PDA

View Full Version : How Fortunate Was OU And Sooner Fans

FaninAma
4/16/2007, 09:10 PM
when the crazy guy blew himself up outside of the stadium a couple years ago?

I will always be convinced that that guy meant to hurt other people. It seems that security guards turned him away twice at the gates and I think he was waiting for the game to end to detonate his bomb as people leaving the game filed by.

It is sad that the psycho at VT couldn't be stopped earlier but it does, on relfection, make me feel very fortunate that the stadium security personnel kept the bomber out of the stadium.

College campuses are so vulnerable as are any large gathering of people attending events like sporting events. It's really a sad development that there seems to be a proliferation of people who are so angry and isolated from the rest of their community that they resort to these mass revenge-suicide killings.

Okla-homey
4/16/2007, 09:24 PM
We just need to keep in mind it is dang near impossible to prevent a killer from doing his deeds if he doesn't mind getting killed in the process. Therefore, I hope folks aren't too hard on the VT administration.

SoonerBorn68
4/16/2007, 09:24 PM
I'm still not convinced that dude was some crazy, depressed loner. The fact he was associated with the Islamic Society of Norman still looms large in my mind.

picasso
4/16/2007, 09:25 PM
to be honest I've thought about it since 9/11. people packed in at these sporting events. thank God it hasn't happened.

btw, I was in the crapper when the kid blew himself up.

yermom
4/16/2007, 09:26 PM
it sounded a lot like the ROTC cannon... i didn't really think much when i heard it

jdsooner
4/16/2007, 09:27 PM
I thought about that night and hearing that explosion. It is my belief that he was a suicide bomber who meant to take some people with him. If he wanted to die alone, he could have put a gun to his head at home.

SoonerBorn68
4/16/2007, 09:27 PM
I was watching Fox News today & gun control was bought up. The comment was if concealed carry was allowed on college property much of today's tragedy might have and could have been stopped

Okla-homey
4/16/2007, 09:31 PM
I was watching Fox News today & gun control was bought up. The comment was if concealed carry was allowed on college property much of today's tragedy might have and could have been stopped

One witness stated the perp stopped firing to reload several times. if somebody had been carrying in accordance with a Virginia CCP, this might have ended sooner...but then again, the VT Board of Trustees voted to make VT gun-free as they were allowed to do under VA state law, meaning no CC at VT.

C&CDean
4/16/2007, 09:45 PM
Oh no, time ****ing out here. "Legal concealed carry?" What a joke. I couldn't care less if a dude had just broke out of prison and robbed a sporting goods store of a rifle, and then shot the dude. I carry, and no, not "legally." I don't care. I live by the age-old adage "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6."

Rhino
4/16/2007, 09:46 PM
We just need to keep in mind it is dang near impossible to prevent a killer from doing his deeds if he doesn't mind getting killed in the process. Therefore, I hope folks aren't too hard on the VT administration. Yep.

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 10:06 PM
Given the questions about the delay between V.Tech first shooting...
... and the subsequent carnage and questions about why the University did not seal off the campus after the first shooting....Here is my question, why did OU not seal off the campus after the bombing outside the stadium two years ago.... I have always been angry I was not told and given the option of leaving...we, as fans, were left in the dark, I have always resented that...

royalfan5
4/16/2007, 10:07 PM
This reminds me of a discussion I had with the guy I go to football games with. We were waiting for one of the Nebraska games to kickoff, and began to discuss how effective the cops with guns would have been if somebody would have opened fire inside Memorial Stadium. The discussion was sparked by the fact that some weeks we would have to walk through a metal detector and get patted down, and other weeks I would walk with in a heavy coat with no checking. If somebody would have gotten into the Stadium it would have been quite easy to cause a lot of harm before the handful of cops could have done anything. Our basic consensus was that if you aren't going have consistent security outside the stadium, a few cops with guns inside weren't going to do a whole lot other than make it worse.

But really when you think about it, a mass event like a football game with large crowds, it would be very easy for a shooter to cause a lot of harm even if there were a bunch of people packing, if their main goal was to kill as many as they could as fast as they can.

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 10:09 PM
This reminds me of a discussion I had with the guy I go to football games with. We were waiting for one of the Nebraska games to kickoff, and began to discuss how effective the cops with guns would have been if somebody would have opened fire inside Memorial Stadium. The discussion was sparked by the fact that some weeks we would have to walk through a metal detector and get patted down, and other weeks I would walk with in a heavy coat with no checking. If somebody would have gotten into the Stadium it would have been quite easy to cause a lot of harm before the handful of cops could have done anything. Our basic consensus was that if you aren't going have consistent security outside the stadium, a few cops with guns inside weren't going to do a whole lot other than make it worse.

