PDA

View Full Version : what the hellcrap?

yermom
4/17/2007, 10:03 AM
um, what's going on at OU???

Ike
4/17/2007, 10:05 AM
TO: Students, Faculty, and Staff

Students, faculty and staff should stay in their buildings or dorms until further notice.

Ruuuuuufus
4/17/2007, 10:07 AM
speculation on the radio of a "mysterious" person in the physical science building

Petro-Sooner
4/17/2007, 10:08 AM
Nothing on the OU web site.

Ike
4/17/2007, 10:09 AM
Oh...well, I'm going out for a smoke.

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 10:09 AM
Oh...well, I'm going out for a smoke.

Yeah, it probably doesn't apply to you. :D

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 10:10 AM
speculation on the radio of a "mysterious" person in the physical science building

Oh lord, here we go.

yermom
4/17/2007, 10:11 AM
see Ike's thread

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/17/2007, 10:12 AM
Scuttlebutt is that someone saw someone carrying a mysterious package into the huffman and called 911 and it turned out to be a yoga mat.

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 10:12 AM
All clear. Crisis over.

Petro-Sooner
4/17/2007, 10:13 AM
nm

Ike
heh. What I love about this is that, in my experience, the "further notice" rarely comes.

unless they were just testing their 'lockdown' procedures.

hah.

C&CDean
Has anyone told russell yet? You know, so he can make the decision to evacuate with his kids?

Sooner24
4/17/2007, 10:14 AM
My son just called and said they just released them from class.

JohnnyMack
4/17/2007, 10:15 AM
Has anyone told russell yet? You know, so he can make the decision to evacuate with his kids?

He's digging a fraidy hole in his backyard right now and can't be reached for comment.

yermom
4/17/2007, 10:15 AM
Scuttlebutt is that someone saw someone carrying a mysterious package into the huffman and called 911 and it turned out to be a yoga mat.

i hope that's a joke

or, i guess i don't

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 10:16 AM
unless they were just testing their 'lockdown' procedures.

It was definitely not a drill from what I heard. But maybe that's just what they want us to think....

Hatfield
4/17/2007, 10:16 AM

we should also inform jerk that al queso isn't attacking from within

C&CDean
4/17/2007, 10:17 AM
But were they delivering asian food?

crawfish
4/17/2007, 10:18 AM
I dunno, a yoga mat could leave a SERIOUS welt.

Petro-Sooner
4/17/2007, 10:19 AM
Just talked to a buddy whos old lady was in lock down for a short time in Catlett.

Ike
4/17/2007, 10:20 AM
It was definitely not a drill from what I heard. But maybe that's just what they want us to think....
(I haven't gotten my "further notice yet")
I'm betting it was a drill, and they are going to send an email to all OU folkses in a couple of day detailing what they are going to change in the event that they need to lock down the campus. My guess is that they were trying to identify weaknesses in their system (assuming they even have a system), and find ways of fixing them.

At least, thats what I'd do if I were a university president just one day after the worst school shooting ever. You don't want to tell the students and faculty until it's all over because basically your job is to herd them like sheep away from wherever the danger is.

yermom
4/17/2007, 10:21 AM
yeah, i got a freaked out call from Catlett myself

yermom
4/17/2007, 10:22 AM
(I haven't gotten my "further notice yet")
I'm betting it was a drill, and they are going to send an email to all OU folkses in a couple of day detailing what they are going to change in the event that they need to lock down the campus. My guess is that they were trying to identify weaknesses in their system (assuming they even have a system), and find ways of fixing them.

At least, thats what I'd do if I were a university president just one day after the worst school shooting ever. You don't want to tell the students and faculty until it's all over because basically your job is to herd them like sheep away from wherever the danger is.

coming soon:

The OU Police Department has made a saturated search of the area where a person carrying a suspicious object was spotted. No person with a weapon has been found. It is now believed that the person was possibly carrying a yoga mat which was mistaken for a weapon.. We should therefore proceed with the normal schedule. The individual carrying the items was described as a caucasian male of student age partially balding or with short hair and wearing a yellow shirt. If such a person is seen carrying a suspicious object it should be reported to the OU Police Department at 1911 or 325-1717 or blue phones should be used. If anyone feels that he may have been the person who was seen and was thought to be carrying a weapon that person should also call the OU Police Department to reassure the community.

Thank you for your cooperation

David L. Boren

President

Petro-Sooner
4/17/2007, 10:23 AM
If they could go ahead and lock it down til 1:15 for training that would be fine by me.

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 10:25 AM
yeah, i got a freaked out call from Catlett myself

I hope you told :dolemite: to get his *** to work.

