PDA

View Full Version : Remember 10 years ago

The_Red_Patriot
4/16/2007, 09:54 AM
when we had just lost to San Diego State 51-31, Kansas 52-24 and Nebraska 73-21?

My the times have changed:D

I had to remind some OU fans of that yesterday.

You know, the ones that constantly have a problem with our coaching.

Collier11
4/16/2007, 12:07 PM
Those were the days, the closest that we will ever know what it is like to be an aggy!

OU4LIFE
4/16/2007, 12:37 PM
well to be fair, even in those days, we beat aggy. and we were horrible.

Fraggle145
4/16/2007, 12:40 PM
In '98 the student section was a lot more comfortable ;)

the dude
4/16/2007, 12:51 PM
I remember my aunt taking me to games back. I used to run up and down the empty stands trying to catch field goals in the north end zone.

Collier11
4/16/2007, 01:08 PM
well to be fair, even in those days, we beat aggy. and we were horrible.

To be expected!

Collier11
4/16/2007, 01:09 PM
In '98 the student section was a lot more comfortable ;)

I remember buying my season tix when I was a senior in hs which was right after Stoops was hired, it only cost me $130 for a whole season. Now...yikes!!!

Boomer_Sooner_sax
4/16/2007, 02:11 PM
when we had just lost to San Diego State 51-31, Kansas 52-24 and Nebraska 73-21?

I was at that Kansas game. That was a long afternoon I tell ya. I remember being able to walk up the week of the game and buying tickets. I am so happy we are where we are at today.

soonersweetie
4/16/2007, 02:50 PM
I was watching the replay of the Missouri/Nebraska game on Friday night and down at the bottom where the scores go across it showed OSU (ranked 23rd in the nation) beating OU at home 23-7 in the 4th qtr.

I thought, wow, how sad is that. Thank you Coach Stoops

TheUnnamedSooner
4/16/2007, 04:29 PM
I still can't believe we were able to score 21pts against nebbish

OUstud
4/16/2007, 05:11 PM
Sad part about the NU game, I think we held them scoreless first quarter, then they went OU vs. A&M 03 on us.

sooner94
4/16/2007, 05:19 PM
I was at the San Diego Sate game and remember being taunted by their fans. That was REALLY tough to deal with.

Then the next year I was in Berkley for the Cal game, and we were taunted again. It was kind of funny when a couple of hippies called me a "Fuc*in Redkneck."

I responded with a Peace sign minus the index finger.

Thanks Coach Stoops. We Love You Man!

Collier11
4/16/2007, 05:22 PM
Off the subject a little but going along with what s94 was talking about, I had an awesome moment at Oregon last year. Me and my boys walk into the stadium minding our business trying to find our seats, we decided to stand at that wall that went around the endzone and watch some warm-ups when this drunken idiot Oregon fan walked up and pushed me out of the way. I was trying to stay calm so I didnt get arrested so I grabbed the guys arm and asked him what his problem was, so he says this is Oregon and im not gonna let some sooner stand where I want to stand. Just as I was fixing to get ****ed off, an Oregon fan grabbed him by his neck, pushed his drunk azz out of the way and told him to quit being a d*ck before he kicked his azz. It was awesome and the look on the little punks face was priceless!!!

picasso
4/16/2007, 06:00 PM

yeah, remember that Kansas game, we had a ton of total yardage and still got pasted. it even made for a good story in the paper.

Harry Beanbag
4/16/2007, 06:23 PM
I was at the San Diego Sate game and remember being taunted by their fans. That was REALLY tough to deal with.

Then the next year I was in Berkley for the Cal game, and we were taunted again. It was kind of funny when a couple of hippies called me a "Fuc*in Redkneck."

I responded with a Peace sign minus the index finger.

Thanks Coach Stoops. We Love You Man!

We got taunted by pastel-wearing UCLA fans in Pasadena two years ago. It doesn't matter how good of a program OU has at the time, if you're on the road and getting beat, the idiots will let you know about it.

goingoneight
4/16/2007, 06:59 PM

Most of them weren't fans until we started winning again, so you'll have to fill them in on Schnellenboozer and Boo. :cool:

AzianSooner
4/16/2007, 07:39 PM
I spent whole game time to watch cheerleaders.

LittleWingSooner
4/16/2007, 07:40 PM
At least we had De'Mond then. He was fun to watch.

goingoneight
4/16/2007, 07:47 PM
DeMond playing for 90's OU is like sending AD to play for Mike Gundy or Guy Morris.

freshchris05
4/16/2007, 07:49 PM
gibbs, schnelly, boo i remember some sad saturdays as a kid... i used to watch the old neb vs ou games with my dad and i remember being pwned by nebraska thinking dad dont we always beat these guys? those were rough games and it makes me laugh whenever they said we were trying to run up the score in the 04 game.....

Octavian
4/16/2007, 08:09 PM
We got taunted by pastel-wearing UCLA fans in Pasadena two years ago.

Yes, they were awful....first time for them to beat Oklahoma after several whippings and they ate it up.

I'd love to reschedule UCLA as soon as possible.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/17/2007, 07:28 AM
At least we had De'Mond then. He was fun to watch.

And Kelly Gregg, he was probably the most fun lineman to watch evar.

oKOIhoma fan
4/17/2007, 08:26 AM
I remember Schelly's first year. We were ranked, top ten I believe, and were playing Colorado and he had us thinking we were awesome. Man what a waste of a Saturday night THAT was.

OUDoc
4/17/2007, 08:31 AM
I remember Schelly's first year. We were ranked, top ten I believe, and were playing Colorado and he had us thinking we were awesome. Man what a waste of a Saturday night THAT was.
That was the night I decided to never sit in the student section again. Of course I'd graduated 7 years earlier, so I probably should have figured that out before then.

stoopified
4/17/2007, 09:31 AM
Y'all have done it now the nightmarish memories have come flooding back.Oh the humanity,someone please make it STOP.Thank GOD for Bob Stoops and give Joe C. an attaboy Too.

The_Red_Patriot
4/17/2007, 10:00 AM
Most of them weren't fans until we started winning again, so you'll have to fill them in on Schnellenboozer and Boo. :cool:

wow! Shotgun blast of truth

fadada1
4/17/2007, 05:06 PM
I remember buying my season tix when I was a senior in hs which was right after Stoops was hired, it only cost me $130 for a whole season. Now...yikes!!!
$20 my freshman year. $20 for basketball as well. now i can't even fill half my tank for $20.

sooner518
4/17/2007, 05:31 PM
I remember watching Fuente warming up in the endzone from my seat in the south stands and thinking we were gonna be something special.

yikes

SoonerObsession
4/17/2007, 09:39 PM
Ahhhhhh, the days of a three quarterback carousel. The days when our special teams dashed the hopes of an almost good day of football. One thing I could never understand during those days was why teams didn't just throw the ball every down against us. I remember watching pregame warm ups and how disorganized it was. I wanted to shoot myself after every game. You know you're brainwashed beyond any help from a psychiatrist when you thought they had a chance each week. I too want to thank Bob Stoops and all the other people who brought greatness back to Oklahoma Football.

Soonerus
4/17/2007, 10:48 PM
I went to all of the home games then, it helps to appreciate the present state of affairs....and the prior state of affairs....It was surprising how many band-wagoners did not show for those years and games...

goingoneight
4/17/2007, 11:00 PM
Well, I couldn't exactly afford to make the trip during the 90's except for a few occasions in Spring Ball, and I watched Okie Light wax OUr azzes in 1998 (but that wasn't in Nompton). I always cringed, watching in pain whenever Boo's team was on TV. I thought that maybe after the OU/TX game in 1996... just maybe Boo had turned a little bit of a corner, but the next few weeks seemed to settle that argument. I have to be honest with you, when we got OUr azzes handed to us by the likes of aggy and aggy lite in 1998, I actually found myself admiring what R.C. Scrotum and Simmons were doing RIGHT... :eek: My dad even said the words, "I wish we'd have axed Blake Sooner and we could've gotten Mack Brown." Mack has turned out alright, but damn... it's like some of OUr fans are so desperate for another MNC, that they'll stoop to anything to get it. I can assure you when we joined the BIG 12, I could only DREAM of going 12-2, beating Nebraska in the BIG 12 Championship and going into overtime against an undefeated team in the FIESTA BOWL...