But really when you think about it, a mass event like a football game with large crowds, it would be very easy for a shooter to cause a lot of harm even if there were a bunch of people packing, if their main goal was to kill as many as they could as fast as they can.

better place for a bomb...

royalfan5
4/16/2007, 10:13 PM
better place for a bomb...
At UNL it would be much easier to get close with guns, than it would with bomb because of the traffic set-up.

picasso
4/16/2007, 10:17 PM
... and the subsequent carnage and questions about why the University did not seal off the campus after the first shooting....Here is my question, why did OU not seal off the campus after the bombing outside the stadium two years ago.... I have always been angry I was not told and given the option of leaving...we, as fans, were left in the dark, I have always resented that...

I honestly think there would have been a stampede of major proportions. too many idiots out there who overreact.

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 10:26 PM
I honestly think there would have been a stampede of major proportions. too many idiots out there who overreact.

Should that not been our decision to leave or not...instead the decision was made for all of us...OU is darn lucky ....

SoonerBBall

I was at the game, and all I can say is thank God no one told the stadium that some moron blew himself up outside. Do you have any idea how many people would have been seriously injured, and possibly killed, if they made that announcement and people went into a frenzy trying to get out of the stadium? Individual people can be very smart and look at situations rationally. Groups of people turn into a mob.

bri
For everyone who's just now figuring out how prime and vunerable of targets major sporting events are...1975 has a message for you.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000GSKKTM.01-A146YS1897FODB._SCLZZZZZZZ_V45631366_SS500_.jpg

We already figured that one out.

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 10:27 PM
It could have been handled section by section...many options were available....

SoonerBBall
4/16/2007, 10:31 PM
Should that not been our decision to leave or not...instead the decision was made for all of us...OU is darn lucky ....

I have come down on you for years about your mistreatment of Nate Hybl and his contribution to OU football, but in all that time, I have never seen you type something that ridiculous.

You are darn lucky that you can sit at your computer and not have to make a decision that could put peoples' lives at risk. If they would have made an announcement about the bomb and somthing awful had happened, than you would be saying they shouldn't have told us . That is, if you didn't die in the chaos that would have followed such an statement.

The OU administration, just like the VT administration, is made up of human beings, and human beings are fallible. Like it or not, they had to make a decision and make one quickly. I, for one, am glad they made the right one.

SoonerBBall
4/16/2007, 10:32 PM
It could have been handled section by section...many options were available....

Because human beings are so very rational and organized when directly faced with their own mortality....

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 10:35 PM
I have come down on you for years about your mistreatment of Nate Hybl and his contribution to OU football, but in all that time, I have never seen you type something that ridiculous.

You are darn lucky that you can sit at your computer and not have to make a decision that could put peoples' lives at risk. If they would have made an announcement about the bomb and somthing awful had happened, than you would be saying they shouldn't have told us . That is, if you didn't die in the chaos that would have followed such an statement.

The OU administration, just like the VT administration, is made up of human beings, and human beings are fallible. Like it or not, they had to make a decision and make one quickly. I, for one, am glad they made the right one.

I appreciate your comments about human beings...I am just saying I was at the game on the bomb side of the stadium and I am still annoyed that I was not informed because I would have taken my son's and left....

SoonerBBall
4/16/2007, 10:42 PM
I appreciate your comments about human beings...I am just saying I was at the game on the bomb side of the stadium and I am still annoyed that I was not informed because I would have taken my son's and left....

I was in the very Southwest corner of the stadium against the West wall, in the closest section to the blast. I know you want to protect yourself and your son, but how you can't see what a mistake telling 85,000 people, packed like sardines in a stadium no less, that a bomb just went off about 150 yrds from them is maddening.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/16/2007, 10:44 PM
I appreciate your comments about human beings...I am just saying I was at the game on the bomb side of the stadium and I am still annoyed that I was not informed because I would have taken my son's and left....I was also on the side that the bomb happened. When the people above us started looking over the top ledge I figured it was something bad. Once people around us with radios started telling what had happened, I was glad they didn't make an announcement and ask us to leave in an orderly fashion. I had confidence they would do what was appropriate or have the blood of 85,000 + people on their hands.

I also feared the mob mentality if they had made such an announcement because I had my five-year-old niece with me. I had visions of the two of us getting trampled if they had said made an announcement.

Where would you have taken your sons anyway? It was already a CF getting out of there that night because they diverted traffic. Think about what would have happened had the whole stadium left at the same exact time.

bri
4/16/2007, 10:44 PM
You idiot, are you so f*cking dense that you can't understand what EVERY PERSON IN THIS THREAD is trying to explain to you? It would have been a F*CKING STAMPEDE if they'd announced what had happened during the game. If you were INCREDIBLY lucky, you would have gotten out with only minor bumps and cuts and bruises...and if not, you would have been trampled to death.