Ike
4/17/2007, 10:26 AM
Next thing you know, they are going to install campus wide intercoms in every building. during a lockdown, you'll hear hear someone come over the intercom and say "Code Black! Code Black!", and nobody will know what the hell that means.

TopDawg
4/17/2007, 10:27 AM
Next thing you know, they are going to install campus wide intercoms in every building. during a lockdown, you'll hear hear someone come over the intercom and say "Code Black! Code Black!", and nobody will know what the hell that means.

Dude, "Code Black" means "log on to SoonerFans.com for more details."

yermom
4/17/2007, 10:28 AM
it's more like "Yellow Alert"

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 10:29 AM
"Code Black! Code Black!"

Dude, ixnay on the ackblay....

Ike
4/17/2007, 10:30 AM
it's more like "Yellow Alert"
you ever notice that nobody ever uses "Red Alert" anymore?
What did red ever do to anybody?

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 10:32 AM

It causes cancer in M&Ms, and is damaging to the ego of elementary school students.

TopDawg
4/17/2007, 10:39 AM

Ask 04.

proud gonzo
4/17/2007, 10:57 AM
ok, they locked down classes and we got the all clear at 10. Somebody thought a kid carried a rifle into Huffman (which probably wasn't a rifle--i tend to believe the yoga-mat freak out story) and I also heard some rumor that somebody was on the roof of the dorms. probably all a bunch of crap.

there hasn't been another email yet, but the mysterious powers that be told us we could leave class. who the heck knows.

Ardmore_Sooner
4/17/2007, 10:59 AM
The Sports Animal was saying something to the effect of a evacuation at St. Edwards University in Austin....

Ike
4/17/2007, 11:03 AM
ok, they locked down classes and we got the all clear at 10. Somebody thought a kid carried a rifle into Huffman (which probably wasn't a rifle--i tend to believe the yoga-mat freak out story) and I also heard some rumor that somebody was on the roof of the dorms. probably all a bunch of crap.

there hasn't been another email yet, but the mysterious powers that be told us we could leave class. who the heck knows.

I still say "drill"

but what do I know...I'm at the OU Chicago campus (which is really just a cubicle)

TheBobbyTrain
4/17/2007, 11:04 AM
ha, I was walking into the Huff at the time of the report of suspicious guy and while yoga class was going on. No one told me anything and I left the Huff at 10:20, so apparently it wasn't even on lockdown when it was the suspected area.

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 11:06 AM
I killed a kitten on a yoga mat once.

yermom
4/17/2007, 11:09 AM
ha, I was walking into the Huff at the time of the report of suspicious guy and while yoga class was going on. No one told me anything and I left the Huff at 10:20, so apparently it wasn't even on lockdown when it was the suspected area.

you weren't carrying a yoga mat, were you?

stoopified
4/17/2007, 11:09 AM
The Sports Animal was saying something to the effect of a evacuation at St. Edwards University in Austin....
They are proably under seige by the UT rabble.

Scott D
4/17/2007, 11:12 AM
coming soon:

The OU Police Department has made a saturated search of the area where a person carrying a suspicious object was spotted. No person with a weapon has been found. It is now believed that the person was possibly carrying a yoga mat which was mistaken for a weapon.. We should therefore proceed with the normal schedule. The individual carrying the items was described as a caucasian male of student age partially balding or with short hair and wearing a yellow shirt. If such a person is seen carrying a suspicious object it should be reported to the OU Police Department at 1911 or 325-1717 or blue phones should be used. If anyone feels that he may have been the person who was seen and was thought to be carrying a weapon that person should also call the OU Police Department to reassure the community.

David L. Boren

President

has anyone inquired as to why 1TC was on campus? :D

this reminds me of the professor who was bringing that musket to his social studies class back in 93 that caused a panic in the dorms that a gunman was in that building.

PrideTrombone
4/17/2007, 11:13 AM

He's not balding. I am, but I'm not wearing yellow today and I'm at work about 50 miles away. :)

Ike
4/17/2007, 11:13 AM
coming soon:

David L. Boren

President
ya know what's sad....I thought this was a joke.

I just got this email, and now I'm just a little embarrased of OU for WAY overreacting.

proud gonzo
4/17/2007, 11:14 AM
I still say "drill"

but what do I know...I'm at the OU Chicago campus (which is really just a cubicle)
I don't think anybody would be stupid enough to do a drill of this sort right after that and risk a panic for no reason. I mean, they don't even test tornado sirens on days it's cloudy.

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 11:15 AM
Thank God they didn't have one of those giant balls.

They would have had to evacuate Norman.

Scott D
4/17/2007, 11:15 AM
with a headline in the Transcript tomorrow of "Death By Jazzercize."

