PDA

View Full Version : Question about OUr "creampuffs..."

goingoneight
4/17/2007, 12:07 AM
... does anyone know anything about them? I don't want us hanging by a score to beat UNT like the UAB game on OUr home field... and I certainly don't want another TCU or UCLA (though both teams were good that year, neither were half as talented as we were).

All I know is the name of the UNT head coach, and a little about Tulsa, since they're local. Last three teams I failed to research turned out to be pretty damn good teams (Boise State, Hook 'em 2006... because I honestly thought a frosh QB= 'W' for OU, TCU). Just wondering if any other Sooners have done their homework on the powers Joe C. scheduled outside of tha U. :)

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 01:06 AM
... does anyone know anything about them?

UNT has sucked the past couple of years, even by Sunbelt standards...hence the new coach. It will be interesting to see what Dodge can do at the next level, although it will harder for him recruit players at UNT than it was at Southlake. :texan:

Tulsa is kind of scary, especially since that's going to be in their house. Kragthorpe is still there, right? Or did last year's coaching carousel carry him up and out?

Utah State...I didn't even know there was a Utah State. I mean, you figure there might be since most states have a ____ State, but you never really know. Mormon Aggies--polygamous and polyspecies.

goingoneight
4/17/2007, 01:35 AM
Mormon Aggies!!! :D BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

stonecoldsoonerfan
4/17/2007, 05:42 AM
being in "their house" is like going to the cotton bowl. it will be probably about half crimson n cream. basically like a home game for OU.

TripleOption14
4/17/2007, 06:00 AM
Tulsa is kind of scary, especially since that's going to be in their house. Kragthorpe is still there, right? Or did last year's coaching carousel carry him up and out?

Kragthorpe is now the Louisville coach. Tulsa is under new management so we maybe catching them at just right time since the game is in their place. If Kragthorpe was still the coach I would be more worried but since he gone and a whole new staff is in place OU should be fine.

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/17/2007, 07:28 AM
Utah State = blowout

UNT = slow start but a good win by anout 17

Tulsa = another slow start but I think OU wins by at least 20+

MichiganSooner
4/17/2007, 07:53 AM
Actually, the new staff is not that new. The new head coach was a coordinator 2 seasons ago at TU before leaving for a one year stint as a head coach. He knows the players. A few other assistants from Kragthorpe's staff also remain. Tulsa gave OU all we could handle a couple years ago at OU. Does anyone remember Paul Smith as a freshman making several completions while being hit and sometimes his body paralell to the ground? He's a junior now. AD went on a tremendous multiple tackle-breaking run to pull out the win in the 4th quarter. This will be a dangerous game; I plan on being there.

Ash
4/17/2007, 08:23 AM
Utah State has had some good years in the past but was abysmal on both sides of the ball last year. They went 1-11 overall, 1-7 in the WAC. They're lone win was against Fresno State :eek:, usually a pretty good team. The frosh QB that led them to that one victory will be gone on a Mormon mission this upcoming season.

They return several players on O and D, but are looking to fill the starting QB and TB spots on offense.

Linebacker Paul Igboeli was named WAC Freshman of the Year and Sporting News honorable mention Freshman All-American for 2006. He saw limited playing time until league play last year but had 69 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 for fumbles that went to da house.

Darrel Dickey, UNT's ex-head coach, is their new offensive coordinator.

I don't see why this couldn't be an absolute blow out by OU.

MojoRisen
4/17/2007, 08:41 AM
TU will be up for us but, I expect OU to be even more dominant this year physically. I say 28-7 or 31-10

Ash
4/17/2007, 09:04 AM
Todd Dodge has filled the top assistant coach positions with high school coaches, most from SLC, including O and D coordinators. The funny thing is, the coaches on his staff with D-1 experience are the position coaches (including former coordinators), except the cornerbacks coach which hasn't been in the game since 1993.

I respect what Dodge and his staff did at SLC but that surprises me a little bit.

They played the whorns last year and looked like an intramural team.

They went 3-9 overall, 2-5 in the sunbelt. Best (?) win was against SMU. They couldn't score if they wanted to, gave up 25+ points average on D.

Two of their top performers on offense last year, including WR Quinn, were seniors and won't return. A couple of other players garnered second team All-Conference honors.

Jamario Thomas is a good running back but hasn't put up very impressive numbers (668 yds, 2 TD last year).

They're OL is losing some key players.

It will be interesting to see what Dodge and crew can accomplish.

I think this should be an OU blow out.

Ash
4/17/2007, 09:18 AM
Todd Graham has basically brought his Rice staff with him to TU with the addition of Tulsa's D coordinator from last year, Gus Malzahn as O coordinator from Arkie-saw...heh, and a couple others including Bill Blankenship.

As everyone on the board prolly knows, TU was pretty good under Kragthorpe and seemed to be building momentum. It'll be pretty interesting to see how the new staff does.

Kragthorpe was able to get some good players. I think this will be the toughest of the cupcakes, not because it's an "away" game but because this should be, by far, the best team of the three.

The_Red_Patriot
4/17/2007, 10:02 AM
TU will run a hurry up-no huddle offense.

Malzon at his finest

JDawg2303
4/17/2007, 10:35 AM
:D These should be some good games for whoever our QB (I believe Bradford will win it) will be to warm up and get some experience. As for Tulsa, from what it sounds like, shouldn't be to much of a game unless our guys get cocky (which they are prone to do) and dig themselves a big hole. The only way we will lose that game or any of the non-conference games is by beating ourselves.