Since you're sitting safe and smug behind a monitor...I'd say OU made the right call. Now shut the f*ck up already.

Fraggle145
4/16/2007, 10:49 PM

You and 84,998 other people... :rolleyes:

SoonerBBall
4/16/2007, 10:50 PM
You idiot, are you so f*cking dense that you can't understand what EVERY PERSON IN THIS THREAD is trying to explain to you? It would have been a F*CKING STAMPEDE if they'd announced what had happened during the game. If you were INCREDIBLY lucky, you would have gotten out with only minor bumps and cuts and bruises...and if not, you would have been trampled to death.

Since you're sitting safe and smug behind a monitor...I'd say OU made the right call. Now shut the f*ck up already.

Man, make fun of Nate Hybl a couple hundred time and it is like everyone turns on you... :D

yermom
4/16/2007, 10:50 PM
i wasn't going anywhere :D

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 10:55 PM

Nice mature analysis, I am saying I am resentful to this ady I was not informed and given a chance to make my own decision about protecting my family...a panic PA announcement would have been dumb...many other options were avaiable...finally, hard not to fret over Hybl after sitting in on the pathetic Cotton Bowl performance...but we all gave this up long ago, right ....

Fraggle145
4/16/2007, 11:01 PM
Nice mature analysis, I am saying I am resentful to this ady I was not informed and given a chance to make my own decision about protecting my family...a panic PA announcement would have been dumb...many other options were avaiable...finally, hard not to fret over Hybl after sitting in on the pathetic Cotton Bowl performance...but we all gave this up long ago, right ....

I would like to get your plan for getting 85,000 to file out in an organized fashion after a bomb went off... What are you gonna do whisper in someone's ear and play telephone?! Section by section, please! as soon as someone like you heard it they would run screaming for the exits. And then where would they go?! into bumper to bumper traffic providing addition fuel to any possible blasts. Not to mention all of the drunken lunatics that are in the game providing an extra element of danger.

This is ridiculous.

Did you ever consider that the majority of people in stressful situations tend to make poor decisions and in mobs it tends to be the same bad decision?

SoonerBBall
4/16/2007, 11:07 PM

Your ability to overlook the good things Nate did for OU in spite of overwhelming evidence supporting them is becoming much more understandable given the way you have argued in this thread.

P.S. Rose Bowl MVP, suck on that, Cotton Bowl.

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 11:11 PM
I would like to get your plan for getting 85,000 to file out in an organized fashion after a bomb went off... What are you gonna do whisper in someone's ear and play telephone?! Section by section, please! as soon as someone like you heard it they would run screaming for the exits. And then where would they go?! into bumper to bumper traffic providing addition fuel to any possible blasts. Not to mention all of the drunken lunatics that are in the game providing an extra element of danger.

This is ridiculous.

Did you ever consider that the majority of people in stressful situations tend to make poor decisions and in mobs it tends to be the same bad decision?

I am not convinced people would have done anything but made a quick exit, no chaos, if they chose to leave, let's remember many die-hards would never leave an ongoing OU game...we just disagree on this... I would have been more conservative, I am not knocking Boren he is obviously a brilliant man and by most standards the best President in OU history...my personal decision on this is different than his, I think Boren did the best he could under the circumstances, just personally I would like to have had the option to leave and I think these notions of mob-chaos are silly....

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 11:13 PM
Your ability to overlook the good things Nate did for OU in spite of overwhelming evidence supporting them is becoming much more understandable given the way you have argued in this thread.

P.S. Rose Bowl MVP, suck on that, Cotton Bowl.

I stopped the Hybl discussions a couple of years ago and I am not going back...it is old news...

StoopTroup
4/16/2007, 11:15 PM
You weren't given the choice and there is a reason, whether you like it or not.

It's called crowd control.

If someone had done what you think should have happened and there would have been a Stampede as Bri is stating might have occurred...

The person making the decision to inform you and the rest of the 80,000+ folks in the stadium as to what had occurred would have been liable and probably held accountable for such a decision should a stampede have happened.

I'm sure there was a review of the situation for future possible problems and Security and Emergency personnel will be trained and informed of Campus / City policy regarding such a matter.

I think is falls under the "Greater Good of the People / Masses...and they made the right decision. I was near the top just north of the pressbox and heard the explosion and thought it was a bad car wreck or something and although I wanted to know what is was...I also was real into watching The Sooners whip the Mildkats. I had my Daughter, Son and Wife with me and the only thing I think that was handled badly was when we exited I almost walked right onto the crime scene with my little boy (3 yrs old at the time). I'm glad they had it under control by then but they should have had better control of the exiting flow. I really had no idea it had been a bomb...I was just glad we killed the Kitties and was ready to get back to the tailgate for a beer. That's the way I've always exited after a game and it was so surreal to later find out why we had to take the route we did back to our car. Very sad.

