PDA

View Full Version : First victim of daylight savings time.

Ike
4/17/2007, 11:08 AM
http://www.passablynews.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1175830780

A fifteen-year old boy in America was incarcerated for twelve days, wrongly accused of making a hoax bomb threat - because his school had forgotten that the clocks had gone forward.

Cody Webb was arrested last month, after Hempfield Area High School received a bomb threat on their student hotline – which provides a range of information to students about the school - at 3.17am on March 11th. They believed they'd found the culprit when they traced the phone number they thought was responsible to Webb.

Unfortunately, the school forgot that the clocks had switched to Daylight Saving Time that morning. The time stamps left on the hotline were adjusted by an hour after Day Light Savings causing Webb's call to logged as the same time the bomb threat was placed. Webb, who's never even had a detention in his life, had actually made his call an hour before the bomb threat was placed.

Despite the fact that the recording of the call featured a voice that sounded nothing like Webb's, the police arrested Webb and he spent 12 days in a juvenile detention facility before the school eventually realised their mistake.

Webb gave an insight into the school's impressive investigative techniques, saying that he was ushered in to see the principal, Kathy Charlton. She asked him what his phone number was, and , according to Webb, when he replied 'she started waving her hands in the air and saying “we got him, we got him.”'

'They just started flipping out, saying I made a bomb threat to the school,' he told local television station KDKA. After he protested his innocence, Webb says that the principal said: 'Well, why should we believe you? You're a criminal. Criminals lie all the time.'

All charges against Webb have now been dropped.

yermom
4/17/2007, 11:11 AM
so much for innocent until proven guilty

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 11:13 AM
amazing

A female Barney Fife as principal.

OUDoc
4/17/2007, 11:14 AM
The school systems are really starting to concern me. I wonder if my parents felt the same way?

StuIsTheMan
4/17/2007, 11:23 AM
Quote:
A fifteen-year old boy in America was incarcerated for twelve days, wrongly accused of making a hoax bomb threat - because his school had forgotten that the clocks had gone forward.

Cody Webb was arrested last month, after Hempfield Area High School received a bomb threat on their student hotline – which provides a range of information to students about the school - at 3.17am on March 11th. They believed they'd found the culprit when they traced the phone number they thought was responsible to Webb.

Unfortunately, the school forgot that the clocks had switched to Daylight Saving Time that morning. The time stamps left on the hotline were adjusted by an hour after Day Light Savings causing Webb's call to logged as the same time the bomb threat was placed. Webb, who's never even had a detention in his life, had actually made his call an hour before the bomb threat was placed.

Despite the fact that the recording of the call featured a voice that sounded nothing like Webb's, the police arrested Webb and he spent 12 days in a juvenile detention facility before the school eventually realised their mistake.

Webb gave an insight into the school's impressive investigative techniques, saying that he was ushered in to see the principal, Kathy Charlton. She asked him what his phone number was, and , according to Webb, when he replied 'she started waving her hands in the air and saying “we got him, we got him.”'

'They just started flipping out, saying I made a bomb threat to the school,' he told local television station KDKA. After he protested his innocence, Webb says that the principal said: 'Well, why should we believe you? You're a criminal. Criminals lie all the time.'

All charges against Webb have now been dropped.

That explains alot...

KABOOKIE
4/17/2007, 11:47 AM
That bitch should be fired.

crawfish
4/17/2007, 12:02 PM
Geez. :mad:

NormanPride
4/17/2007, 12:07 PM
This is why investigations should be left to the authorities. Why was the principal the one calling the shots? Or was I reading that wrong?

stonecoldsoonerfan
4/17/2007, 12:52 PM
i hope they sue her and the police also. that's inexcusable.

Hamhock
4/17/2007, 01:01 PM
i hope they sue her and the police also. that's inexcusable.

she screwed up. no need in running to get the lawyers and ruining her life.

royalfan5
4/17/2007, 01:06 PM
she screwed up. no need in running to get the lawyers and ruining her life.
She should be canned for wildly unprofessional behavior though.

OUDoc
4/17/2007, 01:09 PM
And for being too stupid to be a principal.

OCUDad
4/17/2007, 01:10 PM
And for being too stupid to be a principal.Based on my high school experiences, I didn't think that was possible.

Hamhock
4/17/2007, 01:10 PM

somebody definitely needs to take a look at the amount of authority she has. i just don't think she should have her life ruined because she messed up, even if it was royally.

royalfan5
4/17/2007, 01:16 PM
somebody definitely needs to take a look at the amount of authority she has. i just don't think she should have her life ruined because she messed up, even if it was royally.
I don't think losing your job for incompetence is a life ruiner. I'm sure some other school district will give her chance to redeem herself.

StuIsTheMan
4/17/2007, 01:22 PM
I don't think losing your job for incompetence is a life ruiner. I'm sure some other school district will give her chance to redeem herself.

yeah at her next job application she can just ...not put that on there...like the sex offenders do, and they still get hired...just say'n

toast
4/17/2007, 01:31 PM

sounds like she should apply for the DA position in North Carolina

Hamhock
4/17/2007, 01:33 PM

i agree. i think suing her would be a life ruiner.

