PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here using the Scrum software development methodology?

Widescreen
4/16/2007, 07:50 PM
We're trying to determine the best way to resolve defects in Scrum but the non-critical ones keep getting pushed to a later sprint. I'd like us to fix them in the sprint they were injected into. Thoughts?

OzarkSooner
4/16/2007, 09:29 PM
Here's a flowchart for MountainGoat softwares Scrum process if it's any help:

http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/system/hidden_asset/file/17/ScrumLargeLabelled.png

And linkage to their Scrum process with some more info.

SCRUM (http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/scrum/)

:D

Widescreen
4/16/2007, 09:35 PM
Well, I know what Scrum is. We've been doing it for several sprints now. What we haven't been doing is effectively managing our defects. Some people insist that all defects must be fixed in the current sprint. Others think it's OK to defer some to a future sprint. I'm trying to get a feel for how others handle it.

OzarkSooner
4/16/2007, 10:11 PM
Sorry old bean, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know what it was. I thought the ol' Mountain Goat site might have some helpful info.

Widescreen
4/16/2007, 10:37 PM
No worries.

mdklatt
4/16/2007, 11:41 PM
Do professional software developers ever have time to actually code in between learning the latest methodology of the month?

And have you ever seen a real scrum? During a rugby game? 110% GHEY.

Widescreen
4/16/2007, 11:42 PM
Do professional software developers ever have time to actually code in between learning the latest methodology of the week?
Fixed, and no.

OCUDad
4/16/2007, 11:43 PM
The developers where I work use the Scrotum methodology. Throw a bunch of code in a sack and shake it till it feels good.

mdklatt
4/16/2007, 11:44 PM
Fixed, and no.

Do they teach stuff like that in CS classes, or is that a job "benefit"?

Widescreen
4/17/2007, 11:18 AM
Do they teach stuff like that in CS classes, or is that a job "benefit"?
They usually neglect to teach things like "incompetence", "bureaucracy", "bad leadership" as it relates to projects. In school, everything works because you get to play in the land of "Theory".

crawfish
4/17/2007, 12:03 PM
We're trying to determine the best way to resolve defects in Scrum but the non-critical ones keep getting pushed to a later sprint. I'd like us to fix them in the sprint they were injected into. Thoughts?

Fix the critical ones faster.

Widescreen
4/17/2007, 02:39 PM
Fix the critical ones faster.
Thanks. That's a lot like:

Go that way really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.