PDA

View Full Version : Is an MBA worth it?

Cam
4/15/2007, 09:04 PM
My Dad's been busting my chops about getting my MBA since I finished my undergrad in '94. My stock answer was that I'd only get my MBA at OU, nowhere else. I also said that if we moved back to Oklahoma I'd do it. Since, until recently, we weren't living in Oklahoma, he stopped bringing it up. Well, we're here and I still haven't done it so he's back to asking about it. Not a lot, just a hint here and there.

Here are my issues:
1) I hated school. I did enough to get by, and that was it. I did enough to stay eligible, but not much more. I've only had one company ask me about my college GPA, and that was last year. Nobody else cared, they only cared that I had my piece of paper saying I'd finished.
2) Some schools give a pass on the GMAT for those that have been in the workforce for over 10 years. If OU doesn't, that's something I'm not looking forward to taking.
3) 2 1/2 years is a long time to go to night school. I probably wouldn't be able to start until the Fall of 2008. That would put me 39 years old once I was done.

Do I want to do it? Part of me wants to. The other part has trained enough people with MBA's to know that the letters don't make much difference when it comes to intelligence and business acumen. I've seen enough failed academic theories tried in real-world application to know that the two don't always correlate.

I just don't know that it's worth it now. The thought of missing little league games and school related meetings for 2 1/2 years doesn't exactly thrill me. I kind of think I've missed my window.

Is it really worth having an MBA?

sanantoniosooner
4/15/2007, 09:07 PM
I would only consider it if it gives you obvious superiority over siblings for bragging rights.

soonerscuba
4/15/2007, 09:12 PM
Is your employer willing to foot the bill? If so, it could never hurt. If you are already stable and in management, I don't think it would make much difference. Just my opinion though.

usmc-sooner
4/15/2007, 09:14 PM
one of my profs who I got pretty close with told me it wasn't worth it.

AggieTool
4/15/2007, 09:15 PM
I got mine back in '04. And now I'm on the job hunt.

All I can say is it does open doors that wouldn't be open otherwise.

I'll let you know how it turns out after I'm hired.

royalfan5
4/15/2007, 09:15 PM
As someone who is finishing a hybrid MBA in about six weeks(knock on wood) at a peer university to OU, here is my take. My agribusiness classes were worth it, because I got to work with top notch faculty in the fields of expertise and it was for the most part very practical stuff. A couple of other classes taken via the innerweb were great because of the faculty teaching them. The rest of the program I found to be worth little other than they allowed me to get an MBA because they were required. A regular MBA is mostly signaling behavior rather than useful knowledge, at UNL anyway. I can't imagine it is a whole lot different at OU. I would look at getting your MBA online from a reputable University because I have found my online classes much more useful than all of the in person classes excepting my Ag Econ ones. Just my 2 cents.

One note, my program is essentially a Masters in Ag Econ for people who want to work in industry rather than teach. We just have to sit through pretty worthless core MBA classes instead of lots of impractical theory ones.

GottaHavePride
4/15/2007, 09:16 PM
What about an MIS degree?

VeeJay
4/15/2007, 09:18 PM
Good question.

I was in my mid-30's also when I contemplated the same thing. Unmarried at the time, I could have easily done it, for a cost of around $20,000.

My experience is that if you have an employer who's encouraging you to pursue it, and sharing the cost, or you're in an industry where the degree means more than experience and knowledge, it's a difficult call, especially if you're sacrificing family time, like you mention.

I tend to look up somewhat to MBA's in my professional world, even though I usually don't consider that pedigree necessarily more competent than my own.

One note - I would find my ability to grasp the curriculum and course material much simpler with some "real world" experience rather than a BS with a high GPA and no hands-on experience.

royalfan5
4/15/2007, 09:19 PM
That Junior Varisty comp sci isn't it? All the people I know with MIS degrees have ****ty helpdesk jobs they hate.

AggieTool
4/15/2007, 09:19 PM

MIS/CIS is useless without the numerous certs employers want.

I have a BS in CIS, and it isn't worth a ****e because I don't have SAP, PS, SQL, JAVA, ANALYTICS, .NET, or any of the other certs.

Cam
4/15/2007, 09:24 PM
I would only consider it if it gives you obvious superiority over siblings for bragging rights.
No siblings to worry about.

