View Full Version : Virginia Tech Shooting

Pages : 1 [2] 3

85Sooner
4/16/2007, 07:12 PM
I just watched the press conference with the University President and some Police Chief.

The press sucks.

Almost every question seemed to be a jab at inadequate security.

Thats our Drive by media for it. Out of respect for from an earlier poster I won't get into the political part of that.

85Sooner
4/16/2007, 07:12 PM
What happened there could happen almost anywhere.
And I am really surprised it doesn't happen more often. Makes you think about that guy who bombed himself outside of the OU game a couple of years ago. huh

sanantoniosooner
4/16/2007, 07:18 PM
The fact is that if I wanted to do something like that, there would be little to stop me. You can't prepare for psychos and every little possibility they might assault you with.

Jerk
4/16/2007, 07:23 PM
Guys....just a little historical perspective. This is nothing new. Cantrell, of Missouri, raided a small Kansas town in the 1860's and massacred every male older than 12, a total of like 160 deaths. In the 1920's, a man blew up a school with dynomite and killed scores of children. I think people only see history from the day they were born. I'm not making light of what happened at VT. It's a horrible, sick, disgusting event. But these things will happen so long as man walks on Earth. They always have. They always will.

85Sooner
4/16/2007, 07:30 PM
Guys....just a little historical perspective. This is nothing new. Cantrell, of Missouri, raided a small Kansas town in the 1860's and massacred every male older than 12, a total of like 160 deaths. In the 1920's, a man blew up a school with dynomite and killed scores of children. I think people only see history from the day they were born. I'm not making light of what happened at VT. It's a horrible, sick, disgusting event. But these things will happen so long as man walks on Earth. They always have. They always will.
more info please

sanantoniosooner
4/16/2007, 07:32 PM
But these things will happen so long as man walks on Earth. They always have. They always will.
Even so, it makes them no less shocking, or palatable.

Jerk
4/16/2007, 07:33 PM
Even so, it makes them no less shocking, or palatable.

Very true.

85Sooner
4/16/2007, 07:37 PM
SO there we go. A Chinese natl . Not a US citizen. just add another one to the record. at least he was here legally. not to change the subject but I won a mans bet saying that it would not be citizen of the US

sanantoniosooner
4/16/2007, 07:40 PM
SO there we go. A Chinese natl . Not a US citizen. just add another one to the record. at least he was here legally. not to change the subject but I won a mans bet saying that it would not be citizen of the US
so what did you bet when it was the Murrah? Or Luby's in Killeen? Or the tower at UT?

85Sooner
4/16/2007, 07:43 PM
so what did you bet when it was the Murrah? Or Luby's in Killeen? Or the tower at UT?

In all honesty no. I started noticing it when I was looking at alot of the statistics reagrding illegal immigration and crime. It really doesn't make a difference that he was a foreigner really all things considered. I have been watching AMW and it is really becoming obvious that alot of crimes are being committed by IA and I don't want to change the subject. I just ahd a feeling. don't know why and readily the odds were against it. BTW there is still alot of questions regarding the murrah bombing and outside connections. just sayin but your right

sanantoniosooner
4/16/2007, 08:04 PM
I remember how we all had a "feeling" it was arabs instead of Tim and Terry

SteelClip49
4/16/2007, 08:14 PM
VT police chief and other authorities will pay for their lack of communication immediately after the 1st shootings.

What really worries me and makes me sick is that it could be 2 different gunmen.

Hokie, Hokie, Hokie Hi; Rest In Peace victims of VPI!!!!

Newbomb Turk
4/16/2007, 08:24 PM
No bitch about the media, nationality of anybody or time between the shootings - not now anyway.

Just...God be with those affected and their families.

picasso
4/16/2007, 08:32 PM
it's not the worst mass shooting in U.S. history, as the news nerds are reporting. if we're being technical.

just sayin.

85Sooner
4/16/2007, 08:50 PM
For the gun control people I will post a question tomorrow regarding this.

What is the procedure for a person here on a student visa to legally obtain firearms?

william_brasky
4/16/2007, 08:57 PM
No bitch about the media, nationality of anybody or time between the shootings - not now anyway.

Just...God be with those affected and their families.

that's why I'm bitching about the media. there are 30+ college kids and staff whose lives are no more as of twelve hours or so ago, and they're already playing the blame game. it really irks me. effin' vultures.

prayers and thoughts to families and friends affected and VT.

Okla-homey
4/16/2007, 08:58 PM
For the gun control people I will post a question tomorrow regarding this.

What is the procedure for a person here on a student visa to legally obtain firearms?

You don't have to be an AMCIT to legally buy and own a gun. People here legally, like a guy on a student visa, can legally purchase and own a gun.

william_brasky
4/16/2007, 09:01 PM
I heard on the news that the firearms had their serial numbers scratched off. They were most likely obtained illegally.

Okla-homey
4/16/2007, 09:20 PM
Not to make light of this, but I'm getting kinda tired of this "worst massacre in US history" stuff. This is bad, but its nowhere near the worst ever.

There are others, but these are just some important xamples:

On August 21, 1831, a Virginia slave named Nat Turner led a slave revolt in that state. Turner started with a few trusted fellow slaves. They traveled from house to house, freeing slaves and killing all the white people they found. The rebels ultimately numbered more than 50 slaves and free blacks. Because the slaves did not want to alert anyone to their presence as they carried out their attacks, they initially used knives, hatchets, axes, and blunt instruments instead of firearms. The rebellion did not discriminate by age or gender, although Turner later indicated that he intended to spare women, children, and men who surrendered as it went on. Before Turner and his band met resistance at the hands of a white militia, 55 white men, women and children had been killed.

The Mountain Meadows massacre was a mass killing of Arkansas emigrants passing through Mormon territory by Mormon militia and Paiute allies on Friday, September 11, 1857. The murders took place at Mountain Meadows, a stopover along the Old Spanish Trail in southwestern Utah. Sources estimate that between 100 and 140 men, women and children were killed. The causes and circumstances remain highly controversial, but the fact remains, those people were shot down in cold blood in a single episode.

On August 21, 1863, during the American Civil War, Confederate guerrillas led by William Quantrill burned most of the houses and commercial buildings in Lawrence, KS and killed 150 to 200 civilian men and boys they found in Lawrence

picasso
4/16/2007, 09:24 PM
yeah Homey, I was kind of thinking about Wounded Knee myself but I guess in the context of it being one gunman and in modern type times it is.

Okla-homey
4/16/2007, 09:25 PM
yeah Homey, I was kind of thinking about Wounded Knee myself but I guess in the context of it being one gunman and in modern type times it is.

those guys who hit us on 9/11 conducted four seperate massacres in which more folks died.

I wonder what it is about this time of year? Waco, OKC, Columbine, now this.

picasso
4/16/2007, 09:27 PM
I thought of that also.

yermom
4/16/2007, 09:28 PM
those guys who hit us on 9/11 conducted four seperate massacres in which more folks died.

I wonder what it is about this time of year? Waco, OKC, Columbine, now this.

well, the OKC bombing was kinda revenge for Waco, right?

jdsooner
4/16/2007, 09:29 PM
It has been a sad day. This is a day to mourn rather than debate issues.

Okla-homey
4/16/2007, 09:32 PM
well, the OKC bombing was kinda revenge for Waco, right?

I think that was one of the things the killer stated motivated him.

MamaMia
4/16/2007, 09:32 PM
From David Boren:

This is silly. Not that it's necessarily a bad idea, but the purely reactionary motivation for it is stupid.

OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD GOTTA DO SOMETHING GOTTA DO SOMETHING GOTTA DO SOMETHING RIGHT THISVERYSECONDBoren has a habit of killing gnats with baseball bats.

This news is heart wrenching. Prayers for the families. :(

Fraggle145
4/16/2007, 09:36 PM
VT police chief and other authorities will pay for their lack of communication immediately after the 1st shootings.

What really worries me and makes me sick is that it could be 2 different gunmen.

Hokie, Hokie, Hokie Hi; Rest In Peace victims of VPI!!!!

I dont see how anyone can blame anyone but the sick and twisted individual (or individuals). Who actually thinks that a mad killer is going to show up on your campus? I just think it is sad that people are looking for someone else to blame.

Regardless, I have had a heavy heart all day about this. :(

C&CDean
4/16/2007, 09:38 PM
So, I just got to the hotel in Baltimore (I posted in this thread earlier today from the DFW airport).

To answer TD's question about what should Boren do? - What he did I guess. It just doesn't help anything. As the Prez, he's gotta act/react, and locking a few doors is better than freaking the **** out.

To Rusher: There's a couple others on here who think that melting down everybody's guns and making giant statues of John and Yoko outta the metal would be the groovy thing to do. They're all ****ed up too, just like you.

I've looked down the barrell of a gun. More than once. Until you have, you'll never know how you're gonna react. And I reacted differently in each instance. The first time (1974, Leesville, Louisiana - trying to buy some weed from a dude) I damn near **** myself. Legs went to rubber, thought I was gonna puke, and almost fainted. That experience hardened me. A lot. I was embarrassed. After that, I always said I'd never be caught unable to react again. The next time (1979, Tucson, AZ) I jumped into my truck and hauled *** as the dude was sliding a big ol' nickel-plated auto out of a holster behind his seat. I had the ability to at least react, and not just stand there and ****. I screamed up to my house, jumped out, and grabbed a shotgun I kept behind the front door, and went prone on the sidewalk behind some bushes. Dude never followed me up. I'm glad. I ain't gonna talk about the third time, but let's just say I decided that the next person who decides to try and rob/hurt me or my family will either perish, or I will.