Since the Authorities were still sorting out what had happened after the game and were concerned there might be other bombs about the Campus area...I'm positive the right decision to keep folks in the Stadium as long as they could...was the right decision.

Whether you like it or not...it was the right thing to do.

Protect and Serve is most Law Enforcements motto...and that's what they did.

Rhino
4/16/2007, 11:20 PM
Then buy a ****ing cell phone or a ****ing radio. But stop acting like anyone should have come over the PA or told 84,501 lunatics section-by-section by sign language or monkey noises that a bomb had exploded outside the stadium.

You know zilch about crowd control if you think 84,501 people could have been evacuated (in anything outside of a rapture) without having a stampede of panicking retards.

And, why why why do you have this damn topic going in three different threads?

****ing ****, man.

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 11:20 PM
I appreciate your opinion and those of others on this board, I respectfully disagree....

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 11:22 PM
And, why why why do you have this damn topic going in three different threads?

****ing ****, man.

Simple answer, Dean would not let me open my own defined thread...

Rhino
4/16/2007, 11:25 PM
So you have to host the monthly "Late Night with Soonerus", posting the same nonsense all over the board?

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 11:27 PM
So you have to host the monthly "Late Night with Soonerus", posting the same nonsense all over the board?

Thanks for the concept, I'll keep it under inactive consideration...

Fraggle145
4/16/2007, 11:27 PM
I appreciate your opinion and those of others on this board, I respectfully disagree....

...and you would be wrong.

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 11:28 PM
...and you would be wrong.

...and I think you are wrong, so enough said...

skycat
4/16/2007, 11:31 PM
I agree with Soonerus wholeheartedly. That game should have been stopped immediately. Everyone, including the players should have bee sent home, and all accounts of the occurrences of that night, both on and off the field, should have been expunged from the record books.

:O

StoopTroup
4/16/2007, 11:33 PM
I think these notions of mob-chaos are silly....
It's not just the mob...

They still had problems directing the flow of people after the Game...

Your scenario is so ill-informed.

They still weren't sure whether that guy had acted alone and if there were other bombs...

I think they tried to give themselves enough time to assess the Crime scene and took crowd control out of the picture by letting people enjoy the Game. While they made sure folks wouldn't walk into any booby-traps which that kid might have set up...

They just didn't have enough facts IMO at the time and they made the wisest choice they could given the sitution of a bomb blast. If the kid had just walked over to a bench and pulled a gun and killed himself or hung himself in a tree, I think you and the Authorites may have acted differently.

The thing is...it was a bomb.

It was OUTSIDE the Stadium...

You were INSIDE the Stadium...

And they were more sure or at least hoping...that if there were more bombs...he might have planted them outside the Stadium, where he more than likely had a better chance of access for a place to hide such ordinance without being caught INSIDE the Stadium.

I think if you add the possibillities the Authorities may have had running through their minds at the time...you might be more open to the fact that you were better off right where you were because...the Kid didn't detonate himself right next to you in your Stadium Seat...he did it outside the Stadium where he could make an impression but not hurt anyone but himself...

Luckily he maybe didn't have a ticket to the game that day...

I think you might feel a whole lot differently had he done the dead inside...

If he had...I think you might not have had to wait for an announcement to exit...

I wiull agree with you on one point...

They could have announced it and they could have closed off some of the exits on the West Side of the Stadium and limited the flow of the crowd.

Still...I think everyone was better off the way it was handled.
:pop: :hot:

StoopTroup
4/16/2007, 11:40 PM
when the crazy guy blew himself up outside of the stadium a couple years ago?

I will always be convinced that that guy meant to hurt other people. It seems that security guards turned him away twice at the gates and I think he was waiting for the game to end to detonate his bomb as people leaving the game filed by.

The funniest thing is this...

By your own account of what happened...

Security held this Kid out of the Stadium...and after he blew himself up OUTSIDE the Stadium...

You think you and your own Children would have been safer OUTSIDE the Stadium...

Seek therapy.

There is a reason for Marshall Law in some cases...

I'm betting it's because of the theory that in a condition of Chaos, it's been proved many times that even the rightous and well meaning people make bad decisions under stress....

In your case...you aren't really even stressed and like a Thoroughbred Horse...you want to run back into the stable while it's burning....