Is your employer willing to foot the bill? If so, it could never hurt. If you are already stable and in management, I don't think it would make much difference. Just my opinion though.
Not in Management, but have been asked a few times. Don't want to be a Sales Manager, so that kind of limited my options until recently. They'll pay some, but not very much of it.

I would look at getting your MBA online from a reputable University
It's OU or nothing for me.

BajaOklahoma
4/15/2007, 09:25 PM
My eldest just started working on his MBA this Spring. His schedule this semester has him in class two nights a week.

The company he works for is paying for half of the cost, if he keeps his GPA at 3.0 or better. For him to move up in the company - hopefully to partner - he has to have an MBA. And, quite honestly, your competition down here usualy has an MBA, so it is almost required.
He bought a book and reviewed for the GMAT - though I doubt he put much effort into it. Line up your recommendations - that's how I think my son got into the program down here (one of his professors wrote a recommendation - and just happened to be on the acceptance committee).

And Cam, look at this way - that's three years of student tickets!
Good luck!

Rogue
4/15/2007, 09:29 PM
"You can never have too much education."

That said, in your short pros and cons list it sounds like it probably isn't worth the opportunity:cost to you. And, like you said, the degree is just that. All in all I'd say the 2 year MBA is worth about 4 or 5 years of experience in terms of employment opportunities.

soonerscuba
4/15/2007, 09:30 PM
Well, I think that if you have the funds and drive, then go for it. More fancy book learnin' never hurt anybody.

That said, if you really want to get ahead go for the JD/MBA. Also, forgive me for this, but from what I have heard OU's MBA program ain't exactly turning heads. That said, the way they are pumping money into Price, in a few years, that could be quite different.

Cam
4/15/2007, 09:31 PM
Good point about the student tickets, hadn't thought about that.

Not at all worried about the recommendations.

I am worried about getting accepted with my undergrad grades. My guess is that I'd go directly to academic probation until I proved myself.

royalfan5
4/15/2007, 09:31 PM
It's OU or nothing for me.
Does OU have an online program? You don't get an asterisk if you graduate from the online program.

Cam
4/15/2007, 09:32 PM
Does OU have an online program? You don't get an asterisk if you graduate from the online program.
Not that I can find.

Skysooner
4/15/2007, 09:33 PM
I'll put it this way. My company paid for my MBA. It was supposed to be two nights a week (one night of long classes and one of "team" meetings). My team eventually worked it so we did all of those team meetings via e-mail and chat. Without the MBA, I would still be stuck as a staff engineer for the next 20 years. It wasn't really a bad fate, but with the MBA, I worked myself into a planning position that then parlayed itself into a management position at another company. My salary has more than doubled in the last 3 years, so in my case, it was definitely worth it. You just have to know what your goals and possibilities are to determine if it is worth it or not.

royalfan5
4/15/2007, 09:35 PM
Not that I can find.
That surprises me.

Cam
4/15/2007, 09:36 PM
That surprises me.
Not saying there isn't one, just that I couldn't find info on it if there is.

royalfan5
4/15/2007, 09:45 PM
Not saying there isn't one, just that I couldn't find info on it if there is.
I looked, at it doesn't look like OU offers one. That's too bad, by taking about 40% of mine online, I got better scheduling, and access to better courses than I would have otherwise. I'm kind of surprised that OU is that much different than UNL on this, but our program grew out of our ties to the Air Force via Offut, so that may be the difference.

Vaevictis
4/15/2007, 09:51 PM
OU apparently doesn't give a pass. They require a minimum 600 on the GMAT. That's not that hard to do, I took it cold (no prep) on Saturday and got a 620.

The best way to look at an MBA is as a friction reducer. The further you go in your career, the harder it is to get to the next level. The MBA makes it easier. You'll still have to work hard and be good at what you do, but the MBA will basically increase what you get as a result.

Also, as far as your undergrad grades are concerned, they'll usually give you a pass on that as long as you have good experience that they want to "round" the class, and you have a decent GMAT score.