If someone there was armed - not only with a firearm, but the sense/coolness to use it, this thing wouldn't have gone so far. And yes, I will agree with a couple posters that there's a chance it could go south too. But WTF? 33 or 34 dead, at that point, who cares? Somebody has to ****ing do something.

Okla-homey
4/16/2007, 09:39 PM
I dont see how anyone can blame anyone but the sick and twisted individual (or individuals). Who actually thinks that a mad killer is going to show up on your campus? I just think it is sad that people are looking for someone else to blame.

It is rather bizarre that they started their academic year with a shooting that cancelled classes and now this at the end. sheesh. Thye've had more than their share of bad luck.

VeeJay
4/16/2007, 09:42 PM

My thoughts exactly. Who can prepare for or envision the circumstances of mass murder?

Jerk
4/16/2007, 09:42 PM
Guys..maybe my tin-foil hat is too tight, but this whole thing is really odd in that the killer came from China around Aug. of last year, and here we are 7 months later and this guy kills almost 3 dozen people with a handgun. This is just too bizarre. I've said enough. Maybe I need to take more of my meds. But it seems very likely that this guy was trained for something like this, and this whole thing was planned. Motive? I have no idea.

I think you should, at least, have to be a U.S. citizen to purchase a gun.

mmk..but it has long been stated that our enemies will take advantage of our free society and attack from within.

sanantoniosooner
4/16/2007, 09:44 PM
Jerk, if things ever go bad, I want to be either very close to you, or very far away. ;)

Fraggle145
4/16/2007, 09:45 PM
Jerk, if things ever go bad, I want to be either very close to you, or very far away. ;)

I've already said that I would help reload...:O

Okla-homey
4/16/2007, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=Jerk]Guys..maybe my tin-foil hat is too tight, but this whole thing is really odd in that the killer came from China around Aug. of last year, and here we are 7 months later and this guy kills almost 3 dozen people with a handgun. This is just too bizarre. I've said enough. Maybe I need to take more of my meds. But it seems very likely that this guy was trained for something like this, and this whole thing was planned. Motive? I have no idea.
[QUOTE]

Alternatively, it could be that he was just a very disturbed person. They have those in all countries.

oilmud
4/16/2007, 09:46 PM
New Orleans after Katrina is further proof the man ain't gonna be there for you when the chips are down.

C&CDean
4/16/2007, 09:47 PM
Guys..maybe my tin-foil hat is too tight, but this whole thing is really odd in that the killer came from China around Aug. of last year, and here we are 7 months later and this guy kills almost 3 dozen people with a handgun. This is just too bizarre. I've said enough. Maybe I need to take more of my meds. But it seems very likely that this guy was trained for something like this, and this whole thing was planned. Motive? I have no idea.

mmk..but it has long been stated that our enemies will take advantage of our free society and attack from within.

Dude, you can be a citizen of the planet Pulsating Vulva, and you can still "purchase a gun." Legal schmegal.

royalfan5
4/16/2007, 09:50 PM

Exactly how would China benefit from a massacre of United States Citizens in this manner? It's more likely a guy who couldn't handle being dumped by his girlfriend and decided to take it out on society.

SoonerBorn68
4/16/2007, 09:50 PM
I know I'm way late in this thread & behind on this news. So far the facts I've read are:

Chinese shooter, less than 1 year here
Had fight with girlfriend
Doors chained shut (haven't read if shooter did it)
Carried 2 pistols, 9mm & a .22
had crapload of ammo & flak jacket
Lined up folks execution style

What am I missing?

Okla-homey
4/16/2007, 09:51 PM
I ma kinda interested in learning what the ballistics boys say about the earlier shooting. For a while this afternoon, I heard some of the newsreaders say there was a theory that that shooting was unrelated and might have been just a very bizarre coincidence.

sanantoniosooner
4/16/2007, 09:51 PM
It wouldn't be the first asian that didn't react well to William Hung.

Okla-homey
4/16/2007, 09:52 PM
Dude, you can be a citizen of the planet Pulsating Vulva, and you can still "purchase a gun." Legal schmegal.

there is a 90 day waiting period for people from the planet Throbbing Member though.

OKC-SLC
4/16/2007, 09:52 PM
I think they actually decided that PV was too close to Uranus to tell the difference.

Okla-homey
4/16/2007, 10:05 PM
Let the blaming begin! If I could have a word with these people, I would say this:
Look, I feel your pain. I'm a parent of a kid at a large university too. Also, I attend grad school with a bunch of college kids. There is no way in heaven or on Earth to "lock-down" 26,000 kids on an open campus, particularly when only 8000 live on campus. Heck, telling college kids to stay inside and hide is the surest way to ensure many will be out to "investigate." Chill out and just thank God your kid wasn't hurt.

Parents Demand Firing of Virginia Tech President, Police Chief Over Poor Handling of Mass Shooting
Monday, April 16, 2007

Parents of a Virginia Tech student expressed outrage Monday at what they call an inadequate response by college brass to the worst mass-murder shooting in American history.

John and Jennifer Shourds of Lovettsville, Va. demanded the immediate firings of University President Charles Steger and Virginia Tech Campus Police Chief W.R. Flinchum who he said "screwed up" the handling of separate shooting incidents that left 33 students dead, including the shooter.

“My God, if someone shoots somebody there should be an immediate lockdown of the campus,” said John Shourds. “They totally blew it. The president blew it, campus police blew it.”

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 10:05 PM
Given the questions about the delay between V.Tech first shooting...
... and the subsequent carnage and questions about why the University did not seal off the campus after the first shooting....Here is my question, why did OU not seal off the campus after the bombing outside the stadium two years ago.... I have always been angry I was not told and given the option of leaving...we, as fans, were left in the dark, I have always resented that...

GrapevineSooner
4/16/2007, 10:07 PM

Perhaps.

But if he was trained for this, we would seen similar shootings at other schools across the nation. Kind of like the 9/11 hijackings.

I'm leaning towards very sick and twisted loner.

yermom
4/16/2007, 10:09 PM

i wonder if he had any military training... dude seemed pretty proficient

Okla-homey
4/16/2007, 10:12 PM

I dunno. Shooting cowering unarmed kids at point blank range doesn't take much training.

Blue
4/16/2007, 10:13 PM
Attention! If there are any losers thinking about killing yourself out there after you shoot a bunch of folks,..do us all a favor and pull the trigger now. Kthnx.

There's a special place in hell for that waste of space.

royalfan5
4/16/2007, 10:14 PM
Does China have a draft? I looked it up. All Chinese citizen have some compulsary military training.

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 10:14 PM
V. Tech's delay was no worse than OU's lack of information of the bombing...

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 10:15 PM
Attention! If there are any losers thinking about killing yourself out there after you shoot a bunch of folks,..do us all a favor and pull the trigger now. Kthnx.

There's a special place in hell for that waste of space.

If they were rationale that type of advice would be very good but they are not...

Blue
4/16/2007, 10:16 PM

I kinda disagree w/ you on how to handle these things...This stuff doesn't happen often and mass hysteria only hurts things.

C&CDean
4/16/2007, 10:17 PM

So, let's get an 85K hysterical mass of ****ing hillbillies piling out the exits all at once. Yeah, that's the ticket. Boren handled it perfectly.

oilmud
4/16/2007, 10:20 PM
bs, cough,cough

http://www.black-rifles.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19283&st=40

OKC-SLC
4/16/2007, 10:25 PM
bs, cough,cough

http://www.black-rifles.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19283&st=40
sure reads like it.

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 10:29 PM
So, let's get an 85K hysterical mass of ****ing hillbillies piling out the exits all at once. Yeah, that's the ticket. Boren handled it perfectly.

Boren was damn lucky or he would be on the hot seat V.Tech's president is currnetly on...think about it...

C&CDean
4/16/2007, 10:31 PM
Boren was damn lucky or he would be on the hot seat V.Tech's president is currnetly on...think about it...

VT's pres is on the hot seat because of morons in the media - and the teeth gnashing ****wads who swallow their spew up. Boren did EXACTLY the right thing.

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 10:37 PM
VT's pres is on the hot seat because of morons in the media - and the teeth gnashing ****wads who swallow their spew up. Boren did EXACTLY the right thing.

Hindsight is always 20-20 Dean...good job...V. Tech president made the same informed decision and look at him now...err on the side of safety...

StoopTroup
4/16/2007, 10:38 PM
David Boren, Bob Stoops and Joe Castiglione are the best thing to happen at OU IMO....

Boren did exactly the rght thing...

Fraggle145
4/16/2007, 10:44 PM
Hindsight is always 20-20 Dean...good job...V. Tech president made the same informed decision and look at him now...err on the side of safety...

So you think this is the Va-Tech's prez's fault?! or for that matter Boren's fault?! :rolleyes: wow. just wow.

You want to err on the side of everyone being a lunatic? gotcha :rolleyes:

mdklatt
4/16/2007, 10:47 PM
Boren has a habit of killing gnats with baseball bats.

Nice turn of phrase.

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 10:57 PM
So you think this is the Va-Tech's prez's fault?! or for that matter Boren's fault?! :rolleyes: wow. just wow.

You want to err on the side of everyone being a lunatic? gotcha :rolleyes:

I did not say that...but, mark my words, watch what happens to him over the next week...it will be ugly...

Octavian
4/16/2007, 10:57 PM
I've kept out of this thread but here's my .02.