:pop: :hot:

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 11:42 PM
I think it is obvious the guy was planning to at least approach the stadium at half time and f'ed up...I do not buy the idea that he just chose that spot to end it all, I think he had greater plans...we are lucky he was a loner...clearly a very tough situation for decision-makers...

StoopTroup
4/16/2007, 11:53 PM
We just need to keep in mind it is dang near impossible to prevent a killer from doing his deeds if he doesn't mind getting killed in the process. Therefore, I hope folks aren't too hard on the VT administration.
As I watched this unfold today, I was thinking about how all the reporters were asking so many questions and nobody really even knew anything about why the guy did this...

I made the decision to not react to this right then and there...

Anyway....

Just as we all saw what happened at the Murrah Building and we saw how quickly facts about that tradgedy unfolded....we still found ourselves in search of answers even after McVeigh was put to death.

I'm sure we'll find out much more about this in the coming Days, Weeks and Months.

I think folks should remember a few things about life...

Be nice when your out walking the Earth...

Open or hold the door for people...

Tell people to have a nice day...

Smile....

Wave nicely to possible road ragers instead of shooting the bird...let them pass...your not in a Nascar Race even though you have Dale's Number 3 In Loving Memory on your bumper...

Have a Boy Scout mentality...

If a guy is walking to get gas for his car...stop and tell him you'll bring him a gallon and to walk back to his car...when he offers to pay you...tell him to pass it on the next time he sees someone in his position...

If he has a Poke Sticker or Texas plate but no OU emblems...let him walk...

Oh....

I hope you folks have a nice day tomorrow....

Buy someone you hate donuts on the way to work...

Ardmore_Sooner
4/17/2007, 12:03 AM
As I watched this unfold today, I was thinking about how all the reporters were asking so many questions and nobody really even knew anything about why the guy did this...

Anyway....

Just as we all saw what happened at the Murrah Building and we saw how quickly facts about that tradgedy unfolded....we still found ourselves in search of answers even after McVeigh was put to death.

I'm sure we'll find out much more about this in the coming Days, Weeks and Months.

Smile....

Wave nicely to possible road ragers instead of shooting the bird...let them pass...your not in a Nascar Race even though you have Dale's Number 3 In Loving Memory on your bumper...

If a guy is walking to get gas for his car...stop and tell him you'll bring him a gallon and to walk back to his car...when he offers to pay you...tell him to pass it on the next time he sees someone in his position...

Oh....

I couldn't agree more.

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 12:12 AM
It could have been handled section by section

How would this work?

It's nothing to worry about, but we need to evacuate the stadium. Please don't panic, and stay seated until your section is called.

Riiiiiight....

Good lord, 120 people can't even manage to board a 737 section by section.

picasso
4/17/2007, 12:15 AM
I agree with Soonerus wholeheartedly. That game should have been stopped immediately. Everyone, including the players should have bee sent home, and all accounts of the occurrences of that night, both on and off the field, should have been expunged from the record books.

:O
I think your punter got the memo.

bri
4/17/2007, 12:28 AM
Nice mature analysis....

Oh, stuff it. Every other person in this thread tried "nice mature analysis", and it bounced right off your thick skull. Loud noises and profanity are the ONLY thing that gets you to even think about dislodging your head from your own *ss, and loud noises and profanity are my specialty.

birddog
4/17/2007, 12:44 AM

Anyway....

Smile....

Oh....

you've got it made in the shade with the big fella on the top floor.

birddog
4/17/2007, 12:49 AM
and for the record, if they had announced what was going on, i would have knocked over every lady, child, and invalid to get the hell out of the stadium.

after the incident i'm sure they made a calculated decision that everyone would be much safer inside the stadium, plain and simple.

Ardmore_Sooner
4/17/2007, 02:00 AM
This just reminds me of the fire drills back when I was in elementary school. I know if there was a fire, I WOULD NOT be in a single file line, I would be running to save my life!

BajaOklahoma
4/17/2007, 03:35 AM
I agree with ST.
Shortly after the bomb went off, they blocked cellphone transmission into the stadium due to concerns about the cellphones triggering a bomb.

It's hard to plan for every possible crazy person and their actions.

Our district has limited access to the building. Even to walk their kids to class, parents must sign in and get a badge. Yes, there is often a line in the morning, but tough. We also have cameras so we can see who is at the door and an intercom to be able to talk the people outside. The system records the view from all of the campus's cameras 24/7. Even with all of this, polite visitors will hold the door open for others. Grrrrrr! Or others will slip in behind the person who was buzzed in. Flaws in the system.

jk the sooner fan
4/17/2007, 06:51 AM
i'll say this......soonerus knows ZERO about crisis management......once that entire area becomes a "scene"......the university has EVERY legal right to make your happy a5s sit there until they tell you otherwise

C&CDean
4/17/2007, 08:17 AM
Dude, Russell knows ZERO about a whole lot of **** - I'm thinking pretty much everything.

Petro-Sooner
4/17/2007, 08:29 AM
finally, hard not to fret over Hybl after sitting in on the pathetic Cotton Bowl performance...but we all gave this up long ago, right ....

Hybl was a sub par QB at best.

EDIT: :cool: :pop: :D

FaninAma
4/17/2007, 09:03 AM

Edit: it has been addressed. Although i must say my response was a lot more civil....which has nothing to do with the Civil War. Thank you and have a good day.

yermom
4/17/2007, 09:40 AM
I agree with ST.
Shortly after the bomb went off, they blocked cellphone transmission into the stadium due to concerns about the cellphones triggering a bomb.

It's hard to plan for every possible crazy person and their actions.

Our district has limited access to the building. Even to walk their kids to class, parents must sign in and get a badge. Yes, there is often a line in the morning, but tough. We also have cameras so we can see who is at the door and an intercom to be able to talk the people outside. The system records the view from all of the campus's cameras 24/7. Even with all of this, polite visitors will hold the door open for others. Grrrrrr! Or others will slip in behind the person who was buzzed in. Flaws in the system.

my phone was working... i was texting my gf to check out the news, etc... once all the people were all looking over the West side wall

lots of people were calling out and debating as to whether or not they should leave

LilSooner
4/17/2007, 09:49 AM
I also got a hold of Rhino, because I was at home watching the game because of knee.

I was freaking the hell out.

stoopified
4/17/2007, 10:47 AM
What is getting lost in this discussion is just HOW LUCKY we were in OUr situation.The arguement about what OU should or should not have done is moot.The fact is the end result of how it WAS handled was ideal..no one other than the bomber was hurt.

The truly sad thing is that eventually some school somewhere will not be so lucky and people in a packed stadium or fieldhouse WILL DIE.The enemy we face has no regard for life and will eventually find a way to attack the Carrier Dome,the Rose Bowl or even Owen Field,Memorial Stadium.

This of course assumes an outside threat as opposed to the APPARENT.non -terrorist attacks at OU and VT not to mention the Murrah building attack.Which is greater the threat from within or or without is debatable but regardless the number of these attacks is increasing and the body count is risng.Under the circunmstances we should all be thankful for Our escape from greater tragedy.The focus should be on parayer and support for the victims and survivors at VT.

bri
4/17/2007, 10:58 AM
Which is greater the threat from within or or without is debatable but regardless the number of these attacks is increasing and the body count is risng.

Crazy is crazy; doesn't matter where it grew up. A white boy from New York can kill you as dead as a Muslim or Asian...

Jeopardude
4/17/2007, 11:02 AM
I think we're missing something really important here....

Shouldn't the Thread Title be "How Fortunate Were OU and Sooner Fans"?

:D

bri
4/17/2007, 11:10 AM
We're freakin' out, man. This is NO time for grammar!

Soonerus
4/17/2007, 11:11 AM
Dude, Russell knows ZERO about a whole lot of **** - I'm thinking pretty much everything.

Dean has an odd fixation with me, I think he is jealous or something...

StoopTroup
4/17/2007, 11:15 AM
you've got it made in the shade with the big fella on the top floor.
I hope so...

Thanks...

This morning I went over to my Mom and Dad's...

They asked me if I'd like some coffee...

I said yes...

Then they asked if I had eaten breakfast...

I said no...

They had some Krispy Kreme donuts.

I don't think they read this thread....and I don't think they hate me either...

It's just funny that I got free donuts this morning....:D

That is all.

:pop: :twinkies: :pop: :twinkies: :pop: :twinkies: :rolleyes:

bri
4/17/2007, 11:15 AM
Dean has an odd fixation with me, I think he is jealous or something...

No, I think he just agrees with everyone else that you're a slow-witted dullard and didn't want to be left out.

StoopTroup
4/17/2007, 11:16 AM
We're freakin' out, man. This is NO time for grammar!
Maybe you and Soonerus could settle this with a 1st to 10 game of one on one basketball.

:pop: :hot: :D

bri
4/17/2007, 11:17 AM
I don't know what that has to do with anything, but okay.

royalfan5
4/17/2007, 11:19 AM
Maybe you and Soonerus could settle this with a 1st to 10 game of one on one basketball.

:pop: :hot: :D
Didn't the last basketball challenge end meltily?

StoopTroup
4/17/2007, 11:25 AM
I don't know what that has to do with anything, but okay.
It was just an attempt at levity...

Ease up Bri...

I feel your somewhat tense this morning...

Maybe we can send Soonerus some donuts then?

