PDA

View Full Version : Questions about OU Camp!

sooner n houston
4/15/2007, 08:35 PM
My son and one of his friends will be attending OU Football Camp this year. Any one know what goes on at camp? They will both be 15 by the time camp rolls around.

The Oklahomefootballcamp web site says they pratice in sholder pads and helmets. Do they hit? Do they tackle?

Is there any chance for the kids to get autographs? Should/can they bring an un-signed ball and try to get some sig's?

TIA! :D

Jello Biafra
4/15/2007, 10:07 PM
My son and one of his friends will be attending OU Football Camp this year. Any one know what goes on at camp? They will both be 15 by the time camp rolls around.

The Oklahomefootballcamp web site says they pratice in sholder pads and helmets. Do they hit? Do they tackle?

Is there any chance for the kids to get autographs? Should/can they bring an un-signed ball and try to get some sig's?

TIA! :D

my son's team has gone the last three years as 8-10 year olds. the 15 year olds will hit but only in drills tackling blocking etc.....

they can bring a ball but it is unlikley there will be any players around. from what i have understood, the players will be well away from the campers by the time camp starts. camp will start around 09:00 and the lifting for the players is prior to 7:00 am. last year rufus actually came and spoke to the kids as well as stoops but other than the coaches and rufus, the rest of the place was a ghost town.

MamaMia
4/15/2007, 10:24 PM
The kids usually get a team photo taken with Coach Stoops. He autographs them before they hand them out.

All_Day_28
4/15/2007, 11:51 PM
when I went (when Gibbs was the coach) we were able to get autographs, but things could be a little different now..

bstuff1979
4/16/2007, 12:34 AM
I went when Gibbs was at the helm. Can't remember what exactly went on with photos and autographs, but I know(or at least this is what I remember) that they didn't have the junior high kids in pads. It was pretty much what you would expect. Kids were divided by position where the position coaches ran you through drills that focused mainly on technique. To sum it up, it was sort of like a lighter version of high school two-a-days. Can't say what all went on with the high school camp.

insuranceman_22
4/16/2007, 12:46 AM
I went back when Barry was the man! Same deal, I was a LB and we had helmet's and shoulder pads. Worked a lot on shedding blocks and they did indeed preach aggression! It was great, but no autograph's back then.....

arlington
4/16/2007, 11:45 PM
I have a 14 year old that wants to go.Has anyones son attended and is it a good investment?

Ash
4/16/2007, 11:57 PM
I was thinking of asking my nephew if he wanted to attend one of these...is it better to wait until the kids have some experience in the sport at a certain level before signing them up?

the dude
4/17/2007, 02:54 AM
Never went and don't know anybody who has, but to answer the last two people with a guess that sounds right...

Arlington - probably depends. If you can afford it without it being a problem, send 'em. If he's pretty good and has aspirations to continue to play (serious ones) send 'em. It sounds like it would be a great opportunity to meet other like-minded people, learn a lot about the game, and experience something really cool. If your son is flippant with interests, maybe not worth the investment.

Ash - Same answer. If your kid is really into football, there is probably stuff that could teach him at any level. Two biggest factors would have to be the interest level and financial situation.

bstuff1979
4/17/2007, 08:37 AM
I was thinking of asking my nephew if he wanted to attend one of these...is it better to wait until the kids have some experience in the sport at a certain level before signing them up?

I would say (and the camp has surely changed to some degree since I went back in around '92 or so) that if he's playing high school ball or if he's really one of the better players in junior high, it could be worth the time and energy. I think a good high school camp could be more bang for the buck, but that all depends on what exactly you would want to get out of it. The camp was fun, but remove the sense of awe in having it read "OU" football camp and (for me) it didn't do any more for me than a high school camp would have. Of course, you should keep in mind that I was the greatest 2nd string tight end in the history of secondary sports.

arlington
4/17/2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks guys..I will sign him up and the price is very good at $225 for the drop off or $285 for overnight..My son went to the UNT camp overnight 2 years ago and had a great experience..He will be a freshman in HS this fall and he wanted to get into a contact camp and i guess this is a half contact camp..He is very skilled but not the most aggressive kid on the block yet so i do not want a shorts/t-shirt camp..

Went to O-D camp when he was 11 but they didnt teach tackling fundamentals very well, at least not for the junior high kids and at $640 that was pricey..

Both camps were worth it from my kids perspective, especially the UNT camp. For any parent who wants there kid to attend college, and im not necessarily talking about playing athletics, just attending college, its of tremendous value to have your kids actually experience living in a campus dorm, away from home, with kids from different environments..The actual football stuff was just a bonus.

If any parents on here sign there kids up and plan on watching some of the practices, let me know.

sooner n houston
4/17/2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks everyone, If anyone has more info please post! Thanks.

insuranceman_22
4/17/2007, 10:58 PM
If you've got a kid interested in a camp like this and it's not going to strain the family finance's, definately send him. It's an experience they'll keep with them for a long time. They'll also see a clearer picture of what it takes to actually earn a college scholly in football. Few if any of the campers will be OU material, but some will.

Ash
4/17/2007, 11:17 PM
If you've got a kid interested in a camp like this and it's not going to strain the family finance's, definately send him. It's an experience they'll keep with them for a long time. They'll also see a clearer picture of what it takes to actually earn a college scholly in football. Few if any of the campers will be OU material, but some will.

Are you kidding? My nephew's already Heisman material! :texan:

Thanks for the info and advice, everyone. I think I'll hold off until the kid shows more serious interest.