1. No way to prevent what happened at VT...no one should be fired.

2. More guns will not help anything...there's a bajillion problems that would arise if every college kid was allowed to be packin heat on the way to class. NO WAY

3. Gun control won't work. It's a free market issue...not hard.

4. Boren did the right thing.

5. 32 people in Blacksburg, VA woke up this morning to go about their day...and they're not on this Earth anymore because of some crazy POS. It's not fair...it's not right...it doesn't make sense. But it happened.

There's going to be a clamoring from different groups on how to "keep this from ever happening again."

As if they really could...as if there's some way to prevent tragedy.

Some people just don't like facing up to the reality that often there is absolutely nothing anybody can do to prevent terrible things from happening. We don't like it when things are beyond our control, or have to face up to the fact that there aren't any rules in life. There are no absolutes.

Statements like if everyone had a gun then we'd all be safe! or we need to ban all guns and we'd all be safe! won't solve anything.

There are crazy people everywhere. There are guns everywhere. But there aren't crazy people using guns to massacre people everyday in America.

From coast to coast, media outlets will latch onto this issue and blow it up beyond belief...it's in their best interest to keep stirring the pot and violence sells above all topics save one.

But if it was really some social epidemic, why aren't we numb to school/public massacres? Why is this such a big deal and so shocking? We're not numb to them and it's so shocking because massacres in America are really, really, really, rare.

Bad **** happens...very bad **** happens...and you just have to hope the worst of it doesn't come your way.

picasso
4/16/2007, 11:00 PM
you also forgot that if Don Imus had waited until this week to rag on the Rutgers types it would have been on the last page o the paper.

Rhino
4/16/2007, 11:05 PM
Given the questions about the delay between V.Tech first shooting...
... and the subsequent carnage and questions about why the University did not seal off the campus after the first shooting....Here is my question, why did OU not seal off the campus after the bombing outside the stadium two years ago.... I have always been angry I was not told and given the option of leaving...we, as fans, were left in the dark, I have always resented that...
Because no one knew enough info about it to determine releasing 84,501 people from a contained and monitored area into an unknown and potentially very dangerous area?

Because no one knew if it was a suicide bomber or a randomly placed bomb outside the stadium?

Because I didn't want 84,500 screaming lunatics stampede on my face? You don't tell 84,500 people over a jumbotron that a bomb exploded outside the stadium without facing the fact that people will be trampled. That would have been the absolute worst thing they could have done.

Fraggle145
I did not say that...but, mark my words, watch what happens to him over the next week...it will be ugly...

Then why even bring it up. The fact that he is gonna get roasted over this is a sad commentary on our society. Blame the guilty for what he did, dont go blaming the innocent in an attempt to get retribution when none can be found.

Blue
I've kept out of this thread but here's my .02.

1. No way to prevent what happened at VT...no one should be fired.

2. More guns will not help anything...there's a bajillion problems that would arise if every college kid was allowed to be packin heat on the way to class. NO WAY

3. Gun control won't work. It's a free market issue...not hard.

4. Boren did the right thing.

5. 32 people in Blacksburg, VA woke up this morning to go about their day...and they're not on this Earth anymore because of some crazy POS. It's not fair...it's not right...it doesn't make sense. But it happened.

There's going to be a clamoring from different groups on how to "keep this from ever happening again."

As if they really could...as if there's some way to prevent tragedy.

Some people just don't like facing up to the reality that often there is absolutely nothing anybody can do to prevent terrible things from happening. We don't like it when things are beyond our control, or have to face up to the fact that there aren't any rules in life. There are no absolutes.

Statements like if everyone had a gun then we'd all be safe! or we need to ban all guns and we'd all be safe! won't solve anything.

There are crazy people everywhere. There are guns everywhere. But there aren't crazy people using guns to massacre people everyday in America.

From coast to coast, media outlets will latch onto this issue and blow it up beyond belief...it's in their best interest to keep stirring the pot and violence sells above all topics save one.

But if it was really some social epidemic, why aren't we numb to school/public massacres? Why is this such a big deal and so shocking? We're not numb to them and it's so shocking because massacres in America are really, really, really, rare.

Bad **** happens...very bad **** happens...and you just have to hope the worst of it doesn't come your way.

Completely agree w/ everything you said.

Picasso too.

Octavian
4/16/2007, 11:06 PM
you also forgot that if Don Imus had waited until this week to rag on the Rutgers types it would have been on the last page o the paper.

ah, yes. I thought about that earlier today but forgot to add it to my list.

#6. Imus is off the hook.

hurricane'bone
4/17/2007, 01:26 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/175/462548526_886918259b_o.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/207/462548496_c88d007462_o.jpg

Jerk
4/17/2007, 06:00 AM
The reason my tin foil hat is on too tight is that my mind just can't make sense of this.

Killings happen all the time over relationships gone bad (and T&A). 1 or 2 people get murdered: everyone being involved in some sort of sordid love triangle.

But to start executing a massive number of unknown people because your gf dumped you....man.... I don't get it.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/17/2007, 06:23 AM
Why am I not surprised that 'rus is getting on his soapbox in yet another thread. For the love of pete, man. You act like it is some big conspiracy by university presidents that they "allow" bad **** to happen.

Who are you? Oliver Stone?

Boarder
4/17/2007, 06:58 AM
I have always been angry I was not told and given the option of leaving...we, as fans, were left in the dark, I have always resented that...

I was there with my most prized posession and have never, not once, not even for a second been remotely angered whatsoever that I was not told.

CUinNC
4/17/2007, 07:01 AM
[QUOTE=C&CDean]VT's pres is on the hot seat because of morons in the media - and the teeth gnashing ****wads who swallow their spew up/QUOTE]

Exactly - no way this guy or anyone should be bothered with this shat right now...there is no way they could have measured one against the other...

Turd shot someone in the dorm & then ran & hid....cops get there and assume a "domestic" or something like that...what else were they supposed to think, and how does anyone know what they would think also put in the same situation....you go on your gut instincts, it's all you got & whatever scraps of detail you can see in 5 minutes or less...
That F*** could've hid anywhere, VT campus is huge....

We'll know more if we find out that he didn't get who he wanted in that dorm...I still got a feeling he didn't & headed to where he thought they were...

I hope he likes the BBQ that Hades is throwing for him right now....

afs
4/17/2007, 08:44 AM

Loosen the tin-foil hat, the shooter was Korean. It could just be that he was disturbed.

Hatfield
4/17/2007, 09:05 AM
The reason my tin foil hat is on too tight is that my mind just can't make sense of this.

Killings happen all the time over relationships gone bad (and T&A). 1 or 2 people get murdered: everyone being involved in some sort of sordid love triangle.

But to start executing a massive number of unknown people because your gf dumped you....man.... I don't get it.

wow.

JohnnyMack
4/17/2007, 09:08 AM
I was there with my most prized posession and have never, not once, not even for a second been remotely angered whatsoever that I was not told.

How'd you fit your truck in the stadium?

SoonerInFla
4/17/2007, 09:08 AM
They've Id'd the shooter as a South Korean.

Cho Seung-Hui

The Virginia Tech Police Department confirmed the identification of the gunman who killed 32 people in the deadliest shooting rampage in U.S. history:

Cho Seung-Hui, 23

Cho was enrolled as an undergraduate student in his senior year as an English major at Virginia Tech.

Cho, a South Korean native, was in the U.S. as a resident alien with a residence established in Centerville, Va.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266523,00.html

GrapevineSooner
4/17/2007, 09:26 AM
Well, there goes the Chinese conspiracy theory.

Hatfield
4/17/2007, 09:39 AM
fox news insinuated al queada may be involved about 20 minutes ago....

C&CDean
4/17/2007, 09:53 AM
WTF are you doing watching Fox?

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 10:06 AM
fox news insinuated al queada may be involved about 20 minutes ago....

Did they do one of their cute little "just askin'..." headlines?

VT SHOOTING: AL QUEADA INVOLVED? ... IS JOHN EDWARDS A RAGING HOMO? ...

Hatfield
4/17/2007, 10:07 AM
on the brian and judge show...

'we dont know anything about the shooter yet. so why arent we asking if this could be alQueda? i mean, our schools and malls, etc are RIPE for this kind of attack!
are we not giving the alQueda angle some merit here, etc etc"

idiots...

and dean just preparing for the debates :)

oilmud
4/17/2007, 10:08 AM
My apologies for doubting the dood in the link I posted last night. Looks like he was legit, too bad they zapped the post.

stoopified
4/17/2007, 10:13 AM
WTF are you doing watching Fox?Excuse me? You mean instead of CNN,puh-leez.

C&CDean
4/17/2007, 10:15 AM
Excuse me? You mean instead of CNN,puh-leez.

Hatfield is so far left I'm surprised his TV even picks up the fox.

JohnnyMack
4/17/2007, 10:16 AM
My apologies for doubting the dood in the link I posted last night. Looks like he was legit, too bad they zapped the post.

You'll find the mods around here are first class a-holes.

Especially:

:dean:

oilmud
4/17/2007, 10:20 AM
You'll find the mods around here are first class a-holes.

Especially:

:dean:

No it was the nazi's on the linked board, it looks like their whole board is down.

JohnnyMack
4/17/2007, 10:23 AM
No it was the nazi's on the linked board, it looks like their whole board is down.

Oh. Well, he's still an a-hole.

CUinNC
4/17/2007, 10:25 AM
Well well...Guess who will be at the VT funerals?

