PDA

View Full Version : Where to live in Norman?

crimson2
4/16/2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks

Petro-Sooner
4/16/2007, 11:33 AM
Brookhaven is a nice part of town. Couldnt tell ya a thing about the schools though.

mdklatt
4/16/2007, 11:45 AM
1) Is anyone familiar with these or other areas/parts of town we should consider?

Brookhaven is the "snooty" part of Norman. Summit Valley is pretty far east on Highway 9, but SE Norman seems to be the next big growth area. I would rule out Summit Valley just for having a nonsensical name. Summit. Valley. Which one is it? MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!

If you live in Brookhaven long enough, your kids will be going to Whittier Middle School. The only thing I know about WMS is the long procession of SUVs and luxury cars heading there in the morning and afternoon as people drop off and pick up their demon spawn who are too spoiled to ride the bus.

Taxman71
4/16/2007, 01:07 PM
There aren't really any bad schools in the Norman system IMO. The two elementary schools on the west side (Truman and Roosevelt) and highly sought after and overcrowded, mostly due to them being on the west side of I-35.

Norman does have an open-transfer policy. I would think the only schools hard to transfer in are the 2 grade schools mentioned above. However, I have friends, etc. who swear by many of the other grade schools in Norman, so I wouldn't sweat it.

The west side (Brookhaven et al) is the ritziest part of town, but, as stated above, that comes with a price (keeping up with the Joneses, bratty kids, etc.). That said, it is a very nice part of town, but so is nearly every other part of Norman. If I didn't have to commute to OKC every day, I would love to live off Highway 9 or get a couple acres in east Norman. West Norman is packed like sardines. Also, if not for the wife, I would live close to campus as it is the closest thing to "historic" neighborhoods in Norman and you can walk/ride a bike anywhere.

These sites should help you:

Norman Schools (http://www.norman.k12.ok.us/)

Houses for sale (http://www.openhouseok.com/)

There is also a rumor of building on new grade school on the north or west side of town, but I haven't confirmed this or know exactly where it would be.

IB4OU2
4/16/2007, 01:56 PM
I was always partial to some of the older neighborhoods to the west of Campus and south to highway 9 and being a Mckinley (Maverick WTF?) grad we used to pick on all the Madison grade school kids. They were easy targets.....Plus we rode our bikes all over campus causing lost of mischief and grief for the OUPD.. Just a great atmosphere n that part of town. :)

Petro-Sooner
4/16/2007, 02:01 PM
I live a few blocks west of campus and love it. Quiet nieghborhood. I always see people out walking and jogging.

GottaHavePride
4/16/2007, 03:26 PM
Around campus is a great area, especially just west of the campus. Just keep in mind that those are older houses, so be prepared to deal with typical "aging house" issues. also, those houses are priced on the high side since they're close to campus. Those are hot commodities for newly-hired professors.

stoopified
4/16/2007, 04:41 PM
My wife and I also are plsnningon moving to Norman.We were originally moving this summer but my wife had to drop out of RN school to have OUr second son (Jason Charles born April 9),or oldest son is Ryan James age three so we have many of the same concerns as Crimson 2. This includes which hospital my wife will get a job at.In addition we are looking for middle income housing.

SoonerBorn68
4/16/2007, 10:12 PM
Guh! I've lived in Norman my whole life (38 years) & we've been house hunting hot & heavy for the last 3 weeks. I've looked at, drove by, or viewed online over 100 houses. Summit Valley is nearly empty. We drove the neighborhood & picked up about 40 flyers. All of them over there are cookie cutters & from about $200-$250K. Really not worth as much as they're asking IMO. Norman's market is so inflated. I used the Cleveland County Accessor Office's website (http://www.clevelandcountyassessor.us/) to look at the values vs. the asking price. It's insane. One house we looked at was purchased last year for $159,900 & went on the market 6 months later for $220K. :eek: It's like that all over Norman.

From talking to people & from personal experience west side schools are generally better than the east side. (and all you eastsiders know it ;))

Go here: http://www.openhouseok.com/wc.wwt?ohok~showcity~&city=Norman&State=OK

There's a ton of different houses & you can sort by different criteria. Monroe, Jackson, Truman, Roosevelt, & McKinley are west side elementary schools. Alcott & Whittier are the west side Jr. highs, & Norman High & Norman North are separated by Main St.

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 10:21 PM
Some elementary schools are better and some middle schools are better...PM me if you want my opinion...If there is any chance your wife may be working North of Norman, stay West near I-35....east is a much longer trip for somebody coming from OKC or Moore. West is nice, campus area is nice, some central areas are nice...east is nice in pockets but creates real commuting problems for a commute north of Norman...

C&CDean
4/16/2007, 10:21 PM
If you're smart, you'll go south. Noble, or Purcell even. Or north to Moore.

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 10:23 PM
Guh
There's a ton of different houses & you can sort by different criteria. Monroe, Jackson, Truman, Roosevelt, & McKinley are west side elementary schools. Alcott & Whittier are the west side Jr. highs, & Norman High & Norman North are separated by Main St.

What happened to Cleveland Elementary ???

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 10:24 PM
If you're smart, you'll go south. Noble, or Purcell even. Or north to Moore.

Only if you are a cheap ***.....this is very bad advice....

C&CDean
4/16/2007, 10:29 PM
Only if you are a cheap ***.....this is very bad advice....

**** off Russell. Hell, you live in Norman, so it's gotta suck.

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 10:32 PM
That is not all, I have a vested interest in Norman real estate selling....However, I still think Norman is far superior as a place to live and raise a family...if you think Norman real estate is high (it is not) look around the rest of the country, we have some of the cheapest real estate in the country...

C&CDean
4/16/2007, 10:36 PM
That is not all, I have a vested interest in Norman real estate selling....However, I still think Norman is far superior as a place to live and raise a family...if you think Norman real estate is high (it is not) look around the rest of the country, we have some of the cheapest real estate in the country...

I lived in Norman for over a decade. It's OK, and very nice by many standards. However, why would someone who is young and on a very tight budget not want to live in a place where it's just as convenient to get to work in Norman, the property AND taxes are lower, and the schools are good? Also, Norman has grown to the point that all of the quaint, small-town values have pretty much gone out the window.

mdklatt
4/16/2007, 10:39 PM
Norman's market is so inflated.

No kidding. Maybe the housing bust will take care of that.

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 10:40 PM
Also, Norman has grown to the point that all of the quaint, small-town values have pretty much gone out the window.

Dean, I have lived in Norman for 30 years and I will agree with you on that point...it has really changed...

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 10:40 PM

Norman's market is not inflated, trust me....

mdklatt
4/16/2007, 10:43 PM
Dean, I have lived in Norman for 30 years and I will agree with you on that point...it has really changed...

I've only been here half that time (holy ****!), and many areas are unrecognizable.

SoonerBorn68
4/16/2007, 10:44 PM
We've expanded our search to include 100 mile radius around the metro. We're being picky.

Dean's right, the smaller towns around Norman (primarily south of) are much more affordable and have good schools. Washington, Lexington, Wayne, Purcell, & Paoli are all good.

mdklatt
4/16/2007, 10:45 PM

Compared to what? There is no rational reason for real estate prices to have increased as much as they have in the past five years or so. Not just in Norman, but everywhere.

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 10:47 PM
We've expanded our search to include 100 mile radius around the metro. We're being picky.

Dean's right, the smaller towns around Norman (primarily south of) are much more affordable and have good schools. Washington, Lexington, Wayne, Purcell, & Paoli are all good.

Actually, homes in those towns are dirt cheap but there is a reason for that...Norman was recently(2006 ratings) rated the 46th best place to live in American...take adavantage of Norman or your in a crap shoot...of course, Edmond, Deer Creek are also very nice...

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 10:49 PM
Compared to what? There is no rational reason for real estate prices to have increased as much as they have in the past five years or so. Not just in Norman, but everywhere.

It is called "real estate" it goes up and inevitably it comes down and then it goes up again...I think now is a good time to buy...

mdklatt
4/16/2007, 10:57 PM
Actually, homes in those towns are dirt cheap but there is a reason for that...Norman was recently(2006 ratings) rated the 46th best place to live in American

Which benefits of Norman living would you be missing out on by living in Noble or south Moore?

Sooner98
4/16/2007, 10:57 PM
There are PLENTY of areas on the west side of Norman with nice neighborhoods, where you wouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg to live. If I was to recommend an area to start your search, I would say look within the square mile bordered by Main, Robinson, 36th, and 48th. The areas on the west and northwest side of this area have lots of high-end housing (South Brookhaven), but the rest is very reasonable. Heading north of Robinson puts you into the heart of Brookhaven, and the prices start to head up. The area south of Main is really nice, too - I used to live off of Cherry Creek Road, and loved it there (paid 115K for a 1750 sq foot house, several years back).

Living over here has definite advantages - close to the mall, close to many other businesses/restaurants/stores, and close to the highway. If your wife has to drive north of Norman, she will appreciate not having to drive all the way across town during the busy traffic hours to get to the highway (not to mention being stopped by a train if you lived east of the tracks - huge headache). Not sure about the schools since I don't have kids, but I'm pretty sure this would put you into the Truman school zone.

mdklatt
4/16/2007, 11:01 PM
Living over here has definite advantages - close to the mall, close to many other businesses/restaurants/stores

Some would consider this a disadvantage. Waiting for a train every once in awhile is better than getting through that godforsaken Main/Ed Noble intersection every day. :D

SoonerBorn68
4/16/2007, 11:01 PM

No?

I've got a zillion examples but this one really stands out:

http://www.openhouseok.com/ok/norman/1419%20Greenbriar/frontview/DSC_0003.JPG
http://www.openhouseok.com/wc.wwt?ohok~showhome~&city=norman&address=1419+Greenbriar&st=ok

From Cleveland County:
Value: $171,699.00
Taxable Market: $165,678.00
Land Value: $19,739.00
Gross Assessed: $19,881.36
Adjustments:
Net Assessed: $19,881.36

Basic Residential Type: Residential
Sq. Feet: 2274 Fin.
Bsmt Sq. Feet:
Condition:Good
AC: Central Air to Air Year Built: 1968

Most Recent Sale(s) Date Amount Grantee Grantor 11/18/2005
$159,500.00 Bastard, Greedy

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 11:02 PM
Which benefits of Norman living would you be missing out on by living in Noble or south Moore?

You would have to live in Noble or Moore....you could always visit Norman, not be part of their schools or the rest of the city...to name a few...

Soonerus
4/16/2007, 11:04 PM
No?

I've got a zillion examples but this one really stands out:

http://www.openhouseok.com/ok/norman/1419%20Greenbriar/frontview/DSC_0003.JPG
http://www.openhouseok.com/wc.wwt?ohok~showhome~&city=norman&address=1419+Greenbriar&st=ok

From Cleveland County:
Value: $171,699.00
Taxable Market: $165,678.00
Land Value: $19,739.00
Gross Assessed: $19,881.36
Adjustments:
Net Assessed: $19,881.36

Basic Residential Type: Residential
Sq. Feet: 2274 Fin.
Bsmt Sq. Feet:
Condition:Good
AC: Central Air to Air Year Built: 1968

Most Recent Sale(s) Date Amount Grantee Grantor 11/18/2005
$159,500.00 Bastard, Greedy

looks like someone got a steal...

SoonerBorn68
4/16/2007, 11:08 PM
:rolleyes:

This house got re-acessed since I last looked. The former value was $157,600. Jacking the price up $60K (they just reduced it from $220K) is just insane. They did some "upgrades"--meaning they screwed up the house just enough that when somebody buys it they'll have to dump at least $20K to fix the "improvements".

Sooner98
4/16/2007, 11:11 PM
Some would consider this a disadvantage. Waiting for a train every once in awhile is better than getting through that godforsaken Main/Ed Noble intersection every day. :D

Very true, to each his own. My lazy *** prefers to be at the mall from my house in three minutes, or to the highway in five, rather than drive 15-20 minutes from Noble, or if living around campus, driving down the two-mile bottleneck also known as Lindsey Street, to get there.

stonecoldsoonerfan
4/17/2007, 05:28 AM
of course, Edmond...are also very nice...

edmond freakin' SUCKS dude. no two ways about it. it's expensive, very crowded, overpriced, very snobby, and everyone here drives like it's nascar here.

Taxman71
4/17/2007, 05:59 AM
I always tell people that Norman is the hardest place to buy a house b/c there are so many cool places to live

West Norman (Brookhaven, close to shopping and restaurants)
Campus area (no brainer for football fans, very cool and historic)
East Norman (reasonably priced, still a college atmosphere)
Far East Norman (acreage, close to lake to fish)
South of HW 9 (acreage and golf available, close enough to everything except OKC)
The Trails area for golf and an established neighorhood

I went with North Central Norman. Easy to OKC, only a couple miles from campus (run or bike friendly) yet far away from WalMart, Target, etc.

I hate that Robinson exit off I-35 South, but Brookhaven is a nice hood. I just can't pay over $400k to have zero backyard. Everyone does it, but I just can't.

FYI - Check out the prices of housing in Blanchard. New houses aren't cheap anywhere.

Jeopardude
4/17/2007, 09:16 AM

I think it's starting. A house down the street from me was orginally listed at 230K (TONS more than we paid for ours) and is now listed at 180K after 9 months. I'm guessing it'll go down at least another 20K soon.

frankensooner
4/17/2007, 09:33 AM
edmond freakin' SUCKS dude. no two ways about it. it's expensive, very crowded, overpriced, very snobby, and everyone here drives like it's nascar here.
BOOO!!!

I live in South Edmond and it is very nice.

LilSooner
4/17/2007, 09:54 AM
Blanchard.

THREE golf courses, good schools, nice people, tons of new houses. You can also still find some land. Also, it's only 20 min south of the city and they just passed the liquor by the drink so we are primed to get some good restaurants.

Edmond or as I like to call is South Guthrie sucks major monkey balls. We have friends up there and every time we go see them I tell Ryan that I could never live up there.

Taxman71
4/17/2007, 10:18 AM
Blanchard is great if you work in or around Norman. If you work in OKC, you are stuck with a pretty stiff commute.

crawfish
4/17/2007, 10:22 AM
Does traffic still succ around the Brookhaven area? I grew up there, but when I go back it seems they expanded it without changing the roads.

My parents live in Crystal Lakes. It's a really, really nice neighborhood, but who knows what the Riverwind is gonna bring in next doors. :(

mdklatt
4/17/2007, 10:37 AM
Does traffic still succ around the Brookhaven area?

It certainly does on weekends, especially along Robinson between 36th and I-35. Main is teh lose along that same stretch, too. I don't know about rush hour.

I grew up there, but when I go back it seems they expanded it without changing the roads.

Yep. That should be the Norman motto: Big City Traffic. Small Town Roads.

Taxman71
4/17/2007, 11:14 AM
They are due to expand Tecumseh to a four-lane road from 24th NW (where Sysco is) all the way east to at least Sooner Road (12th NW) and likely further. That should help more of the new housing additions in East Norman.

That being said, construction in Brookhaven (and the west side in general) has not slowed much at all. Everywhere else in Norman it appears to have slowed to a crawl.

Sounds like a good time to finish my bonus room. Anyone know of a Norman-area contracter to do an easy 300 bonus room conversion?

Sooner98
4/17/2007, 12:55 PM
Traffic in Brookhaven improved a bunch when they expanded Robinson between 36th and 48th to four lanes a little over a year ago. They're also expanding 36th near Main, around the mall, which will be a headache for a while, but will be teh win when they are finished.