Vaevictis
4/15/2007, 09:59 PM
Also, if your specialty is something OTHER than consulting and/or finance, you will be competing for less competitive slots. From what I've read, most schools set aside a certain number of seats for the "type" of person they want to attract, and the consulting/finance ones are the ones that get the most competition.

crimson monkey
4/15/2007, 10:36 PM
OU does not offer an online program. I started my MBA a year ago and have two years left. Because I have a family, taking classes online is huge. It allows me to stay home and spend valuable time with them. I do all my work after the kids are in bed. It takes about 15-20 of dedicated time per week.

I would have loved to take online classes at OU. I inquired about it and was told that an online program is not even in the works. Too bad. They seem to be behind the curve when it comes to online classes. Because of that ,they lost the opportunity to take my money. It would be interesting to see how much money they lose because of a lack of online programs.

Soonerfan88
4/15/2007, 11:04 PM
The answer to your question is: It depends. Are you in a field/company that requires a Masters to advance? Is the difference in salary worth the money and time you will spend on the degree?

OU offers 2 online Masters programs - Human Relations & Public Administration

http://www.goou.ou.edu/online_educ/index.html

Vaevictis
4/15/2007, 11:17 PM
3) 2 1/2 years is a long time to go to night school. I probably wouldn't be able to start until the Fall of 2008. That would put me 39 years old once I was done.

I would also point out that having it for your 40's and 50's is the ideal time. These are your prime earning years, and thus will be the period of your life when it will have the most impact.

OCUDad
4/15/2007, 11:20 PM
Two ways to look at it:

1. If you are ambitious and have your sights set on upper upper management (VP/CEO level) someday, then go for it. Those three letters open a lot of doors that are otherwise very hard to open.

2. If you're in it for education, knowledge, and skill it provides in doing your job better, I don't think it's worth it, at least not with the level of experience you already have. I've been in the high-tech business for over 30 years, and I've seen a higher "turkey quotient" among MBAs than most other degrees, mostly because a lot of MBAs think the letters alone make them a Much Better Adult and worthy of adoration. Ain't true.

Harry Beanbag
4/16/2007, 06:37 AM
Two ways to look at it:

1. If you are ambitious and have your sights set on upper upper management (VP/CEO level) someday, then go for it. Those three letters open a lot of doors that are otherwise very hard to open.

2. If you're in it for education, knowledge, and skill it provides in doing your job better, I don't think it's worth it, at least not with the level of experience you already have. I've been in the high-tech business for over 30 years, and I've seen a higher "turkey quotient" among MBAs than most other degrees, mostly because a lot of MBAs think the letters alone make them a Much Better Adult and worthy of adoration. Ain't true.

Here's the best answer in the thread. Point #2 is dead on, that's been my experience as well.

AlbqSooner
4/16/2007, 07:04 AM
If you do your MBA online, are the tickets you get just to view the games online?

crawfish
4/16/2007, 07:30 AM
I spent a year on my MBA, then decided it wasn't worth it. That, and the benefit that allowed me to attend TCU for free vanished. :)

If I ever do go back to school, it's gonna be for something fun.

Howzit
4/16/2007, 08:01 AM
I thought about this a few times over the years and never pulled the trigger.

I would say think if you are considering a career change, or if you think there could be a chance of being out looking for a job at some point in the next 5 to 10 years, there is more value.

RacerX
4/16/2007, 08:32 AM
I'm doing it. But not OU. Their program is too many damn hours and I'm too old.

Cam you'll need it later in your career. Do it.

Most all the programs want you to take the GMAT.

landrun
4/16/2007, 09:36 AM
MIS/CIS is useless without the numerous certs employers want.

I have a BS in CIS, and it isn't worth a ****e because I don't have SAP, PS, SQL, JAVA, ANALYTICS, .NET, or any of the other certs.

Heh... that's odd. :(

I am Microsoft certified but haven't finished my BS yet and I have lost on on jobs because of it. I have been told it has been THE reason I didn't get a position.

But I have always been able to get decent jobs (even before my certification) with my experience.

I guess different employers look for different things. :confused:

landrun
4/16/2007, 09:37 AM
btw, I'm accustom to going to night school now and I intend to just keep on going after I complete my BS and jump right into my Masters and finish it.

Harry Beanbag
4/16/2007, 04:18 PM
I guess different employers look for different things. :confused:

Yep. Some employers want style, some want substance. Some want both.

Howzit
4/16/2007, 04:42 PM
Yep. Some employers want style, some want substance. Some want both.