It's our old friends, the Westboro Baptist Church! ####### deranged psychopaths.

My buddy just sent me this - looks like we'll definitely be going, as it won't take us but 40 minutes to get there....at least we got time to make some deranged plans of our own for these sick turds...so far we got at least 5 of us boys who are going...:D

http://www.godhatesamerica.com/

WBC will preach at the funerals of the Virginia Tech students killed on campus during a shooting rampage April 16, 2007. You describe this as monumental horror, but you know nothing of horror -- yet. Your bloody tyrant Bush says he is 'horrified' by it all. You know nothing of horror -- yet. Your true horror is coming. "They shall also gird themselves with sackloth, and horror shall cover them; and shame shall be upon all faces, and baldness upon all their heads" (Eze. 7:18).

Why did this happen, you ask? It's simple. Your military chose to shoot at the servants of God today, and all they got for their effort was terror. Then, the LORD your God sent a crazed madman to shoot at your children. Was God asleep while this took place? Was He on vacation? Of course not. He willed this to happen to punish you for assailing His servants.

Hatfield
4/17/2007, 10:27 AM
man those people are disgusting.

oh wait, dean as member of the far left am i allowed to have that opinion?>

KC//CRIMSON
4/17/2007, 10:29 AM

I think you and FaninAma should make a movie together.

85Sooner
4/17/2007, 10:43 AM
Does China have a draft? I looked it up. All Chinese citizen have some compulsary military training.

iI have thought that should be done here too. Then maybe we wouldn't be a society so afraid of weapons.

colleyvillesooner
I think you and FaninAma should make a movie together.

they already did:

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2586/078061855601lzzzzzzzwj0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

;)

C&CDean
man those people are disgusting.

oh wait, dean as member of the far left am i allowed to have that opinion?>

Being a member of the far left hasn't held you back so far, so why would it now?

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 10:51 AM
the killer came from China around Aug. of last year

China, Korea...2006, 1992...what's the difference?

william_brasky
4/17/2007, 12:12 PM
They've Id'd the shooter as a South Korean.

Cho Seung-Hui

The Virginia Tech Police Department confirmed the identification of the gunman who killed 32 people in the deadliest shooting rampage in U.S. history:

Cho Seung-Hui, 23

Cho was enrolled as an undergraduate student in his senior year as an English major at Virginia Tech.

Cho, a South Korean native, was in the U.S. as a resident alien with a residence established in Centerville, Va.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266523,00.html

It'd be interesting to know whether or not the shooter was a player of one of those "shoot 'em up" video games. Those have never seemed like a good idea to me.

yermom
4/17/2007, 12:14 PM
yeah, action movies are probably a bad idea too

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 12:17 PM
cartoons had nothing to do with me dropping an anvil on my brothers head.

leavingthezoo
4/17/2007, 12:19 PM
a cartoon gave my sister the idea to shoot me. of course... the motivation was already there. :P

Mjcpr
4/17/2007, 12:37 PM
Here's the POS. A loner....imagine that.

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/US/04/17/vtech.shooting/newt1.vt14.tues.ap.jpg

Tear Down This Wall
4/17/2007, 12:39 PM
i'm going to ignore the 1st amendment thing here...

so who do you think should have access to firearms?

(1) American citizens who:
(a) have no criminal record
(b) have no record of psychiatric problems
(c) have taken a course in firearms safety
(d) have a hunting license or who will pay $1,500 per gun per year to be a "collector."

(2) The military

Look, the 18th century was a different time. There is no possible way Washington, Jefferson, Madison, & Co. would have gone for selling guns to foreign nationals or not having background checks for people buying guns at gunshows.

The whole thing is damn stupid. Guns are guns. They kill. And, yes, I understand that not everyone who owns a damn gun will kill somebody. So, don't give me the bullsh*t "guns don't kill people, people kill people" or the "well, what about knives."

Just cut the bullsh*t. Someone has to pull the trigger of a gun for it to operate. Guns don't walk off of shelves, out of closets, from beneath beds, and suddenly start killing dozens of people.

Also, while we're at it, spare me the "people who want to get them will get them anyway, legally or illegally." No sh*t, Sherlock. That's why gun crimes are prosecuted tougher than crimes commited without them.

The bottom line is this: WAKE THE F*CK UP! Owning and "collecting" firearms isn't like having a damn baseball card collection. There is real danger involved. Quit selling the damn things at gun shows without background checks. Quit selling them to non-citizens. And, continue to make illegal possession and gun crime laws tougher.

Dickwheels.

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 12:48 PM
(d) have a hunting license or who will pay $1,500 per gun per year to be a "collector."

skipping the rest..........you think I should have to buy a hunting license yearly or pay a $1500 fee per year just to keep the 30-30 I grew up hunting with?

85Sooner
4/17/2007, 12:52 PM
skipping the rest..........you think I should have to buy a hunting license yearly or pay a $1500 fee per year just to keep the 30-30 I grew up hunting with?

I think hes referring to automatic weapons

85Sooner
4/17/2007, 12:52 PM

I think hes referring to automatic weapons

Hamhock
4/17/2007, 12:58 PM

(2) The military

Look, the 18th century was a different time. There is no possible way Washington, Jefferson, Madison, & Co. would have gone for selling guns to foreign nationals or not having background checks for people buying guns at gunshows.

The whole thing is damn stupid. Guns are guns. They kill. And, yes, I understand that not everyone who owns a damn gun will kill somebody. So, don't give me the bullsh*t "guns don't kill people, people kill people" or the "well, what about knives."

Just cut the bullsh*t. Someone has to pull the trigger of a gun for it to operate. Guns don't walk off of shelves, out of closets, from beneath beds, and suddenly start killing dozens of people.

Also, while we're at it, spare me the "people who want to get them will get them anyway, legally or illegally." No sh*t, Sherlock. That's why gun crimes are prosecuted tougher than crimes commited without them.

The bottom line is this: WAKE THE F*CK UP! Owning and "collecting" firearms isn't like having a damn baseball card collection. There is real danger involved. Quit selling the damn things at gun shows without background checks. Quit selling them to non-citizens. And, continue to make illegal possession and gun crime laws tougher.

Dickwheels.

my cold, dead hand.

sincerely,
dickwheel

Tear Down This Wall
4/17/2007, 01:21 PM
Yes. There answer to all the above questions to my post is "yes."

And, the reason is, the gun lobby is always whining that tighrer laws will hurt hunters, colector, blah, blah, blah.

Okay, fine. If you scream and holler that I've got to have a gun to hunt, simply produce your hunting license when you stand at the counter and are giving the dude all of the sh*t they need for a background check.

Folks, I'm not saying repeal the 2nd Amendment. I'm saying be realistic. My dad bought a .38 two weeks ago. Our family hunts every year.

But, the guy from Korea wasn't a hunter. He wasn't a collector. He was a damn foreign national with a history of mental problems and someone sold him a Glock last month! That's not right.

This isn't rocket science. We live in a democratic republic. Every freedom you have is balanced in some way. Yes, we have the right to own firearms. But, to better keep them out of the hands of nutcases, the laws need to be tightened...again.

And, if that means reaching into your wallet and displaying a measly little hunting license, then fine.

Also, I don't care who you are. There is no possible reason on earth citizens of the United States need to personally own things like AK-47s. There's no civil war here, there's no police force or military harassing or conscripting citizens, and...you sure as hell can hunt down animals with less...a lot less...take Ted Nugent or my cousins who hunt with bows, for instance.

Please, you 2nd Amendment bangers are as bad as the ALCU 1st Amendment bangers.

Get real. Three dozen kids were massacred at a college yesterday.

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 01:27 PM
Dude, I haven't hunted in YEARS.

Why would I purchase a hunting license just to keep it under my bed?

yermom
4/17/2007, 01:29 PM

And, the reason is, the gun lobby is always whining that tighrer laws will hurt hunters, colector, blah, blah, blah.

Okay, fine. If you scream and holler that I've got to have a gun to hunt, simply produce your hunting license when you stand at the counter and are giving the dude all of the sh*t they need for a background check.

Folks, I'm not saying repeal the 2nd Amendment. I'm saying be realistic. My dad bought a .38 two weeks ago. Our family hunts every year.

But, the guy from Korea wasn't a hunter. He wasn't a collector. He was a damn foreign national with a history of mental problems and someone sold him a Glock last month! That's not right.

This isn't rocket science. We live in a democratic republic. Every freedom you have is balanced in some way. Yes, we have the right to own firearms. But, to better keep them out of the hands of nutcases, the laws need to be tightened...again.

And, if that means reaching into your wallet and displaying a measly little hunting license, then fine.

Also, I don't care who you are. There is no possible reason on earth citizens of the United States need to personally own things like AK-47s. There's no civil war here, there's no police force or military harassing or conscripting citizens, and...you sure as hell can hunt down animals with less...a lot less...take Ted Nugent or my cousins who hunt with bows, for instance.

and it wasn't with an AK

you sure have a rosy view of the government. sure they aren't doing things like that now... but that was one of the first thing the Nazis did was to restrict guns (how did Jerk get my password?)

guns aren't just for hunting, that's not even in the equation here, Glocks aren't for hunting

and just because someone has $1500 or a hunting license doesn't make them not a nutcase

all that does is make a person with less money unable to protect their home legally

and i'm not sure Ted Nugent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqAzji0km9w) is the best person to be citing...