As for being in Tulsa's place, have any of you been in Skelley Stadium. It is nowhere near OK Memorial's atmosphere or capacity. Plus like someone posted before, it will probably be half and half. It may even be more skewed towards OU than Tulsa. So throw out home field advantage. Weather won't be a problem because Tulsa has the same weather as Norman (I live in Bartlesville and just graduated from OU), so that's not an issue.

So if everyone is more worried about Tulsa, then I say we look pretty good for our non-conference games (except Miami which will be very interesting. I hope they'll have plenty of security on the Miami bench :D).

insuranceman_22
4/17/2007, 11:20 PM
UNT and Utah State SHOULDN'T provide a challenge to us. We'll have more experienced, stronger, faster and more physically imposing player at most positions. With that being said, I believe that's exactly what we all thought before our last game........but these two are no Boise's. Tulsa will be the best of the three, but we should be able to over power them.

As for the JDawg statement, he might want to take a look at our nonconference schedule again......little team called Miami that should definately pose a challenge. I think we'll win it, but it's going to be a physical dogfight!

Collier11
4/17/2007, 11:34 PM
UNT and UTAH STATE will be blowouts, tulsa will be around a 14-17 pt game I believe. And anyone who looks past miami is crazy, their D is really good and I forsee a 14-10 or 17-13 type game

snp
4/18/2007, 07:09 AM
Anyone that thinks Tulsa stands a chance is letting their Tulsa fan side show. Just because Paul Smith had one good game against us does not make him some elite QB.

As for playing in "their" house, 10,000 Tulsa fans won't be very intimidating for the players. This will be a cakewalk along with the Utah State and UNT.

stonecoldsoonerfan
4/18/2007, 07:38 AM
smith had an all-american tight end to throw to in that game too. he was more of a threat than smith was.

PrideTrombone
4/18/2007, 07:38 AM
Anyone that thinks Tulsa stands a chance is letting their Tulsa fan side show. Just because Paul Smith had one good game against us does not make him some elite QB.

As for playing in "their" house, 10,000 Tulsa fans won't be very intimidating for the players. This will be a cakewalk along with the Utah State and UNT.

Paul Smith had a great game against us because of that freaking tight end he kept throwing to that we kept deciding not to pay any attention to.

snp
4/18/2007, 09:15 AM
Exactly what I was referring to.

Widescreen
4/18/2007, 10:53 AM
I've watched P. Smith play quite a bit. I think some of you are underestimating him. He's extremely savvy. He's kind of awkward and unconventional but makes plays which reminds me a little of Heupel. And to discount what he did by saying it was all the TE isn't fair IMO. Any QB who loses their best (and really ONLY) receiving target is going to have problems.

Still, I think we win by at least 2 TD's. Skelly isn't really a home field advantage and we're better at pretty much every position.

snp
4/18/2007, 11:56 AM
Passing for 2700 yards in CUSA doesn't impress me very much. If Smith played for Tulane, no one would care about him on this board.

mxATVracer10
4/18/2007, 03:48 PM
I wouldn't even expect it to be 50/50 at Tulsa, the OU fans will far outnumber Tulsa fans. Hell, me and my brother went to the TU game after watching the oregon fiasco unfold at a nearby drinkin establishment. At one point in the game around the 3rd quarter, the Boomer Sooner chant started up. Not near as loud as home of course, but still impressive considering we weren't even playing :texan:

OKC-SLC
4/18/2007, 09:49 PM
Texas returns an experienced QB who may be the best in the Big 12. Their coach (Mack something-or-other) has herpes. Should be a good game.

RedstickSooner
4/18/2007, 10:50 PM
These Thursday and Friday night games seem to heavily, heavily favor the underdog.

The two games which worry me on our schedule are Texas (because that's always the most talented team we face) and Tulsa. Miami will be a challenge, but we'll be up for it -- we'll view it as a big game, and we've got it at home. So I don't worry too much about it.

Tulsa we'll take for granted, we'll have on a weird day of week, and not in our home stadium (number of fans doesn't matter so much, particularly with how lousy OUr fans are at making noise -- I think the team is just fond of playing at home). It's a game I take very seriously, and one which worries me.

Blues1
4/18/2007, 11:47 PM
I'm just posting to be postin'
Here I go again --- OU 44 Tulsa 6 --- OU 34 Miami 12 -- Why Not...??

Yep Still R'

Jewstin
4/18/2007, 11:54 PM
Durka durka durka durka durka! Colt McCoy had "the most prolific freshman season for a quarterback in the history of college football" (direct pull from hornfans.com), so we have zero chance of beating Texas.

McCoy will single handedly win the game for them -- on defense. They'll substitute him at defensive tackle, and he'll sack (and simultaneously decapitate) our quarterback for a loss of 47 yards and a safety, winning the game for Texas.

goingoneight
4/19/2007, 01:03 AM
OU 42 (P)UNT 10-- Judging how UNT has played in recent years.
OU 21 MIA 7-- Will be like Washington in 2006, close through 3, OU takes over late.
OU 45 Mormon Aggies 3-- Exhibition game, no?
OU 38 TU 17-- Tulsa will score points until Stoops and Co. figures out "Tha Wildcat." Close game until kickoff. :D

goingoneight
4/19/2007, 01:04 AM
Durka durka durka durka durka! Colt McCoy had "the most prolific freshman season for a quarterback in the history of college football" (direct pull from hornfans.com), so we have zero chance of beating Texas.

McCoy will single handedly win the game for them -- on defense. They'll substitute him at defensive tackle, and he'll sack (and simultaneously decapitate) our quarterback for a loss of 47 yards and a safety, winning the game for Texas.

Don't forget his interceptions and 300-yards rushing on that day. :rolleyes: