PDA

View Full Version : Do they still make naugahyde furniture?

royalfan5
4/15/2007, 05:26 PM
I'd like to get a naugahyde futon like my Grandma has. Searching the e-bays didn't yield much. Are these still available anywhere?

soonerbrat
4/15/2007, 06:24 PM
check on craig's list

AlbqSooner
4/15/2007, 06:52 PM
If I recall correctly naugahyde was made with DDT. Probably not available anymore.

royalfan5
4/15/2007, 07:27 PM
apparently, they still make naugahyde. I just can't find a place that sells new furniture on the web yet. Now I just need to find some fake wood paneling and I'll really be in business.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/15/2007, 08:01 PM
If I recall correctly naugahyde was made from yearling Naugas, laced with DDT. No wonder it fell out of style. Probably not available anymore.Got that right!

Okla-homey
4/16/2007, 05:08 AM
The last known nauga died in 1983. They were hunted to extinction for their colorful and decorative hides. Thus, no more naugahide furniture today. Vinyl, The artificial substitute for the hide of naugas has filled the void.

SoonerTerry
4/16/2007, 05:21 AM
your gonna be the envy of the trailer park..;)

soonerboomer93
4/16/2007, 06:10 AM
save the Nauga's

http://www.naugahyde.com/

crawfish
4/16/2007, 08:01 AM
I think they started using Snipe skins instead.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/16/2007, 12:06 PM
The last known nauga died in 1983. They were hunted to extinction for their colorful and decorative hides. Thus, no more naugahide furniture today. Vinyl, The artificial substitute for the hide of naugas has filled the void.Where'd you get that nonsense? They have been bringing in the natural Nauga from Mars, to the factory in Huehuetanango, and quietly making a fortune.

TUSooner
4/16/2007, 04:01 PM
The last known nauga died in 1983. They were hunted to extinction for their colorful and decorative hides. Thus, no more naugahide furniture today. Vinyl, The artificial substitute for the hide of naugas has filled the void.

You've got to get up mighty early to beat Homey to the punch. :twinkies:

achiro
4/16/2007, 04:16 PM
Save the Naugas (http://www.naugahyde.com/promoitems_nauga.html)

proud gonzo
4/16/2007, 04:23 PM
The last known nauga died in 1983. They were hunted to extinction for their colorful and decorative hides. Thus, no more naugahide furniture today. Vinyl, The artificial substitute for the hide of naugas has filled the void.the Naugas are nocturnal, hairless, aquatic mammals of many colors that live in the Naugatuck River, and can be made to come to the surface at night by shining a flashlight into the water. The Naugas are then captured and sorted by color to be made into the various colors of Naugahyde. Allegedly, when rolled together on a mechanical press, the seams between the Naugas disappear, resulting in a seamless, leather-like product. It is common knowledge that it takes seven and a half "Nauguas" to make a standard sized couch.

Suerreal
4/16/2007, 06:04 PM
I own a Nauga.

I got him for Christmas one year. My dad worked for Uniroyal (who made Naugahyde back in the 60s and 70s) I still have him.

- Sue

jdsooner
4/16/2007, 09:50 PM
I went on a Nauga hunt once and found a snipe!