King Crimson
4/17/2007, 11:18 AM
"saturated search". Big Dave needs better writers or PR flunkees....that's terrible.

Ike
4/17/2007, 11:21 AM
I don't think anybody would be stupid enough to do a drill of this sort right after that and risk a panic for no reason. I mean, they don't even test tornado sirens on days it's cloudy.

I don't know. I would, because I think the panic caused might be the closest thing to simulating a real incident, which is what you want in a drill.

But then again, I also love chaos.

StoopTroup
4/17/2007, 11:22 AM
I hope Soonerus left the stadium...

I love yoga...

Strawberry-banana is the shiznitz...

TheBobbyTrain
4/17/2007, 11:22 AM

No I was not. I didn't need a yoga mat because I was going to the gym to do manly things, not yoga. And I was wearing a dark blue shirt, not yellow.

OUBabe
4/17/2007, 11:26 AM
I was part of the lockdown. We were in a room w/ computer access and only about 1/3 got the email (I still haven't). OU.edu had nothing and this is all the HUB has
[http://hub.ou.edu/articles/article.php?item_id=1460855071

StoopTroup
4/17/2007, 11:28 AM
Calling in something to 911 just becasue your trying to get locked down with some hawt chicks in a yoga class is probably illegal.

TopDawg
4/17/2007, 11:41 AM
ya know what's sad....I thought this was a joke.

I just got this email, and now I'm just a little embarrased of OU for WAY overreacting.

What do you think would've been a more appropriate way of responding to "I just saw someone walk into the Huff with a rifle."

I mean, I'm not certain what they were told, but apparently somebody thought this dude had a gun. Considering the circumstances...well, I dunno.

85Sooner
4/17/2007, 11:48 AM
I dunno, a yoga mat could leave a SERIOUS welt.

I was thinkin the same thing

proud gonzo
4/17/2007, 11:49 AM
I don't think OU overreacted, especially with all the criticism VT is taking for not locking down the school sooner. however, I think the moron who saw a yoga mat and flipped out thinking it was a gun was retarded.

That's almost as bad as the person last year who saw a lunch bag on the sidewalk and called the bomb squad.

yermom
4/17/2007, 11:52 AM
people are scared... and the idea of a copycat isn't that strange

i think if nothing else, it was a good test

yermom
4/17/2007, 11:53 AM
has anyone inquired as to why 1TC was on campus? :D

if they had mentioned a pink hat, then we would have known

Ike
4/17/2007, 11:54 AM
What do you think would've been a more appropriate way of responding to "I just saw someone walk into the Huff with a rifle."

I mean, I'm not certain what they were told, but apparently somebody thought this dude had a gun. Considering the circumstances...well, I dunno.
If thats what they were told, I understand...but seriously, a yoga mat? In times such as these, a lot of people tend to see danger where there is none. How the hell does a yoga mat translate into a rifle?

Also...had someone carried a rifle into a building, is it really the smartest thing to lock down the building? Doing so gives him a captive, target rich environment until the police can arrive. Maybe it is smart...but I don't know. Seems to me that you essentially sacrifice the people in the building for the safety of those outside it.

And if he really did have a gun, I don't think a lockdown would have kept him in the building if police didn't arrive very quickly.

I don't know the answers to these questions...which is why I ask them.

proud gonzo
4/17/2007, 12:10 PM
i understand that people are scared and that a copycat wouldn't be unheard of. I wasn't criticizing people for being scared. I was just wondering (like Ike) how the hell you can mistake a yoga mat for a gun. People are dumb and don't know what firearms actually look like (or what size they are) and go nuts. If the person had stopped for even a second to wonder "what is he actuallyholding?" it wouldn't have been a problem.

and Ike--I don't think the lockdown was specifically to keep the guy and all the people inside that building--i think it was to keep the rest of campus inside the buildings because they didn't at that point know for certain what was going on.

yermom
4/17/2007, 12:13 PM
maybe it was in some tactical looking bag or a violin case or something

Ike
4/17/2007, 12:47 PM
an umbrella.

Fraggle145
4/17/2007, 01:01 PM
TO: All Student, Faculty, and Staff

The person apparently seen by the student making the earlier report has self-identified himself. He was carrying an umbrella and not a weapon. We appreciate his action in identifying himself. We now consider the matter closed. I appreciate the cooperation from the university community in this matter. We always want to err on the side of caution in a situation like this.