JohnnyMack
4/17/2007, 01:33 PM
I've learned one thing on this board. People ain't never gonna let the gubmint take they guns away. Good, bad or indifferent, it ain't gonna happen.

royalfan5
4/17/2007, 01:33 PM
Look at the brightside though. The odds of the average citizen getting perforated is still pretty low compared to other ways of dying.

Hamhock
4/17/2007, 01:36 PM
Also, I don't care who you are. There is no possible reason on earth citizens of the United States need to personally own things like AK-47s.

this is only your opinon. i know people who feel they need an AK-47. Why? I don't know. I don't care.

There's no civil war here, there's no police force or military harassing or conscripting citizens, and...

so, if there was a civil war, you'd be OK with AK's? So, if a civil war starts, i can expect the government to give me an AK to protect myself?

you sure as hell can hunt down animals with less...a lot less...take Ted Nugent or my cousins who hunt with bows, for instance.

most everyone i know could get to work every day on bicycle, but instead choose to risk their life with a car. big deal.

homerSimpsonsBrain
4/17/2007, 01:37 PM

I'm not disagreeing with you but with privacy laws etc, in practical terms how do you verify someone doesnt have a history of mental illness? I guess you could require a buyer to waive their privacy rights but where does the shop owner go to get the mental health history?

oilmud
4/17/2007, 01:45 PM
so, if there was a civil war, you'd be OK with AK's? So, if a civil war starts, i can expect the government to give me an AK to protect myself?

lol!
:pop:

85Sooner
4/17/2007, 01:47 PM
this is only your opinon. i know people who feel they need an AK-47. Why? I don't know. I don't care.

most everyone i know could get to work every day on bicycle, but instead choose to risk their life with a car. big deal.

I feel I have the need to own an AK for the simple reason that I am not counting on Law enforcement to protect me 24/7/365. No I don't need one for hunting, but the more I see our societies tendencies, If and when the ---- hits the fan I am not going quietly.

Hamhock
4/17/2007, 01:50 PM
I feel I have the need to own an AK for the simple reason that I am not counting on Law enforcement to protect me 24/7/365. No I don't need one for hunting, but the more I see our societies tendencies, If and when the ---- hits the fan I am not going quietly.

i know a guy who spends thousands of dollars on remote control racing cars. i don't understand it. i think it's a huge waste of money. but i don't think he should be prevented from doing it just because i don't agree with it.

jk the sooner fan
4/17/2007, 01:51 PM
remote control cars dont kill people.....remote control car hobbyists do!!!!!!!

Hamhock
4/17/2007, 01:52 PM
remote control cars dont kill people.....remote control car hobbyists do!!!!!!!

ed zachary

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 01:54 PM
Masturbaters don't kill kittens. God kills kittens.

Or is it the other way around?

JohnnyMack
4/17/2007, 01:55 PM
http://www.gamepolitics.com/images/tinfoil-hat.jpg

colleyvillesooner
4/17/2007, 02:00 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/ZakkVanDime/message%20boards/TinFoilHat_puton.jpg

tommieharris91
4/17/2007, 02:04 PM
Has this been posted yet? Definitely NSFW.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0417071vtech1.html

I don't even know if this is real, but if it is, then it says that the kid was one completely sick freak. I could only get through 2 pages of it without feeling fairly disgusted. I really don't blame his professor for recommending him to counseling. Anyone that reads something like this should be disturbed.

picasso
4/17/2007, 02:26 PM
you anti gun types need to read the stats in the state of Florida since they've changed their conceal and carry laws. crime has gone way down.

I'm not a gun bubba, but I'm glad we have them around.

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 02:29 PM
you anti gun types need to read the stats in the state of Florida since they've changed their conceal and carry laws. crime has gone way down.

Correlation or causation? When did they change the laws?

tommieharris91
4/17/2007, 02:30 PM
Do "make my day" and "stand your ground" have anything to do with this?

Rhino
4/17/2007, 02:32 PM
http://img211.echo.cx/img211/2209/poorkid0ku.jpg
http://img178.echo.cx/img178/6065/poordog5gf.jpg

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/17/2007, 02:34 PM
http://img211.echo.cx/img211/2209/poorkid0ku.jpg

That thing looks deelishus.

It's even got a Kiss on top for dessert.

Xstnlsooner
4/17/2007, 02:38 PM
You eat CHILDRENS?????????

SoonerBorn68
4/17/2007, 02:41 PM

Whoa, whoa...WHOA! I don't care who you are. You have no right to tell me what legal firearm I can own. There's no civil war here, there's no police force or military harassing or conscripting citizens--partly because of private gun ownership aka AK-47's & AR-15's. I don't hunt & I don't collect guns. I have 8 and they all serve a purpose--home and family protection.

I had an interesting conversation with a whack job liberal who asked me why I had so many guns. My answer was if the world ever went nuts I'd be prepared. He told me I should have stockpiled food & asked what I planned to eat. I looked him dead in the eye and coldy replied "Your food".

jk the sooner fan
4/17/2007, 02:41 PM
That thing looks deelishus.

It's even got a Kiss on top for dessert.

you wonder if thats one of the holiday flavored kisses too ya know?

royalfan5
4/17/2007, 02:43 PM
Whoa, whoa...WHOA! I don't care who you are. You have no right to tell me what legal firearm I can own. There's no civil war here, there's no police force or military harassing or conscripting citizens--partly because of private gun ownership. I don't hunt & I don't collect guns. I have 8 and they all serve a purpose--home and family protection.

I had an interesting conversation with a whack job liberal who asked me why I had so many guns. My answer was if the world ever went nuts I'd be prepared. He told me I should have stockpiled food & asked what I planned to eat. I looked him dead in the eye and coldy replied "Your food".
I'm the opposite, I figure it's best to get killed right away if the world goes nuts. The best way to do that is to be an easy mark. That's my philospohy.

SoonerBorn68
4/17/2007, 02:52 PM
I'm the opposite, I figure it's best to get killed right away if the world goes nuts. The best way to do that is to be an easy mark. That's my philospohy.

Quitter. ;)

Frozen Sooner
4/17/2007, 02:53 PM
You know, everyone was stockpiling food in case of y2k.

I was stockpiling guns. That way, everyone ELSE was stockpiling food for me. :D

royalfan5
4/17/2007, 02:56 PM
You know, everyone was stockpiling food in case of y2k.

I was stockpiling guns. That way, everyone ELSE was stockpiling food for me. :D
Yeah, but you'd be ****ed if they stockpiled both.

TopDawg
4/17/2007, 03:03 PM

Maybe we could get like 2-weeks advance notice on the civil war (or however long it takes to get a gun legally).

Scott D
4/17/2007, 03:07 PM

the kid's glocks had the serial numbers filed off. Either he got them legally and did it, or he got them via an illegal source, which in this country isn't hard to do at all.

RFH Shakes
4/17/2007, 03:15 PM
Heh, I guess there's no free speech in this forum. Different opinions = neg spek. So much for our constitution ;)

Yep, it's an old argument that "it's the gunner, not the gun" that is to blame. Come on, Japan manages to have a low crime rate due to stricter gun control. England almost has no murder rate for the same reason. You can say all you want about the freedom for firearms, but the fact is our country has one of the highest crime rate in the world involving concealed weapons.

Read this: http://www.guninformation.org/ (I know y'all gun lovers will say this is propaganda site and all, but it's all based on facts)

Sure black markets will emerge and all, but the bottom-line is: the current accessibility of guns really makes things easier for these psychos to get out there and do their killing sprees. It's like having a credit card. It makes you feel like you got more money than what you actually have, so you go out there on spending spree until you realize you can't pay the bills then file bankruptcy). People who don't have credit cards tend to do better managing their financial. Come on, if you got a Ferrari, wouldn't you be tempted to take it for a fast spin on the neighborhood, even though you know that you normally don't do it? If you got an SUV that can barely go 60 in 30 seconds, would you even bother to speed up? The point is, possessing a gun in some way does influences your decision-making even if you're the most sane person in the entire world. And tell that to those kids that start putting up stupid videos on Youtube because they happen to have a webcam lying around on their PC.
That is a load! I have owned and been around guns my entire life I have never had the urge to go on a killing spree.
That is the same mind set as people blaming the University for some nut killing its students.
Start blaming the criminals!

SoonerBorn68
4/17/2007, 04:03 PM
The point is, possessing a gun in some way does influences your decision-making even if you're the most sane person in the entire world.

Yes it does. I know I have the power with my weapons to take life so I'm very cautious & it makes my decision making even more conservative. Ending somebody's life with my gun is not what I want to do.

Ya know, I think Spiderman summed it up nicely. "With great power comes great responsibility."

Vaevictis
4/17/2007, 04:11 PM
Maybe we could get like 2-weeks advance notice on the civil war (or however long it takes to get a gun legally).

Smart people take the time to find out where the local National Guard armories are when they first move into an area. Just in case. ;)

Frozen Sooner
4/17/2007, 04:28 PM
Yes it does. I know I have the power with my weapons to take life so I'm very cautious & it makes my decision making even more conservative. Ending somebody's life with my gun is not what I want to do.

Ya know, I think Spiderman summed it up nicely. "With great power comes great responsibility."

Pfft. Uncle Ben said that.

KC//CRIMSON
4/17/2007, 04:32 PM
I've learned one thing on this board. People ain't never gonna let the gubmint take they guns away. Good, bad or indifferent, it ain't gonna happen.

From My Cold, Dead Hands!

Scott D
4/17/2007, 04:33 PM
Pfft. Uncle Ben said that.

then he died...shows what he knew ;)

Jerk
4/17/2007, 05:31 PM
Once AK-47's are outlawed, only outlaws will have AK-47s.

