PDA

View Full Version : Now that Vonage is likely going to be toast

Widescreen
4/16/2007, 09:06 PM
any suggestions on alternate VOIP providers? One of my main concerns is that my DVR can call home to Dish without problems. Vonage worked well for that.

OzarkSooner
4/16/2007, 09:15 PM
http://www.skype.com

Not sure if that will work the way you need it but you CAN get an actual phone number for a monthly charge I believe.

Weird, I just saw a Vonage commercial. I guess maybe they're not going down without a fight OR they've already paid for the commercial and are trying to get as many $24.99 or whatever it costs dealios before they go down.

Widescreen
4/16/2007, 09:32 PM
Don't you have to use your computer to use Skype? I need a service where I can plug a regular phone into an RJ-11 jack and get a dial tone.

OzarkSooner
4/16/2007, 09:34 PM
Don't you have to use your computer to use Skype? I need a service where I can plug a regular phone into an RJ-11 jack and get a dial tone.

Ooops, yep. Skype is a computer VOIP product.

bluedogok
4/16/2007, 10:59 PM
I would imagine that if Vonage goes away, then Verizon will be going after the others soon after whether they use the same technology or not. After all, who needs to win a lawsuit if you can bankrupt your competition through lawyer fees defending lawsuits.