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 01:38 PM
She needs some kind of wake up call. Perhaps she can be suspended herself.

toast
4/17/2007, 01:38 PM
the kid should have had an uncle like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P19EOGUVjXs

MojoRisen
4/17/2007, 01:45 PM

I would agree, however her response too the kid was you are a criminal, criminals lie why should we believe a criminal.

CAN her and serve her up on a platter.

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 01:50 PM
I had to go to the school to get my son's cell phone from the vice principal.

After school was over, he call his mom from the school parking lot to get a ride home and the school janitor took it away from him.

rules is rules but it was interesting to see at least 4-5 on cell phones in the same area when I got there.

I gave my son a hard time for getting busted by the freak'n janitor.

SleestakSooner
4/17/2007, 01:54 PM
i agree. i think suing her would be a life ruiner.

To begin with, the lawsuit would be against the school district and not against any one person. She would be fired at most. And in this instance I do believe she would deserve to have her *** canned.

A marginal amount of self restraint and the ability to show leadership should be prerequisites for that position.

Hamhock
4/17/2007, 02:00 PM
To begin with, the lawsuit would be against the school district and not against any one person. She would be fired at most. And in this instance I do believe she would deserve to have her *** canned.

and we perpetuate the teaching to our children that if something goes wrong in your life, you better find someone to sue. **** happens

royalfan5
4/17/2007, 02:04 PM
and we perpetuate the teaching to our children that if something goes wrong in your life, you better find someone to sue. **** happens
Homey's got to eat y'know

frankensooner
4/17/2007, 02:30 PM
Hey, that kid was in Juvie lock up for 11 days. Do you all know what goes on in those kind of places? Have you seen Oz? It is often times just like that, only worse, because they are teenagers with raging hormones. Uh, yeah, forgive and forget. :rolleyes:

KABOOKIE
4/17/2007, 04:38 PM

Um wrong case dude. Many people **** up on their own and find someone else to blame (Re: Pouring coffee on your lap). This kid did nothing wrong and spent 12 days is the kiddie pen. Bitch should be fired.

Hamhock
4/17/2007, 04:41 PM
Um wrong case dude. Many people **** up on their own and find someone else to blame (Re: Pouring coffee on your lap). This kid did nothing wrong and spent 12 days is the kiddie pen. Bitch should be fired.

never said she shouldn't be fired.

LilSooner
4/17/2007, 04:43 PM
That poor kid. Hell yeah I would sue. A kid who had never as much got detention gets locked up 12 days for something he never did. Then the principal acts like an ***.

The whole thing is ridiculous. She should lose her job, and the kid should get a nice settlement.

Hamhock
4/17/2007, 04:50 PM
so, some money will make it right? it'll turn him into a kid with money which is rarely a good thing.

i'm sure the kid is a celebrity 'cause of this.

if he or his family were out money, the school should reimburse them. anything beyond that is silly. she screwed up. fire her. but why sue her and ruin her life?

LilSooner
4/17/2007, 05:20 PM
Not her the school district.

They locked a kid up for almost two weeks! IF you got locked up for two weeks would you be pretty hacked off. Especially if it was for something that you didn't even do?

Hamhock
4/17/2007, 06:04 PM
Not her the school district.

They locked a kid up for almost two weeks! IF you got locked up for two weeks would you be pretty hacked off. Especially if it was for something that you didn't even do?

sure, i'd be mad.

so what's it worth? $50,000 $100,000? what undoes the fact that the kid spent 2 weeks in juvie?

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 06:07 PM
so what's it worth? $50,000 $100,000? what undoes the fact that the kid spent 2 weeks in juvie?

There needs to be a punishment/deterrent to the school district as much as a reward to the kid. Make them donate it to Project Innocence or something like that. Whatever, as long as they don't get off scot free.

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 06:07 PM
I think she should have a choice of being fired or spending two weeks in juvie herself.

Hamhock
4/17/2007, 06:08 PM
There needs to be a punishment/deterrent to the school district as much as a reward to the kid. Make them donate it to Project Innocence or something like that. Whatever, as long as they don't get off scot free.

then fire the people involved. i'm not clear how fining the school (taxpayers) helps anyone except the lawyers.

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 06:10 PM
then fire the people involved.

That's fine, too.

skycat
4/17/2007, 10:03 PM
I have no problem with the kid getting restitution. His family should sue, and they shouldn't feel bad for it.

Pricetag
4/18/2007, 09:55 AM
I wasn't aware that school districts could place kids in juvie. Isn't it the civil authorities who were responsible for that part? Sure, the school conducted the initial investigation. They should have caught the timing error, but all indications were that he was the one. The principle did act incredibly unprofessional, and should be held liable for that by her employers. But I highly doubt it was the school district that put the kid behind bars.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
4/18/2007, 10:32 AM
She should be put in some kind of jail/detention for 12 days and see how she likes it.