I don't need one, anyway. My AR-15 is a superior rifle.

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 05:35 PM
Once AK-47's are outlawed, only outlaws will have AK-47s.

I don't need one, anyway. My AR-15 is a superior rifle.

Where do you personally draw the line for "arms" in the 2nd Amendment? Like, can just anybody own an M-60? Hand grenades? A flame-thrower? A mortar? Artillery?

Jerk
4/17/2007, 05:37 PM

(2) The military

Dickwheels.

I see you're turing into a leftist shrill. $1500 per year per gun? Bull fu**ing sh**. You'll fu** Michael Moore in the a** before I pay $1500 per gun, per year.

You suck now. Please change your name to "It's for the chil'ren"

That's seems to be a good slogan that would fit you better.

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 05:38 PM
I fear a neg from Jerk more than anyone else.

Jerk
4/17/2007, 05:40 PM
Where do you personally draw the line for "arms" in the 2nd Amendment? Like, can just anybody own an M-60? Hand grenades? A flame-thrower? A mortar? Artillery?

There are individual weapons and crew served weapons. A tank is a crew served weapon. A rifle is an individual weapon. I see the 2nd amendment as protecting any individual weapon, capable of being carried by one man, that fires an un-guided projectile with no explosive warhead.

Jerk
4/17/2007, 05:49 PM
There's a Rage Against the Machine song about going into a rich white neighborhood and killing people. I wonder if this is were ching chong wi got his inspiration.

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 05:51 PM
I see the 2nd amendment as protecting any individual weapon, capable of being carried by one man, that fires an un-guided projectile with no explosive warhead.

Where are you getting that from, then? That's certainly not spelled out in the 2nd Amendment.

Rusher
4/17/2007, 05:51 PM
I assume you all saw the news right? The gunman got the gun legally. Showed the paperworks, did background check yada yada and he got the gun perfectly legal.

yermom
4/17/2007, 05:52 PM
ok, i should be able to have a tank then :D

Frozen Sooner
4/17/2007, 05:55 PM
I assume you all saw the news right? The gunman got the gun legally. Showed the paperworks, did background check yada yada and he got the gun perfectly legal.

Dude. Get it right.

He was an illegal alien from China working with al-Qaeda who obtained the gun illegally and was under the influence of a defunct liberal-leaning rock group.

I mean, if we can't turn this into a vast conspiracy, what CAN we?

Unfortunately, people attempt to make sense of something which is absolutely senseless. A young man was insane. He obtained a firearm legally because he hadn't done anything to deny him his right to own one yet. Something finally sent him over the edge and he ended up killing a lot of innocent people.

Sometimes people are just insane. He was one of them. Sometimes there's just no meaning behind something. This was one of them.

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 05:56 PM
He was an illegal alien from China working with al-Qaeda who obtained the gun illegally and was under the influence of a defunct liberal-leaning rock group.

He probably played a lot of Grand Theft Auto, too.

Frozen Sooner
4/17/2007, 05:57 PM
Sorry. Forgot that part.

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 06:00 PM
ok, i should be able to have a tank then :D

You can own a tank, but it has to be disarmed.

Does anybody remember the movie Tank? It came out in the mid-80s, and starred Norman's own James Garner. I think C. Thomas Howell was Garner's son. I don't remember the plot exactly, but it was sort of like Smokey and The Bandit, except with a Sherman tank instead of a Trans-Am.

Rusher
4/17/2007, 06:07 PM
Actually he calculated the massacre. He bought the first gun a month prior to buying the 2nd gun which was bought last Friday. He's already messed up from the get go but apparently was clean enough to bypass the background check to get the guns.

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 06:09 PM
Actually he calculated the massacre. He bought the first gun a month prior to buying the 2nd gun which was bought last Friday. He's already messed up from the get go but apparently was clean enough to bypass the background check to get the guns.

Where are you going with this? Should we prevent people with a family history of alcholism from getting a driver's license?

picasso
4/17/2007, 06:10 PM
hell this entire thing is a fine example of how you can't always rely on the police, security and those trying to serve and protect. sometimes you have to defend yourself.

C&CDean
4/17/2007, 06:12 PM

OK. So let us know when you have a point.

Jerk
4/17/2007, 06:27 PM
Where are you getting that from, then? That's certainly not spelled out in the 2nd Amendment.

I'm going back to the 1700's here. Every male was part of the militia and required to 'keep and bear arms' and show up whenever an emergency was needed. He wouldn't show up with anything that couldn't be carried, and I'm sure the most common weapon was a musket- the equivelant of today's rifle. Kind of like the Internet and TV have taken over the printed press.

Some people here (and I'm not talking about you, mdklatt) are making some pretty smart-as* remarks. That's fine.

I'm not the one who tried to spew an agenda before the bodies were even cold.

SoonerBBall
4/17/2007, 06:33 PM

Wow, it is statements like this that drive me crazy.

First off, we live in a constitutional republic. The founding fathers were smart and intended it that way. They also had very negative things to say about democracy and its principals. I desperately want to neg you for not knowing what form of government you live under, but then I'd have to neg 75% of this board and I don't have that kind of time. P.S. This is were you start envoking your non-existent "right to vote".

Second, the law wouldn't have stopped anyone who planned months in advance to commit a massacre. If he hadn't been able to get the guns legally, he would have gotten them illegally. Do you honestly believe that someone who would commit premeditated murder would honor gun control laws? Riiiight.

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 06:33 PM
I'm going back to the 1700's here. Every male was part of the militia and required to 'keep and bear arms' and show up whenever an emergency was needed.

Does that mean that every gun owner is now part of a national militia? That is, can gun owners be federalized like the National Guard and sent to Iraq? Or maybe you already have to be in the National Guard (that's our militia nowadays, after all) to own a gun. There's so much ambiguity in that amendment, possibly more than any of the others.

Do you support basic gun control provisions, like background checks?

Jerk
4/17/2007, 06:51 PM
Does that mean that every gun owner is now part of a national militia? That is, can gun owners be federalized like the National Guard and sent to Iraq? Or maybe you already have to be in the National Guard (that's our militia nowadays, after all) to own a gun. There's so much ambiguity in that amendment, possibly more than any of the others.

Do you support basic gun control provisions, like background checks?

Actually, yes I do support background checks. I don't believe that felons should have guns.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode10/usc_sec_10_00000311----000-.html

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 (http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode32/usc_sec_32_00000313----000-.html) of title 32 (http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode32/usc_sup_01_32.html), under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are— (1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

As In understand it, all males are in the militia. Under Oklahoma law, all armed males can be called by the state Governor. Could Brad Henry send us to Iraq? I dunno..but maybe so.

TopDawg
4/17/2007, 07:27 PM
As In understand it, all males are in the militia. Under Oklahoma law, all armed males can be called by the state Governor.

My dad has a revolver that's been handed down in our family. It probably hasn't been fired in over 75 years. I wonder if he could be called.

SicEmBaylor
4/17/2007, 07:34 PM
An important element being missed here is that the 2nd Amendment isn't just about protecting yourself from a home intruder, it's the last line of defense and the last form of insurance the individual citizen has against a tyrannical government.

royalfan5
4/17/2007, 07:37 PM
An important element being missed here is that the 2nd Amendment isn't just about protecting yourself from a home intruder, it's the last line of defense and the last form of insurance the individual citizen has against a tyrannical government.
Let's be honest, some random dudes with guns ain't going to last very long against the gov't if the gov't really wants something by force.

SicEmBaylor
4/17/2007, 07:39 PM
Let's be honest, some random dudes with guns ain't going to last very long against the gov't if the gov't really wants something by force.

Well that's very correct. It's largely symbolic unless you advocate individual citizens being allowed to have some sort of parity with federal firepower (and I do) and by that I mean allowing individual citizens to buy a howitzer if they so choose.

royalfan5
4/17/2007, 07:40 PM
Well that's very correct. It's largely symbolic unless you advocate individual citizens being allowed to have some sort of parity with federal firepower (and I do) and by that I mean allowing individual citizens to buy a howitzer if they so choose.
one dude with a howitzer ain't going to last long against a trained military either.

TopDawg
4/17/2007, 07:42 PM
one dude with a howitzer ain't going to last long against a trained military either.

Depends on who's directing the movie.

SicEmBaylor
4/17/2007, 07:42 PM
No, but a large group of them who pool their resources might be able to hold out for a few hours ;).

I don't disagree with you...it'd be damned near impossible to hold out against the government. I think the only hope we'd have against a truly tyrannical government are the good folks in the military themselves defecting and bringing their hardware with them.

oilmud
4/17/2007, 07:45 PM

Yeah, it'll be just like Iraq. The big bad gov't will just roll the citizenry over like it's not there.

tommieharris91

A dude with a nuke won't last long either.

royalfan5
No, but a large group of them who pool their resources might be able to hold out for a few hours ;).

I don't disagree with you...it'd be damned near impossible to hold out against the government. I think the only hope we'd have against a truly tyrannical government are the good folks in the military themselves defecting and bringing their hardware with them.
If the military switched sides they would be the government. So it really wouldn't matter that much how the citizens were armed.

SicEmBaylor
4/17/2007, 07:50 PM
If the military switched sides they would be the government. So it really wouldn't matter that much how the citizens were armed.
The military is the government? Well, that pokes a hole in that whole civilian leadership thing.