I took a lot of insult wearing my OU stuff those days... especially in school... but it was on that fateful night I had my MNC party in January 2001-- those people finally shut up. :)

Soonerus
4/17/2007, 11:03 PM
Blake used to lock himself in his office and play video games, instead of game-planning, recruiting, etc... sad...

OKC-SLC
4/17/2007, 11:11 PM
That was the night I decided to never sit in the student section again. Of course I'd graduated 7 years earlier, so I probably should have figured that out before then.
I was in the student section, front row, about the 35 yd line.

We were, I think, ranked 10th. CU was something like 4th. I remember the residents in Walker had put signs down the windows in the vertex of the wings saying "Hey ESPN, we're gonna beat the hell out of the buffs".

I remember watching at the north end of the field, fairly up close, the CU players warming up. My buddy and I couldn't help but notice that their guys were big and fast; their receivers were like gazelles.

Ours, not so much. And the first third of the game was sure fun.

Soonerus
4/17/2007, 11:12 PM
I was in the student section, front row, about the 35 yd line.

We were, I think, ranked 10th. CU was something like 4th. I remember the residents in Walker had put signs down the windows in the vertex of the wings saying "Hey ESPN, we're gonna beat the hell out of the buffs".

I remember watching at the north end of the field, fairly up close, the CU players warming up. My buddy and I couldn't help but notice that their guys were big and fast; their receivers were like gazelles.

Ours, not so much. And the first third of the game was sure fun.

Was that the streaker night ???

OKC-SLC
4/17/2007, 11:14 PM
And I remember that was back when espn had to bring in their lights on trucks for behind the east seats--ours weren't bright enough for a night game.

OKC-SLC
4/17/2007, 11:15 PM
Was that the streaker night ???
not sure. it rings a bell, though. i seem to remember a streaker running from my left (south) to my right (north) on the field at some point.

Soonerus
4/17/2007, 11:19 PM
Funny watching those 80 year old security guards trying to chase...I still laugh about that....

insuranceman_22
4/17/2007, 11:30 PM
Well, I couldn't exactly afford to make the trip during the 90's except for a few occasions in Spring Ball, and I watched Okie Light wax OUr azzes in 1998 (but that wasn't in Nompton). I always cringed, watching in pain whenever Boo's team was on TV. I thought that maybe after the OU/TX game in 1996... just maybe Boo had turned a little bit of a corner, but the next few weeks seemed to settle that argument. I have to be honest with you, when we got OUr azzes handed to us by the likes of aggy and aggy lite in 1998, I actually found myself admiring what R.C. Scrotum and Simmons were doing RIGHT... :eek: My dad even said the words, "I wish we'd have axed Blake Sooner and we could've gotten Mack Brown." Mack has turned out alright, but damn... it's like some of OUr fans are so desperate for another MNC, that they'll stoop to anything to get it. I can assure you when we joined the BIG 12, I could only DREAM of going 12-2, beating Nebraska in the BIG 12 Championship and going into overtime against an undefeated team in the FIESTA BOWL...

I took a lot of insult wearing my OU stuff those days... especially in school... but it was on that fateful night I had my MNC party in January 2001-- those people finally shut up. :)

Dude - that is absolutely beautiful!

Salt City Sooner
4/17/2007, 11:46 PM
"How to Outgain the Opposition 538-368 & STILL Get Your Butt Handed to You on Your Own Field", by John Blake:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores96/96279/96279342.htm

Octavian
4/17/2007, 11:54 PM
"How to Outgain the Opposition 538-368 & STILL Get Your Butt Handed to You on Your Own Field", by John Blake:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores96/96279/96279342.htm

ugh...I remember that now. The year before vs. KU (also in Norman) seemed even worse though. Gerald Moore was having a good game and it looked like we might actually win...they put together a 20 play (or so) drive that seemed to last for 3 hours and wound up beating us. Glen Mason I think. Just awful.

There were so many pitiful losses in the '90s...so much numbness.

It's amazing we're still ahead in virtually all of the AP era and post-WWII rankings.

goingoneight
4/18/2007, 12:58 AM
Dude - that is absolutely beautiful!

[sniff, sniff] I know, ain't it? http://bestsmileys.com/crying/6.gif