Sincerely,

David L. Boren
President

Scott D
4/17/2007, 01:03 PM
i understand that people are scared and that a copycat wouldn't be unheard of. I wasn't criticizing people for being scared. I was just wondering (like Ike) how the hell you can mistake a yoga mat for a gun. People are dumb and don't know what firearms actually look like (or what size they are) and go nuts. If the person had stopped for even a second to wonder "what is he actuallyholding?" it wouldn't have been a problem.

and Ike--I don't think the lockdown was specifically to keep the guy and all the people inside that building--i think it was to keep the rest of campus inside the buildings because they didn't at that point know for certain what was going on.

a tightly wrapped yoga mat in it's straps could easily be mistaken for a rifle in it's case from someone at a distance.

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 01:17 PM
half of my instructors could be mistaken as psycho.

proud gonzo
4/17/2007, 02:52 PM
a tightly wrapped yoga mat in it's straps could easily be mistaken for a rifle in it's case from someone at a distance.i can understand that to a degree, but if you see somebody with a yoga mat at an excercise facility wouldn't you first think "yoga mat" rather than "gun"?

that's as silly as, i don't know, someone seeing a guy with an umbrella on a cloudy, rainy day and thinking "holy ****, he has a gun!"

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 02:57 PM
that's as silly as, i don't know, someone seeing a guy with an umbrella on a cloudy, rainy day and think "holy ****, he has a gun!"

Or as silly as seeing some white powder next to a box of detergent in the laundry room and thinking, "ANTHRAX!"

Scott D
4/17/2007, 03:10 PM
i can understand that to a degree, but if you see somebody with a yoga mat at an excercise facility wouldn't you first think "yoga mat" rather than "gun"?

that's as silly as, i don't know, someone seeing a guy with an umbrella on a cloudy, rainy day and thinking "holy ****, he has a gun!"

I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up that the initial shock person who made the initial call was coming down from some sort of chemically induced high and had the resulting hangover.

proud gonzo
4/17/2007, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the person was a tard.

Scott D
4/17/2007, 03:18 PM
same difference :)

TUSooner
4/17/2007, 03:22 PM
If a campus were locked down every time somebody weird went into a physical science building....uh....

it would probably be locked down a lot.:O

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 05:28 PM
We made the national news over this. :rolleyes:

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 05:31 PM
the horsepigs have to go.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/17/2007, 05:34 PM

I 2nd that. Nothing good has come of them. Stupid yoga horsepigs.

proud gonzo
4/17/2007, 05:38 PM
you can't be serious.

bri
4/17/2007, 05:40 PM
The obvious question is, was George "Buster" Rhymes back on campus today?

yermom
4/17/2007, 05:43 PM
oh, so that was why they had us all in check

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 05:43 PM

Let's review the horsepigs' Reign of Terror:

2005 football season
the Oregon debacle
Boise F'in State
0-2 against Texas
Larry Cochell
Kelvin Sampson
Bomar
2 NCAA investigations
QB transfers
AD injuries
a suicide bomber
umbrellagate

What am I missing?

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 05:44 PM
you can't be serious.

About the horsepigs? Oh yeah, we're serious. :mad:

TheUnnamedSooner
4/17/2007, 05:48 PM

What am I missing?

Peterson's injuries. Didn't miss a game cause of injury til those damn horsepigs and would have gotten sims record and heisman. :mad:

proud gonzo
4/17/2007, 05:48 PM
i meant about us making national news about that crap

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 05:54 PM

Yep. My parents called me from Dallas a few minutes ago. Saw it on CNN earlier today. BLEH.

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 05:55 PM
Peterson's injuries. Didn't miss a game cause of injury til those damn horsepigs and would have gotten sims record and heisman. :mad:

They're already on the list, towards the bottom.

Scott D
4/17/2007, 07:29 PM

well if making the national news means being sandwiched between the thing at Tenn-Chattanooga and the thing at the college in Austin..then yes, it made the national news. Most outposts are reporting the three incidents together as a single story.

TopDawg
4/17/2007, 07:31 PM

2005 football season
the Oregon debacle
Boise F'in State
0-2 against Texas
Larry Cochell
Kelvin Sampson
Bomar
2 NCAA investigations
QB transfers
AD injuries
a suicide bomber
umbrellagate

What am I missing?

The Texas Tech debacle
Best basketball recruiting class in years transfers
Nation's longest post-season streak ends

bri
4/17/2007, 09:21 PM
Wait...Calvin Simpson was one of the horsepigs?

I KNEW IT!!! :mad:

BajaOklahoma
4/17/2007, 09:48 PM
So if each of us write a letter to the athletic department about the h-p and get two friends to do the same..... It could be our off-season project.

Just think - SF.com, Home of the People Who Retired the H-P. I bet Phil would put it on a banner up at the top.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/18/2007, 12:54 PM
They're already on the list, towards the bottom.

So, I didn't read your list. sorry, just emphasizing how much they suck. :)