What I'm saying is that my hope is that members of the military, be they individuals or entire units, would fulfill their pledge to uphold the Constitution by removing tyranny and re-establishing constitutional government.

That's pretty wishful thinking though, I think we'd be far more likely to get a jack booted military dictatorship. =(

royalfan5
4/17/2007, 07:52 PM
The military is the government? Well, that pokes a hole in that whole civilian leadership thing.

What I'm saying is that my hope is that members of the military, be they individuals or entire units, would fulfill their pledge to uphold the Constitution by removing tyranny and re-establishing constitutional government.

That's pretty wishful thinking though, I think we'd be far more likely to get a jack booted military dictatorship. =(
I didn't say that. I said that if the military really wanted to be the government, they could be quite easily. At first anyway.

SicEmBaylor
4/17/2007, 07:54 PM
I didn't say that. I said that if the military really wanted to be the government, they could be quite easily. At first anyway.
That's true.

GrapevineSooner
4/17/2007, 08:10 PM

Probably because beyond reporting his twisted writings to the administration, nothing else was done about this young man.

If your point is that mentally unstable people shouldn't own guns, well, I can jump aboard that bandwagon. But when others can't connect the dots for other people to see...

I'm trying hard to knee jerk about the administration of Virginia Tech because hindsight is 20/20. But at this point, it appears they dropped a major ball somewhere down the line.

SicEmBaylor
4/17/2007, 08:14 PM
Also, the 2nd Amendment is for Americans not legal aliens, legal resident aliens, student aliens, illegal aliens, or martians.
I would make it illegal for anyone not a US citizen to buy a firearm which sort of makes sense to me.

royalfan5
4/17/2007, 08:19 PM
Also, the 2nd Amendment is for Americans not legal aliens, legal resident aliens, student aliens, illegal aliens, or martians.
I would make it illegal for anyone not a US citizen to buy a firearm which sort of makes sense to me.
Like it would matter that much, if somebody really wants a gun, they are going to get a gun. Legally or illegally.

yermom
4/17/2007, 09:12 PM
damn.

this guy probably deserves his own thread

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8OIFQKG0&show_article=1

The e-mails from grateful students arrived soon after Liviu Librescu was shot to death, telling how the Holocaust survivor barricaded the doorway of his Virginia Tech classroom and saved their lives at the cost of his own.

Librescu, an Israeli engineering and math lecturer who survived the Nazi killings and later escaped from Communist Romania, was one of several foreign victims of Monday's shootings, which coincided with Israel's Holocaust remembrance day.

"My father blocked the doorway with his body and asked the students to flee," Librescu's son, Joe Librescu, said Tuesday in a telephone interview from his home outside Tel Aviv. "Students started opening windows and jumping out."

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 09:30 PM
damn.

this guy probably deserves his own thread

Yeah, they should rename that building after him or something.

Hamhock
4/18/2007, 08:00 AM
Probably because beyond reporting his twisted writings to the administration, nothing else was done about this young man.

If your point is that mentally unstable people shouldn't own guns, well, I can jump aboard that bandwagon. But when others can't connect the dots for other people to see...

I'm trying hard to knee jerk about the administration of Virginia Tech because hindsight is 20/20. But at this point, it appears they dropped a major ball somewhere down the line.

if i reported every body at OU that i felt was mentally deranged, well, it would have been a bunch of folk. the blame for this lays squarely on the shoulders of the idiot that pulled the triggers. (and Wile E. Coyote)

Mjcpr
4/18/2007, 08:07 AM
So what's with the armed police on the VT campus? Saw a breaking news on CNN about it.

Hamhock
4/18/2007, 08:08 AM
So what's with the armed police on the VT campus? Saw a breaking news on CNN about it.

there was a shooting there a couple of days ago....geesh you idjit.

Hatfield
4/18/2007, 08:15 AM
sad that the focus is on the ********* and not on the victims.

sanantoniosooner
4/18/2007, 08:18 AM
sad that the focus is on the ********* and not on the victims.
I think it's pretty typical to try and make sense out of the psycho.

Hatfield
4/18/2007, 08:20 AM
but that is the thing. Nobody wants to make sense out of it, we just want to hear that he is "a loner" so we can all go back to feeling safe and secure. Because you know he couldn't have been normal he was just a loner.

sanantoniosooner
4/18/2007, 08:22 AM
Apparently you don't listen to the same news sources I do.

picasso
4/18/2007, 08:30 AM
but that is the thing. Nobody wants to make sense out of it, we just want to hear that he is "a loner" so we can all go back to feeling safe and secure. Because you know he couldn't have been normal he was just a loner.
oh that's not totally true. "we want to understand and find motive."
I can understand that reasoning but sometimes a person is just jacked. they're saying the guy was a stone cold loner, some say they tried to befriend him.

OU4LIFE
4/18/2007, 08:33 AM
trying to understand him? To me this ranks up there with the thread from last week about the guys friend turning out to be as molester....they guy could have been completely normal, some people are just wired backwards.

There is no sense in what this guy did, there never will be. We just need to celebrate the lives of the people who were lost, not the dumbas that took them.

Hatfield
4/18/2007, 08:34 AM
i do know this.....after reading bits of his plays...how in the hell did he make it to senior level as an english major?

sanantoniosooner
4/18/2007, 08:45 AM
trying to understand him? To me this ranks up there with the thread from last week about the guys friend turning out to be as molester....they guy could have been completely normal, some people are just wired backwards.

There is no sense in what this guy did, there never will be. We just need to celebrate the lives of the people who were lost, not the dumbas that took them.
There are external factors that contribute to situations like this most of the time. If you don't try to understand those things, then you will never see this coming. There are LOTS of people that are "wired wrong" that don't do crap like this.

OU4LIFE
4/18/2007, 09:00 AM
I realize that, but no one ever "sees this coming" until after the fact.

most of these people that are wired wrong, well you never KNOW that they are wired wrong until something like this happens.

sanantoniosooner
4/18/2007, 09:07 AM
I realize that, but no one ever "sees this coming" until after the fact.

most of these people that are wired wrong, well you never KNOW that they are wired wrong until something like this happens.
They've been interviewing an administrator at VT that alerted authorities about this guy 2 years ago. She saw something coming. But what can you do?

picasso
4/18/2007, 09:10 AM
his roomie says the dude would never look him in the eyes and always wore sunglasses.

also, based on his writings I'm betting some old dude felt him up as a youngster.

yermom
4/18/2007, 09:11 AM
They've been interviewing an administrator at VT that alerted authorities about this guy 2 years ago. She saw something coming. But what can you do?

when do we start that Pre-crime office?

sanantoniosooner
4/18/2007, 09:15 AM
when do we start that Pre-crime office?
About the only thing that you could possibly do is document enough stuff to flag him from buying guns legally. Or possibly require counseling to remained enrolled.

But that wouldn't stop this. He'd get it illegally.

yermom
4/18/2007, 09:20 AM
that's kinda what i'm getting at

i don't know what it's like in Virginia, but all i had to do to buy a gun was basically check a box that said i wasn't crazy or something. it's a bunch of yes/no questions like "have you been involuntarily hospitalized for mental problems" or "are you planning to take over the government". stuff like that

until someone does something, what are you going to do?

mdklatt
4/18/2007, 09:41 AM
it's a bunch of yes/no questions like..."are you planning to take over the government".

That's just stupid. Who is ever going to check "yes" for that one?

yermom
4/18/2007, 10:10 AM
like a crazy person is going to be obligated to answer any of them truthfully :D

mdklatt
4/18/2007, 10:15 AM
like a crazy person is going to be obligated to answer any of them truthfully :D

Well, maybe a crazy person would answer them truthfully. Can you imagine Ted Kaczynksi's application? He'd turn that "overthrowing the government" question into an essay question.

picasso
4/18/2007, 10:18 AM
ok, sounds like this kid was a first class stalker. he just needed a good *** kicking.

It's sad, I mean there's always going to be a chick or two that won't give you the time of day, even if you're as handsome as Pat is.

royalfan5
4/18/2007, 10:49 AM
i do know this.....after reading bits of his plays...how in the hell did he make it to senior level as an english major?
He supposedly just switched to it from BusAd.

OU-HSV
4/18/2007, 11:36 AM
Just FYI, I noticed this on soonersports.com
Messages for Va Tech. I thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=300&ATCLID=867762&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=300&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

yermom
4/18/2007, 11:40 AM
Well, maybe a crazy person would answer them truthfully. Can you imagine Ted Kaczynksi's application? He'd turn that "overthrowing the government" question into an essay question.

not if he wanted a gun...

CUinNC
4/18/2007, 11:42 AM
that's kinda what i'm getting at

i don't know what it's like in Virginia, but all i had to do to buy a gun was basically check a box that said i wasn't crazy or something. it's a bunch of yes/no questions like "have you been involuntarily hospitalized for mental problems" or "are you planning to take over the government". stuff like that

until someone does something, what are you going to do?

Virginia requires 3 types of identification - the dude was a legal, so he qualified.
They also run you through InstaCheck database, which everyone uses - he cleared....

NC is about the same - we don't have a waiting period either...just add in a $5 fee for each gun purchased

mdklatt
4/18/2007, 11:43 AM
not if he wanted a gun...

You're forgetting the "crazy" part. ;)

OU4LIFE
4/18/2007, 11:43 AM
even if you're as handsome as Pat is.

don't encourage her.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/18/2007, 01:12 PM
Just FYI, I noticed this on soonersports.com
Messages for Va Tech. I thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=300&ATCLID=867762&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=300&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

I left mine...