:pop: :twinkies:

StoopTroup
4/17/2007, 11:26 AM
Didn't the last basketball challenge end meltily?
I think Doleo won right?

:confused:

royalfan5
4/17/2007, 11:27 AM
I think Doleo won right?

Stanley didn't show if I remember right.

bri
4/17/2007, 11:28 AM
Oh, that was the next-to-last one you're thinking of, then. I agreed to go play doleo even though I was horribly out of shape and practice...just to pull the punk card on Stan. :D

It was an epic battle that saw youth and quickness win out over size and shortness of breath...

StoopTroup
4/17/2007, 11:29 AM
Stanley didn't show if I remember right.
I was gonna say it was a no-show...

I just wasn't sure...

Thanks.

StoopTroup
4/17/2007, 11:31 AM
Oh, that was the next-to-last one you're thinking of, then. I agreed to go play doleo even though I was horribly out of shape and practice...just to pull the punk card on Stan. :D

It was an epic battle that saw youth and quickness win out over size and shortness of breath...
Well...I thought that too...

As I get older...

My memory is failing me at times...

I am speking you Bri as that was a stellar punking...

Stanley was a tool for not showing....

Ike
4/17/2007, 11:33 AM
I am not convinced people would have done anything but made a quick exit, no chaos, if they chose to leave, let's remember many die-hards would never leave an ongoing OU game...we just disagree on this... I would have been more conservative, I am not knocking Boren he is obviously a brilliant man and by most standards the best President in OU history...my personal decision on this is different than his, I think Boren did the best he could under the circumstances, just personally I would like to have had the option to leave and I think these notions of mob-chaos are silly....
Sorry, but if OU tells the crowd, those die hards aren't going to stay in their seats. Information doesn't flow very fast in a situation like that, and I gaurantee you that had the crowd been informed that there was an explosion outside the stadium, there would have nothing, absolutely nothing, that could be said that would prevent a very large majority of the crowd, including most of the die hards, from declaring "WE'RE UNDER ATTACK!!!"

it would be pandemonium. No matter how gingerly they tried to inform people.
You were given the option to leave. At any time. They just didn't tell you that you might want to think about it NOW!

85Sooner
4/17/2007, 11:46 AM
Oh no, time ****ing out here. "Legal concealed carry?" What a joke. I couldn't care less if a dude had just broke out of prison and robbed a sporting goods store of a rifle, and then shot the dude. I carry, and no, not "legally." I don't care. I live by the age-old adage "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6."

Never heard that before but like it

soonerbrat
4/17/2007, 11:49 AM
Soonerus is joking right?

C&CDean
4/17/2007, 11:57 AM
Russell,

I'm more jealous of Calvin the paperboy than I am of you. At least Calvin is engaging, semi-witty, and sometimes even a challenge.

In fact, you are living proof of one of my daddy's favorite phrases - "right there goes an educated idiot son."

Vaevictis
4/17/2007, 12:21 PM
We're lucky that kid was stupid. There are places outside of the stadium after a game that would be just as effective for killing people as inside. My parents and I were at the game, and we pretty much assumed it was a bomb from the moment we felt the explosion. We were in no hurry to get out of the stadium because well, like I said -- there are places outside of the stadium that would be just as effective for killing people as on the inside. If the bomb goes off outside, it's probably because there are no bombs inside. But bombs outside? For all we knew, the outside explosion might have been an attempt to provoke an evacuation.

As far as guns on game day go, well, that stadium is pretty damn well armed. Those RUFNEK shotguns are fully functional, and all it would take is one crazy with shells in his pockets running out of the crowd to cause a scene. So they have some security measures to deal with that possibility, and those measures would be pretty effective for anyone in the stands with a smuggled firearm, too.

yermom
4/17/2007, 12:25 PM
uh, what?

Vaevictis
4/17/2007, 12:32 PM
The kid with the bomb outside the stadium?

Soonerus
4/17/2007, 01:37 PM
Russell,

I'm more jealous of Calvin the paperboy than I am of you. At least Calvin is engaging, semi-witty, and sometimes even a challenge.

In fact, you are living proof of one of my daddy's favorite phrases - "right there goes an educated idiot son."

Thanks for the compliment...Calvin is my buddy too....

bri
4/17/2007, 01:45 PM
Can anyone else almost hear the words bouncing off Russell's skull, not unlike hailstones on a tin roof?

jk the sooner fan
4/17/2007, 01:48 PM
Tinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn Roof.....................RUSSELL...

works for me

Soonerus
4/17/2007, 02:40 PM
Can anyone else almost hear the words bouncing off Russell's skull, not unlike hailstones on a tin roof?
Why are you always so volatile ? After we butted heads a fews times earlier I believe I have done nothing but support you....you are friendly one week and heavy into personal attacks the next...weird...

bri
4/17/2007, 02:45 PM
'cause that's my thing, man. I'm like the wind; you never know where I'm comin' from!