Thank doG mine wasn't worried about either.

Rusher
4/16/2007, 05:02 PM
The thing is, you'll never know it when you need it, so it's better to be equipped than nothing.

I'm taking MBA myself, and it's worth every penny. Higher salary, more preferences (over undergraduates), higher positions you name it.

I hate school, too but what can I say? There are things I can't live without even if I don't like them.

SOONERKAT
4/16/2007, 05:17 PM
Do any major universities offer a Professional MBA at a satellite campus near you? I live outside of Houston, but will have my MBA from the Freeman School of Business (Tulane) in December. My company has foot the bill, so it was an easy sell. As far as advice, I can only echo that of several before me; If it applies to your field, if it impacts your ability to promote, or if you want to start your own business ...

I work for one of the largest financial firms in the world. If I don't have some sort of a graduate degree, or a CFA (forget that ****), then I cannot even get a sniff at the next level, let alone my foot in the door.

SoonerBBall
4/16/2007, 10:22 PM
2 weeks from tonight I will be finished with my final MBA class at OU. I learned very little in the program but the letters after my name are worth every penny I paid for it. OCUDad's comments were dead on about it. If you have the money and time to do it, I would suggest it.

sooneron
4/17/2007, 08:29 AM
I can't post on this, not knowing what field you are in.

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 08:42 AM
Strawberry.

Boomer.....
4/17/2007, 08:48 AM
x2.

I would depend on whether you are in a very broad field, like business, or a more specialized field, like engineering. I have always been told that experience is worth more than an MBA. I graduated with a civil engineering degree and two of my friends went on for their MBA while I went straight to work. They are done and working, yet I am making more money and have over a year more of experience. Of course, it depends on the company and who you know.

sooneron
4/17/2007, 08:58 AM
Strawberry.
I was expecting Owen.:texan:

stonecoldsoonerfan
4/17/2007, 01:00 PM
And Cam, look at this way - that's three years of student tickets!
Good luck!

if that doesn't settle it, you're not as smart as i thought you were. ;)

Vaevictis
4/17/2007, 01:02 PM
x2.

I would depend on whether you are in a very broad field, like business, or a more specialized field, like engineering. I have always been told that experience is worth more than an MBA. I graduated with a civil engineering degree and two of my friends went on for their MBA while I went straight to work. They are done and working, yet I am making more money and have over a year more of experience. Of course, it depends on the company and who you know.

So it sounds like you're only what, 4 years into your career? Check back with them in 10-15 years. :)

What I would expect would happen in your field is that you'll get a PE license in the next couple of years, your salary will shoot up, they'll get a PE shortly after you, their salary will shoot up, and in about 5-7 years, assuming they're reasonably competent and motivated, they'll start pulling away.

Boomer.....
4/17/2007, 01:26 PM
So it sounds like you're only what, 4 years into your career? Check back with them in 10-15 years. :)

What I would expect would happen in your field is that you'll get a PE license in the next couple of years, your salary will shoot up, they'll get a PE shortly after you, their salary will shoot up, and in about 5-7 years, assuming they're reasonably competent and motivated, they'll start pulling away.
Once again, it depends on what kind of company you work for and how specialized your field is. We all were civil engineers. I became a traffic engineer and they are structural. They will obviously work in larger companies with many other engineers, while I will be at smaller companies. There are not really chances to move up where I am, besides getting my PE, but I get pay increases and big bonuses every year. BTW, I would to have move to A&M or ISU to get a masters in my field.

Vaevictis
4/17/2007, 03:34 PM
Well, really, what I was getting at is that the MBA isn't something that pays off on the front end of your career -- in your 40s and 50s is when it really starts to pay.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/17/2007, 04:14 PM

I got a MIS degree from OU in '03 and have never used it as I'm currently a lender for a bank. I tried getting into the field several times but without the certs and experience, the degree doesn't help much. Though without it, I wouldn't have this job (required a business degree), which I'm enjoying.

Cam
4/18/2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.

To answer the what field are you in question: Business. Do I have a specialty? Whatever job they re-org me to next month. I'm on my 3rd position and 5th manager in 12 months due to re-orgs.

I got some info in the mail and they have an MBA that focuses on process improvement. That's pretty much in my wheel house, so it's got me thinking very hard about it.