Duncan thinking he had done nothing to warrant the ejection.

"That's his opinion," said Crawford, adding that Duncan referred to him with an expletive. "Is that nothing?"

Scott D
4/17/2007, 03:25 PM
that huge roar you hear is the fans of 32 NBA teams.

yermom
4/17/2007, 03:32 PM
that huge roar you hear is the fans of 29 NBA teams.

;)

Boomer.....
4/17/2007, 03:43 PM
Good job Stern!

Scott D
4/17/2007, 03:44 PM
;)

actually it's 30...31 if you consider the Hornets to be two separate teams ;)

yermom
4/17/2007, 03:49 PM
i'm just thinking the Mavs aren't that ****ed :D

Scott D
4/17/2007, 03:57 PM
i'm just thinking the Mavs aren't that ****ed :D

um....me thinks you be mistaking the roar :D

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 04:01 PM
Mavs would be torn. They hate him too, but his most recent comedy was staged for their benefit.

yermom
4/17/2007, 04:02 PM
i think i had that backwards or something...

Scott D
4/17/2007, 04:09 PM
i think i had that backwards or something...

yes, yes you did.

30 cities cheering in unison :P

NormanPride
4/17/2007, 04:10 PM
Yeah. EVERYONE wanted this guy gone. He's done a lot of damage over the years.

yermom
4/17/2007, 04:11 PM
yes, yes you did.

30 cities cheering in unison :P

that's what i meant initially, but i typed it wrong later

Suerreal
4/17/2007, 08:32 PM
As I understand it, the guy was wired. Crawford said exactly what Tim Duncan quoted him as saying.

So in addition to being a total jerk, he's terminally stupid too.

Buh Bye.

- Sue

jk the sooner fan
4/17/2007, 08:44 PM
Mavs would be torn. They hate him too, but his most recent comedy was staged for their benefit.

i think the Mavs......and even more so Mark Cuban, would be estatic

its what Cuban has been bitching about for the last 4 years.....