Fraggle145
4/17/2007, 02:57 PM
i get to use it for the second time today...

http://webpages.acs.ttu.edu/charshey/pics/ThisThreadSucks.jpg

Mjcpr
4/26/2007, 09:52 AM
Why would they put up a memorial? (http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0407/417884.html)

yermom
4/26/2007, 09:57 AM
O-U

weird.

that editor should be fired... it also sounds like he blew himself up outside the union

TheHumanAlphabet
4/26/2007, 10:07 AM
I thought about that night and hearing that explosion. It is my belief that he was a suicide bomber who meant to take some people with him. If he wanted to die alone, he could have put a gun to his head at home.

Ding!

I like how Islamic attacks are suppressed here. The Norman bomber, the shootings in Salt Lake, the attack of a Jewish center in Seattle. The Police are quick to state it was a lone gunman, but all of these were faithful islamists. I wouldn't be surprised if Jayna Davis is vindicated as we find out in some distant time period that Saddam was part of the OKC bombing.

And no, I am not a conspiracy theorists. I just think the government (surprise) has an agenda and based on what has happened to the Texas Three recently, it may not be good for the common American citizen.

Dio
4/26/2007, 10:14 AM
What's next, a plaque for Tim McVeigh at the OU Credit Union? God knows how many of us would have been hurt or killed if the bomb had gone off when Hinrichs wanted it to, and the university is putting up a memorial to this psycho? WTF, Boren?

TheHumanAlphabet
4/26/2007, 10:16 AM
That plaque and idea is just nuts, too much touchy feely PC crap. That guy meant no good and would have taken out innocents. I would say that I hope someone defaces it, but I don't advocate illegal acts.

yermom
4/26/2007, 10:17 AM
that sounds very odd to me as well, this is the first i've heard of it too

but i'm not convinced he wasn't just some depressed and angry loner kid that wanted to make national news by offing himself

mdklatt
4/26/2007, 10:19 AM
WTF? I'm sure plenty of other students have committed suicide--in less dangerous fashion--and I bet they don't have memorials.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/26/2007, 10:24 AM
WTF? I'm sure plenty of other students have committed suicide--in less dangerous fashion--and I bet they don't have memorials.

Yes they have, but Boren was the President when they did the deed. I seem to think the Duck Pound has seen a few suicides or dead bodies.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/26/2007, 10:27 AM
that sounds very odd to me as well, this is the first i've heard of it too

but i'm not convinced he wasn't just some depressed and angry loner kid that wanted to make national news by offing himself

I would normally agree with you, however, his Islamic connection are just too coincidental for me recently (i.e. since the World Trade Tower bombing and 9/11).

Did they ever conclude whether that bomb went off "accidently" or if he triggered it then.

Edit: Thank you unsigned neg spekker. You are a real upstanding person...Oh, while you're at it, why don't you report me as a bad post and also get this thread locked because you don't apparently like an opinion expressed in this thread...

Still hiding I see...

Why are you so upset with what I said? What was so upsetting to you. Since you negged me multiple times, you must be a mod.

Mjcpr
4/26/2007, 10:32 AM
Yes they have, but Boren was the President when they did the deed. I seem to think the Duck Pound has seen a few suicides or dead bodies.

Before buying new, you should always check your local duck pound for that pet duck you've had an eye on.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/26/2007, 10:34 AM
Before buying new, you should always check your local duck pound for that pet duck you've had an eye on.

You know, has happened a couple of times...How they thought they could keep it a secret in the dorms is beyond me...

frankensooner
4/26/2007, 10:40 AM
My boss said it wasn't any big deal, the monument that is, it didn't cost the University anything, they just took his unused student activity fees and bought the rock. ;)

bonkuba
4/28/2007, 08:52 PM
That plaque and idea is just nuts, too much touchy feely PC crap. That guy meant no good and would have taken out innocents. I would say that I hope someone defaces it, but I don't advocate illegal acts.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :D

I could go on for hours on how stupid this memorial is (dumb, idiotic, etc,etc)......but oh well. Ranting only makes me angrier. I was in the stadium that day. I am glad the kid was an idiot and blew himself up by mistake too early.

Come to think of it....maybe his memorial should maybe be the water hose nozzle that they used to wash him off of the sidewalk??? :D Sorry if I seem cold on this, but I have no sympathy at all for this moron. Someone asked me about his parents....nope no sympathy there either (and yes I do have children).

OK.....enough of that....sorry for the rant (stepping off my soap box now).:rolleyes:

-Sean