Mjcpr
4/18/2007, 01:15 PM
That was well said, Connie.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/18/2007, 01:26 PM
I signed it 'BSG' and my location was 'soonerfans.com'.

Heh.

You people should do it. Maybe one of them will come over and click some ads.

OU-HSV
4/18/2007, 01:52 PM
I did one too, but it hasn't shown up yet. There's still the same ones on there that were there this morning.

sanantoniosooner
4/18/2007, 02:33 PM
they may inspect and post them in batches so some knucklehead doesn't pull a Gordo threat.

OU-HSV
4/18/2007, 02:59 PM
Yeah SAS, looks like that's what they're probably doing. Mine is on there now.

JohnnyMack
4/18/2007, 04:22 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18169776/

soonerscuba
4/18/2007, 04:28 PM
What the hell is happening at Mizzou?

Okla-homey
4/18/2007, 04:54 PM
What the hell is happening at Mizzou?

apparently not much. its the media food frenzy. Anything involving a gun within 50 miles of a college or high school is going to attract attention until things get back to normal.

Okla-homey
4/18/2007, 04:57 PM
Just a thought. Anyone else wonder if the Ruf/Neks shotguns are going to become problematic now? Know what I mean?

Personally, I don't feel they should be, but I could see how some people could be inspired to take a swipe at them as very insensitive now. You know, gun+college=bad, etc.

yermom
4/18/2007, 05:03 PM
this guy is probably in more immediate danger...

http://www.wvculture.org/goldenseal/fall06/mountaineer1.jpg

Okla-homey
4/18/2007, 05:06 PM
this guy is probably in more immediate danger...

http://www.wvculture.org/goldenseal/fall06/mountaineer1.jpg

yep, especially for the VT/WVU game (if they even play this year, I'm not sure if they are in the same division)

yermom
4/18/2007, 05:07 PM
they are different conferences now, i'm not sure if they have a rivalry thing or not

Mjcpr
4/18/2007, 05:07 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18169776/
Yep....he sent writings, videos and pictures in a package to NBC News apparently between shootings.

Psycho bastard.

http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/i/msnbc/Components/Art/COVER/070418/STG_Mega_KillerSpeaks_251p.jpg

Scott D
4/18/2007, 05:08 PM
yep, especially for the VT/WVU game (if they even play this year, I'm not sure if they are in the same division)

VT is in the ACC
WVU is in the Big lEast

Blue
4/18/2007, 06:06 PM
This kid hated rich privelaged kids so much, why did he go to the engineering building?

Business building would make more sense.

OU-HSV
4/18/2007, 06:08 PM
I'm watching this on msnbc right now. What a freak

picasso
4/18/2007, 06:30 PM
usually if you don't have any friends and such it's because you're a jerk or you have personal problems. even outcast types have friends.

there's always going to be a guy that has more money, more cognac, more hot girlfriends and a nicer car. it's life.

jk the sooner fan
4/18/2007, 06:36 PM
what a sick twisted dude....the video tape is chilling...

talk about ice water running thru your veins....he just murdered two people and knows he's about to go on a killing spree....and it doesnt shake him one bit

Blue
4/18/2007, 06:39 PM
what a sick twisted dude....the video tape is chilling...

talk about ice water running thru your veins....he just murdered two people and knows he's about to go on a killing spree....and it doesnt shake him one bit

The videos were made before the day of the killings I think.

jk the sooner fan
4/18/2007, 06:40 PM
The videos were made before the day of the killings I think.

i thought they said it was made in the 2 hours between.....at least some of it was made that morning - or so i thought

he still was collected enough to stroll to the post office and put that in the mail

picasso
4/18/2007, 06:44 PM
some of them are 6 days old. little clips kinda like you see on the internet. some of them are said to be between shootings.

jk the sooner fan
4/18/2007, 06:47 PM
i stand partially corrected then!

i have a really hard time carrying anger around for more than an hour....takes alot for me to be ****ed even half a day

i cant even fathom carrying around the hatred he did for as long as he apparently did

Jerk
4/18/2007, 07:10 PM
I don't understand how he legally bought the guns had he been mentally adjucated. We're talking Federal law here.

jk the sooner fan
4/18/2007, 07:15 PM
im not sure that shows up on a police background check......

yermom
4/18/2007, 07:21 PM
yeah, i don't think they check your school permanent record :)

there isn't some nationwide database of anyone that's been committed or anything, is there?

jk the sooner fan
4/18/2007, 07:21 PM
yeah, i don't think they check your school permanent record :)

there isn't some nationwide database of anyone that's been committed or anything, is there?

mental health records are VERY difficult to access.....the privacy on those is very restrictive

Rogue
4/18/2007, 07:23 PM
It's pretty much the "honor system." You either check the "yup I'm crazier'n a ****house rat" box or the "nope, I'm straight I swear to gawd I am" box.

Blue
4/18/2007, 07:25 PM
The symptoms they talk about are pussified psyco-babble at best. Hell. Everyone gets depressed. You move on.

He was just crazy and couldn't deal.

Like some had said in this thread...there's no reason. **** just happens sometimes.

Rogue
4/18/2007, 07:25 PM
There must be a 3:1 reporter to everyone else ratio. They are sticking a microphone in front of every person who walks by. And going for some cheap inchage of trying to break people down so they'll cry on camera. It's sort of ****ing me off.

proud gonzo
4/18/2007, 07:28 PM
it's situations like this that make me embarassed to be a journalism major. buncha ****tards.

Rogue
4/18/2007, 07:31 PM
A couple of my friends are journalism types. I never have figured out if you can really go "off the record." I believe that the editors are responsible for most of the misquotes I read.

PG, you'll be one of the good ones.

proud gonzo
4/18/2007, 08:00 PM
A couple of my friends are journalism types. I never have figured out if you can really go "off the record." I believe that the editors are responsible for most of the misquotes I read.

PG, you'll be one of the good ones.well, i might be if i was going into journalism. After a semester writing ****ty fake news stories and realizing the reason our student paper is so bad, i never want to do any form of journalism. I'll write fiction.

technically you really shouldn't let someone go "off the record" or be anonymous because if you say that, you're catering to what your sources want and you may not be able to do justice to the truth.
Obviously, journalists don't always do that (or the whole Deep Throat, Watergate thing wouldn't have happened). There's a lot of legal crap about all that.

Jerk
4/18/2007, 08:21 PM
Well..I'm the big gun freak here, but I think it's time to change privacy laws so that mental health records, specifically those regarding mental adjucation, are put into NICS as soon as possible. I don't think it would have prevented this, but had he been caught lying on the yellow form (4473), then he could have been arrested on a felony warrant before this all began.

Blue
4/18/2007, 08:27 PM
Well..I'm the big gun freak here, but I think it's time to change privacy laws so that mental health records, specifically those regarding mental adjucation, are put into NICS as soon as possible. I don't think it would have prevented this, but had he been caught lying on the yellow form (4473), then he could have been arrested on a felony warrant before this all began.

So everyone who's ever taken an anti-depressant or felt sad in their life can be considered a menace to society? I think that's about 99% of people.

No more Big Brother fear mongering.

JohnnyMack
4/18/2007, 08:29 PM
there's always going to be a guy that has more money, more cognac, more hot girlfriends and a nicer car. it's life.

Why do you hate Bruce?

OCUDad
4/18/2007, 08:30 PM
i never want to do any form of journalism. I'll write fiction.Girl, today there is no difference.

JohnnyMack
4/18/2007, 08:30 PM
So everyone who's ever taken an anti-depressant or felt sad in their life can be considered a menace to society? I think that's about 99% of people.

No more Big Brother fear mongering.

This guy had been involuntarily committed in 2005.

That information should be in the NCIS database and should be a red flag that prevents a purchase.

Blue
4/18/2007, 08:31 PM

That information should be in the NCIS database and should be a red flag that prevents a purchase.

well that makes sense. :O

Jerk
4/18/2007, 08:40 PM

Thanks for making that clear. That's what I meant.

Rogue
4/18/2007, 08:41 PM
I'm a gun nut and a bleedin' heart mental health professional. No way in hell should mental health records be available. If you are adjudicated as being "incompetent" by a court then that should be readily available. Availabe mental health records would keep people who need help from ever seeking help. Imagining bureaucrats trying to distinguish between someone who is depressed from someone who is dangerous makes my skin crawl. Some psychologists do evaluations for cops and others who carry weapons, but I'd hate to see that for a requirement for hunters, shooters, and "enthusiasts" (my PC term for us gun freaks). I know you're not saying that everyone should have a psych evaluation to buy a gun but it's not too far down that slippery slope from deprivatizing records. Pretty soon someone will isolate the gene that is responsible for random acts of violence and we'll have to give blood. I'm going over to the tin foil hat thread for awhile. ;)

Rogue
4/18/2007, 08:51 PM

And here I thought I was a big old gun totin' liberal. Maybe I'm a closet libertarian. :texan:

Look, this d00d was evil-crazy. Lots of folks are committed once for cracking up under extreme stress, first time learning they were prone to PMS induced psychosis or seasonal depression (OK, maybe those prone to PMS shouldn't have guns ;) ) and I don't even draw the line at involuntary committment for not buying guns. Court adjudicated incompetence, some violent felons, and PMS should be the standard before we start stripping rights away.

leavingthezoo
4/18/2007, 08:57 PM
Court adjudicated incompetence, some violent felons, and PMS should be the standard before we start stripping rights away.

pffffffffft. you guys would all be screwed then. :P